Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2020 8:03AM

@Kudbegud said:

@Kudbegud said:
    @Bullsitter , I was able to order one of the labeled 1 of 2 but the 1 of 4 was gone. Shipping from Poland, notified today. Now seeing how long it will take. And how it will compare to an authentic one bought from Dan.

Showed up today. Shipped 7/1. 26 days from Poland - not bad.

============================================================================

IMPORTANT

I couldn't find this one in Dan's list so I asked him. Here is his reply:

That is a Chinese unauthorized copy of my coin.
    I have a list of such things posted here:

http://www.moonlightmint.com/fakes.htm
    Daniel Carr

===============================================================================

Comparing the one I received with the fake as shown in the above list there is no doubt I got an Unauthorized Copy. I should have been alerted by the low price. D'oh! Live and learn.
    Get a copy of Dan's list linked above to provide an extra step of protection.

@dcarr

For these specific ones (2015-D Winged Liberty Ameros), have you ever seen any from China? I've seen these over the years, and all the ones I've seen come from Poland, like the one ordered by @Kudbegud. If they were from China, I would expect to see some from China as well as Poland.

Here's one from numicom.pl in Fajslawice, Poland:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNION-OF-NORTH-AMERICA-1-AMERO-2015-EAGLE-LIBERTY-HEAD-30mm-MAGNETIC-BU/283949115082?

Here's Dan's for comparison:

http://www.dc-coin.com/una2009100amerossilverproof-likeseatedlibertywithddc-1-1-1-1-3-3-1.aspx

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Yes I am

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Woke up at 7am PST to see I missed out on this. Probably listed in the wee hours for me. Ouch.

Beautiful in gold

m

When were the gold ones offered?!

• Options
    edited July 30, 2020 1:47PM

@jwitten said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Woke up at 7am PST to see I missed out on this. Probably listed in the wee hours for me. Ouch.

Beautiful in gold

m

Dan's website! I was probably up at that time too! :'(

http://www.dc-coin.com/1792chaintokencopperwithsilvercenter-1-1.aspx

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2020 2:27PM

@Zoins said:

@jwitten said:

@Justacommeman said:

Beautiful in gold

m

That's one heck of a description:

Chain cents were originally minted with "1793" dates only. All were solid copper. This modern token contains 11.5+ grams 999 gold. ... Struck in collar on virgin 28mm 999 silver blanks (about 8.3 grams each).

:o:D

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were up for about 3 hours.
    I think 5 am to 8 am, CST, give or take a few minutes.

HH Limit of 1

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shoots. I was airborne. Maybe there will be a Die Pair 2 gold with silver center? ;-)

• Options

Even if I was up to milk the chickens at the crack of dawn in California I would have been shut out. Oh well, you win some and you lose some.

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

Although I've been checking Dan's website nearly every day now, I missed this too!

Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options

@JBK said:

@Zoins said:

@jwitten said:

@Justacommeman said:

Beautiful in gold

m

That's one heck of a description:

Chain cents were originally minted with "1793" dates only. All were solid copper. This modern token contains 11.5+ grams 999 gold. ... Struck in collar on virgin 28mm 999 silver blanks (about 8.3 grams each).

:o:D

Is this clad, gilt or plated? :)

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was the admission price for this gold treasure ???

@Bullsitter said:
    They were up for about 3 hours.
    I think 5 am to 8 am, CST, give or take a few minutes.

HH Limit of 1

• Options
    edited July 31, 2020 6:25AM

@LINDY said: What was the admission price for this gold treasure ???

$1375

• Options

Sweet, please let me know if you decide to let it go Chief ?

@Bullsitter said:
    @LINDY said: What was the admission price for this gold treasure ???

$1375

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had been checking his website every day recently, and missing this is a disappointment - enough to cause me to lose some interest in the whole series of Dan's work. Simple as that.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    I had been checking his website every day recently, and missing this is a disappointment - enough to cause me to lose some interest in the whole series of Dan's work. Simple as that.

:D:D

Sorry, I don't mean to laugh at your disappointment, but some of us went through this sort of experience long ago. As for myself, I still pick up the occasional DC issue, but I gave up trying to maintain a complete collection a long time ago, Some issues come and go in the blink of an eye, most go off sale without warning, and issues tend to be clustered so that you need to have deep pockets to be able to pick up the latest group of coins/tokens when they all hit the website at the same time.

Oh well, collect what interests you when you can, if you can. :)

• Options

Really cool coin, but dang, may be buried at that price honestly.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people gobble up the DC pieces and sell them aftermarket for some pretty hefty markups. I notice a couple of those Chain Cent tokens for $140+ on the bay.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2020 5:52PM

@jwitten said:

With just 4 available to collectors, I'm guessing the buyer would do fine, but you need to be able to wait for the right buyer. It cannot be a distressed sale.

For example, there were 16 of these struck and originally sold for $2000 in 2013. This one resold for $2500 back in 2017 and is the only one I've ever seen offered.

The interesting thing about these is Dan writes these range from "satiny-matte to full cartwheel". It would be great to have photos of all 16 and I imagine some people might want more than one with those differences.

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

The scant offerings on Dan's site portend to an offering soon. I should think another Hard Times would be in works as well.....I'd personally like to see a '65 .40 silver clad Ben Franklin Half, through '70 with a Cu Nickle '71. That'd be cool!

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't it partly the thrill of the hunt? Low mintages are what makes MM pieces fun and challenging.
    As well as WHAT IS NEXT?? :)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

>

Super nice you lucky dog. Keep up the search.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    The following is one I really wanted, and I was finally able to get one 3 years after seeing it. There are just 15 of these.

Patience is a virtue :)

Another spectacular one @Zoins. You've gotten some great ones over the years.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@jwitten said:

With just 4 available to collectors, I'm guessing the buyer would do fine, but you need to be able to wait for the right buyer. It cannot be a distressed sale.

For example, there were 16 of these struck and originally sold for $2000 in 2013. This one resold for $2500 back in 2017 and is the only one I've ever seen offered.

The interesting thing about these is Dan writes these range from "satiny-matte to full cartwheel". It would be great to have photos of all 16 and I imagine some people might want more than one with those differences.

I didn't realize the mintage was so low. Yeah, not a terrible price considering.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2020 11:04PM

@jwitten said:

@Zoins said:

@jwitten said:

I didn't realize the mintage was so low. Yeah, not a terrible price considering.

Yeah, that's super low for a regular issue. Low mintage regular issues are really special.

Of course, there are one offs like the following too. I love how the two strikes are aligned on this one. Dan's very good at positioning second strikes so they come out looking really well. There's a lot of art to it. I actually won this on eBay while at the Moonlight Mint. My reception wasn't great inside so I stepped outside momentarily to win it and then back in to do more minting with Dan :)

• Options

I have a different one, no stains on obverse. Mine may be unique as it is not struck with medal turn dies as described on DC production blog. Instead dies were set up in coin orientation.

@Zoins said:

@jwitten said:

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

@Zoins said:

Super nice you lucky dog. Keep up the search.

I should be clear that I didn't pick up that one. It's nice but it was out of my budget. I think it was a Best Offer and may have actually sold for just a bit less, like $2,250 than the $2,500 ask.

• Options

@LindyS said:
    I have a different one, no stains on obverse. Mine may be unique as it is not struck with medal turn dies as described on DC production blog. Instead dies were set up in coin orientation.

@Zoins said:

@jwitten said:

Awesome! That would be a great one to see! Do you have any pics?

• Options

Very Cool ! Good For You Chief !

• Options

WTG Chief!

• Options

You suck! (but awesome coin!! :D )

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apologies if covered in the 120 pages of this thread 😜 but is there a list of Dan Carr coins that PCGS will now accept? I have a few original 1964-D Peace overstrikes as well as 1933 bison nickels and a 1964 Franklin. Thanks much!

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
  • Options

@philographer said:
    Apologies if covered in the 120 pages of this thread 😜 but is there a list of Dan Carr coins that PCGS will now accept? I have a few original 1964-D Peace overstrikes as well as 1933 bison nickels and a 1964 Franklin. Thanks much!

Not sure. I've actually only seen this one from @U1chicago, but I'd love to see more!

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@philographer said:

Not sure. I've actually only seen this one from @U1chicago, but I'd love to see more!

And we still don't know if it was slabbed on accident or is now accepted. Maybe someone else wants to try and submit one with an order and report their results.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

I seem to recall that PCGS would certify if the piece was listed in a certain exonumia publication.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

Not DC stuff but many DC collectors are members of the KOTCT. I made a small donation when I joined and got these for joining. Not sure how many were made.... B)

• Options
    edited August 15, 2020 4:40AM

2020 Moonlight Mint Open House O/S 1890-CC Morgan Dollar - USAROK

Just ran across this one posted by @USAROK on the bay. It's pretty awesome :)

• Options
    edited August 15, 2020 8:41AM

@Akbeez said:
    I seem to recall that PCGS would certify if the piece was listed in a certain exonumia publication.

PCGS mentions Krause:

https://www.pcgs.com/tokensandmedals

Krause Unusuals listed in the US Section, from the reference "Unusual World Coins, 6th Edition" by Krause Publications.

• Options

Ah, from one of the 3 Amigos. Not located in Colorful Colorado I see.

Lindy

@Zoins said:
    2020 Moonlight Mint Open House O/S 1890-CC Morgan Dollar - USAROK

Just ran across this one posted by @USAROK on the bay. It's pretty awesome :)

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Very nice piece, terrible lighting and photos. Looks much better in hand for sure.
    12 grams as shown. Almost the size of a Half Dollar.

that ... is ... awesome!

• Options

Love these pieces and I have several myself. I am very interested in buying one of the incredible Winged Double Eagle overstrikes - please message me if anyone is willing to part with one!

• Options
    edited August 26, 2020 3:59AM

@beholdmycape said:
    Love these pieces and I have several myself. I am very interested in buying one of the incredible Winged Double Eagle overstrikes - please message me if anyone is willing to part with one!

Welcome to the forum.
    Good luck finding the Winged Double Eagle.

What are some of the pieces you own? Got any pics?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file