Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The New "Ultimate" Custom Dansco US Type Set Album

13»

Comments

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark me down as "total impressed" with the outcome of your Dansco project. I think you did an amazing job!!!

Thanks for sharing the journey.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Bullet01Bullet01 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    Super cool!

Were it me, I'd skip the bullion ASE in favor of adding the 1878 and 1921 Morgan, and 1921 peace subtypes.

The Sac dollars and Presidential dollars are tough, far too many different types to include them all, yet picking one seems odd, too.

I'd probably end the whole thing at year 2000 and skip all the recent stuff.

That said, overall, vast improvement and kudos!

Ps: about that custom page....😉

All these options were such a back and forth thing in my head. I am kicking myself a little about not doing high relief and reg strike Peace dollars.

A part of me wanted to keep it simple and the other part wanted to add every single variety and type to the book. I chose to stay in the middle and refer to how PCGS breaks them down in coinfacts.

In the end, it still displays wonderfully when flipping through it in the book.

• Options

PS. What would people like to see for a new gold page?? I'm far from being super knowledgeable about gold but post your thoughts.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

4 kinds of gold dollars (to include open wreath type 1)
    Classic head quarter and half eagle.
    3 dollar
    No motto and with motto libs (3 x 20s)
    No motto and with motto Indian 10 and saints.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has "absolutely impressive" been included in all the superlatives thrown your way?

• Options
    dan_marinellidan_marinelli Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

I absolutely am impressed with your work and dedication to this project. Years from now after we are long gone, I imagine this being in the Stacks/Bowers/Heritage auction listed as: "Unique, possibly Dansco prototype album, which however much we tried getting in touch with Dansco descendants could not verify authenticity. Our estimate: $1.2M"

And then in hammers at $1.4M !!!

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    Super cool!

Were it me, I'd skip the bullion ASE in favor of adding the 1878 and 1921 Morgan, and 1921 peace subtypes.

The Sac dollars and Presidential dollars are tough, far too many different types to include them all, yet picking one seems odd, too.

I'd probably end the whole thing at year 2000 and skip all the recent stuff.

That said, overall, vast improvement and kudos!

Ps: about that custom page....😉

I'd swap the ASE for a bust dollar. Seated dollars are now just about on a price par with some lower grade Bust ones.
    The Dansco system of two seated dollars isn't much of a change.

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

Page looks great! They appear to be some beautiful examples.
    Once again, I like your coin choices.
    The Dansco gold type page I'm using is missing the 4 coins that you've included holes for.
    All 4 are reasonably obtainable and should have been included.
    Put me down for one of these when you start production.

• Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, but really wish instead of denominations someone would build a book by type. so all seated in one section, capped bust in one area, etc. that would be a cool set to look at.

• Options

I would love to produce multiple versions of albums. Like a level series of type sets such as "Basic US Type Set", "Regular US Type Set", and "Elite US Type Set". All depending how complete you want your collection to be.

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool project

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullet01 said:
    Variety is everything.
    Why include the 1796 small eagle quarter?? If you have the $$$ to own one, are you really gonna stick it in an album? I think most people will have that coin encapsulated by one of the grading companies instead. The Heraldic eagle is more attainable to own and display in a nice F15 or even VF20

There's a reason why Chain Cents, Flowing Hair Dollars, and etc are not even included in albums.

I remember the Whitman Small Denomination Type set from years ago... spots for a Chain Cent, 93 Half Cent, '96 quarter. .. it was unobtainium back then. Now that I might actually buy one, I'd buy authenticated and keep it that way.

I'm actually thinking about finishing the 7070, and then go for a box of 20 that included some 18th Century type...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

Any thoughts on producing a run of these for sale?

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed watching to process from start to finish. Very cool.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive! You do very nice work @Bullet01

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did a terrific job making your album as it looks professionally done.

This album and all the pieces in it look amazing.

Good luck picking up the rest of your pieces.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Album looks great. Quite the learning experience.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

@Butteredfatkid said:
    Any thoughts on producing a run of these for sale?

Nope. It took me months to create just mine and I don't think Dansco is in business anymore to acquire more blank pages.

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

I like your type selections better than Dansco or Whitman. (maybe too many motto/no mottos though)
    Enjoyed watching the process from the beginning. Skillfully done!
    There's room next to the ASE for the Innovation Dollars....?

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Cool... :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

I really like what you've accomplished here! Nice coins, too.

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• Options

@rip_f said:
    I like your type selections better than Dansco or Whitman. (maybe too many motto/no mottos though)
    Enjoyed watching the process from the beginning. Skillfully done!
    There's room next to the ASE for the Innovation Dollars....?

I was on the fence with those Innovation Dollars. I really thought they were just horrendous but now I'm warming up to them. I'll probably add the new 2021 ASE redesign and the Innovation dollar in the future.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely fantastic execution, thanks for sharing! There's a lot to be said for collecting and organizing your collection "your way". Here on this forum is where we're most likely to share what we do with other like minded folks, and the unique nature and professional look of your set deserves to be noted.

• Options
    Buzzy56Buzzy56 Posts: 1
    edited December 22, 2023 12:54PM

Heya, i was wondering if there was any way i could pay for you to design (template, not make one) one of these with basically every us type coin besides the gold and commemoratives, if needed I could pool every coin I wanted and the years they were there, thanks!

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

The new update page is awesome 👏🏾

Mr_Spud

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice album and a collection to be proud of.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file