Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2020 3:16PM

2015 Octagon Owl on Ebay, if I didn't have one it would be mine.

Letting y'all know if interested.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@TheReverend said:

One of my prized items by Mr. Carr.

You have the large model? That's amazing!

How large is it? I see only 25mm pieces in the catalog.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

Ditto (not my auction, but I love the Clark Gruber Octagons).

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

I have two already but I'm still considering it. Thanks for letting me know!

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW WOW WOW ! Your Octagons, all of you, are spectacular !

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2020 11:45AM

I'm feeling EDIT: EXTREMELY inadequate all of a sudden . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

Ha! I was hoping Chief would bring out his "parliament" of Owls! Always fun to see them and lust after those antiqued!! ;)

All the PANPAC EXPOS -- I don't have any but may include those in the hunt! You guys have very impressive groups :o

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2020 5:31AM

@Bullsitter said:
    Bought this one on ebay for $49, only 19 were made.
    I do not know the story on these but the label and medal have 2017 DENVER ANA LESHER DISPLAY.
    I would have liked to see that display... B)

That's a great medal and very rare! I would love to have one! I'm also on the hunt for a 2014 Type 1 No Imprint. I have a number of the 2014 Type 2 and 2015 pieces.

@WDP participated in the display with 6 other collectors. I wonder if Dan gave them each a medal? Perhaps he can share some photos of the display?

@WDP said:
    For those interested in Lesher Dollars, I and six other collectors will have a display of over 75 Lesher Dollars at the 2017 ANA Convention in Denver, Colorado.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    I do not know the story on these but the label and medal have 2017 DENVER ANA LESHER DISPLAY.

That was an amazing pick, @Bullsitter!

I snagged this one, and paid... more than $49 :|

• Options

@felinfoel said:

@Bullsitter said:

This has consecutive serial numbers with the one from @Bullsitter, being one number earlier! Wonder who owned these and got them slabbed.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@felinfoel said:

@Bullsitter said:

This has consecutive serial numbers with the one from @Bullsitter, being one number earlier! Wonder who owned these and got them slabbed.

His ebay name is Stageleft22 out of Scottsdale AZ. Don't know if he had them graded though.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    His ebay name is Stageleft22 out of Scottsdale AZ. Don't know if he had them graded though.

Yup, that's where I got mine as well. Looks like there were two consecutive. The ones before and after those two serial numbers are different coins by Dan.

• Options
    edited November 9, 2020 3:34PM

@dcarr said:
    I don't know how or why a Lesher Display piece could end up at $49 on eBay (good deal for the buyer !).

I know, I about passed out. My max bid was $225 I think. The best I remember it wasn't listed in the correct category and didn't have Daniel Carr in the title. I found it by mistake, it wasn't in my normal DC search on ebay. I think I did an ANACS search on exonumia and found it.

I also bid on the second one and got blown out of the water.

• Options

I know, I about passed out. My max bid was $225 I think. The best I remember it wasn't listed in the correct category and didn't have Daniel Carr in the title. I found it by mistake, it wasn't in my normal DC search on ebay. I think I did an ANACS search on exonumia and found it.

I also bid on the second one and got blown out of the water.

I missed the first one (and kicked myself). I won the 2nd one with a bid of $230.27. I can't remember what my top bid was.

While not nearly as good as @Bullsitter's amazing $49 deal, I'm very happy with that deal, concerning the rarity, initial cost, ANACS fees, etc. And I love Dan's octagons. Hope to make it to Dan's booth at ANA in person some day.

• Options

My other two large castings.
    Info from Mr. Carr's website:
    http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc_castings_list.htm

• Options

Mr. Carr, were there other Alternate State Quarter large castings besides the Nevada?

• Options

WOW is all I can say!!

• Options

@TheReverend said:

3 of only 10, that I'm aware of, 2007 Copper Proof sets produced by Mr. Carr.

Amazing! What a great set!

I remember Dan posting the preliminary designs on these forums for discussion. I wonder if that thread is still around!

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheReverend said:
    Mr. Carr, were there other Alternate State Quarter large castings besides the Nevada?

No others.
    I realize now that I never included the Nevada casting(s) in my published records.
    Strange question to ask (since I don't remember), do you know how many large Nevada castings I made and what metal it is ?

Can I use your picture, since I don't have one of that ?

• Options

@dcarr said:

@TheReverend said:

No others.
    I realize now that I never included the Nevada casting(s) in my published records.
    Strange question to ask (since I don't remember), do you know how many large Nevada castings I made and what metal it is ?

Yes, you may use my pictures, I'm glad I can contribute.
    I bought these large castings many years ago on eBay. The seller had one of them up for auction, which I won, then the seller offered me the other two, each at the same price I won the auction. I do not remember which one was up for auction. It was an offer I could not refuse.
    It's a silver magnetic metal.
    The reverse imprint is (blank x 1). I don't know if this is true but I remember hearing you would do that, leaveing the area blank, allowing you the option of producing more.

• Options

The Nevada casting weighs 5lbs 6.6oz.

• Options

@felinfoel said:
    Those castings are amazing, @TheReverend!

I snagged this one on eBay a few years ago. 14 minted.

That's one of my favorite designs by Dan!

Congrats on picking that up!

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2020 1:49PM

@TheReverend said:

@dcarr said:

@TheReverend said:

No others.

Yes, you may use my pictures, I'm glad I can contribute.
    I bought these large castings many years ago on eBay. The seller had one of them up for auction, which I won, then the seller offered me the other two, each at the same price I won the auction. I do not remember which one was up for auction. It was an offer I could not refuse.
    It's a silver magnetic metal.
    The reverse imprint is (blank x 1). I don't know if this is true but I remember hearing you would do that, leaveing the area blank, allowing you the option of producing more.

Thanks, I had been meaning to edit my castings page to include a couple other vintage items, and this gave me the motive to do it.

Here is the updated document:
    moonlightmint.com/dc_castings_list.htm

• Options
    Will1960Will1960 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2020 2:20PM

@Zoins said:

@felinfoel said:
    Those castings are amazing, @TheReverend!

I snagged this one on eBay a few years ago. 14 minted.

That's one of my favorite designs by Dan!

Congrats on picking that up!

Yep, Great Design.
    Several years ago I purchased the remaining rounds that he had left.
    Same with some of the very low mintage cast bars.
    Then my inbox was full of would you like to sell a few?
    I've been 'collecting' D. Carr's works for quite some time.
    I really need to take a complete inventory of what I have.
    If you like it, buy it!
    Missed out on a few and that still 'bugs me'.

• Options

@dcarr said:

Thanks, I had been meaning to edit my castings page to include a couple other vintage items, and this gave me the motive to do it.

Here is the updated document:
    moonlightmint.com/dc_castings_list.htm

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    edited November 11, 2020 8:13PM

@oih82w8 said:
    I picked up a couple D. Carr pieces, with ebay bucks to boot, and was looking over the sellers images and noticed one of the letters of COLORADO was missing/filled die, and a couple of Repunched letters on CLARK GRUBER as well. The image from http://www.dc-coin.com/una2009100amerossilverproof-likeseatedlibertywithddc-1-1-1-1-3-2-1-1-1-1-1-3-1-2-1-1.aspx shows all of the lettering of COLORADO present, it just adds a little character to my octagonal piece. This is my first Lesher Trade Token.

Wow! Great eye! That's amazing!

Great quote by Benny on that page too!

Benny Haimovitz said:

A Great 2017 Lesher Dollar !

Another exceptional creation and I think the best Lesher design so far due to the Assay Office reverse. Great work Dan !

• Options

@oih82w8 said:
    I picked up a couple D. Carr pieces, with ebay bucks to boot, and was looking over the sellers images and noticed one of the letters of COLORADO was missing/filled die, and a couple of Repunched letters on CLARK GRUBER as well. The image from http://www.dc-coin.com/una2009100amerossilverproof-likeseatedlibertywithddc-1-1-1-1-3-2-1-1-1-1-1-3-1-2-1-1.aspx shows all of the lettering of COLORADO present, it just adds a little character to my octagonal piece. This is my first Lesher Trade Token.

>

Dagnabbit! I saw that piece as well, and wanted to pull the trigger on it. I saw the missing "L" as well, but was trying to do some research on it . . . . .

Excellent grab, dagnabbit . . . . . .

I have been working behind the scenes to add to my hoard (it's beyond a "collection" at this point). I have been remiss in posting incoming, as most have been rather pedestrian compared to what y'all have been posting up.

I have also been a bit "distracted" by Jeff Shevlin and some of his stuff . . . . . . . exonumia smitten I am. Getting myself into trouble, I am . . . . . . .

I am, however, hoping to get back into the "competition" shortly with some yet to be delivered arrivals . . . . . . .
    . . . . . . . .

Z

• Options

“dagnabbit” ! Are you Deputy Dawg??

Haven’t heard that term in a coons age...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file