Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:
    @ZoidMeister you unfortunately will not hear from Gluggo on this forum (check out his avatar).
    He did join CoinTalk but I haven't seen him post much there (last active there in June of this year).

One of the pitfalls of being a noob . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@felinfoel said:

Awesome @felinfoel! What a great pick up!

• Options
    edited October 11, 2020 5:15AM

Here's the newest member of my Dan Carr herd.

2013 MMOH O/S 2003 Illinois State Quarter - Double Denomination

I really like the way this is arranged with the word "QUARTER DOLLAR" under the Native America and how the bison is under the word "ILLINOIS". If the nickel die was a bit smaller and didn't cover "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" on the obverse it would be perfect, but II'm not complaining. I like it as is. The way it's designed with the "FIVE CENTS" on the buffalo nickel reverse, makes this a double denomination as well, which increases the appeal to me. There was some spirited bidding for this and ended up at an impressive price. The top two bidders were like 3x bidder number 3. Was number two anyone here?

Here are some other pieces I own. Unfortunately not all of photos.

1933 Indian Head Nickel - Bisecting Reverse Die Crack - ANACS

I have an ANACS slabbed version of this with the die crack across the entire reverse. I'm a big fan of the minting process and love to see evidence of the minting process on pieces like this.

2013 Indian Head Nickel Centennial "20 DOLLARS" - Silver - ANACS MS70

Dan issued 2013 Indian Head Nickel Centennial silver and gold rounds with the standard "FIVE CENTS" denomination, however, he also struck 60 with a "20 DOLLARS" denomination. I'm guessing he did this initially for the gold piece but then decided to use "FIVE CENTS" on the gold pieces. I didn't realize these were issued initially and wanted one for a while after I found about about it and was finally able to pick one up a while back.

2013 Indian Head Nickel Centennial - Off-Center Double Struck Error

I like Dan's off-center, double-struck pieces and this is one of my favorites because neither strike is centered and the core device is smaller so they both fit and you can see concentric rings around them. Because of this, it looks like two nickels revolving around a center in dual orbit. I also like that the two off-center strikes are level with each other. This piece has a lot of good memories because the auction ended when @Lakesammman and visited Dan at the Moonlight Mint. I didn't have good mobile phone reception inside the mint so I anxiously watched the time countdown and stepped out the door to do my manual snipe on my iPhone before winning it and going back inside to do more Minting.

2013 MMOH O/S 2001-D Daniel Carr Bessie Coleman Antiqued Concept Dollar

This is a very special piece because it's overstruck an antiqued 2001-D Daniel Carr Bessie Coleman prototype dollar. I'd like to believe this is from Dan's personal collection because it was struck on an antiqued Bessie Coleman dollar and none were issued antiqued in the Moonlight Mint catalog, but Dan has indicated in the past that he hasn't always kept track of various finishes. I was able to pick it up in 2017, much later than the year of issue.

2013 MMOH O/S Lincoln Cent

I picked this up because I wanted Buffalo nickel in copper :)

2013 MMOH O/S Theodore Roosesvelt Presidential Dollar

This one isn't mine but I really wanted it and missed bidding on the auction. If anyone owns this, I'd love to pick it up :)

• Options

@Zoins said:

2013 MMOH O/S 2003 Illinois State Quarter

I really like the way this is arranged with the word "QUARTER DOLLAR" under the Native America and how the bison is under the word "ILLINOIS". If the nickel die was a bit smaller and didn't cover "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" on the obverse it would be perfect, but II'm not complaining. I like it as is. There was some spirited bidding for this and ended up at an impressive price. The top two bidders were like 3x bidder number 3. Was number two anyone here?

THAT WAS YOU . . . . .?

I'm really really glad I dropped out early on that one and didn't cost you nose bleed change . . . . . .

I was interested in a while, but another "shiny shiny" came up and I went off chasing other squirrels. When I circled back around, my jaw hit the floor. "Spirited Bidding" is an understatement.

I need to check with you the next time I go chasing something. I definitely don't want to (nor can afford to) get in your way.

Anyway, y'all have been reading my mind tonight. After seeing some of the AMAZING Moonlight Mint Open House over strikes you all have been posting, it dawned on me that there are probably TONS of pieces that I haven't seen. I would LOVE to take a gander at these all assembled together in one place, so . . . . . I will start the thread and tag y'all.

Regrets if it caused you to repost what you have already so kind contributed tonight, but I think the MMOH O/S pieces DESERVE a thread of their own, don't you?

Congrats on the State Quarter pick up. I really wanted a 2013, but that one needed to elude me. No, I was not #3, but my "snipe" bid did exceed that one . . . . . .

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh m'GOSH @renman95 -- that's quite a flock!! Or are they troupe of ladies?

It's funny too how many collectors refer to the Broken Swords as "Broken Arrows" (I have too at times). Is that b/c we loved that great movie?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:
    Oh m'GOSH @renman95 -- that's quite a flock!! Or are they troupe of ladies?

It's funny too how many collectors refer to the Broken Swords as "Broken Arrows" (I have too at times). Is that b/c we loved that great movie?

Haha, I think you're right.

• Options

@renman95 said:
    And the final full set, 1964 Peace Dollar, one of each die pair offered in 2010 and DP #9 from 2020.

>
    >
    We all know there are always a few "unaccounted" pieces out there! ;)
    >
    Flaunt em if ya got em! B)

Here's a few more --

Die Pair 8 High Grade
    >

Die Pair 8 Circ
    >

Die Pair 9 EARLY (with artifact under R in Liberty Obv)
    >

DP 9 doubled
    >
    OMG Crap me-self everytime I see that BOMB!!

Bring on the OTHER Crap-me's :o

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@felinfoel said:

@GRANDAM got #4.

• Options
    edited October 10, 2020 9:38PM

Anyway, y'all have been reading my mind tonight. After seeing some of the AMAZING Moonlight Mint Open House over strikes you all have been posting, it dawned on me that there are probably TONS of pieces that I haven't seen. I would LOVE to take a gander at these all assembled together in one place, so . . . . . I will start the thread and tag y'all.

Z - I agree there has been some amazing open house pieces lately, but that's not usual. Frankly, I'd prefer to see them HERE under one thread so I don't chase after several threads to follow. My personal opinion only.

• Options
    edited October 10, 2020 10:28PM

Awesome coins @renman95 ! You have an amazing collection!

But when I think of Broken Arrow, this is the only thing that comes to mind :D

• Options
    edited October 11, 2020 3:25AM

@ZoidMeister said:

@Zoins said:

2013 MMOH O/S 2003 Illinois State Quarter

I really like the way this is arranged with the word "QUARTER DOLLAR" under the Native America and how the bison is under the word "ILLINOIS". If the nickel die was a bit smaller and didn't cover "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" on the obverse it would be perfect, but II'm not complaining. I like it as is. There was some spirited bidding for this and ended up at an impressive price. The top two bidders were like 3x bidder number 3. Was number two anyone here?

THAT WAS YOU . . . . .?

I'm really really glad I dropped out early on that one and didn't cost you nose bleed change . . . . . .

I was interested in a while, but another "shiny shiny" came up and I went off chasing other squirrels. When I circled back around, my jaw hit the floor. "Spirited Bidding" is an understatement.

I need to check with you the next time I go chasing something. I definitely don't want to (nor can afford to) get in your way.

Regrets if it caused you to repost what you have already so kind contributed tonight, but I think the MMOH O/S pieces DESERVE a thread of their own, don't you?

Congrats on the State Quarter pick up. I really wanted a 2013, but that one needed to elude me. No, I was not #3, but my "snipe" bid did exceed that one . . . . . .

Z

I love Dan's regular issue coins and have a bunch of them. Beyond that, I have some of the rarer issues but not as many as some others have. I also like the Open House pieces because of the variety they come in. You just never know what's going to come around with these!

I'll look to post on. your thread but I think I'll post one more piece here.

• Options

@Akbeez said:
    Here's a fairly new acquisition from a collector who liquidated most of their collection - and in the Politico-Bizzarro category:

Don't see these often in this finish. 46 mintage

Beautiful piece @Akbeez! I love the colors on the obverse of this dark patina piece!

• Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I'm not sure if everyone saw this one, but all the Open House pieces being posted recently jogged my memory about this pair I had posted in the Benny Haimovitz memorial thread back in July.

2017 MMOH Square Medals - Copper & Silver - Ex-Haimovitz

The story of this pair is that I had always wanted to get a pair of the 2017 Moonlight Mint Open House square tokens struck on square blanks and was happy that Benny offered them for sale. Benny was a big Dan Carr fan and helped forum collectors along. I didn't know it at the time, but this may have been the last order that he fulfilled, or one of he last, as his last login to the CU forums was on August 18, 2019, I purchased these from him on August 25, 2019 and he left us on September 21, 2019. I didn't know him like some here did but I feel fortunate to to have made this connection and let his memory live on.

RIP Benny.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1038351/benny-haimovitz-rip

Benny also kindly sold me a set.

R.I.P., my friend.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2020 5:59PM

Insane @felinfoel!

That’s a great price! Love the eagle on eagle reverse!

• Options

Holy Sheets @felinfoel! That is an AMAZING piece -- what the heck is its story? Somehow double struck but how?
    Stars and rays somehow embedded in precise places in the eagle reverse? Mussin' with my head... :o

• Options

Ok, figured it out per the MM blog:

Die Pair 1
    ”1964-D” First production, early 2009.
    Re-punched Mint Mark, original D punched North, then corrected.
    Some show evidence of die clashing on reverse. All show evidence of multiple striking. All 4 over-struck on Peace Dollars were given a post-strike simulated circulated finish.

In addition, the following quantities were over-struck on other coins:

1976 Bicentennial Half Dollar: 1
    1965 Kennedy Half Dollars: 30
    1965 Washington Quarter: 1
    1965 Roosevelt Dime: 1
    1965 Jefferson Nickel: 1
    1965 Lincoln Cent: 1

Under-size brass blanks (test strikes): 2

So clashing on the half -- SOMEHOW imparted sporadic imprints...still mussin' with my head...

• Options
    edited October 11, 2020 11:44PM

@felinfoel said:

@Zoins said:

@felinfoel said:

@GRANDAM got #4.

Good to know!

I wonder who has 007 :)

• Options
    edited October 11, 2020 8:40PM

@Akbeez said:
    Ok, figured it out per the MM blog:

Die Pair 1
    ”1964-D” First production, early 2009.
    Re-punched Mint Mark, original D punched North, then corrected.
    Some show evidence of die clashing on reverse. All show evidence of multiple striking. All 4 over-struck on Peace Dollars were given a post-strike simulated circulated finish.

In addition, the following quantities were over-struck on other coins:

1976 Bicentennial Half Dollar: 1
    1965 Kennedy Half Dollars: 30
    1965 Washington Quarter: 1
    1965 Roosevelt Dime: 1
    1965 Jefferson Nickel: 1
    1965 Lincoln Cent: 1

Under-size brass blanks (test strikes): 2

So clashing on the half -- SOMEHOW imparted sporadic imprints...still mussin' with my head...

Great info! Thanks for finding it! I've always wondered what happens to all those extra strikes.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2020 9:31PM

@GRANDAM said:

@Zoins said:

@felinfoel said:

@Zoins said:

@felinfoel said:

@GRANDAM got #4.

Good to know!

I wonder who has 007 ;)

Actually I have #2 on KOTCT Lesher Dollar,,,,, also graded MS69 by ICG.

Ha! Prove it! Didn't happen...yet... ;) Gotta post it!!

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2020 7:27AM

Bear Mountain Trading Post, 007... B)
    These pieces were lots of fun, you could choose what you wanted on them. Some cool names on lots of them.

• Options
    edited October 12, 2020 8:12AM

@Bullsitter said:
    Bear Mountain Trading Post, 007... B)

Nice! Who is Bear Mountain Trading Post?

• Options
    edited October 12, 2020 8:05AM

@Bullsitter said:

@Zoins said

Nice! Who is Bear Mountain Trading Post?

Bear Mountain is where I learned to hunt as a kid. Never was a Trading Post and never saw a bear, thank goodness... :#
    Just had it made for old times sake.

Nice :) So basically it's you!

Great idea to have some custom ones made!

I don't recognize many of the names that are counterstamped on these so they don't mean anything to me but KOTCT and Bear Mountain do now :+1:

• Options
    edited October 12, 2020 12:23PM

Folks,

I just had this one arrive today. It is teaching me to be more careful in looking at photos on Ebay, especially at work when I am only able to access the site with my phone (they block Ebay with the firewall here).

Anyway, it is one of my favorite MMOH O/S, the 2014, and it was as reasonable as they get. That's the good.

The not so good is that this one has a little dot of corrosion and a small fingerprint on the obverse, and a bit of discoloration / stain on the reverse. I took these photos before it went into the acetone bath to see if the fingerprint and stain would be mitigated. The dot of corrosion I don't think much will help.

Anyway, the 2014 MMOH dies were overstruck onto a 2014-D Presidential Dollar coin. I can tell this from the edge lettering on the base coin. From the little bit of the original minting visible, it is pretty clear that this was a Warren G. Harding dollar as its base.

All in all, I am not unhappy with this one as I LOVE the design. It was a pretty inexpensive lesson overall.

Enjoy. @Zoins , the narrative above is for you . . . . . .

Z

2014 MM Open House over strike on a 2014-D Warren G. Harding Presidential Dollar

• Options

Nice piece! Looks like maybe some die clashing and a strike-through on the reverse center left?

• Options

@Akbeez said:
    Nice piece! Looks like maybe some die clashing and a strike-through on the reverse center left?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. There is a fairly strong die clash on the obverse in front of Liberty's face. The angle and lighting don't catch it in these photos, but the eagle's wing is definitely visible.

I'm still studying the base coin to figure out what that strike through line is on the back of the eagle. Almost looks like a cracked planchete.

Z

• Options

NICE! You have been redeemed!! (not that I really questioned) ;)

• Options

Yes, I'm double posting again . . . . . . but only the MMOH O/S's . . . . . .

Here is a very subtle MMOH Over Strike. My first 2013. When I saw this one, I had to grab it up.

What is the base coin do you suppose?

2013 MM Open House O/S - mintage 1 of 150

• Options

I've been waiting on this one for a while. It's my second 2017 KOTCT Bi-metalic medal. The original was brass / copper ringed. This one is silver / copper ringed. I will get them both out for a side by side photo tomorrow, but for now . . . . . .

2017 KOTCT Medal (10th Anniversary) Bi-metalic (silver / copper) - mintage 42

• Options
    edited October 13, 2020 2:44PM

This one arrived today as well. Looks like the Post Office is finally getting around to Zoid . . . . .

1917-2017 Failure of WWI - 100th Anniversary Hard Times Token - mintage 242

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    Folks,

I just had this one arrive today. It is teaching me to be more careful in looking at photos on Ebay, especially at work when I am only able to access the site with my phone (they block Ebay with the firewall here).

Anyway, it is one of my favorite MMOH O/S, the 2014, and it was as reasonable as they get. That's the good.

The not so good is that this one has a little dot of corrosion and a small fingerprint on the obverse, and a bit of discoloration / stain on the reverse. I took these photos before it went into the acetone bath to see if the fingerprint and stain would be mitigated. The dot of corrosion I don't think much will help.

Anyway, the 2014 MMOH dies were overstruck onto a 2014-D Presidential Dollar coin. I can tell this from the edge lettering on the base coin. From the little bit of the original minting visible, it is pretty clear that this was a Warren G. Harding dollar as its base.

All in all, I am not unhappy with this one as I LOVE the design. It was a pretty inexpensive lesson overall.

Enjoy. @Zoins , the narrative above is for you . . . . . .

Z

2014 MM Open House over strike on a 2014-D Warren G. Harding Presidential Dollar

There is no die clashing on any of the 2014 Open House strikes. What you are seeing is probably the host coin's details showing through.

Judging by the fingerprint, I would say that that one was brought by and attendee to a Moonlight Mint Open House event for striking. The fingerprint may have been on the coin before it was over-struck, or after. It might come off or at least be mitigated somewhat with the proper conservation. You can go to Wallgreens (or similar) and get a black plastic bottle of "Tarn-X" silver cleaner. Pour a little bit of the cleaning solution into a small cup and submerge the coin for 10 seconds or so. Rinse the coin under the tap completely (edges also), then pat dry with a soft clean cotton bath towel (never rub dry).

The used cleaning solution can be poured into a different bottle and used again later. Keep one batch for silver only, and the other batch for all other metals.

• Options

@Akbeez said:

I think that is actually struck-through a sliver of metal that later fell off.

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

Here is a very subtle MMOH Over Strike. My first 2013. When I saw this one, I had to grab it up.

The "base coin" on that one is definitely a Native-Head/Bison nickel with the over-strike rotated a little bit in relation to the host coin obverse.

The host coin design has a notch formed by the junction of the nose and upper lip. That notch is still visible as an artifact on the tip of the Open House strike's nose.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@ZoidMeister said:

The "base coin" on that one is definitely a Native-Head/Bison nickel with the over-strike rotated a little bit in relation to the host coin obverse.

The host coin design has a notch formed by the junction of the nose and upper lip. That notch is still visible as an artifact on the tip of the Open House strike's nose.

This is why I loved this open house over strike in particular. Between this coin and the 2020 over strike on the Carson City Morgan Dollar, I think these two are the most compelling MMOH over strikes I have seen.

My next goal is to hurt down a few choice 2016, 2018, and 2019 pieces. I am afraid that the 2017's will prove to be quite elusive.

I've actually got one 2016 I'm waiting on to arrive. It's on a Harper's Ferry quarter. I'll be looking for something additional with a bit more panache to accompany it.

Z

• Options
    edited October 13, 2020 9:38PM

@ZoidMeister said:

That's one of my favorites. The color combination is very striking!

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree, that's a very cool looking product.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    edited October 14, 2020 10:53AM

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:

That's one of my favorites. The color combination is very striking!

I don't know, I must be living right, because my 2017 KOTCT collection has turned out to be just stellar. The ONLY thing I am missing that I would love to have is one of the 2 ounce silver pieces. Here are all four that I have at this point.

Of course, I have yet to find and acquire ONE of the 2016 KOTCT pieces . . . . . . . .

Santa, are you listening?

Z

• Options

I particularly LOVE how the American Silver Eagle over strike shows the original date of 2007. I think that is particularly nice for the 10th Anniversary Medal . . . . .

Z

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    I've been waiting on this one for a while. It's my second 2017 KOTCT Bi-metalic medal. The original was brass / copper ringed. This one is silver / copper ringed. I will get them both out for a side by side photo tomorrow, but for now . . . . . .

Interestingly, the brass/copper bi-metallic medal was never listed on the original KOTCT order sheet.

That is, none were ordered by any KOTCT members.

Instead, that medal was a bonus given to members. IIRC, if you placed an order by the deadline, your order automatically included one brass/copper medal at no charge.

Since the brass/copper medals were all "test strikes", I'm guessing Dan was experimenting.

Yours looks nicely toned... compared with my rather plain-Jane version:

And the other two are shinier semi-proof-like:

Also, did you notice the edge inscription on the silver version?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    edited October 14, 2020 2:33PM

@COCollector said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Interestingly, the brass/copper bi-metallic medal was never listed on the original KOTCT order sheet.

That is, none were ordered by any KOTCT members.

Instead, that medal was a bonus given to members. IIRC, if you placed an order by the deadline, your order automatically included one brass/copper medal at no charge.

Since the brass/copper medals were all "test strikes", I'm guessing Dan was experimenting.

Yours looks nicely toned... compared with my rather plain-Jane version:

And the other two are shinier semi-proof-like:

Also, did you notice the edge inscription on the silver version?

Wow, there is a huge difference. Mine are the only two I've ever seen. Here is a photo the seller took of the brass / copper when I purchased it. I figured Dan gave it a "color tone" treatment, but now I'm not sure. It really reflects the colors nicely when held in the light at different angles.

What I'm seeing on the edge of the silver/copper piece is "ONE TROY OZ - .999 SILVER".

Is there supposed to be something else?

Intriguing . . . . .

Z

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

@COCollector said:
    ...Also, did you notice the edge inscription on the silver version?

...What I'm seeing on the edge of the silver/copper piece is "ONE TROY OZ - .999 SILVER".

Is there supposed to be something else?

No, nothing else I'm aware of.

Of course, I think the inscription is necessary. And, in general, I like that info on the edge much better than on the obverse or reverse, where I think it can distract from the design.

It just looks unusual inscribed on something other than silver...

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

Ah, it looks like some silver and copper medals have CASTLE KOTCT marked on the edge. I don't have one of those (yet).

Z

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file