Home Sports Talk

New England Patriots 2019 discussion thread

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 25, 2019 12:08AM in Sports Talk

Can we just start this now, I cannot wait any longer 🤣😂😂🤣

Comments

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much going on right now with the Pats other than Brady & Josh Gordon working out together and Belichick's right hand man Nick Caserio getting wooed by the Texans to be their next GM. NE got the league to look into tampering charges before Kraft & Texans owner McNair got together and the complaint was dropped but reports are Caserio wants that job. From what I've read he's pretty important here in NE,they should either name him the Pats GM with a sizeable raise or just let him go to Houston after working out some type of compensation package. Any two out of Deshaun Watson,DeAndre Hopkins & JJ Watt should be justifiable compensation for Nick Caserio becoming their new general manager. B)

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t wait for training camp to start!! 🏈

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm excited for this year and however many Tom has left.

I really feel like BB doesn't want to leave any more championships on the table.

As I've said before, after 28-3 it's all gravy.

Here's Broadway Joe himself explaining why Brady is the best ever. I like his take. (PS This is a now sober Namath and I pray he stays that way). https://youtu.be/KwcaBpf-plc

edited June 25, 2019 1:13PM

Broadway Joe sounded great! He had well thought out answers and managed the conversation perfectly 👍

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

WEEK 11 · Sun 11/17 · 4:25 PM EST

Philadelphia Eagles versus the New England Patriots

Mark your calendar. And for those of you who are bold enough to make an avatar bet, be sure to change your avatar right after the game to an Eagles avatar for a week, after Carson Wentz teaches Tom Brady what "Out with the old, in with the new" means.

I'm actually really happy that we play the NFC East this year.

@stevek said:
    WEEK 11 · Sun 11/17 · 4:25 PM EST

Philadelphia Eagles versus the New England Patriots

Mark your calendar. And for those of you who are bold enough to make an avatar bet, be sure to change your avatar right after the game to an Eagles avatar for a week, after Carson Wentz teaches Tom Brady what "Out with the old, in with the new" means.

Steve you got yourself a bet!

edited June 29, 2019 8:34PM

This fun fact on Twitter is pretty interesting.

@thisistheshow said:
    This fun fact on Twitter is pretty interesting.

I’m a little surprised at the amount of game winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks Grogan had, I didn’t think it was that many. Awesome chart btw

I was surprised too.

I'm glad you liked it!

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talk about misleading information!

@DIMEMAN said:

:D

Too bad all of those losses may result in Brady not getting into the Hall of Fame.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@DIMEMAN said:

:D

I think anyone looking at this very close will notice what I noticed....hence "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey use to say. ;)

@stevek said:
    Too bad all of those losses may result in Brady not getting into the Hall of Fame.

Yes, it's a pity :)

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

This and his dropped pass in the 2017 season Super Bowl, basically sealed Brady's fate for entry into the Hall of Fame. B)

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

This and his dropped pass in the 2017 season Super Bowl, basically sealed Brady's fate for entry into the Hall of Fame. B)

Really, the only thing his dropped pass did was ensure the Eagles their lone ring.

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

Really, the only thing his dropped pass did was ensure the Eagles their lone ring.

I was so hungry for an Eagles Super Bowl win, if a Patriot's cheerleader had dropped a pom-pom and that somehow ensured the Eagles a ring, I would have gladly taken it. :)

After that loss, one of the things that made me feel better was thinking of my old college friends that I have lost touch with. I went to school in Pennsylvania and was friends with a few diehard Eagles fans.

How we use the running back position, and also the pass catching rb, has and will play a huge role in getting the most out Tom's last years.

How do you envision them divvying up the touches? How would you like to see them do it?

You will often hear people say that the Pats success is just from being in a weak division and that they haven't been dominating the rest of the league.

This graphic from the Patriots Reddit sub helps shoots down that narrative.

@thisistheshow said:
    How we use the running back position, and also the pass catching rb, has and will play a huge role in getting the most out Tom's last years.

How do you envision them divvying up the touches? How would you like to see them do it?

If it’s not broke do t fix it. I love how they mix it up, they need to continue to do what they been doing and they should make another run

@thisistheshow said:
    You will often hear people say that the Pats success is just from being in a weak division and that they haven't been dominating the rest of the league.

This graphic from the Patriots Reddit sub helps shoots down that narrative.

Haters going to hate 🤷‍♂️

I am visiting my family in Ma next week. I usually go up every summer. But looking at the schedule, I would love to visit in November and catch the Cowboys game.

@thisistheshow said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Michel,Harris,White & Burkhead can do if they all stay healthy this year. For years I've been hoping that Belichick would find a star level RB for the end of Brady's career like Denver had with Terrell Davis for Elway. Obviously not as a 2K yards guy,Michel looked like he could be that type of back at times last year but the RB group as a whole dealt with a bunch of injuries. Adding Harris looks like he & Michel could be a solid change of pace tandem with Rex & White the do-it-all guys but the run game as a whole lost some great blocking with Brown at LT and Gronk/Allen at TE though.

Saw the Julian Edelman documentary he put together, I liked it. He did a great job with it

I haven't seen it yet. I'll probably watch it next week when I am in Ma.

I would anticipate him staying retired. I'd prefer it too. But we'll see.........

edited July 10, 2019 7:06AM

@thisistheshow said:
    I would anticipate him staying retired. I'd prefer it too. But we'll see.........

100% agreed,I didn’t read too much into it but it definitely can raise some speculation

I haven't really kept up with any Pats moves over the past month but I did see that they're trying out QB Danny Etling at WR. When Edelman made the switch it kind of made sense seeing that he was basically a punt returner playing QB at the time but does Etling have the same type of speed & agility where this move might possibly work?
    Edelman finished his 3yrs at Kent State with 2483 career rushing yards with 1370yds in his senior season alone. Etling ran for 70 yards in 39 career college games. I'll be curious to see if BB puts him out there at WR in one of these preseason games coming up soon.

As much as I can’t wait for preseason I really can’t wait for the regular season 😩

Brady extended for two more years, plus a bit of a raise this year. Still team friendly from the looks of it, but gives him a salary the next two years more in line with the top paid QBs.

Anyone else catch the Pats game the other night? First impression was this team is pretty loaded on defense. From what I've read since this game is Jerod Mayo was calling the plays on defense and with no "named" defensive coordinator on the coaching staff it's gonna be interesting to see if Mayo takes over Brian Flores role. I loved the aggressiveness from the front 7 especially their LB core.
    Also I think with so many new faces on offense the WRs group as a whole looked promising. Obviously Brady wasn't throwing to them but it looked like every young player caught either a TD or a first down to keep a drive moving. I had never heard of Jakobi Meyers but he looked like a guy who has been in this offense for years not just some UDFA that snuck onto the training camp roster. Harris & Harry each made a big play and Barrios looked like the heir apparent for Edelman at the slot & punt returner positions. Hopefully this group keeps it going next week against the Titans.
    Stidham even looked pretty comfortable out there as well. I'll be curious to see if he has another game or two like this one would BB decide to go with Stidham as the backup over Hoyer thus opening up an extra roster spot for another position. With no Gronk and (likely) no Gordon I can see then keeping an extra Wr or TE maybe even a blocking TE with the uncertainty to the left side of the line right now.

I didn't see the game but your analysis matches what I have read. Sounds promising.

I liked what I saw but do t take much of it too serious, first pre season game but yea there were some nice things to take away from it. I liked seeing Berrious get some game action

Josh Gordon should be a go for week one!

@erikthredd said:
    Josh Gordon should be a go for week one!

Huge! 👍. Hopefully this guy just freaking buckled himself in and sticks with Football this season, GO JOSH!

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Josh Gordon has had this drug problem since his College days and hasn’t really done anything to overcome what is clearly addictive behavior. Everyone can pile on me because we’re in the era where marijuana is supposed to be a wonder drug, but in reality it is a psychotropic drug which alters brain function.

As a Browns fan I witnessed the talent Gordon has, but his marijuana use affected his ability to play and seemed especially noticeable during the week, at practice and in class-room meetings. It seemed inevitable that he would falter once traded and it hasn’t been a surprise.

I have hoped for years now that he’d get some help, but he evidently doesn’t believe he has a problem. Addiction is like that, denial and delusion are like that. I expect that the day will come when we read about some tragic outcome to Josh Gordon’s NFL career and life.

@Keets I think he has legit Mental Health issues and the Weed compounds it at times. Personally I don’t care what any grown man decides to do, however there are times I do feel a bit of sympathy before throwing out the “He is an idiot” card, Gordon is a guy I do have a TOUCH of sympathy for. Hopefully he has a Pro Bowl Season for the Pats though, I wonder if him missing out on that Super Bowl last season has motivated him?

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

If marijuana was Gordon's main issue things would be very different, I assume.

I hope he is successful.

edited August 21, 2019 7:03AM

Demaryius Thomas is off of PUP.

Edited to add: Our WR room is crowded, but will it be productive? I am leaning towards yes. I like where we stand and I am excited for the year.

@thisistheshow said:
    Demaryius Thomas is off of PUP.

Edited to add: Our WR room is crowded, but will it be productive? I am leaning towards yes. I like where we stand and I am excited for the year.

They dumped Imnan I think? I figured that was to make room for Gordon. D Thomas could be the man for Brady 👍

Yes, he's with the Chargers now.

I want DT to work out. We have brought so many veteran receivers in without payoff, I want it to work this time.

@thisistheshow said:

I want DT to work out. We have brought so many veteran receivers in without payoff, I want it to work this time.

Agreed, I think talent wise IF he has anything left in the tank it could be huge. Rookie, DT and Gordon? 3 big physical receivers plus Edelman and maybe Berrious??? Could be big time

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

Agreed, I think talent wise IF he has anything left in the tank it could be huge. Rookie, DT and Gordon? 3 big physical receivers plus Edelman and maybe Berrious??? Could be big time

I agree.

Could be...

Big Time

For some reason

I am just really

pumped

about this year!

I can't wait for Week 1