Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The New "Ultimate" Custom Dansco US Type Set Album

Comments

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

My son made some projects at school with a laser cutter. Etched some logos on glass and metal. Used the laser to cut out wood and made a backgammon board. Pretty cool stuff. My concern with the laser cutter is burnt edges, it definitely smokes the edges of wood. Maybe the commercial lasers won't do that but thought to mention that as a question to look at.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's hard to say what a market for something like this would be, what Copyrights might be involved and how long Dansco would keep the supply line open. for that matter, they might even choose to make something similar, customized pages/albums on order for a cost.

I'd imagine it may be worth spending the long dollar for the best equipment since it seems probable that you'll be able to sell these when perfected.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.danscoalbumstore.com/

Have you tried contacting Dansco direct? They HAVE all the tools and jigs.
    They ...might... do a custom run. I expect you'd have to pay for the run but it might be worth it if your idea is.

:)

• Options
    Bullet01Bullet01 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Dansco would never do that. Just getting a hold of them was a struggle. No email, no website. Phone only and you have to write your own order and mail them a check. They couldn't even tell me what my FedEx tracking # was. They still run their business like it's 1986.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great project. I'm anxious to see the finished product.

FWIW, a technique I use to deal with a Dansco hole that is a little too large is to insert a thin strip of clear plastic around the inside of the empty hole, effectively making it smaller. A spare Dansco window slider works great.

The thin strip should be about 1/8th of an inch tall and a few inches wide, depending on the size of the hole and how oversized it is. A hole much too big may need a longer strip to wrap around the inside more than once. A hole only marginally large would require a shorter strip.
    Lance.

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks great so far, can’t wait to see the final result!

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    Great project. I'm anxious to see the finished product.

FWIW, a technique I use to deal with a Dansco hole that is a little too large is to insert a thin strip of clear plastic around the inside of the empty hole, effectively making it smaller. A spare Dansco window slider works great.

The thin strip should be about 1/8th of an inch tall and a few inches wide, depending on the size of the hole and how oversized it is. A hole much too big may need a longer strip to wrap around the inside more than once. A hole only marginally large would require a shorter strip.
    Lance.

I started doing that long ago when I was in the Dansco mode. No more turning coins. :)

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that really looks great. A job well done.

Thanks for sharing your process.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks nice! you'll be able to show off and brag about not only the coins but the book that holds them.

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

It might be easier to find a Forsner bit that matches the A size Airtites so that the holes are all the same size. Maybe a larger Forsner bit for the larger coins in Airtites. Could possibly use only two size holes and have nice versatility.

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you going to add both large and small diameter bust quarters? This is awesome.

• Options

@Wahoo554 said:
    Are you going to add both large and small diameter bust quarters? This is awesome.

This is my planned layout for the next 2 pages.

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭

What are you using to cut the holes? Looks really sweet with the screenprint.

imageimage

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

There might be a hobby or craft store that will cut the holes for you. I have a store called Hobby Lobby here in St. Louis and they will cut the holes if you supply them the template or just the size of the holes. They have machines that cut into foam board and other composites and do the whole page at once. Might be something to consider. I used the same cutter that you tried, but I only had eight holes to do. It still was very difficult and I had to sand every hole.

• Options

@mrcommem said:
    There might be a hobby or craft store that will cut the holes for you. I have a store called Hobby Lobby here in St. Louis and they will cut the holes if you supply them the template or just the size of the holes. They have machines that cut into foam board and other composites and do the whole page at once. Might be something to consider. I used the same cutter that you tried, but I only had eight holes to do. It still was very difficult and I had to sand every hole.

The circle cutter works perfectly for me now. Don't need to look into anything else. I like having the control of the tool because it's easy to adjust.

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any updates?

• Options

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:
    Any updates?

I will update shortly. Just got married and returned from my honeymoon. Trying to get settled back into things. :)

• Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

This is a really cool project, thanks for posting

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat project, and great execution, i am admittedly surprised at how well your first page turned out.

Have to say though, that i disagree with your changes as much as i do with the original 7070 choices Dansco made.

Were i doing it with blank pages, I wouldn't re-work all the pages, but instead just use the blank pages to add the coins they omitted..

So the 1794-1797 copper, the draped bust heraldic eagle and large size capped bust dimes and quarters, the 1918-1924 quarter, all 3 types of 3cs, the 1873-4 arrows silver, the classic head and no motto coronet gold. The 1910-1913 "no VDB anywhere "cent.

I'd also ignore anything post 2000.

Just my opinion. And if you want to custom build some of us a page or two, let us know! Great execution!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    edited September 1, 2019 12:19PM

Ps: where is your capped bust 1809-1828 dime?? I'd also consider adding 3 styles of capped bust halves, 1807-8, 1809-33, and 1834-6. Also both kinds of reeded edge halves, 50 cents and half dol.

• Options

@Baley said:
    Ps: where is your capped bust 1809-1828 dime?? I'd also consider adding 3 styles of capped bust halves, 1807-8, 1809-33, and 1834-6. Also both kinds of reeded edge halves, 50 cents and half dol.

Ooopps. That was a typo. Should be 1809-1837. Gotta fix that before I screen print.

I know there are a lot of different options to add or do but I feel this way is simple enough and will make a better presentation visually.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullet01 said:

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:
    Any updates?

I will update shortly. Just got married and returned from my honeymoon. Trying to get settled back into things. :)

See ya in about a year.

:D

• Options
    edited September 1, 2019 2:41PM

@Bullet01 said:

@Baley said:

Ooopps. That was a typo. Should be 1809-1837. Gotta fix that before I screen print.

I know there are a lot of different options to add or do but I feel this way is simple enough and will make a better presentation visually.

I'd still recommend breaking it in to two parts, open collar (large) and closed collar (small) coins, they are very distinct, different diameters and subtle design changes.

And, once again, if i can bribe you to make a custom page for me, I just need a new page 1 for the early types (hello flowing hair and draped bust coins!) and a new page 5 for the later sub- types, the rest of the pages are already awesome..

• Options

Update! Page 2 complete. Have to do some touch ups on the letters with a Micron pen since the screen print lost some details at certain points.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an ambitious project.

I look forward to monitoring your progress towards the completed set!

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

Updated the layout for page 3 consisting of Dimes and Quarters.

• Options

I would make the early coins more inclusive. Like draped bust dimes. Why limit it with "Heraldic Eagle?" The small eagles were about the same size.
    Same with DB quarters. Do 1796 - 1807.
    Unlikely to be a 1796 in there but who knows?
    Do collectors really want that many varieties in major types?
    I liked the Whitman Bookshelf albums. A single MAJOR design covered many years. Even that one had both motto and no motto on some stuff.

Me, I find variety of obverses the most interesting when displayed.

• Options

Variety is everything.
    Why include the 1796 small eagle quarter?? If you have the $$$ to own one, are you really gonna stick it in an album? I think most people will have that coin encapsulated by one of the grading companies instead. The Heraldic eagle is more attainable to own and display in a nice F15 or even VF20

There's a reason why Chain Cents, Flowing Hair Dollars, and etc are not even included in albums.

• Options
    edited September 6, 2019 12:38PM

@Bullet01 said:
    Variety is everything.
    Why include the 1796 small eagle quarter?? If you have the $$$ to own one, are you really gonna stick it in an album? I think most people will have that coin encapsulated by one of the grading companies instead. The Heraldic eagle is more attainable to own and display in a nice F15 or even VF20

There's a reason why Chain Cents, Flowing Hair Dollars, and etc are not even included in albums.

Did I mention having only one hole for the quarter? Lemme look... Nope. Sure didn't
    I suggested using the date range for ALL draped bust things. The USER can select any coin they want.
    Like "1796-1807"

That Whitman imaged above has only one Bust Dollar hole. Since FH dollars aren't immensively pricey, skipping the motto/no motto SEATED dollar could free up some space and some money.

But so what?

I don't see a trend towards albums in anything but cheaper coins.

• Options
    edited September 6, 2019 12:47PM

A similar conversation probably went on at Dansco when the album was being designed 😉

So, you will have to choose a size for your capped bust dime hole.. either too small for the 1809-28, or too large for the 1828-37?

Also, so all the seated dimes including the 1873-4 arrows, but no 1873-4 quarter??

Sorry to be a pain but not understanding your logic.

PS: if space/layout symmetries are the issue, if it were me, I'd end it in 1964 and drop all the clads and other currently circulating ultra-moderns.

• Options

@topstuf said:

@Bullet01 said:
    Variety is everything.

Did I mention having only one hole for the quarter? Lemme look... Nope. Sure didn't
    I suggested using the date range for ALL draped bust things. The USER can select any coin they want.
    Like "1796-1807"

That Whitman imaged above has only one Bust Dollar hole. Since FH dollars aren't immensively pricey, skipping the motto/no motto SEATED dollar could free up some space and some money.

But so what?

I don't see a trend towards albums in anything but cheaper coins.

Listen, this album project is for me basically. I find it fun to see something with more variety and better display organization. I appreciate people opinions but it's not that serious and I don't really care about those ugly ass Whitman books.

@Baley said:
    A similar conversation probably went on at Dansco when the album was being designed 😉

So, you will have to choose a size for your capped bust dime hole.. either too small for the 1809-28, or too large for the 1828-37?

Also, so all the seated dimes including the 1873-4 arrows, but no 1873-4 quarter??

Sorry to be a pain but not understanding your logic.

PS: if space/layout symmetries are the issue, if it were me, I'd end it in 1964 and drop all the clads and other currently circulating ultra-moderns.

This pg is def the hardest and came down to layout because of all the damn seated and bust varieties. The capped dime looks exactly the same between the two sizes so I decided to represent both with only one. I might change my mind though since I can fit both lol

The seated quarters to me get a little redundant. I've decided to combine the arrows varieties into just the Arrows & Rays version. With that coin, you can get to see all the varieties in one. Just like the Lincoln cent I did with only having the 1909 VDB..... its a wheat and VDB in one visual spot. I didn't include the 1873-74 quarter arrows because it's not visually different compared to the the dime which has the legend motto.

• Options

Of course, it's your book, but people tend to post here on a coin chat forum to generate discussion, talk about what we see and think, and share ideas about things we notice and find interesting.

There are, however, some posters who only want congratulatory "happy talk!", and folks do their best to oblige them when they make it known that they don't want any conversation about what they post.

You do seem open to ideas, and defend your thoughts without resorting to personal attacks, so goodonya!

Looking forward to future pages in this project!

• Options

Listen, I'm not putting that ugly ass Whitman on the BST! :p>:)

• Options
    jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭

Very cool project! Looks really good so far!

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

Wow - Congratulations! Well done.
    What a professional looking project,
    I don't have your skill set, (but I like your coin choices) so I will use a Dansco stock book and fill the plastic 2 x 2 pages as the holes. I prefer to have my better coins in flips rather than in an album hole anyway.
    I bet the Dansco Co has been monitoring this. They may be in touch,

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicely done, bravo!

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I absolutely love what you have done here. Great job. It looks very professional.

• Options

@rip_f said:
    Wow - Congratulations! Well done.
    What a professional looking project,
    I don't have your skill set, (but I like your coin choices) so I will use a Dansco stock book and fill the plastic 2 x 2 pages as the holes. I prefer to have my better coins in flips rather than in an album hole anyway.
    I bet the Dansco Co has been monitoring this. They may be in touch,

It def took some patience and a steady hand lol. Screen printing the letters was by far the hardest. It came out ok looking but not great.

I wish Dansco would see this but I believe the people at that company are outta touch. They don't even have an online presence unfortunately.

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

"It def took some patience and a steady hand lol."

A steady hand and a lot of sharp blades I bet!
    Enjoy slipping your coins into those pages. Should look great.

Sorry to have to mention this though, the Sacagawea started in 2000 and the Presidentials ended in 2016.
    Very minor. No worries mate.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullet01

Now that is dedication! Thanks for taking the time to share by posting on the forum.

• Options

What are the dark areas at the tops of the holes?

• Options

@rip_f said:
    "It def took some patience and a steady hand lol."

A steady hand and a lot of sharp blades I bet!
    Enjoy slipping your coins into those pages. Should look great.

Sorry to have to mention this though, the Sacagawea started in 2000 and the Presidentials ended in 2016.
    Very minor. No worries mate.

Dammmnnnn!! Big typo on my part. I'll reprint those shortly.

@topstuf said:
    What are the dark areas at the tops of the holes?

Shadows from the scanning.

• Options

Super cool!

Were it me, I'd skip the bullion ASE in favor of adding the 1878 and 1921 Morgan, and 1921 peace subtypes.

The Sac dollars and Presidential dollars are tough, far too many different types to include them all, yet picking one seems odd, too.

I'd probably end the whole thing at year 2000 and skip all the recent stuff.

That said, overall, vast improvement and kudos!

Ps: about that custom page....😉

• Options
    edited October 4, 2019 3:05PM

Btw, you had space, why not separate the 40% silver 1965-1970 and CuNi 1971-present halves??

And among clad coins, the later spaghetti hairs are a distinct subtype...

And...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file