Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope to get me some MMXXI Peace Fantasies to round out my collection, please.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

She's a beauty, no doubt. Somebody got a nice one.... B)

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    After 2 years I finally got it graded, one happy camper here. This was a single submission, my others ship today.
    Thanks to ANACS for giving me the CG Gold Label. It's the label I wanted but forgot to request. They knew.... :)

Congrats! I have one to get slabbed as well! I was waiting years for Dan to make this so couldn't miss it when it became available!

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter Wow Chief! That is spectacular! That has to be the cornerstone of any Carr collection.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

My order has shipped !!!!!!

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

My orders shipped as well

GrandAm :)
  • GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice job Chief a GOLD LABEL!!!!

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Just got the others in and went for this one first. I ask ANACS to put the Owl as the obverse. This old brass owl is one of my favorites. Got lots of photos to take, more to come this weekend.

I also love that Owl. Never thought to have ANACS slab the reverse on the front.

Dan's Year of the Dog coins are great sleeper rarities. 49 minted in silver, and only 39 copper.

@Bullsitter said:
    Lucky to be in the right place at the right time for this one.

That's what makes the hunt exciting!

edited May 22, 2020 9:20AM

Both High- Grade.
    The 1964-D has a cool satin finish almost Matte.
    The 1970-D has a PL finish on the reverse.

• clarke442clarke442 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

For 2021 there will probably be Peace and Morgan items in the 50mm 2-oz centennial format. Perhaps also a "MMXXI" (Roman Numeral 1921) over-strike, since there was an early sculpt by Anthony DeFrancisci that had that.

I shall start saving for them now :D

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the 1st two times I have seen DC Fantasies hit MS70,
    Good For You Chief !

And of course, Great QC Daniel !

@Bullsitter said:
    Both High- Grade.
    The 1964-D has a cool satin finish almost Matte.
    The 1970-D has a PL finish on the reverse.

@Bullsitter I was wondering if that $20 Brass Confederate medal was in your submission. It looks fantastic! Congratulations on a great piece.

@Downtown1974 said:
    @Bullsitter I was wondering if that $20 Brass Confederate medal was in your submission. It looks fantastic! Congratulations on a great piece.

How did you know about the submission? Are ANACS submissions published online?

edited May 22, 2020 6:19PM

I am thinking from everybody DROOLING (including me ) over Chiefs Confederate coin it’s time for Dan to repunch another round of Confederate coins! :o 🤪😛😝😜😋What day you Dan? o:)

@Zoins said:

@Downtown1974 said:

How did you know about the submission? Are ANACS submissions published online?

No, Chief said he was waiting on his submission.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

x2 on the Confederate coins.

Many happy BST transactions
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes, please do another design if you go confederate. I love my brass and gold ones.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Nice pieces Zoins, that Double-Struck piece is the cream of the crop.

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

ZOINKS Zoins!! Impressive group -- that peso looks familiar! Did Savanich keep the other?

Yes, there's been some amazing pieces posted lately and I have the feeling more are-a comin!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    edited May 23, 2020 7:00PM

@Akbeez said:
    ZOINKS Zoins!! Impressive group -- that peso looks familiar! Did Savanich keep the other?

Thanks! I didn’t want to say anything and jinx myself before I had it in hand! Dan owns the other one. Would be great to hear more on these.

Yes, there's been some amazing pieces posted lately and I have the feeling more are-a comin!

Definitely! Dan makes some amazing things! I really love his creativity! It’s great to see his techniques change over time too which is one reason I like the toned Broken Sword.

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Touche' ! I'm with ya on the circ broken swords -- was lucky to get this blue beauty.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    edited May 23, 2020 8:11PM

@Akbeez said:
    Touche' ! I'm with ya on the circ broken swords -- was lucky to get this blue beauty.

Awesome! Love the color on that one! The circulated pieces can have nice individual looks like these. Congrats!

That's pretty neat about the circulation process.

Gluggo, you didn't tell us about that..... ;);):#

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright here goes. I have literally hundreds of DC coins and medals in their original flips. I actually just sorted through them looking for a coin for a formite.

Questions

1) what’s the best way to self slab them? From what supplier? I’m guessing over half of them are 39mm in size

2) a lot of the silver guys have tarnish which I know how to handle. Can I safely remove the tarnish on the brass coins as well as I would the silver?

Thanks!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited May 24, 2020 2:11PM

Now that Dan is overstriking Susan B. Anthony dollars, here's a crazy idea.

Would anyone be interested in a 2000 SBA dollar struck on a Sac dollar?

edited May 24, 2020 2:47PM

Well,, I send all my Dan Carr stuff to ICG for slabbing but I like to store some of my favorite .999 silver rounds in Coin World Premier slab holders. In fact I just ordered another dozen last night.

You can get them from AMOS PRESS but shipping is charged so depends on how many you are going to buy.

I have had silver rounds in Coin World Holders for years and some have started to tone all around the rims and look quite nice. I have also gotten holders 1 mm over in size and was actually able to put the coin in the KoinTain capasule inside the CW slab holder. These coins haven't toned at all.

This is the place with the best price I found,,,,,, Wizard Supplis was out of 39 mm when I checked last night.

Here is a Disney Round that was just in a capasule when I got it. I just slabbed it last night.Be sure to order the CORRECT size for your coins because 1 mm off and they won't fit or roll around. The right size one is very easy to put the coin in,,,, the wrong size impossible unless you grind the inside diameter to make it fit an oddball size coin. I also have these self-seal baggies that fit slabs perfectly,,,,, PCGS, ICG & NGC. Then when I get my ICG Slabs I put them it the self seal baggie and I enclose the original DC COA & flip so all is together. You can see the Disney Round in its baggie. I can post an ICG slab in the baggie with the COA if you want me too later this evening?

@Bullsitter said:

Dan OVERLOADED my brain 🧠 when I was there! It was a new process for him I might even have it on video during tumbling. I will look but I was overwhelmed by Dans Master Mind! :*

edited May 24, 2020 2:56PM

@Gluggo said:

@Bullsitter said:

Dan OVERLOADED my brain 🧠 when I was there! It was a new process for him I might even have it on video during tumbling. I will look but I was overwhelmed by Dans Master Mind! :*

Don't worry about your memory! We really didn't really see different color antiquing with different time lengths. We did see different colors based on planchets for antiquing and also different color toning effects. Dan is amazing! There's so much that goes into putting these pieces together!

edited May 24, 2020 2:45PM

@Justacommeman said:
    1) what’s the best way to self slab them? From what supplier? I’m guessing over half of them are 39mm in size
    Thanks!

m

I would double check the diameter before ordering because a Morgan or Peace Dollar or IKE Dollar is 38.1 mm in diameter. Not sure if overstriking will increase that or not.I think I have read where Dan stated sometimes the diameter does increase so I would get both 38.1mm & 39mm for Dam's overstruck dollars.

@GRANDAM said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Thanks!

m

I would double check the diameter before ordering because a Morgan or Peace Dollar or IKE Dollar is 38.1 mm in diameter. Not sure if overstriking will increase that or not.I think I have read where Dan stated sometimes the diameter does increase so I would get both 38.1mm & 39mm for Dam's overstruck dollars.

I would love the baggie pic! I love the idea of putting the insert/ flip in the baggie with the coin as well

Thanks!

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Alright here goes. I have literally hundreds of DC coins and medals in their original flips. I actually just sorted through them looking for a coin for a formite.

Questions

2) a lot of the silver guys have tarnish which I know how to handle. Can I safely remove the tarnish on the brass coins as well as I would the silver?

Thanks!

m

Yes, same process for brass and copper as you would do for silver, except keep the duration time as short as possible.

However, use fresh "dip" solution. If the solution has been used previously to clean silver (and especially if the solution has turned yellowish) it can potentially plate silver onto the brass or copper.

One more question. How do you all store your medals? Larger then 41 mm?

Thanks in advance

m

edited May 24, 2020 7:01PM

@Justacommeman said:
    One more question. How do you all store your medals? Larger then 41 mm?

Thanks in advance

m

I use these from Wizary Coin Supply

Lighthouse Quadrum XL Coin Holders -- 41mm up through 58mm-- 5 packs. There like a 2.5" X 2.5" Square and about 1/4" thick. Of course they require a bigger box to store them all if you dont have them slabbed.

https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/quadrum-holders-lighthouse/

In fact I just put a order in for 5 different large sizes just to keep my stock well supplied! When I read your post I. went to my account and realized I failed to finalize yesterday’s order so I added a few more and finished the order. Thank you for posing the question I might of never caught it. I really like the smaller 2 X 2 ‘s for all the other smaller non slabbed coins/tokens ect. What is nice about this brand is that the inside foam is a soft expandable fabric just in case it’s a bit tight it will stretch to fit.

Great coin @Gluggo !

Given that Dan has the designs for the 1805 Draped Bust Dollar, what do people think of a 1834 or 1835 Draped Bust Dollar given that the order to the Mint was made in 1834 and the coins delivered to Edmund Roberts in 1835?

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, Gluggo, that is so much nicer looking than the Unc. version there. So very nice!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Question regarding Dan's overstruck Silver Eagles.

Has anyone ever known any of these to spot?

Does Dan do any special treatment of the Silver Eagles before striking like acetone or dip?

edited May 25, 2020 10:37AM

I have several of his silver eagles but I set-up my acetone assembly line at home ,,,,,,, which nobody wants to support and treat my silver coins before submitting to any of the BIG three mentioned above or even if just storing them ungraded.. So far many years later NO SPOTS!!!!!

I soak in acetone generally for an hour or more,,,,,, probably don't need to that long but I am OCD on little things like that and tend to over do it but soaking in acetone for a week would not hurt the coin has been my experience. OK, I have never soaked any coins over 2 hrs and then only if I got distracted.

I just think the soak before grading would greatly help the spotting problem and would give the buyer more confidence forking out BIG BUCKS for graded .999 silver coins.

Better safe than sorry,,,,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file