Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• Options
    felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭

Benny also traded me a 2012-2015 KOTCT Silver PL Uniface (blank reverse) medal. Mintage of twelve. I don't have a photo handy, but can take one by this weekend.

Here's what Benny said when we made the deal:

2012-15 39mm Silver PL, Uniface Award Medal, ANACS69, one of the 6 remaining unissued examples from the Estate Sale of Sir Muckeye, this is currently listed on eBay and substantially more difficult that most Dan Collectors realize since the other 6 were already engraved and issued.

Here are the photos. I put my SLR setup away (my daughter is taking her college classes from my home office), so cellphone photos will have to do for now.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

A quick shot of my most recent Dan Carr arrivals. I need to do a few "glamour shots" as time permits . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

New arrivals today --

The Buffs have quite a glossy look -- quite attractive actually.

Missed out on the circ Native Flying Eagle :/ if anyone has an extra... :)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

AND another today -- on the copper color-toned theme!

Less than 80 struck along with "vibrant color-toned" pieces. What's also interesting about this piece is the color tones CHANGE as you move the lighting on the piece. No 2 photos are the same. Here's another light angle -

Almost impossible to image this piece for its "true colors". Unusual for a matte finish piece (vs proof), they are usually easy to image. Gotta wonder why?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just received my order yesterday. Dan's overstrikes are getting better all the time. Very impressive!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@Akbeez said:
    AND another today -- on the copper color-toned theme!

Less than 80 struck along with "vibrant color-toned" pieces. What's also interesting about this piece is the color tones CHANGE as you move the lighting on the piece. No 2 photos are the same. Here's another light angle -

Almost impossible to image this piece for its "true colors". Unusual for a matte finish piece (vs proof), they are usually easy to image. Gotta wonder why?

Man, that is a really nice example. I never get tired of seeing Dan's color toned or antiqued pieces.

Wish this one was as vibrant. And you are correct on the difficulty of capturing the true colors of these in photographs.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed out totally on the circulated F.E., Indian Cent and Buffalo Nickels.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@ZoidMeister said:

Man, that is a really nice example. I never get tired of seeing Dan's color toned or antiqued pieces.

Wish this one was as vibrant. And you are correct on the difficulty of capturing the true colors of these in photographs.

Z

Yours "appears" more vibrant, Z ('specially the blue). Do you have the coa? There were 2 varieties.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Our old friend Gluggo sent these photos to me. He got a new camera and was trying it out.
    He's getting pretty good at it... B)...Nice pieces too.

Good to hear he's still at it. Tell Gluggo to put his glasses on when he captions his pics! :#

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got my brilliant FE cent today and it looks like it was overstruck on a very porous donor specimen that still shows underlying. No pics but anyone else seeing this? Kind of detracts from the otherwise beauty of the piece.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2020 9:39PM

@cheezhed said:
    I got my brilliant FE cent today and it looks like it was overstruck on a very porous donor specimen that still shows underlying. No pics but anyone else seeing this? Kind of detracts from the otherwise beauty of the piece.

I have several and all seem similar in luster/surface. Under magnification, they seem to have a grainy finish that is unintentionally enhanced in my pics. Post a pic when you can for comparison ~~

Edited to smaller size to better capture true resolution and color.

• Options

I'll post mine up tomorrow.

Z

• Options

I take that back, I didn't realize that I already have photos taken.

Here is my example.

Z

• Options

Gluggo sent me his FE pic -- he agreed a bit hard to image and has a grainy finish -

Dang- took a longggg time to load. Must be a few gigs in size ;) . His new mega-Canon EOS 5-D cam!!

WOWWEEE! Nice pic! The color is interesting on these as they are part nickel and have a very slight brassy color. Mine appear more white.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM

WOW

• Options

Z> @Zoins said:

@Zoins said:

@Akbeez said:

@Zoins said:

@Akbeez said:
    AND we know there are many "special strikes" that are un-documented in the blog, but very limited mintage. Provenance may be hard to validate without a signed cert from Dan on the piece.

Many pieces don't have signed certs.

I think a forum post from Dan is good enough :)

I picked up the following a while back:

>
    I'd go along with a forum post too -- as we have several of those already documented. UNTIL they all get erased for whatever reason (not true documentation). Sounds like a good research project for you @Zoins !! :#:#
    Might be time for a Carr reference book/circular ~~

I'm working on it! You can see my prep work in the recent change in my photo layout style and extended commentary! I love adding additional text to photos since it keeps the information and photos together but for a book, it's much better to have uniformity. Once it's up, I'll be asking for help to populate it :)

I published some PDFs earlier but people told me they were too big to download. I liked huge photos too much. So now, I'm working on a modified approach. Hopefully, I'll be able to have something up soon but it requires me finding some time to work through a last issue, but unfortunately I've had no time recently!

For those interested in this, I've made some progress.

Right now the thinking is to have a website and a PDF magazine that are based on the same data, similar to Mint Error News website and PDF magazine by Mike Byers. With the use of tags, the hope is to easily find all pieces by Dan since it would be great to cover other minters as well.

I've been practicing on a static website called PrivateMintNews.com. Right now, I just put up a static CMS to see what issues I'll run into with even basic content. Not surprisingly, the biggest challenge is image management. Ideally, the website would be as easy to use as the CU forums but provide more permanent information management. One reason I put this together is to keep track of pieces as they come out.

Two articles worth checking out are. These are both Moonlight Mint pieces, but neither were sold by Dan so these pages combine distribution/sales info, photos (idea is to be public domain with acknowledgment), etc.

Way back on May 2019, I did something similar in PDF format (time flies), with my Bolen Pynchon House PDF booklet:

The idea is to have a lot of content in the website with the ability to generate many PDFs each PDF can be aa reasonable size. I like PDFs because as much as we love websites, many hobby sites disappear over the years, GMMNut (http://www.gmmnut.com) by Verne R. Walrafen and Heraldic Art Medallions (www.heraldicartmedallions.com) by Don A. "Smitty" Smith.

Both the PrivateMintNews website and the Bolen PDF are written in Markdown like used on the forums.

While the current static website and PDF are stepping stones, I do have a database-based website in development too. You can add / edit pages. Next on the list are image and user management.

Let me know your thoughts on what you would like to see. This isn't only for me to write, but thee idea is that anyone would be able to post and have their pieces make it into the website an PDF magazine.

Also, I own both PrivateMintNews.com and Numismapedia.com. What name do you like better? Private Mint News has the advantage of being more focused but Numismapedia is a bit more broad and would let me cover my other interests like toners, patterns and Mint medals.

• Options

I like the concept and names for both sites. If the Numismapedia site would allow for user contributions similar to Wiki that would lighten the load and generate content quicker, albeit I know nothing about setting up such a site.

I think there is use for both.

Z

• Options

BTW, the Bolen PDF is a masterpiece.

Z

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    I like the concept and names for both sites. If the Numismapedia site would allow for user contributions similar to Wiki that would lighten the load and generate content quicker, albeit I know nothing about setting up such a site.

Either way, that's the idea. There are so many great pieces and posters that it would be difficult for one person to post them all and it would be great to get all of us collectors involved as we all have so may different pieces. Mint Error News has multiple contributors but something like a wiki would be more open.

BTW, the Bolen PDF is a masterpiece.

Thanks! It was fun writing it. Now I want to a something that makes putting together articles like that a snap :)

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins
    You've taken on a big task which I appreciate. I wouldn't know how to start.
    A couple of my first thoughts:
    PrivateMintNews.com is a great main title and would bring in the collector with an interest in private minters.
    with _Numismapedia.com _for reader input and comment as a sub-title could fill the need not to choose a title but incorporate both ideas under one publication.
    Each private minter could have their own sub category under PrivateMintNews where info and details about them might make updating easier to make (maybe) and for collectors to find.
    I like "Mint News Blog" style because it presents each article, in date order, as a brief snapshot of the "news" and you can click through to read more and not have to slog through things that don't interest you.

Now to check out the links you provided. Thank you for your efforts to improve collector enjoyment.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not great pictures, but just a bit of graininess that is not so obvious in hand as it has more of a matte appearance.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Also, I own both PrivateMintNews.com and Numismapedia.com. What name do you like better? Private Mint News has the advantage of being more focused but Numismapedia is a bit more broad and would let me cover my other interests like toners, patterns and Mint medals.

Whoa @Zoins - that's quite the manifesto(s) you have started!! ;) Will take some time to digest, but greatly appreciate your efforts to document these interesting pieces. I can only imagine the daunting task at cataloging/interpreting many or all the D Carr issues. How many different types/varieties has he produced to date?

• Options
    edited October 27, 2020 9:24AM

@Akbeez said:

Whoa @Zoins - that's quite the manifesto(s) you have started!! ;) Will take some time to digest, but greatly appreciate your efforts to document these interesting pieces. I can only imagine the daunting task at cataloging/interpreting many or all the D Carr issues. How many different types/varieties has he produced to date?

Thanks! It's definitely a labor of love which has taken many years to even get to this state. There's still much to do but several avenues of effort are coming together now.

As to how many different types and varieties? I'd say a lot as he's an artist and loves to experiment! And that's one reason for this effort. There's so many wonderful pieces that we each have but it's hard to keep track of them all. Check out this overstrike page. Think about all the pieces out there without photos!

I just added two more of mine as an experiment. As you can see, the page content for both of these is very similar so I'll need to decide what to do. There will probably be a "type" page and a "specimen" page. The Type could be like a CoinFacts Coin Number page in which case one consider is whether all metals and finishes should be grouped together.

There's a bunch of info on those pages regarding the Colorado Springs Coin Club, the direction of the Palmer Statue, etc.

Here are the photos for those that don't want to go to those pages :)

2012 Colorado Springs Coin Club 50th anniversary medal - Antiqued Copper with Select Gold Plate

This one is mine and the earliest piece I've seen with selective gold plate. By 2013 this became more commonplace with the Moonlight Mint Open House strikes.

2012 Colorado Springs Coin Club 50th anniversary medal - Antiqued Brass

This one is a brass specimen with what Dan called matte finish and patina. Today, I'm guessing we'd call it antiqued.

• Options

Holy Moly @Zoins ! Now I feel exceedingly fortunate to have been able to secure the specimens of these that I have.

Z

• Options

@Zoins

For your "Select Gold Plate" collection of images. I'll need to try to take better ones . . . . . .

ANACS put the reverse in the front . . . . . .

Z

• Options

I'm quite a bit behind posting up recent arrivals, so I figured I would add at least one tonight. Overall, I think I am a couple of dozen behind . . . . .

Z

2013 Battle of Lake Erie Bicentennial - Silver - mintage 250

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    @Zoins

For your "Select Gold Plate" collection of images. I'll need to try to take better ones . . . . . .

ANACS put the reverse in the front . . . . . .

Z

I'm not surprised. The club lists General Palmer as the obverse and the coin as the reverse, but it's common to have the date on the obverse and the issuer (e.g. United States, or Colorado Springs Coin Club in this case) on the reverse.

• Options
    edited October 28, 2020 3:54AM

@Akbeez said:

Here are the photos for those that don't want to go to those pages :)

2012 Colorado Springs Coin Club 50th anniversary medal - Antiqued Copper with Select Gold Plate

This one is mine and the earliest piece I've seen with selective gold plate. By 2013 this became more commonplace with the Moonlight Mint Open House strikes.

2012 Colorado Springs Coin Club 50th anniversary medal - Antiqued Brass

Oh my Gosh -- that is a KILLER piece!

Damn nice pics too @Zoins ~~

Your research and photo skills are very impressive Padawan :#

Thanks! They are gorgeous photos but I can't take credit for them. They are the seller's photos. I just cropped and matted them. Unfortunately, I may have lost track of who I purchased it from so many years ago. If anyone remembers selling this, please let me know! It was a flip, I believe originally sold by Dan on eBay and then flipped at a higher price. I paid the higher price but have been very happy with the piece.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grades. Disappointed the slug didn't get a 69.

TOKEN DAN CARR 2015-D CLARK GRUBER $5000 2.5 Oz .999 COLORADO GOLD 68
    TOKEN DAN CARR 1932-S BUFFALO NICKEL FLIPOVER TRIPLE STRUCK 67
    TOKEN DAN CARR CONCEPT 1881 $4 STELLA O/S ON USA 1906-S $5 70 DCAM

• Options

Ouch @renman95 on the slug -- that's some hefty sh-stuff. Got pics on that and the buff triple?

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    A PR-70 DCAM gold Stella is la creme de la creme.

STELLA!

Just realized my Stellas are still raw, need to send them to the plastic factory.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2020 4:03PM

It's sad when your photos of candy bars look better than your coin photos.... :#

• Options

Anyone hear anything about the 2020 KOTCT medals yet?

Z

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zzzzzz...on the 2020 medals.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Updates on Dan's site. Circulated versions of his Flying Eagle and Native Head cents are available again.

http://www.dc-coin.com/

I missed out on most when they first popped up, happy to get the rest this time.

• Options

@felinfoel said:
    Updates on Dan's site. Circulated versions of his Flying Eagle and Native Head cents are available again.

http://www.dc-coin.com/

I missed out on most when they first popped up, happy to get the rest this time.

Got a few myself. Thanks for the heads up!

Z

• Options

@Zoins . . . . ^^^

• Options

@Bullsitter ^^^^^^

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2020 5:38AM

Happy Halloween... B)
    Antiqued Merlin, mintage 7.

Color- Toned Merlin, mintage 6.

• Options

@Akbeez said:
    Ouch @renman95 on the slug -- that's some hefty sh-stuff. Got pics on that and the buff triple?

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file