Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    My first order from Moonlight Mint.

Got the Flying Eagle, the earlier Indian cent, and one Buffalo.

Now a question: Does DC email existing customers when new items are posted up or do I need to keep checking the website every 30 minutes like I have been?

Inquiring minds, you know . . . . empty ones too . . . .

Z

As far as I know, you have to keep checking the website (or wait for the alert on here...could be too late though).
    I've heard some on here mention that they set something up that alerts them when there is a change to the website. Those that do that can say more (if they want to reveal their secrets).

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

If customers get notified, it must be VIPs that do not include me! LOL

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2020 5:21PM

@ZoidMeister said:
    My first order from Moonlight Mint.

Got the Flying Eagle, the earlier Indian cent, and one Buffalo.

Now a question: Does DC email existing customers when new items are posted up or do I need to keep checking the website every 30 minutes like I have been?

Inquiring minds, you know . . . . empty ones too . . . .

Z

No email sent. Someone posts here when new items are added. Many of us check often. I have been known to check his main page daily, sometimes twice a day, when I think he's due. This doesn't last long though. ;)
    Someone will notice and the alert post will be up. There are enough fans that it won't take long after new items are listed that that we get informed. AND..... no mintage is certain to become large.
    Make this thread a favorite (the little star in the upper right. Click it and it changer color and gets added to your Bookmarks, also in the upper right. Check this first when you arrive here to see when a new post is added to this or any thread you have an interest in)

And as mentioned above there are sites that send an email when a change is detected on a web page your are monitoring. https://visualping.io/ is the one I use but there are others, BUT the alert may be posted here before the web monitor sends you their email. "Wear a belt and suspenders" if you take my meaning. B)

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mintages (so far) are up for the new overstrikes: http://www.moonlightmint.com/coin_catalog.htm

I noticed many versions of the 1879 nickel were "Not Released": http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_36.htm

In particular, I'd love to have a gold-plated "racketeer" version. But I understand why Dan would never produce it for sale.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

Looks like the Moonlight Mint will have 2 tables at the Denver Coin Expo Oct 1-3: https://www.rockymtnexpos.com/dealer-list.html

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone going to the Denver show? Covid has most of us pinned down.

I'm with @COCollector -- some plated/brass Racketeer nickels would be AWESOME and historically valid (albeit cons).

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2020 1:50PM

I think it would be acceptable for Dan to make gold plated, reeded racketeer nickels now. No one is going to confuse these with half eagles today.

Of course, it would be nice to strike some over real half eagles ;)

I would love to have both, a racketeer nickel and over struck half eagle!

• Options
    edited September 20, 2020 8:40AM

Here's a 2020 Open House piece from @USAROK that was sold recently. I wanted to get it but recently had a string of auction bad luck and didn't even get a bid in!

Cripple Creek isn't exactly Carson City, but they were both silver mining hot spots!

I love @USAROK's posts and hope he visits more :)

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few more coming in from @Downtown1974 later this week. I will post them when they arrive . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    nk1nknk1nk Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

I’ll be working in Denver the week of the Denver coin expo!! I’ll definitely be stopping by. Guess I better hit the bank before I head to Denver.

• Options

Next on the agenda . . . .

**The 2017 KOTCT Bi-metallic Color Toned Medal **

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Z, you're keeping the USPS busy.

Nice additions, all 3 pieces.
    That 1919 BS is my favorite date so far. I think it could be a "key" to the BS series.

• Options

Good job racking 'em up Zoid!

I'm with ya Chief -- love those BS High Reliefs! And that's no BS! Tho the 2020 was quite a bit lower in mintage... ;)

My guess the 2021 will be something extraordinary for the centennial and demand will be high so likely will be a higher mintage as well? I seem to recall a 2 oz'er was being kicked around.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2020 12:32PM

@Akbeez said:

My guess the 2021 will be something extraordinary......

You ain't lying, and that '21 could be available in about 4 months.
    A 1921 Antiqued BS Peace Dollar would be okie-dokie in my book... B)

• Options

There's also Dan's other BS collection... the 2018 KOTCT Medal "Broken Spear" version of the famous St George and the Dragon design.

It's based on Pistrucci's 200-year-old original design:

More info: http://kotct2017.knightsofthecointable.com/index.php?topic=5691.msg58459#msg58459

• Options

@COCollector said:
    There's also Dan's other BS collection... the 2018 KOTCT Medal "Broken Spear" version of the famous St George and the Dragon design.

It's based on Pistrucci's 200-year-old original design:

More info: http://kotct2017.knightsofthecointable.com/index.php?topic=5691.msg58459#msg58459

**All I can say to THAT is . . . . . . . **

• Options

@Akbeez said:

I'm with ya Chief -- love those BS High Reliefs! And that's no BS! Tho the 2020 was quite a bit lower in mintage... ;)

My guess the 2021 will be something extraordinary for the centennial and demand will be high so likely will be a higher mintage as well? I seem to recall a 2 oz'er was being kicked around.

I really have a hankering for one of those 2007 / 2017 American Silver Eagle Over-strikes as well . . . . .

Z

• Options

I took some better photos of that 2008 UNA and the 2014 Moonlight Mint overstrike today as well.

Here they are. I'm really getting TOO excited about this stuff.

Dan Carr is a crack dealer if you ask me . . . . . .

Z

• Options
    edited September 22, 2020 4:33PM

@renman95 said:
    A few grades...

Good grades on the gold and the '64s.

• Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    Woot woot!

I received a few more Daniel Carr creations today. Actually, I doubled my "collection."

The first to arrive:

My 1919 Broken Sword Peace Dollar O/S:

I recognize that coin! Glad it found a nice home!

• Options

@felinfoel said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    Woot woot!

I received a few more Daniel Carr creations today. Actually, I doubled my "collection."

The first to arrive:

Is that you Backshore? I guess my bay 'alias' is busted now . . . . .

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

@felinfoel said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    Woot woot!

The first to arrive:

Is that you Backshore? I guess my bay 'alias' is busted now . . . . .

Z

That's me. Your secret is safe with me.

• Options

@felinfoel you're killin me with those Oregon Trails... :#

• Options

@Akbeez said:

As as wise man once said: hoard the keys.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2020 7:12PM

SO,,,,,,, you like Dan Carr grades do you? The CSA Dollar was sent in for a friend,,,,, not my coin.
    The last (2) coins are "Mad Marty Weenie" coins,,,,,, don't know what they didn't like about them?

GrandAm :)
  • Options

Ahhhh yes Grand-Grasshopper, your Grade-Hoarding skills are very impressive... ;)

• Options

@Akbeez said:

Hey AK,

Recognize this one . . . . . . . ?

Z

• Options

I am totally out of control . . . . . . . .

Z

Hey AK,

Recognize this one . . . . . . . ?

Z

>

• Options

Maybe, it went to a gas-sy buyer :D

• Options

@Akbeez said:
    Maybe, it went to a gas-sy buyer :D

Well, now I've been totally "outed" with at least two of you.

There are others who shall remain unnamed until they show up in this thread . . . . . . too many others . . . . .

Z

• Options

It's all good! You likely will find plenty of good pieces with the members here who also trade or sell. AND good advice when asked. Most of us will be truthful...except...when not... :)

• Options
    edited September 22, 2020 8:28PM

@ZoidMeister said:
    I am totally out of control . . . . . . . .

>

Yes. As a lot of us are. You came, you saw, you caught Carr Addiction... BAD ! For you, and other members here, there is no cure. Welcome.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Grandam, how long was your turn around time? Mine was 2 mos, 11 days. Sheesh!

• Options

• Options

Order Shipped !

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2020 5:32PM

@renman95 said:
    Hey Grandam, how long was your turn around time? Mine was 2 mos, 11 days. Sheesh!

I will have to dig out my paperwork,,,,,, It was at least a month,,,,,, longest turn around that I have ever had on Dan Carr Medals I'll find it tomorrow.

It did take longer than normal,,,,,,,,Skip told me because most of what I sent were new items and had to be researched and put into their data base to generate the labels.

My submission was received August 5th and I picked them up last Friday Sept 17th so that is about 6 1/2 weeks. :o

GrandAm :)
  • Options

• Options

These arrived today. I told you I went overboard. Unpacking and photos tomorrow. More to come next week I'm afraid, then there's the shipment from Moonlight Mint as well . . . .

Help !

Z

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any buffalo nickel versions?

• Options

ZOINKS ZOID!!

The herd oughta start showing up in the midwest now...

• Options

@AlanSki said:
    Any buffalo nickel versions?

As soon as MM ships . . . . . . .

Z

• Options

New pickups! These are the 2020 Philippines Mint 100 Year Anniversary / Wilson Medals. Obverse is the original die used in 1920, reverse die was created by D Carr with the commemorative wording. Struck at the MM. Interesting history on these, as the Mint was operated by the USA. Most of the original medals were thrown into the bay to keep them from the invading Japanese.
    Silver

Brass (poor man's gold)

I kinda like the brass! Also struck in gold, nickel and aluminum. Available still at So-CalledDollar.com

Cheers! :*

• Options
    edited September 26, 2020 4:13PM

@Akbeez said:

@Bullsitter said:

@Akbeez said:

I'm very concerned about the impact this news might have on Dan Carr and any plans that he might have for next year.

Your thoughts?

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/house-approves-2021-morgan-and-peace-dollars

Z

• Options
    edited September 27, 2020 3:35AM

@ZoidMeister said:

@Akbeez said:

@Bullsitter said:

@Akbeez said:

I'm very concerned about the impact this news might have on Dan Carr and any plans that he might have for next year.

Your thoughts?

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/house-approves-2021-morgan-and-peace-dollars

Z

I want my 2021 Broken Sword Peace Dollar :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file