Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should have it on hand early next week, I will advise.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2020 11:24AM

I was just thinking... Given Dan's goal of making a coin of every US type, how many of us, if any, are filling Dansco with Dan’s coins?

Mine are all in slabs for flips but it’s interesting to think about!

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

All this talk about "octagons" . . . . . . .

This is the ONLY ONE I have - at the moment - and it's not even a Carr . . . . . . . but I am looking to change that soon.

Some of y'all are so far ahead of me that a boy can never catch up . . . . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    edited November 12, 2020 12:24PM

Don Kagin was handing those "two cent" tokens out in Dallas a few years ago as I was headed off the bourse.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I was just thinking... Given Dan's goal of making a coin of every US type, how many of us, if any, are filling Dansco with Dan’s coins?

I'm gonna wait for the Dan'sco 7070 O/S album.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@oih82w8 said:
    I picked up a couple D. Carr pieces, with ebay bucks to boot, and was looking over the sellers images and noticed one of the letters of COLORADO was missing/filled die, and a couple of Repunched letters on CLARK GRUBER as well. The image from http://www.dc-coin.com/una2009100amerossilverproof-likeseatedlibertywithddc-1-1-1-1-3-2-1-1-1-1-1-3-1-2-1-1.aspx shows all of the lettering of COLORADO present, it just adds a little character to my octagonal piece. This is my first Lesher Trade Token.

That is strange and I don't have an explanation for it.
    I think I still have that die, so I will take a close look at it the next time I get a chance.

I just checked the die. The "L" is still there and it matches the other lettering exactly (in terms of depth, font, etc.).
    At this point my assumption would be that the photo was "retouched". A momentary filled die is also a possibility, although such things are rarely so perfect as to be able to make a letter completely vanish without the slightest trace.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@dcarr said:

@oih82w8 said:
    I picked up a couple D. Carr pieces, with ebay bucks to boot, and was looking over the sellers images and noticed one of the letters of COLORADO was missing/filled die, and a couple of Repunched letters on CLARK GRUBER as well. The image from http://www.dc-coin.com/una2009100amerossilverproof-likeseatedlibertywithddc-1-1-1-1-3-2-1-1-1-1-1-3-1-2-1-1.aspx shows all of the lettering of COLORADO present, it just adds a little character to my octagonal piece. This is my first Lesher Trade Token.

That is strange and I don't have an explanation for it.
    I think I still have that die, so I will take a close look at it the next time I get a chance.

I just checked the die. The "L" is still there and it matches the other lettering exactly (in terms of depth, font, etc.).
    At this point my assumption would be that the photo was "retouched". A momentary filled die is also a possibility, although such things are rarely so perfect as to be able to make a letter completely vanish without the slightest trace.

I should have it in hand early next week...i will "fill in" the details.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

I do not own a Dansco album, but I will probably get one or more at some point. I've been saving a few of each over-strike as I go and I plan to fill a some albums at the end. I think there will be difficulties with some over-struck coin diameters not fitting the holes, so I anticipate having to enlarge some of them.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that's a Dansco I'd like to take a gander at.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2020 7:59PM

This 3D nickel showed up in my mailbox today. Excuse the quick iPhone image, please

Mr_Spud

• Options

I've had quite a few show up, and I will get around to posting them up, but these are the most recent and notable received. I haven't seen anyone else post any similar as of yet.

Z

2020 Wilson 100 Year Anniversary Medal (Brass)

2020 Wilson 100 Year Anniversary Medal (Copper)

2020 Wilson 100 Year Anniversary Medal (Nickel)

2020 Wilson 100 Year Anniversary Medal (Silver Gilt)

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

BTW, for those who haven't grabbed a 2020 Covid-19 Hard Times Token yet, it looks like there are a few more available on Dan's website.

Z

http://www.dc-coin.com/index.aspx?page=3

• Options
    Will1960Will1960 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    And final installment for this morning.

I GOT MY FIRST OCTAGON . . . . . !

It isn't an Owl, but I am hoping to rectify that shortly . . . . . . .

Z

Good for you.
    I'm fortunate to have every 'Owl' that was issued so far, 1 duplicate of the following years.
    Dupes are for my 8 year old G-Daughter, she likes them, as well as the Many stamps on envelopes of recent orders.
    Is fun researching each one, explaining the historical meaning of some.
    I still need to complete an inventory of every D. Carr item.
    I like the ones stamped on the planchets that were found in the press that he rebuilt, already slabbed when purchased from his page in 2013 or so.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2020 3:18PM

I have some D. Carr pieces (two octagon and two 2016 Merlins) waiting for me at the house...gotta finish my part-time job shift tonight.

• Options

Dr. Defecto I presume?

• Options
    edited November 16, 2020 6:27PM

@Bullsitter said:
    Dr. Defecto I presume?

Oh nooooo.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2020 3:45PM

After looking over my latest D. Carr bounty, there really is no cure for the fever...except for more D. Carr pieces...I almost said "...more cowbell".

...oh and the "missing letter" in COLORADO on my 2017 $50 Lesher Trade Token...it is present and accounted for.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    I have had these pieces for a while, it's the slabs that are new. Monster size self slabs.

Very nice. I have no problem with self slabbing. Especially as nicely done as these. Bravo.

• Options

Those Zoidy Slabs are cool man, cool..... B)

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Happy Thanksgiving....

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    hey thanks @ZoidMeister - hadn't picked up any 'covid silver' yet - my first d carr piece on the way 💨

Uh oh -- you do know that Carr pieces are very addicting, eh @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ ? It's ok, we are all in this together. Post 'em when you get 'em! Welcome :)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

quickly learning @Akbeez - almost picked up 3 of those covid medals - would've picked up a couple other pieces, but so much of his site is SOLD OUT ... matter of time, im sure; I'll be back 😂

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question for the avid Carr followers in this thread.

When buying some of his pieces via BST here or via other internet sources, do his pieces sell for over initial acquisition cost. For example his 2017 2 gram silver coin, year of the dog silver coin, and I see people talk about the octagons (guessing the 1.5 oz silver owls)? I haven’t searched eBay or actively followed, but have a few pieces because when I first joined here, the items were talked about and I found them interesting. Now I am hoping to understand their value better.

I haven’t decided if I am buying more or selling, but will need to pick a direction soon.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2020 9:48PM

@SimpleCollector said:

When buying some of his pieces via BST here or via other internet sources, do his pieces sell for over initial acquisition cost. For example his 2017 2 gram silver coin, year of the dog silver coin, and I see people talk about the octagons (guessing the 1.5 oz silver owls)? I haven’t searched eBay or actively followed, but have a few pieces because when I first joined here, the items were talked about and I found them interesting. Now I am hoping to understand their value better.

I haven’t decided if I am buying more or selling, but will need to pick a direction soon.

Thanks

Almost always they sell over issue price,,,,, sometimes multiples of issue price.

Of course this is after the item is no longer for sale on The MoonLight Mint Web Site.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimpleCollector said:

Thanks

It depends on the item, how long ago it was issued, how available they are, how quickly you want to sell, what method you use to sell, etc...

Some of the recent issues can sell for close to issue price (they can of course go up with time as more interest develops or new people discover Carr pieces they have missed). Also, if you have an item that is fairly easy to find, it might take a while to sell (since many of the Carr fans already have it and there is more competition among sellers to move it). And no reserve eBay auctions aren't always the best method of selling Carr items (this is how I've acquired a few pieces for under issue price). If you have something that is rarer or more popular (like an Oregon Commem, Cappped Bust, early 1964 Peace Dollar), then you will be able to sell relatively easily and for well above issue price (buy-it-now on eBay or BST here would be my suggestions).

• Options

@Will1960 said:

@Bullsitter said:
    Happy Thanksgiving....

A belated Dan Carr Happy Thanksgiving to you and all as well.

Z

You do know that the first national bird under consideration was the turkey, but we ended up with this "vulture."

• Options

Yes Sir.
    Ben Franklin suggested the Turkey.

• Options
    edited November 29, 2020 12:01AM

Here's one I purchased from @Akbeez a while back. Thanks! :+1:

These photos are the original sale photos processed using Photoshop's Auto Everything (Auto Tone, Auto Contrast, Auto Color) and looks pretty much like the piece in hand.

• Options

Ah yes -- I do recall that it had a slightly pink cast! Nice job tuning it up @Zoins :)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2020 8:14PM

2020 Dead Man's Treasure by Dan Carr and Chris M. Geiner

These recently showed up on eBay.

I love how the pirate is holding up a Dan Carr cob!

Is the 2021 date in these slabs an error? I'm asking since they were obviously struck, slabbed and being sold in 2020....

• Options

@Zoins said:

Is the 2021 date in these slabs an error? I'm asking since they were obviously struck, slabbed and being sold in 2020....

Good question. I was unable to find these in the MM blog. Supposedly they are listed in the CMG website, but not easily found with the searches I tried.

• Options
    edited December 1, 2020 8:25PM

@Akbeez said:

@Zoins said:

Good question. I was unable to find these in the MM blog. Supposedly they are listed in the CMG website, but not easily found with the searches I tried.

They are here:

http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_event_tokens_list.htm

• Options
    edited December 2, 2020 7:26AM

That's an interesting piece. Any pics of the reverse?

• Options

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couple new pieces up.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

Thanks for the heads up

• Options

Got 'em. . .

Z

@Bullsitter !

• Options

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    Thanks for the heads up

>
    >

Anyone figure out the riddle/answer?

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:

@Kudbegud said:
    Thanks for the heads up

>
    >

Anyone figure out the riddle/answer?

Is the new path going the other way DOWN the stairs,,,,,, thinking outside the box.

GrandAm :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file