Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2020 6:07AM

@sedulous said:
    Show me your 1907-O Barbers whether dimes, quarters or half dollars! This seems to be a bit of a sleeper date. Here is my NGC F12 quarter:

• T

I agree, a tougher date.

My best [all raw] are two VF-20, and an AU 50

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:

@sedulous said:
    Show me your 1907-O Barbers whether dimes, quarters or half dollars! This seems to be a bit of a sleeper date. Here is my NGC F12 quarter:

• T

I agree, a toucher date.

My best [all raw] are two VF-20, and an AU 50

Here us my issue with the date and mint, I can't find XF let alone quality XF. AU55? no problem. VF20? or VF30? ok... anything in-between? good luck.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my 1907 O Quarter; PC AU 55:

I purchased the coin at a Heritage Auction in 2015 in a NGC XF 45 holder. I cracked it out and submitted it raw. Needless to say I was surprised at a 3 grade bump.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

A couple of months ago I picked up a nice raw 1895 O Quarter (eBay) with a center MM position. It came back from our hosts a couple of weeks ago in an AU 55 holder; I finally found time over the weekend to do a little photography:

@sedulous picked up my spare and posted it last week.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    A couple of months ago I picked up a nice raw 1895 O Quarter (eBay) with a center MM position. It came back from our hosts a couple of weeks ago in an AU 55 holder...

@sedulous picked up my spare and posted it last week.

Sorry to hear you didn't get the 58 Jeff, thanks for the cast-off. Very neat story on the '07-O!

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Tim - This is an image of a formerly owned 1907-O, a very nice PGCS 58 now in some lucky new caretaker's cabinet.

-this much better image provided by Gerry Fortin of GFRC-

Craig

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please don't get mad at me. But from those pictures I absolutely do not like that coin.

@Labelman87 said:
    Tim - This is an image of a formerly owned 1907-O, a very nice PGCS 58 now in some lucky new caretaker's cabinet.

• Options

@Labelman87 said:

Is that a scratch at the end of the bust from above the 7 to the last star?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@Labelman87 said:

Are you stating what I see as kind-of-like a throat slit horizontally at the Liberty bust neck near the bottom but above the date? I agree with what you found. I can see, with the right color exposure, it might pop as a coin but something I don't like about the picture. The picture seems a bit subdued or something. I still like the coin for its toughness and date-mintmark.

• Options

@sedulous said:

@Treashunt said:

@Labelman87 said:

Are you stating what I see as kind-of-like a throat slit horizontally at the Liberty bust neck near the bottom but above the date? I agree with what you found. I can see, with the right color exposure, it might pop as a coin but something I don't like about the picture. The picture seems a bit subdued or something. I still like the coin for its toughness and date-mintmark.

It looks to me like there's a die chip in the lower neck area.

• Options

Here's a new raw pickup back from the grading room, an 1897 S now in a PC AG3 holder:

Does anyone other than Tim know why I purchased this coin and paid to have it graded? I know I'm a lunatic, but that's not the correct answer.

• Options
    bfjohnsonbfjohnson Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Looks like a 14th star on reverse?

• Options

LOL! It's a center MM!

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's a new raw pickup back from the grading room, an 1897 S now in a PC AG3 holder:

Does anyone other than Tim know why I purchased this coin and paid to have it graded? I know I'm a lunatic, but that's not the correct answer.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

You like getting things in the mail???

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    LOL! It's a center MM!

@JeffMTampa said:

You are correct! The center MM on the '97 S Quarter is rare. It's presumed that an unused reverse die from the early '90's was uncovered and used. Try finding one that grades above AG.

• Options

@No Headlights said:
    You like getting things in the mail???

Yes. The USPS is still operational in Florida.

• Options
    SrotagSrotag Posts: 23 ✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

Love the scotch tape mark across the obverse. That's how I held loose coins in my blue Whitman folders when I was 8 years old (about 50 years ago). When I rejoined the hobby in 2008 and sold all my raw coins to start collecting slabs, I had many such coins with that unusual toning--that's how I recognize it.
    Probably not a good method of preservation for AU and MS coins. :wink:

• Options

@bfjohnson said:

I think that was absolutely hilarious! LOL!

• Options

@sedulous said:

@Treashunt said:

@Labelman87 said:

yes, at the throat

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

@Treashunt said:

@Labelman87 said:

It looks to me like there's a die chip in the lower neck area.

die chip?

I don't see that.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

I copied the Image and enlarged it. Here's where I see it:

Hard to determine from a low resolution, however.

• Options

could be, tough to see

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff - I'm doing well, all-in-all, thanks for asking. I've been working on my picture taking skills, when not on the links (or doing what my wife instructs, of course). Here's a newp into Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my 1907 O quarter which has the look I really go for.

I think I've posted it before, but @sedulous requested it so....

• Options

@barberkeys said:
    Jeff - I'm doing well, all-in-all, thanks for asking. I've been working on my picture taking skills, when not on the links (or doing what my wife instructs, of course). Here's a newp into Milo's collection, PC58:

Nice photo. I've been looking for that EXACT coin.

• Options
    edited June 10, 2020 9:18PM

Here's one of my latest upgrades - from @sedulous, an NGC VG8 '97S center mintmark. Just a tad nicer than the raw one that I've had for years. [Edited to correct the mint mark]

• Options
    edited June 10, 2020 6:53PM

@bfjohnson said:

I see that 14th star! It's right below the O in "of" - squished in between the other stars. Check it out let me know if you see it too, ok?

• Options

I fixed your post here. Looks like a solid 10 to me!

@jedm said:
    Here's one of my latest upgrades - from @sedulous, an NGC VG8 '97S center mintmark. Just a tad nicer than the raw one that I've had for years.

• Options

@jedm said:
    Here's my 1907 O quarter which has the look I really go for.

I think I've posted it before, but @sedulous requested it so....

Daannnggg, all day long Jed.

• Options
    edited June 10, 2020 9:07PM

@jedm said:
    Here's one of my latest upgrades - from @sedulous, an NGC VG8 '97O center mintmark. Just a tad nicer than the raw one that I've had for years.

I will miss the old girl, nice coin but I have my eye on a bigger prize. Provenance Jed is Heritage, Oct. 13th, 2015, Auction #131541, Lot #23472. Jeff is right, it is much rarer than many realize in ctr MM. In 50 years (or short of 50), I reserve the right to reclaim her and be first in line 😀. BTW, '97-S (not O!)

• T

• Options

I will grant you that right Tim. I now see I had said it was an O mint, @amwldcoin mentioned that he fixed it but I thought he was just referring to his estimation of the grade. LOLIn the past I was liable to give in to the temptation to crack out coins for my Dansco but the older and maybe a very slight bit wiser, (or just lazier) me resists that temptation so it'll remain in plastic.

• Options

I would say the same with your '03-S here Jed... wouldn't mind having a shot at this during that same, futuristic conversation!

So beautiful.

• T

• Options

I intentionally purchased a damaged Barber Quarter.

The 1895 S Center MM Quarter is not easy to find; my guess it's about 5% of the population. Well worn examples are available, but VG on up attractive examples are rare. I came across a very attractive raw AU example a few weeks ago:

Attractive, but with obvious damage. I'm intrigued by the nature of the scratch, however. It's perfectly straight with a rounded trough, and doesn't extend into the fields on the left side:

I had to wonder if the depression was on the planchet prior to striking. In some ways it looks like that; in other ways PMD. Whatever it is I suspect it's about as old as the coin itself. Because there's no damage on the reverse it's unlikely the coin was struck by something (like a cold chisel) after striking. Anyone have an idea of how the depression on this coin was made?

• Options

@barberkeys said:

nice! and a tough date

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    I intentionally purchased a damaged Barber Quarter.

The 1895 S Center MM Quarter is not easy to find; my guess it's about 5% of the population. Well worn examples are available, but VG on up attractive examples are rare. I came across a very attractive raw AU example a few weeks ago:

Attractive, but with obvious damage. I'm intrigued by the nature of the scratch, however. It's perfectly straight with a rounded trough, and doesn't extend into the fields on the left side:

I had to wonder if the depression was on the planchet prior to striking. In some ways it looks like that; in other ways PMD. Whatever it is I suspect it's about as old as the coin itself. Because there's no damage on the reverse it's unlikely the coin was struck by something (like a cold chisel) after striking. Anyone have an idea of how the depression on this coin was made?

I have to check mine, I never thought to look for the Center MM

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Eldorado9 said:
    Latest additions to my Barber Half Proof CAC Reg. Set. I'm getting close, with only 7 coins missing out of 24 total for the complete set. Pretty exciting. Both the 1893 and 1912 are surprisingly hard to find in high grade, original condition.

beautiful!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

A few months back I purchased a 1905 O Dime in an ANACS AU 55 holder. I cracked it out and submitted it raw; it came back from PCGS as an AU58:

Someone had to post something to break the ice after @Eldorado9 posted his beautiful Halves.....

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    A few months back I purchased a 1905 O Dime in an ANACS AU 55 holder. I cracked it out and submitted it raw; it came back from PCGS as an AU58:

Someone had to post something to break the ice after @Eldorado9 posted his beautiful Halves.....

Nice Dime Jeff! Have a great weekend buddy.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

It belongs in a 58 holder.

congrats

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

You keep working your way back to the smaller denominations!, that is one pretty Barber dime. The color glaze is very visually gratifying Jeff. You sure do make coin collecting pursuits more enjoyable when you take us along for the ride like that. I like how your image production turns out immaculate details on coins!

• Options

Enough for the nickels, dimes, and quarters- we need a King Coin posted!

Here's a coin that arrived in the mail yesterday, a 1914 Half currently housed in an ICG MS 63 holder:

In my view this is a good example of an original looking MS 63. It's no blazing toner, but a nice coin that will look even better in a PCGS holder.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Enough for the nickels, dimes, and quarters- we need a King Coin posted!

Here's a coin that arrived in the mail yesterday, a 1914 Half currently housed in an ICG MS 63 holder:

In my view this is a good example of an original looking MS 63. It's no blazing toner, but a nice coin that will look even better in a PCGS holder.

Great looking original 1914......!!! Love the date....In MS and Proof lowest mintage for series.....Always a great coin!

• Options

I have been spring cleaning my numismatic office. Came across this Rare Coin Review, July/August 1995, Bowers & Merena, stating how difficult it is to find a 1907-S Barber Half in Choice AU or higher. Have you all found this continues to be the case? - Tim

• Options

Re: Jeff's 1914 Half.....Here's her painted up sister.

• Options

Yes! Very tough coin!

@sedulous said:
    I have been spring cleaning my numismatic office. Came across this Rare Coin Review, July/August 1995, Bowers & Merena, stating how difficult it is to find a 1907-S Barber Half in Choice AU or higher. Have you all found this continues to be the case? - Tim

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Darrell. Tough half

• Options

Found out there are now 57 graded uncirculated at PCGS. For NGC, 32 are noted for that population in uncirculated. In AU58, it is (PCGS) 8 (along with an additional 1 in 58+) and 8 (NGC) respectfully.

• Options

Drool worthy:

• Options
    edited June 15, 2020 10:37AM

Here's another recent pickup, an 1894 O Quarter in a NGC holder:

This is the Far Right MM variety; my current example is in a "cleaned" holder.

Guess the grade!

It will be making it's way to our hosts for a new holder soon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file