Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2020 11:46PM

@COCollector said:

@ZoidMeister said:
    I've been waiting on this one for a while. It's my second 2017 KOTCT Bi-metalic medal. The original was brass / copper ringed. This one is silver / copper ringed. I will get them both out for a side by side photo tomorrow, but for now . . . . . .

Interestingly, the brass/copper bi-metallic medal was never listed on the original KOTCT order sheet.

That is, none were ordered by any KOTCT members.

Instead, that medal was a bonus given to members. IIRC, if you placed an order by the deadline, your order automatically included one brass/copper medal at no charge.

Since the brass/copper medals were all "test strikes", I'm guessing Dan was experimenting.

Yours looks nicely toned... compared with my rather plain-Jane version:

Wow, great information @COCollector! I did not know that about these.

@ZoidMeister said:
    Wow, there is a huge difference. Mine are the only two I've ever seen. Here is a photo the seller took of the brass / copper when I purchased it. I figured Dan gave it a "color tone" treatment, but now I'm not sure. It really reflects the colors nicely when held in the light at different angles.

What I'm seeing on the edge of the silver/copper piece is "ONE TROY OZ - .999 SILVER".

Is there supposed to be something else?

Intriguing . . . . .

Z

Yours looks great. I love the color behind the knight!

Here's mine. It definitely looks like it was color toned or something as the copper ring isn't has bright on @COCollector's or my silver/copper, and it doesn't have a nice bright brass look to it, but it's also not dramatic as @ZoidMeister's. Love the variety on these.

• Options
    edited October 15, 2020 3:17AM

@Akbeez said:
    Nice @Zoins ! Yours different yet! Toning process yields many colors depending on many factors.

Dan writes the toning on these were a byproduct of being blow torched between strikes!

Here's the text from the Moonlight Mint Catalog:

Brass center with copper outer ring (test strikes).
    All have one or more additional broad-strikes.
    The diameters range from about 51mm to about 53mm.
    All were struck with semi-proof-like surfaces. To get complete strikes, they were blow-torched (annealed) between strikes. Most were not cleaned after the blowtorching and these show various toning patterns ranging from somewhat dark to somewhat hazy with slight pastel color.
    Some show defects such as off-center inner circle or small straight clip.

Here's a comparison of my brass/copper and silver/brass.

2017 KOTCT brass / copper - Mintage 44

2017 KOTCT silver / brass - Mintage 46

• Options
    edited October 15, 2020 2:59AM

@Akbeez said:
    Here's another version:
    2017 Antiqued Silver 2 oz! I actually had two and JUST sold one on Saturday. Their finishes were very different as was said earlier, Mr. Dan was likely experimenting with these at the time.

My collection piece -

I think the copper antiqued finishes are some of my favs - and were highly variable. Speaking of which, I will continue to TAUNT @Bullsitter with this piece that he graciously (read: foolishly :D) sold to me. It's not listed in the blog, and according to Dan (pg 48 here) only 2 or 3 were given the post-strike antique/toned finish (as experimental). I love this piece.

I'd like to see more of this!! :o

Me too! I love seeing different finishes especially since they are all so different!

Do you have photos of the other silver that you sold to compare?

Just 2-3 of those? Now that's rare!

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have photos of the other silver that you sold to compare?

This one I sold but is dramatically different than the other (lighter toning). Some of that is different lighting as they were taken at very different times.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2020 3:48PM

Akbeez, you are right, I was a moron. The colors on that piece are unique.

Here's one of my favorites. The color tones blend together well on this piece.
    If I ever offer to sell this please don't buy... :#

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

Dare we tell them what I'm getting from you next?

I couldn't resist . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

That is a KILLER piece! How about $100? :o

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2020 8:44AM

@Bullsitter said:

Go ahead and throw that one in the package you're sending my way Chief . . . . .

I wish . . .

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    edited October 16, 2020 9:11AM

@Bullsitter said:
    Here's a current photo of my pocket piece.
    What grade would you give it?

I would put that at an AU-53.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

Chief,

Your post above reminds me of the copper color-toned 2018 KOTCT that I was able to secure. I dang near forgot about it until your mention above. While not as striking as yours (I love the color palate uniformity) this one is fairly "colorful" . . . . .

I should have a couple additional Dan Carr items to post later today, and maybe, early next week.

Z

• Options
    edited October 16, 2020 2:50PM

Picked up a couple of "obligatory" pieces over the past week.

I didn't have anything to represent this area of DC's creations, so I went with a couple of what I consider "half breeds," but the quality and detail of the design and engraving still shines through . . . . . .

They were inexpensive enough.

Z

1622 Atocha Cob - mintage ~6,650

1715 Fleet 300th Anniversary Cob - mintage ~760

• Options

Just arrived today. Another addition to the Colorado Springs Coin Club Medals I posted above. In addition to the copper and brass, satin and proof medals above, I just received the silver proof medal with the Pike's Peak Liberty gold gilded.

I think this one is real purdy . . . . . .

Z

2012 Colorado Springs Coin Club 50th Anniversary (silver proof, gold gild) - mintage 96

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2020 4:27PM

@ZoidMeister said:

@Bullsitter said:

Chief,

Your post above reminds me of the copper color-toned 2018 KOTCT that I was able to secure. I dang near forgot about it until your mention above. While not as striking as yours (I love the color palate uniformity) this one is fairly "colorful" . . . . .

I should have a couple additional Dan Carr items to post later today, and maybe, early next week.

Z

Zoid....I believe yours is the color toned copper and Chief posted the antique brass.

• Options

@Downtown1974 said:

Zoid....I believe yours is the color toned copper and Chief posted the antique brass.

Oh man, another finish to find . . . . . ?

Of course you are correct. I'm still learning all this stuff . . . . . .

Z

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BsktmkrBsktmkr Posts: 30 ✭✭

76 struck in copper, 70 brass, 61 in the nickel alloy, 76 aluminum.

ANA E-1059458
  • Options

Jeff told me he may be making a final batch in November depending on orders.

• Options
    BsktmkrBsktmkr Posts: 30 ✭✭

Jeff's So-Called Dollar Fellowship meets once a year. I had to attend via FaceTime this year as the risk of Covid is too high for my medical history. The last three years, we have met in Reno. Participants medals were struck for each of the first four years. We met twice at Dan's Moonlight Mint and participants had the opportunity to strike their own medal or two. The Wilson dollar medal offered the chance to strike two medals to commemorate the three meeting in Reno. Anyone can buy one or more of the medals struck for the gathering, but one medal is always produced in an alloy or finish that is not available for purchase and edge numbered. Participants receive a medal as a souvenir of their participation. One medal set uses the Wilson dollar obverse die and the other set uses the commemorative reverse die used for the 100th anniversary Wilson dollar. The two sets include silver, selectively gold plated silver, copper, brass, aluminum, and tin. For 2020, Jeff produced an antiqued brass version of the Wilson obverse Fellowship medal. I have pictured the brass version (30 struck) and the participant's antiqued brass version (14 produced and edge numbered). Regular participants get to keep their number if they wish from year to year. My number is 01.

ANA E-1059458
  • Options

Order shipped.... :)

• Options

I got a Moonlight Mint shipping notice for my second order this morning!

Z

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Bsktmkr for your photos and the heads up.
    I just ordered the Ag, Cu, Br, Al for both styles plus the Nickel version.

• Options

Dan made some additional Covid-19 Hard Times tokens available again on his site. I was able to grab what I needed at original issue price.

Woo Hoo!

Z

http://www.dc-coin.com/index.aspx?page=3

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister, you've caught it bad. Carr Addiction. This forum thread is the waiting room for the only treatment... new offerings on his site. It's only a temporary relief though. Fellow forum members will sometimes share their supple of vintage items. Ebay keeps calling too. The new So-Called-Dollar's provided a booster fix. KOTCT, hopefully, will expand the waiting room with some choice 2020 club metals soothing salve being dispensed. We fellow patients know the longest lasting relief is from the source. Dr. Dan's Rocky Mountain Mint & Spa. The treatment supply will soon be made available so we all will be refreshed and grin till it hurts. But soon the itch will return. Such is the fate we all face.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2020 5:48AM

Great (sarcasm)...Dan's website has been listed as "Category: auctions" and is BLOCKED at work. I will have to keep living vicariously through other forum members purchases.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@Kudbegud said:
    @ZoidMeister, you've caught it bad. Carr Addiction. This forum thread is the waiting room for the only treatment... new offerings on his site. It's only a temporary relief though. Fellow forum members will sometimes share their supple of vintage items. Ebay keeps calling too. The new So-Called-Dollar's provided a booster fix. KOTCT, hopefully, will expand the waiting room with some choice 2020 club metals soothing salve being dispensed. We fellow patients know the longest lasting relief is from the source. Dr. Dan's Rocky Mountain Mint & Spa. The treatment supply will soon be made available so we all will be refreshed and grin till it hurts. But soon the itch will return. Such is the fate we all face.

I tried to agree, like and lol at the same time.... B)

• Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

@felinfoel said:

@Zoins said:
    I'm not sure if everyone saw this one, but all the Open House pieces being posted recently jogged my memory about this pair I had posted in the Benny Haimovitz memorial thread back in July.

2017 MMOH Square Medals - Copper & Silver - Ex-Haimovitz

The story of this pair is that I had always wanted to get a pair of the 2017 Moonlight Mint Open House square tokens struck on square blanks and was happy that Benny offered them for sale. Benny was a big Dan Carr fan and helped forum collectors along. I didn't know it at the time, but this may have been the last order that he fulfilled, or one of he last, as his last login to the CU forums was on August 18, 2019, I purchased these from him on August 25, 2019 and he left us on September 21, 2019. I didn't know him like some here did but I feel fortunate to to have made this connection and let his memory live on.

RIP Benny.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1038351/benny-haimovitz-rip

@felinfoel said:
    One of my favorites from Benny.

Here's another of my favorites from Benny

• Options

@felinfoel said:

@felinfoel said:

@Zoins said:
    I'm not sure if everyone saw this one, but all the Open House pieces being posted recently jogged my memory about this pair I had posted in the Benny Haimovitz memorial thread back in July.

The story of this pair is that I had always wanted to get a pair of the 2017 Moonlight Mint Open House square tokens struck on square blanks and was happy that Benny offered them for sale. Benny was a big Dan Carr fan and helped forum collectors along. I didn't know it at the time, but this may have been the last order that he fulfilled, or one of he last, as his last login to the CU forums was on August 18, 2019, I purchased these from him on August 25, 2019 and he left us on September 21, 2019. I didn't know him like some here did but I feel fortunate to to have made this connection and let his memory live on.

RIP Benny.

@felinfoel said:
    One of my favorites from Benny.

Here's another of my favorites from Benny

Is the Carr Collector Club large enough to start tracking provenance of Dan's pieces :)

• Options

@felinfoel said:

@felinfoel said:

@Zoins said:

RIP Benny.

Here's another from Benny:

One of ten, here's the text from Dan's site: "Special award medal, reverse shows full moon in place of regular Shield design"

Another awesome trade with Benny. As Benny once told me: "Always more fun to trade !"

• Options
    edited October 20, 2020 8:20PM

@Zoins said:

Is the Carr Collector Club large enough to start tracking provenance of Dan's pieces :)

Interesting question! Might be tough on any pieces with higher than...maybe 10 or 20 minted? I bet most of that is in the .999 gold category. That implies most would be those more "affluent", and not us average Joes (I speak for myself here, I can't afford gold much anymore).

• Options

@felinfoel said:

@felinfoel said:

@felinfoel said:

@Zoins said:

RIP Benny.

Here's another from Benny:

One of ten, here's the text from Dan's site: "Special award medal, reverse shows full moon in place of regular Shield design"

Another awesome trade with Benny. As Benny once told me: "Always more fun to trade !"

Love that one! The moon die is awesome! Would love to pick one up :)

• Options
    edited October 20, 2020 8:25PM

@Akbeez said:

@Zoins said:

Interesting question! Might be tough on any pieces with higher than...maybe 10 or 20 minted? I bet most of that is in the .999 gold category. That implies most would be those more "affluent", and not us average Joes (I speak for myself here, I can't afford gold much anymore).

I think it could be interesting, especially the toned and antiqued pieces.

• Options

AND we know there are many "special strikes" that are un-documented in the blog, but very limited mintage. Provenance may be hard to validate without a signed cert from Dan on the piece.

• Options
    edited October 20, 2020 8:35PM

@Akbeez said:
    AND we know there are many "special strikes" that are un-documented in the blog, but very limited mintage. Provenance may be hard to validate without a signed cert from Dan on the piece.

Many pieces don't have signed certs.

I think a forum post from Dan is good enough :)

I picked up the following a while back:

• Options

Love that one! The moon die is awesome! Would love to pick one up :)

Benny also traded me a 2012-2015 KOTCT Silver PL Uniface (blank reverse) medal. Mintage of twelve. I don't have a photo handy, but can take one by this weekend.

Here's what Benny said when we made the deal:

2012-15 39mm Silver PL, Uniface Award Medal, ANACS69, one of the 6 remaining unissued examples from the Estate Sale of Sir Muckeye, this is currently listed on eBay and substantially more difficult that most Dan Collectors realize since the other 6 were already engraved and issued.

I don't have a photo handy, will take one this weekend.

• Options
    edited October 20, 2020 8:47PM

@Zoins said:

@Akbeez said:

>
    I'd go along with a forum post too -- as we have several of those already documented. UNTIL they all get erased for whatever reason (not true documentation). Sounds like a good research project for you @Zoins !! :#:#
    Might be time for a Carr reference book/circular ~~
    EDITED TO ADD: That NEVADA pattern is nothing WITHOUT photos!! ;)

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:

I try and document everything that is produced, although there are post-strike finishes (color-toned, sand-blast matte, antiqued, and/or circulated) that are not always accounted for.

In the case of prototype state quarters, there is a general comment on my web page (Catalog) to address these:
    moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_prot_quarters_list.htm
    "NOTE:
    A small quantity of each of the different coins listed below were
    produced with post-strike worn (tumbled) and/or bead-blast (matte) finishes.

The tumbled and matte coins were not issued with certificates.
    They are included in the reported mintage totals for their original as-struck finish,
    but any specific post-strike finish on them is not noted in the sections below."

• Options
    edited October 21, 2020 12:45AM

@Akbeez said:

@Zoins said:

@Akbeez said:

>
    I'd go along with a forum post too -- as we have several of those already documented. UNTIL they all get erased for whatever reason (not true documentation). Sounds like a good research project for you @Zoins !! :#:#

I'm working on it! You can see my prep work in the recent change in my photo layout style and extended commentary! I love adding additional text to photos since it keeps the information and photos together but for a book, it's much better to have uniformity. Once it's up, I'll be asking for help to populate it :)

I published some PDFs earlier but people told me they were too big to download. I liked huge photos too much. So now, I'm working on a modified approach. Hopefully, I'll be able to have something up soon but it requires me finding some time to work through a last issue, but unfortunately I've had no time recently!

There are photos up there ;)

• Options

@dcarr said:

@Akbeez said:

I try and document everything that is produced, although there are post-strike finishes (color-toned, sand-blast matte, antiqued, and/or circulated) that are not always accounted for.

Thanks Dan for chiming in! It's sometimes the mystic that makes some strikes MYSTICAL!

• Options

@Zoins said:

I'm working on it! You can see my prep work in the recent change in my photo layout style and extended commentary! I love adding additional text to photos since it keeps the information and photos together but for a book, it's much better to have uniformity. Once it's up, I'll be asking for help to populate it :)

I published some PDFs earlier but people told me they were too big to download. I liked huge photos too much. So now, I'm working on a modified approach. Hopefully, I'll be able to have something up soon but it requires me finding some time to work through a last issue, but unfortunately I've had no time recently!

WHAT? Musta missed that?? Site?

• Options
    edited October 21, 2020 12:57AM

@Akbeez said:

@Zoins said:

WHAT? Musta missed that?? Site?

There is a site coming! But I'm dealing with TLS certificate issues :(

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:
    Provenance may be hard to validate without a signed cert from Dan on the piece.

And every subsequent owner thereafter must also sign this cert, like checking out a school library book

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    edited October 25, 2020 6:42AM

Came in today. Pics kind of blurry, too lazy to get the tripod out, weekend project.

Like the tone of this one.

• Options

I got a Moonlight Mint envelope as well today. Photo session will have to wait, work beckons . . . . . . .

Z

• Options

WOW - they almost have a lacquered look --

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file