Home U.S. Coin Forum

It's been awhile, show us your 'You Suck'(s)

gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 17, 2020 12:59PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm sure there are many new members (and old timers) who'd appreciate some of our past 'You Suck' recipients flaunting their coveted award-winning coins, with a short explanation, if nothing more than for the sake of nostalgia.

Comments

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes please...I have no idea what a You Suck award winning coin looks like!

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

You Suck! ... usually defined as a major Cherry Pick, multi-point Upgrade, or a raw coin to Gem submission

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2020 3:26PM

“greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭ June 30, 2006 11:33AM
    Some Great Stuff! And it is kind of motivating!

Oh, and MrSpud with your $25 MONSTER 1921-D VAM-1N Retained Cud.....YOU SUCK!!!”

I got one back in 2006, copied and pasted above, only the picture isn’t there anymore. Until/unless I find it, I just now got back from the post office store where I picked up a coin I just cherry picked off of eBay. See picture below of the one I just picked up today. It’s another 21-D Vam, not as desirable as the 1N I got the “you suck” for, but I think it’s cool. It’s either 1i1 or 1i2, I’m not sure yet.

Mr_Spud

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's been awhile, as I recall Marty or Russ would score a raw SMS Kennedy (or unattributed AH 64 Kennedy) and it would grade out MS67DCAM or whatnot. Always a fun read followed by fantastic photos, before and after.

A single couple of neat finds for me was a 71-D Ike that had the most beautiful pastel pink and sky blue smooth toning. I walked it through NGC at Long Beach and it received a MS67 grade. It is also a coin (among others!) I wish I had never sold.

My story of having a $50. ANACS graded "Cheerios Dollar" (on the ANACS insert) before anyone knew they reverse was totally different and unusual was fun. Walking it through NGC and speaking with Mr. Lang at the time. He spent months with the U.S. Mint determining the story behind the coin and then grading it for me as a Discovery Coin Pattern was neat. That was back in the day when NGC offered full color folders describing attributes of the coin. It was a neat presentation when it arrived to me from them.

I also purchased what a local dealer thought was a counterfeit 1795 dollar in AU that actually turned out to be authentic and graded as AU50. I purchased it at 3X's silver as I thought it just looked too cool to not own and was pleasantly taken aback when it was determined to be real.

peacockcoins

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

This isn't mine but just popped up on a FB group I'm on. Guy found these in his father's home after he passed. His day went from crappy to Steak and Lobster tonight!!

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think people stopped sharing some of their scores because a few people on the boards started giving them a hard time about it acting like cherry picking is ripping people off. When I first came to the boards there were way more people sharing fun stories of getting great deals. I really enjoyed the cherry picking stories and was really bummed out when a few people said they were done sharing because it wasn't worth the negative feedback.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

For example - if you see a rare R5 coin unattributed in a dealers inventory selling for melt value would you tell them? Should you tell them?

What about if it is someone who is not a dealer but selling something on eBay? How about a co-worker? Or a little old Grandma? Where do you draw the line? Some people said a dealer should know better but what about someone selling on eBay, are they now considered a dealer in a way?

These types of things always ended up in very heated discussions and then some people just said sharing just isn't worth it. And that is when the "you suck" became less popular in my opinion.

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hchcoin said:
    For example - if you see a rare R5 coin unattributed in a dealers inventory selling for melt value would you tell them? Should you tell them?

What about if it is someone who is not a dealer but selling something on eBay? How about a co-worker? Or a little old Grandma? Where do you draw the line? Some people said a dealer should know better but what about someone selling on eBay, are they now considered a dealer in a way?

These types of things always ended up in very heated discussions and then some people just said sharing just isn't worth it. And that is when the "you suck" became less popular in my opinion.

I did exactly that to the person who took photos of the coins I posted. They had no idea what they were and was about to head to a pawn shop. I saved them from losing thousands.

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Growing up I used to read "coins" magazine and always loved reading the "coin finds section" where people would write in telling about the "scores" they had. Sometimes it was finding an indian cent or a mercury dime in change. Either way it definitely inspired me to search and have fun

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is a 'You Suck'(s)" the same as dreck or a widget? AKA any non-cacs not brokered by the legends??

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2020 7:35AM

Is a 'You Suck'(s)" the same as dreck or a widget? AKA any non-cacs not brokered by the legends??.

No, Legend had no part in You Suck awards. They did originate Dreck and Widget which were definitions if you would, of a coin from their perspective that had issues despite the assigned grade or was a common date example. From what I can recall, for them just about every coin they bought and sold that was valued at less than $100,000 fell in the Dreck or Widget class.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never got one.

• ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my best ones was a 83-0 morgan raw toner for like 40 bucks i thought it was maybe a 64 tops on a good day. Later sent it to our host and came back a 66!! Later sold it for 350 or 400 buck's!!

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:

Please explain!

Collector, occasional seller

@ChrisH821 Id rather keep everyone in suspense. My client who bought may not use the internet. However his family members do.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorites:
    1862 Rupee I picked raw out of a huge collection about 5 years ago. I paid $25 for it.
    Came back from ATS as a 65, population 4/0.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never got a "you suck" award. But I always hoped they would go away.

It is such a nerdy, hackneyed thing to say -- something from the 1980's -- always said by someone attempting to be cool and funny but who had no chance.

I cringe when I hear it.

OTOH I don't begrudge those given this "award". Kudos are deserved, I'm sure. I just wish we could have something less geeky and awkward.
    Lance.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    I have a couple to share. I also recall a "You Suck Hall of Fame" that a few of us got into, but that has seemed to have faded away.
    One was for this nickel, cherried from a raw proof set in OGP - paid no premium.

Another for finding multiple DDR's in unopened proof sets, purchased for no premium. $15 or so IIRC.

That 1961 DDR 50c was quite a cherrypick. I've been trying to cherry one for over 30 years with no luck.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always nice to get a good deal. That being said, I agree with Lance that the appellation could be changed. While I never received the accolade here, Russ once said it to me when I picked an AH set from a table at a coin show just ahead of him.... :D Cheers, RickO

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2020 5:42AM

First of two DDRs I've plucked off Ebay over the past 5 years. Both were in OGP and came at a net cost of about $15 each. Oh, and it's a top pop 67 (there is one 67+ though...)

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well wouldn't it be interesting if our host would take the opportunity to generate some sort of annual award to forum participants who "locate" such "scores" and maybe promote the fact they end up in one of their holders?, in a registry set (as in to promote the registry?), or point out the education/sources/diagnostics required to find said specimens?

Or has it not and never will happen because it: shows the company makes a few mistakes?, or that the dealers they support get messed over from time to time (notice that we are sophisticated enough to not embarrass the dealers) or that some of the coins get graded across the street. Despite the fact this is a heck of a lot more fun than screwing around with geeky "gaming" competition.....Just saying.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • FS_JeffFS_Jeff Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    I have a couple to share. I also recall a "You Suck Hall of Fame" that a few of us got into, but that has seemed to have faded away.

Another for finding multiple DDR's in unopened proof sets, purchased for no premium. $15 or so IIRC.

Have never heard of this error before, but it is very pronounced! Very surprised that you were able to find this raw. Congrats!

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also found a 1961 ddr half in an OGP proof set. In 2011. Fun times.

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it ain't high dollar but I think it counted for a small You Suck award. Bought this at a pawn shop and had a $14.99 sticker on it.

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Earlier thread

Nobody is going to beat SUMORADA's score.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:
    Earlier thread

Nobody is going to beat SUMORADA's score.

that is pretty amazing! 11k of those bad boy mel.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2020 7:44AM

Plucked this one out of a bulk lot that I bought on vacation 10 years ago. Paid either 10 or 15 cents. Got a G4 from PCGS. Sold for approx $750 on ebay IIRC.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't remember if I was officially awarded one for this, but in 2007 when the Presibux first came out, I sent some for "First Day" labels. When I got them back, there were 3 that had missing edge lettering, two of which I sold for Obscene Profit™ and bought a DSLR setup. A related score that wasn't mine that definitely got a You Suck™ was someone who scored an entire box of MEL Washingtons from a bank, and this was when they were going for hundreds each.

Keep in mind, however, that you can't award one to yourself, nor can you suggest or request that it be awarded, otherwise you become ineligible to receive one for that score.

The saying has become popular on VAMWorld, too, and while some people give it out freely, I tend to be quite stingy with it. It has to be special, after all.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    When I got them back, there were 3 that had missing edge lettering, two of which I sold for Obscene >Profit™ and bought a DSLR setup.

NICE!

that ObsProfTm is classic.

A related score that wasn't mine that definitely got a You Suck™ was someone who scored an entire >box of MEL Washingtons from a bank, and this was when they were going for hundreds each.

someone here posted the person and i think linked that thread. i went over and did page searches on a few of that threads pages and found the poster, with images! pretty sick.

if they sold 10k of them for $100 each, that is $1mm @!@!@!@!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since nobody else is awarding platitudes, I nominate @winesteven for an official "you suck" and @JBK and @FS_Jeff for the coveted "you know your stuff" award.
    Good job all!

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cherrypick stuff all the time but never to the level where I got an official You Suck™ award here. Not many homeruns for me, but lots of singles and the occasional ringing double.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

1941 Mercury Dime DDO FS-101
    I Cherrypicked it raw from a dealer at a Winter FUN. It was attractively toned so I had to pay up for it, $50. Lol
    I had it graded at PCGS as MS-65.

I later auctioned it off where it sold for just shy of $1800. It is still the stand alone Top Pop 6 years later.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

At a local auction in Maryland there was a bunch of commemorative German coins I got. All of them I got for a few dollars under melt. The great part was for 5$ I got a East German silver Martin Luther 20 mark that I later sold for 145. (Keep in mind I was 15 at the time).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file