Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is all I found in the mailbox this afternoon. I was hoping my shipment from Moonlight Mint would be there, but alas, it wasn't . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

Better view of the above.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the Capt Picard medal, is it written in Klingon? ;)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

They are out there...

Another Covid piece -- I like it on an ASE, but the image is better on the earlier Covid token

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2020 7:35PM

@Akbeez said:
    Love the Capt Picard medal, is it written in Klingon? ;)

I do have eclectic tastes . . . . . . . . .

"Eclectic" is Klingon for "lack of" . . . . . .

Z

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

If D. Ryder autograph is worth something on the Rev proof eagle from last year, it should only be that Dan's carries a premium...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Slow weekend for posts . . . .

Z

• Options
    Will1960Will1960 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

2018 Year Of The Dog / Lunar Calendar - mintage 48.
    Nice, I have one of those, did not realize that the mintage was so low.
    Love my German Shepherd, so of course it was a gift to him!
    Thanks for reminding me that I had it, have a lot of his works, need to do an inventory and photograph them all.
    The Octagon Owls are my favorite, have everyone struck to date, dupes of all but the first years strike.
    Winter is coming, I'm sure I'll get to it!

• Options

@Will1960 said:
    2018 Year Of The Dog / Lunar Calendar - mintage 48.
    Nice, I have one of those, did not realize that the mintage was so low.
    Love my German Shepherd, so of course it was a gift to him!
    Thanks for reminding me that I had it, have a lot of his works, need to do an inventory and photograph them all.
    The Octagon Owls are my favorite, have everyone struck to date, dupes of all but the first years strike.
    Winter is coming, I'm sure I'll get to it!

You'll have to "rehome" one of your duplicate octagon owls to the Zoid.

Those are conspicuously missing in my accumulation thus far . . . .

Z

• Options
    edited October 5, 2020 11:26AM

2018 KOTCT Medal (1 oz copper) - mintage 56

2018 KOTCT Medal (1 oz copper color toned) - mintage 60

And a generous addition / gift by Downtown1974

2018 KOTCT Medal (1 oz silver cob) - mintage 100

• Options
    edited October 5, 2020 11:29AM

And finishing out the weekend arrivals . . . . . . . .

2019 KOTCT Medal (1 oz copper) - mintage 49

2019 KOTCT Medal (1 oz copper color toned) - mintage 44

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2020 11:45AM

Nice images Z. Keep 'em coming, I like to see other peoples stuff.

• Options
    edited October 5, 2020 12:14PM

@Bullsitter said:

It might be just me and my pareidolia, but does the 2018 one ounce cob look to you like it has a repunched date?

Am I seeing a 2018/17 or a 2018/15? Screen shot below . . . . . . .

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

@Bullsitter said:

It might be just me and my pareidolia, but does the 2018 one ounce cob look to you like it has a repunched date?

Z

Haha, I'm 66 and about blind, but I see something... B)

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2020 2:04PM

@Akbeez said:
    Anyone here going to the Denver Coin Show? Would like to see what the MM's display looks like.

I'd like to hear from anyone who was there.

Was attendance good? Lots of action, Show highlights, impact of covid?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:

@Akbeez said:
    Anyone here going to the Denver Coin Show? Would like to see what the MM's display looks like.

I'd like to hear from anyone who was there.

Was attendance good? Lots of action, Show highlights, impact of covid?

I would have loved to go. Will have to wait for another time. Would love to hear stories and see some pics.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@ZoidMeister said:

@Bullsitter said:

Z

So the top image is from a 'normal' date example. The lower image is from mine.

Repunched, or not?

Z

• Options

From your pics Z, it does appear to be re-punched. I don't have that piece to compare, only master coiner Dan can really answer your question.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

@Bullsitter said:

@ZoidMeister said:

@Bullsitter said:

Z

Repunched, or not?

Z

Both of those shown were struck from the same die.
    The cob strike shows effects from the irregular (cob-style) planchet, which can sometimes produce unusual distortions (especially where located close to the edge).

• Options

@dcarr said:

@ZoidMeister said:

@Bullsitter said:

@ZoidMeister said:

@Bullsitter said:

Z

Repunched, or not?

Z

Both of those shown were struck from the same die.
    The cob strike shows effects from the irregular (cob-style) planchet, which can sometimes produce unusual distortions (especially where located close to the edge).

Dang, I was hoping that you had hidden a few "Easter eggs" in the dies somewhere for folks to "discover " . . . .

I found it interesting to say the least . . .

Good for conversation points as well.

Z

• Options

I got my shipping notice for my FECs (multiple uncirculated and one circulated) and other coins / medals.

Can't wait!

• Options
    edited October 9, 2020 11:26AM

It seems like I am a little behind keeping CU up with this weeks arrivals . . . . . .

Hopefully this won't overwhelm y'all . . . . . . .

First, we'll start with . . . . . . .

2018 Clark Gruber Liberty Head / Owl Fractional Silver - mintage 54

_(This is only my second Dan Carr "Owl" . . . . . _

1918 Peace Dollar O/S - Broken Sword - Die Pair 2 (high-grade) - mintage 370

2020 MM Open House 1921 Morgan Dollar Double O/S - mintage UNIQUE - 1 of 85

2012 MM Open House 1971-S Proof Ike Dollar O/S - mintage 1 of 300**

• Options
    edited October 9, 2020 11:44AM

2012 MM Open House multiple overstrike of a Susan B. Anthony Dollar - mintage 1 of 300

2014 UNA 1 Amero - Shield Liberty - Color-toned copper - mintage 80

• Options

1964-D Peace Dollar (medium relief / circulated) - Die Pair 9 - mintage 43
    (pocket carried by our own Bullsitter)

1931-S Peace Dollar (high relief / bulk handled) - Die Pair 1 - mintage 57
    (pocket carried by our own Bullsitter)

• Options

Nice additions Z, you've got the USPS sweating... :#
    The Open House Double-Struck piece is well struck. Good job on finding that piece.

• Options

OF COURSE, no collection would be complete without one of these, right @dcarr ?

2007-D Daniel Carr President Series Parody - mintage 450

2001-D Apollo Astronaut - mintage 900

• Options

The coveted 2011 KOTCT Medal . . . . .

2011 KOTCT Medal (brass / matte finish) - mintage 113

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1859 F.E. circulated was on my list...but they are sold out.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:
    The 1859 F.E. circulated was on my list...but they are sold out.

You and me both . . . .

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    2012 MM Open House multiple overstrike of a Susan B. Anthony Dollar - mintage 1 of 300

You're on a roll @ZoidMeister!

Love your coins and photos. Keep them coming!

Agree with @Bullsitter that this is a score!

• Options
    edited October 10, 2020 1:42AM

My new orders haven't arrived yet, but here's newp.

2018-D Moonlight Mint Open House O/S 1974-S 40% Eisenhower Dollar - Off-Center Double Struck Error

The 2018 Open House medal is one of my favorites because it's essentially a Daniel Carr / Moonlight Mint Merchant Store Card Token with a pattern obverse. On the obverse is Dan's obverse for the 2018-D WW1 Centennial Concept Dollar Pattern Test Strikes. On the reverse is Dan's store card reverse with Dan's name, the Moonlight Mint name and the mint's website address. This particular piece is nice because it's an off-center double struck piece showing both dates and mint marks on the obverse. The reverse has Dan's store card center fully impressed. Additionally, it's very hard to see any of the undertype, either as an unstruck part of he coin or showing through the overstrike. There is a bit of the undertype showing through the sky above the soldier's shoulders, but it's hard to make out what it is and it's not dark or distracting. In hand the undertype looks like a few clouds over the shoulders. The obverse has a satin finish while the reverse is very reflective and looks proof-like to me. And it has a reeded edge. Overall, it's very hard to tell that this is an overstrike.

I'm actually not sure of any other pieces his reverse has been used with. Please post if you know of any!

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver 2006 Mountain Division is on my wants list !

Let me know if you decide to part ways, PLEASE ???

Lindy

@Zoins said:
    These are my earliest pieces directly from Dan. They are after Dan got his website up but before the Grabener restoration in 2008. I think I purchased these in 2006 from Dan.

I've never seen many of these offered on the secondary market. Here's some of the rarer ones:

• 2001-D Apollo Astronaut - 1/4 oz Silver - 9 minted
    • 2006 Colorado - 10th Mountain Division - Prototype Quarter - Silver - 15 minted
    • 2003 Maine - Pemaquid Point Light & Victory Chimes Schooner- Silver - 20 minted
    • 2006-D US Denver Mint 100th Anniversary Centennial Token -Silver Satin - 50 minted

• Options
    edited October 10, 2020 8:00AM

@Zoins said:

@ZoidMeister said:

You're on a roll @ZoidMeister!

Love your coins and photos. Keep them coming!

Agree with @Bullsitter that this is a score!

I agree. That 2012 MMOH double strike was a sleeper due to the small offset in the strikes. I was ecstatic to get that one.

I actually thought that @Bullsitter was commenting on this one.

Z

• Options

@LindyS said:

Lindy

@Zoins said:
    These are my earliest pieces directly from Dan. They are after Dan got his website up but before the Grabener restoration in 2008. I think I purchased these in 2006 from Dan.

I've never seen many of these offered on the secondary market. Here's some of the rarer ones:

• 2001-D Apollo Astronaut - 1/4 oz Silver - 9 minted
    • 2006 Colorado - 10th Mountain Division - Prototype Quarter - Silver - 15 minted
    • 2003 Maine - Pemaquid Point Light & Victory Chimes Schooner- Silver - 20 minted
    • 2006-D US Denver Mint 100th Anniversary Centennial Token -Silver Satin - 50 minted

And put me on your list @Zoins for those 2006 Denver Mint commemorates as well . . . .

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

Both of them... B)

Here's one I haven't shared yet.
    Got this piece from Gluggo. He has so many DC coins that he doesn't count them, he weighs them..... :#

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@ZoidMeister said:

Z

Both of them... B)

Here's one I haven't shared yet.
    Got this piece from Gluggo. He has so many DC coins that he doesn't count them, he weighs them..... :#

Let's get him into the conversation. I need to see all his on the scales . . .

Oh @Gluggo . . . . . You're up next . . .

Z

• Options
    edited October 10, 2020 9:37AM

@LindyS said:

Lindy

@ZoidMeister said:
    And put me on your list @Zoins for those 2006 Denver Mint commemorates as well . . . .

Z

I'll try to remember but those pieces will probably be with me for a very long time! They are the first pieces I purchased directly from Dan and I still remember going through the prices and deciding which ones to buy from him. I wish I had bought more!

As for the 2006 Mountain Division piece, I grew up skiing and have great memories of skiing in Colorado which that piece helps bring back. It would be great to have a trip to the Moonlight Mint combined with skiing / snowboarding!

• Options

I just saw that @Tyrock has a Dan Carr piece as his avatar in another thread. Time to get some new / old blood participating again in this thread.

Z

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2020 10:41AM

@ZoidMeister you unfortunately will not hear from Gluggo on this forum (check out his avatar).
    He did join CoinTalk but I haven't seen him post much there (last active there in June of this year).

• Options
    edited October 10, 2020 10:57AM

@U1chicago said:
    @Zoins I have a similar piece to your 2018 example (overstruck on a Fiji coin).

That’s an awesome piece! I love the trimetallic colors on your piece. It’s really quite beautiful! Congrats!

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@U1chicago said:
    @Zoins I have a similar piece to your 2018 example (overstruck on a Fiji coin).

That’s an awesome piece! I love the trimetallic colors on your piece. It’s really quite beautiful! Congrats!

Thank you! That drew me in too.

The link below shows an example of the original coin. There was a set of 9 different animals and this one was the zebra (if I recall correctly from the eBay listing).
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces78196.html

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file