Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    zonnkzonnk Posts: 15 ✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

@zonnk said:
    China likes Dan's work so well it has some shiney new imitations
    on Ebay. Hope a newbie doesn't get fooled when they show up for sale as originals. One even has DC mint mark.

That's not right, got a link?

The listings ended but I'm sure they will be back. The seller is Numicom.pl. there are a lot of listings on the site.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2020 8:04AM

@Bullsitter , I was able to order one of the labeled 1 of 2 but the 1 of 4 was gone. Shipping from Poland, notified today. Now seeing how long it will take. And how it will compare to an authentic one bought from Dan.

I also got 4 Polish Bi-Metalic. I'm a lover of Bi-Metalic coins. Really wish the US would make some as replacement of paper dollars.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had an idea for a new product. Make one of the peace dollars, but have a 2020 date, and add a mask to Lady Liberty. I would buy a few of those. Can it be done?

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

10-4 Daniel! Are you done with the Covid tokens?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

Or is there a spike trending???

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2020 9:56PM

@Bullsitter said:

Oh my, still a favorite... :) ...not mine though.... :(

A favorite of mine too.

I actually like the circulated version better than the high-grade. Happily, I have both.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:
    10-4 Daniel! Are you done with the Covid tokens?

I wanted one of those but procrastinated too long, I guess.

They show as OOS now....

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@jwitten said:
    I had an idea for a new product. Make one of the peace dollars, but have a 2020 date, and add a mask to Lady Liberty. I would buy a few of those. Can it be done?

Technically, yes.
    But I did the one Covid-19 token and I'm not sure I want to do another.
    Like a lot of folks, I'm ready for this episode to be over.

Well, if you do do a masked 2020 peace, I'd be a buyer!

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would it be pure coincidence if Dan stopped the mintage now since it is at 666?

• Options

@PipestonePete said:

I noticed that mintage too.

I'm guessing someone bought all the remaining tokens as a lot this week. Or maybe Dan is toning 'em. Or both.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PipestonePete said:

That is one hell of a lot of tokens. Is there a higher mintage in all of Dan's work?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    edited July 3, 2020 10:18PM

@DCW said:

@PipestonePete said:

That is one hell of a lot of tokens. Is there a higher mintage in all of Dan's work?

Dan's 1964-D Morgan has a total mintage of about 1,700. http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_18.htm

But that total is spread over two die pairs and several different finishes (e.g., the high-grade die pair 1 has a mintage of 786).

Dan's 1964-D Peace dollar also has some high mintages. http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_1.htm

He also made over 1,000 S.S. Republic cobs. And over 6,500 Atocha cobs. http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_cobs_list.htm

• Options
    Will1960Will1960 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

@COCollector said:

@Bullsitter said:

Oh my, still a favorite... :) ...not mine though.... :(

A favorite of mine too.

I actually like the circulated version better than the high-grade. Happily, I have both.

The Circulated Version is a stunner, I also should have purchased both. :s

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2020 4:17PM

Got me some DC Gold, and Gold ounces are up, up, up, yet I don't wanna sell a bit of my yellow fever DC cache...

Anyone else here floating in my boat ???

I see Gold spot ounces now and this spot hammer just won't make me cash out of any of my DC Gold Art Coin Treasures.

Crap,

My 18k-22k-24k DC gold will not and really cannot be sold !

Silly Me !!!

I should'a hedged differently & instead bought me some boring laser cut & fine detail-free die struck USA mega minted swill so I could of have then eagerly cashed out of.

My DC Gold is not a commodity.

Lindy

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked this one up from JRH Specialty. Been looking for this reverse and one finally surfaced... B)...the hunt is over.

• Options

COVID 19 medals are back up on the site. I didn't procrastinate this time - I just ordered one, Hopefully I will get a good one. ;)

• Options

Nice Peaces @Bullsitter ! Got some nice battle scars and toning ~~

Someone once said: "I love peaces to meeces". Or was it the other way around?? B) Remember who?

• Options

@Akbeez said:

Someone once said: "I love peaces to meeces". Or was it the other way around?? B) Remember who?

• Options

Nyuk nyuk ... good try ...

• Options

Here is something new/different. Dual-finish "hybrid". Tough to find.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    Here is the full-resolution rendering. Production of actual tokens is pending (the dies are engraved but not yet heat-treated).

This is a great example of your original artwork that I like. Reminds me of the great satirical medals that Bob Julian (our Denga) did back in the 1970's.

That said you may have to do a 2021-dated version of this eventually.

Here's an idea for a medal that I give to you freely: The "2020 Bingo Card" with "2020" in the middle and various calamities, both real (already happened) and outlandish (i.e., alien space invaders) in the other 24 squares.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see A***S has a special going on right now ending July 31. It's for US Coins. Anyone think DC coins would be accepted in that special? Asking for a friend. ;-)

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renman95 said:
    I see A***S has a special going on right now ending July 31. It's for US Coins. Anyone think DC coins would be accepted in that special? Asking for a friend. ;-)

Usually they are pretty lenient with what qualifies for the special. I've sent Carr items together with other US coins before.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@renman95 said:

Usually they are pretty lenient with what qualifies for the special. I've sent Carr items together with other US coins before.

I've heard they do it in the past. Good time to get some Moonlight Mint pieces slabbed!

• Options
    edited July 19, 2020 7:13PM

@Bullsitter said:
    Picked this one up from JRH Specialty. Been looking for this reverse and one finally surfaced... B)...the hunt is over.

Congrats! That's a nice one!

Glad you finally found one!

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@dcarr said:
    Here is the full-resolution rendering. Production of actual tokens is pending (the dies are engraved but not yet heat-treated).

This is a great example of your original artwork that I like. Reminds me of the great satirical medals that Bob Julian (our Denga) did back in the 1970's.

That said you may have to do a 2021-dated version of this eventually.

Here's an idea for a medal that I give to you freely: The "2020 Bingo Card" with "2020" in the middle and various calamities, both real (already happened) and outlandish (i.e., alien space invaders) in the other 24 squares.

TD

Interesting concept.
    I could take it a little further and have Trump or Biden throwing darts and the dart board would have the calamities listed. But I generally prefer to stay away from political themes and personalities, focusing on the financial aspects instead.

I hope there won't be a need to start producing "Civil War" tokens. "Hard Times" are bad enough.

I've thought about a "National Debt" token where the actual number is blank on the die, but has a space where I could, from time to time, counter-stamp the current number onto the tokens.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2020 8:24PM

@dcarr said:
    I hope there won't be a need to start producing "Civil War" tokens. "Hard Times" are bad enough.

Great thought on private coinage. I imagine now would be a good time for private coinage except for the Coinage Act of 1864. There were locally minted coins which I don't recall getting into trouble, e.g. the Aspen Dollars, etc.

I've thought about a "National Debt" token where the actual number is blank on the die, but has a space where I could, from time to time, counter-stamp the current number onto the tokens.

Have you thought about making a modular die like they had in the past for the Columbian Expo award and some Merriam good for tokens? That way one area could be swapped out for different figures.

• Options
    edited July 20, 2020 7:57AM

@renman95 said:

I'd call them and ask. I've been told yes and no.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@dcarr said:

Great thought on private coinage. I imagine now would be a good time for private coinage except for the Coinage Act of 1864. There were locally minted coins which I don't recall getting into trouble, e.g. the Aspen Dollars, etc.

Have you thought about making a modular die like they had in the past for the Columbian Expo award and some Merriam good for tokens? That way one area could be swapped out for different figures.

That would be technically possible.
    But I haven't felt the need to do anything like that since my die making process is pretty efficient and I can just engrave another one-piece die as required.

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh crappies, everything that was is now gone...

Bring on the 2021 !

May The PEACE Be with YOU !

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2020 6:03PM

I can't see why not. I submitted a few of D.Carr pieces at the battlefield show last year during one of their specials with no problems but they have a size limitation on items they'll slab.

• Options

@LindyS said:
    Oh crappies, everything that was is now gone...

Bring on the 2021 !

May The PEACE Be with YOU !

I picked up the #2 and #3 last 1920 Peace Dollars and they are in the mail. There was 1 left when my order was done.

• Options

More Covid's popped up available but price increase too to $50 :( . Not many left -- get em while you can!

DP8 '64 Peaces too -- but they are not as well struck as the DP9's. But a must for the DC Peace collectors.

• Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:
    DP8 '64 Peaces too -- but they are not as well struck as the DP9's. But a must for the DC Peace collectors.

Final mintage: 50 (42 high grade)

• Options
    HashTagHashTag Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@braddick said:
    Beautiful coins. I have mine parked right next to the Peace dollars.
    I wish PCGS would reconsider housing these as it would be pleasant having them match other dollar
    coins within my collection.

Yep.

mark

David Carr is new to me. I’ve been reading up and looking at his mint. I absolutely love everything single thing I’ve seen.
    I new here but is there anything we can do? Someone we can beg or bribe. ANYTHING?
    @justacommeman did you used to be @whitestripes”, I believe so and if you were you’re the most decent and honorable man I’ve ever chatted with (I’m the reason you changed it if it’s you; sorry and thanks).

• Options

@HashTag said:

David Carr is new to me.

Is he related to Daniel Carr? ;):D

@justacommeman did you used to be @whitestripes”,

I hope you didn't just reveal someone's alt ID. :o

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2020 12:17PM

@HashTag said:

@Justacommeman said:

@braddick said:
    Beautiful coins. I have mine parked right next to the Peace dollars.
    I wish PCGS would reconsider housing these as it would be pleasant having them match other dollar
    coins within my collection.

Yep.

mark

D Carr is new to me. I’ve been reading up and looking at his mint. I absolutely love everything single thing I’ve seen.
    I new here but is there anything we can do? Someone we can beg or bribe. ANYTHING?
    @justacommeman did you used to be @whitestripes”, I believe so and if you were you’re the most decent and honorable man I’ve ever chatted with (I’m the reason you changed it if it’s you; sorry and thanks).

Yes, I had Hotel Yorba as my residence and we remedied that. I’ll never forget the chat. It affected me. Thank you for the kind words. You made my day.

Anyways, welcome to the the other side of the street. While it’s not the bustling hub it used to be its still the best place to be. Pull up a chair and relax.

Daniel Carr is a fun subset to collect and between the BST and Ebay they are offered for sale frequently.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

DP8 64's didn't last long!

Snagged the last one of these circulated coppers. Ten made -- catalog shows them and the silvers sold out. Coppers not yet.

• Options

Oh my. Nice Large Cent AK... B)

• Options

While we are on 1792 large "cents" here's a few more:

Struck on a genuine Large Cent, circulated finish

-
    Silver, circulated finish from a fellow forumoid

Post yours! Many of these have unique colors. Or any other circ pieces :)

• Options

...and a hearty welcome to @HashTag :)

Feel free to ask any questions here and post your spoils (sire) -- everyone's an expert! ;)

• Options

That's a crazy cool piece Chief. Do you suppose the cracking was due to the die being slightly smaller in diameter than the host coin?

• Options

@Akbeez said:
    That's a crazy cool piece Chief. Do you suppose the cracking was due to the die being slightly smaller in diameter than the host coin?

That's a good point, maybe Dan can let us know.

• Options

Cracking like that is usually the result of planchet (or host coin) metal that was not heated to a sufficiently-high temperature when it was originally poured as an ingot (prior to rolling the strip) and/or not sufficiently annealed.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2020 2:19AM

@Kudbegud said:
    @Bullsitter , I was able to order one of the labeled 1 of 2 but the 1 of 4 was gone. Shipping from Poland, notified today. Now seeing how long it will take. And how it will compare to an authentic one bought from Dan.

Showed up today. Shipped 7/1. 26 days from Poland - not bad.

============================================================================

IMPORTANT

I couldn't find this one in Dan's list so I asked him. Here is his reply:

That is a Chinese unauthorized copy of my coin.
    I have a list of such things posted here:

http://www.moonlightmint.com/fakes.htm
    Daniel Carr

===============================================================================

Comparing the one I received with the fake as shown in the above list there is no doubt I got an Unauthorized Copy. I should have been alerted by the low price. D'oh! Live and learn.
    Get a copy of Dan's list linked above to provide an extra step of protection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file