Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Rocketship! (19XGC) (Sold Out..,.)

Comments

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

I REALLY doubt they are sold out...no reason to be.

.....The packaging has a limit of 50k and are no way close to that
    .....They are regular coins that can be minted for the next nine months
    .....the packaging is all they need and that's not a biggie to produce.

They WILL be back

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jclovescoins said:
    Great, so they are actually sold out then? 🧐

Just the trickle effect... small quantities will be available at 0730 eastern until sold out. Similar to what happened with the Pds last year.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:

They WILL be back

I agree this makes no sense that are rapping it up ( close to sold out) but this is the scenario for close to sold out, back order is the scenario for production issues. I don't get it.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:

@BigA said:

They WILL be back

I agree this makes no sense that are rapping it up ( close to sold out) but this is the scenario for close to sold out, back order is the scenario for production issues. I don't get it.

Sales numbers will be out today through Sunday. We might get some clarity there.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:

They WILL be back

I suspect you're right, but the product status should have been set to back order. I bought off the chance someone (like some TV Coin huckster) bought 25K sets. A $10 entry fee isn't that expensive.

We'll know in less than 12 hours. :D

• Options
    edited March 12, 2019 5:46AM

Yup...the numbers later today will tell the story ...but....do you think the Mint really had 50k of these ready to go OTD in the first week or so? Or did they manufacture 20k+/- since they would be sold to kids over the next couple of years.....

No explanation why they went CA instead of backordered though.....but remember... it IS the Mint

Edit: AND..no explanation why they would ever put a mintage limit on something like this....no limit would mean total sales over the next year or so of MAYBE 12,000

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

But how can I submit these for “rocketship set MSPL” if I dont send them a sealed mint package? Given that this is the first availability of the Kennedy unc, I shouldn’t need to, right?

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@planetsteve said:
    But how can I submit these for “rocketship set MSPL” if I dont send them a sealed mint package? Given that this is the first availability of the Kennedy unc, I shouldn’t need to, right?

All you have to until the first strike deadline passes, is to mail in the cellophane sealed US Mint "Rocketship" product.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2019 7:10AM

@mas3387 said:
    PL Coin Numbers !!!

Now I see why these are going so quick from the Mint. That MSPL designation will be a must for Kennedy collectors.

The number they will need to go through to get a high grade MSPL will be very interesting and especially with a mintage of 50,000.

Edit: I already mailed a bunch to the children. Will need to hold back the SIL/BILs gifts. They’ll get something else.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have all 600 of mine for sale on the BST if anyone is interested. Very competitive pricing since they are going $25-$30 now on eBay...mine are around $17 each in bulk. :smile:

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@planetsteve said:

Yes when you send in the complete sealed Rocketship and you only request th grade the Kennedy coin PCGS will send back to you what is left. Your paperwork will reflect what your grading. They might count the unsealed coin in shipping fees. In my opinion of course.

• Options

Agree with @Gluggo. @planetsteve you will need to send the rocketship in the sealed plastic bag or else the coin will be graded as a 2019 Kennedy versus a rocketship Kennedy.

But, looking at the chart @mas3387 posted It looks like Rocketship Set (key word “set”) is for the grading of both the Kennedy and Sac if you want that designation on the slab(s)... which leads to another question. Is it a two-coin slab?

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

K. Cellophane wrapping I can handle. It won’t be hard to screen the coins thru them. I think I might like a proof Sac in the AMF labeled slab anyway.

Thanks to everyone who clued me in to the Mint method of apparently reconciling orders at 730 ET. But why this gotta be going down right after Daylight Saving Time kicks in? I struggled to log in this morning at six-dark-34 CDT - I think - and they were already back on CU. :'(;)

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Yup. congrats to all who bought!!!

Special Collectibles
    19XGC
    2019 ROCKETSHIP SET
    03/10/2019

• Options

@planetsteve

Keep trying at o’dark-thirty. Until soldout they maybe available for that first minute (or less) or so. There is also the shopping cart “trick”.

If you manage to see it available add the item to two (or more) shopping carts by having split instances of your browser. Then, if your not able to checkout because they went unavailable then the next day at o’dark-thirty go straight to checkout with the second shopping cart... do not close your browser if trying to do this.

The key here is that you have by-passed the adding to cart step and should be at the checkout stage on the next day. Beating everyone else who have to add to cart.

But, NOW, more people know. LOL!

Giving away all the “secrets!” B)

This may have been fixed since the Pd release.

Goodluck!

• Options
    edited March 12, 2019 8:57AM

@Hemispherical said:
    Agree with @Gluggo. @planetsteve you will need to send the rocketship in the sealed plastic bag or else the coin will be graded as a 2019 Kennedy versus a rocketship Kennedy.

But, looking at the chart @mas3387 posted It looks like Rocketship Set (key word “set”) is for the grading of both the Kennedy and Sac if you want that designation on the slab(s)... which leads to another question. Is it a two-coin slab?

You might be right about both coins a simple phone call to see if they can only grade 1 coin vs 2 coins and keep the Rocket Ship label could be answered.

As for the 2 coin slab that was a special request where I had to call up and ASK for the 2 coin slab. It was also subjective they were only allowing the dealers with this and for some reason they decided to ALLOW everybody this 2 coin slab. However shortly after they let this exception within days they STOPPED the rule and said NO More. I was able to convince the worker that I was waiting for the coin to deliver and he over ruled the decision to stop future access to the Dual Holder and pushed the order through. I also called when the grading was complete just to double check to make sure the dual holders were used. So thanks to PCGS for allowing me this Dual Holders.
    So remember to ask if you want this Dual Holder. I am going to look through mine and see if I have any " Proof Like " Kennedy canidates.

Anybody got any GOOD pictures of what constitutes a " Proof Like " Coin? Something to look at and compare before I send it in. TYIA

Here is the link to the dual holder, I do not have a copy of the picture at my work computor.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1012038/2019-apollo-11-50th-anniversary-commemoratives-19c-a-h-b49296-half-sets-sold-out/p30

• Options

@nurmaler said:

Special Collectibles
    19XGC
    2019 ROCKETSHIP SET
    03/10/2019

17825 (last week)

46762 (this week)

28937 In one week! It certainly looks like the word got out!

Still got crumbs left.

• Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

Sold a bunch of singles in ebay last night into this morning. Got one box of 25 sets left. I thought i was gonna get stuck with these when they didn't sell out after the HH limit removed. No one has ever gone broke taking a profit!

Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options

@Hemispherical said:

@nurmaler said:

Special Collectibles
    19XGC
    2019 ROCKETSHIP SET
    03/10/2019

17825 (last week)

46762 (this week)

Still got crumbs left.

Somebody big jumped in for a promotion.

• Options
    edited March 12, 2019 9:43AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hemispherical said:

@nurmaler said:

Special Collectibles
    19XGC
    2019 ROCKETSHIP SET
    03/10/2019

17825 (last week)

46762 (this week)

Still got crumbs left.

Wonder who... Has this hit the TV guy(s)?

Edit to answer my own question.

New! 2019 JFK Half Dollar and United States Mint Rocketship Coins
    $99.95 ;)

https://www.hsn.com/products/2019-jfk-half-dollar-and-united-states-mint-rocketship-/9054490

Edit to add more:

New! 2019 FDOI LE 890 JFK Half/Native American Dollar 2-Coin Rocketship Set

https://www.hsn.com/products/2019-fdoi-le-890-jfk-halfnative-american-dollar-2-coin-/9021050

• Options

@Hemispher

17825 (last week)

46762 (this week)

Still got crumbs left.

I'm guessing. There's no way that many single buyers jumped in. Someone may be releasing something in July and want to package this with it. Heck, could even be NASA wanting to sell them at their gift store. LOL.

• Options
    RINATIONALSRINATIONALS Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

I would guess one of the TV guys jumped in and since PCGS is designating them as 'Different' they will promote the heck out of them as the 'Rarest' JFK ever, only 50,000 minted just like they did with the 'Phantom' mintmarked silvel eagles a couple years ago. Pity the poor folks who fall for that BS, personally I don't think the services should participate that way but I don't make the rules

buying Rhode Island Nationals please email, PM or call 401-295-3000
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2019 9:45AM

@Hemispherical said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hemispherical said:

@nurmaler said:

Special Collectibles
    19XGC
    2019 ROCKETSHIP SET
    03/10/2019

17825 (last week)

46762 (this week)

Still got crumbs left.

Edit to answer my own question.

New! 2019 JFK Half Dollar and United States Mint Rocketship Coins
    $99.95 ;)

https://www.hsn.com/products/2019-jfk-half-dollar-and-united-states-mint-rocketship-/9054490

Nice find so he ( Mike Miesiak ) is selling them for $99.00 so we can guess the real values around $50.00 to $75.00 for a proof like. Not including the other coin for a $10.00 investment for 3 Kennedys to grade would be about $100.00 for PCGS or there about give or take a twenty dollar bill. Still don't know if its worth sending in. Maybe both in a dual holder might we worth it. I will have to see what PCGS will offer in a dual holder or not.

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2019 9:49AM

@Gluggo said:

Nice find so he ( Mike Miesiak ) is selling them for $99.00 so we can guess the real values around $50.00 to $75.00 for a proof like. Not including the other coin for a $10.00 investment for 3 Kennedys to grade would be about $100.00 for PCGS or there about give or take a twenty dollar bill. Still don't know if its worth sending in. Maybe both in a dual holder might we worth it. I will have to see what PCGS will offer in a dual holder or not.

That's ANACS. I'd be absolutely shocked if PCGS gives 69's out like candy on these. For the most part, the coins are beat up with numerous hits from the mint.

If they grade these as normal Mint State/Business Strike coins (with or without the PL designation), there will be very, very few... if any... in PCGS 69.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought 2 and will gladly sell them for $75 each :D

• Options

Huh. I was sure after buying 10 this morning, that the CU status was a mistake and 20K more would be available.

Shoulda bought all they had... :wink:

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you believe that HSN already sold out of the graded "limited edition" of 890 of these at $142.17 with shipping? Probably netted $100,000 profit in a day on these!

SOLD OUT
    2019 FDOI LE 890 JFK Half/Native American Dollar 2-Coin Rocketship Set
    665-506
    Be the first to write a review
    $129.95
    S&H: $12.22

Now working on the regular edition of them for the $99.95 plus shipping.

Absolute insanity how HSN can convince some people to buy anything.

• Options

@nurmaler said:

Special Collectibles
    19XGC
    2019 ROCKETSHIP SET
    03/10/2019

That's still around 3K short, considering how close to mintage sell-outs get these days.

I suspect we'll see some morning sales through the week...

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@nurmaler said:

Special Collectibles
    19XGC
    2019 ROCKETSHIP SET
    03/10/2019

That's still around 3K short, considering how close to mintage sell-outs get these days.

didn't it go to unavailable sometime Monday morning?

• Options

@nurmaler said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@nurmaler said:

Special Collectibles
    19XGC
    2019 ROCKETSHIP SET
    03/10/2019

Yes.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BigA said:

They WILL be back

I suspect you're right, but the product status should have been set to back order. I bought off the chance someone (like some TV Coin huckster) bought 25K sets. A $10 entry fee isn't that expensive.

We'll know in less than 12 hours. :D

That sound you hear is the sound of me patting myself on the back.

It's that broken clock syndrome. I can only be right one more time today... :D

• Options

@nurmaler said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@nurmaler said:

Special Collectibles
    19XGC
    2019 ROCKETSHIP SET
    03/10/2019

Think so. The sales data is from midnight Sunday (I assume it's the end of the day on Sunday), the figure should be close to what it was at sell-out.

• Options
    edited March 12, 2019 11:00AM

@Tetromibi said:

That's ANACS. I'd be absolutely shocked if PCGS gives 69's out like candy on these. For the most part, the coins are beat up with numerous hits from the mint.

If they grade these as normal Mint State/Business Strike coins (with or without the PL designation), there will be very, very few... if any... in PCGS 69.

You might be right but I will put mine under the scope and pick it the best and send in 2 or 3 sets and see if I can get the dual holders. Unless they turn out like the hard to grade coins a while back. I will be expecting more favorable grades for new coins. Unless you know something from factory or maybe work there it’s usually 1 or 2 that get stuck with a 68. 69’s are common and of corse 70’s are within reach. I just had 8 of the Apollo 11 half sets ALL grade 70’s. Now that I know was fortunate for me. Anyways personally and no disrespect but hope your way off for everybody’s sake. :)

Update on “ Dual Holder “.
    They will NOT be offering the Dual Holder’s at this time today Tuesday March 12th 9:58 Am Alaska Time!

We need to hit Wonder Dog up with this request I bet he could make it happen!!!! Ohhh Where Ohhh Where is my Wonder(dog)coin?????

• Options

Well I am happy my grandchild, nephew, and nieces will be getting their little rocketship (unmodified) gifts. Also, I sent in a seperate mailing envelope (because I forgot to put it with the rocket when taped up the shipping package) an AI coin which does not fit in the current hole but I am sure they can improvise. :)

Of course, it’ll be my luck that one them might have an elusive MS70PL Kennedy (did not know about the designation until after I had mailed the gifts so I did not check). Not to mention, I did not think these would sell so quick from the Mint.

Oh well.

Always having fun in this hobby of ours! B)

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2019 11:24AM

@Gluggo said:

@Tetromibi said:

You might be right but I will put mine under the scope and pick it the best and send in 2 or 3 sets and see if I can get the dual holders. Unless they turn out like the hard to grade coins a while back. I will be expecting more favorable grades for new coins. Unless you know something from factory or maybe work there it’s usually 1 or 2 that get stuck with a 68. 69’s are common and of corse 70’s are within reach. I just had 8 of the Apollo 11 half sets ALL grade 70’s. Now that I know was fortunate for me. Anyways personally and no disrespect but hope your way off for everybody’s sake. :)

They will NOT be offering the Dual Holder’s at this time today Tuesday March 12th 9:58 Am Alaska Time!

We need to hit Wonder Dog up with this request I bet he could make it happen!!!! Ohhh Where Ohhh Where is my Wonder(dog)coin?????

These aren't commemoratives like the Apollo set. They're standard uncirculated MS coins from the Denver mint. There hasn't been a D-mint Kennedy graded in 68 since 2015. In 2018, there were only 18 that managed to even grade 67.

That being said, I'm confident with as much interest as there is in these that significantly more will be submitted this year and 68's won't be out of the question. Best of luck! Hope you find one.

I don't think finding a 70 is a reasonable expectation for most, and if it's found...moon money(pun intended). Time will tell...

Also, the PL designation isn't even something new. NGC has been doing it for a while. Plenty of business strike coins deserve it. There's a subset of collectors that actively seek them out. The only new thing is PCGS finally allowing the designation for these.

• Options

Tetromibi thank you for that explaination. I dont normally collect the Kennedys only in the last month did I start so I really have no idea of what or how those grade. So I will be VERY picky when selecting mine. Once I am under the Microscope I should be able to see any flaws who knows maybe I wont send any in if there not going to grade well. But thank you and I stand corrected as you no doubt know the Kennedy saga of the grade of coins Past! o:) Trying to make it sound like the Christmas song.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2019 11:33AM

I have 5 rockets in my closet unopened, what to do, what to do?

If I open them, they'll be normal strikes.
    If I flip 'em on Ebay they'll be PL70s.
    If I get them graded I'll get 63s and no PL..... :#

Had 50 in the cart this morning, hit the PLACE ORDER TAB and they were gone. They weren't up long.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

As a way to cheap publicity, wouldn't it be cool if those People offered something really good at the 7:30 bonus hour? Something like a 1955 DDO Lincoln, a 1913 Buffalo Nickel, a roll of 1972 Lincolns........ heck, even a couple Ike Dollars, Blue, Brown, or plain old MS.

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

You can open them and still get FS if you send them in before the cutoff date (usually 30 days after release).

It is only after the cutoff day that they must be in the sealed Mint shipping boxes for FS.

• Options

Just an FYI. Check BST for transactions for for this set. :)

• Options

Tetromibi you were right I dashed home and took a quick look and they have lots of marks on them. One I can even call scare face right over the cheek. I found 2 that look acceptable for possible sending off. Thank you for that tip makes me look even harder. Now if I only had a 100 of these to look over! :D

• Options

@Tetromibi said:

@Gluggo said:

@Tetromibi said:

These aren't commemoratives like the Apollo set. They're standard uncirculated MS coins from the Denver mint. There hasn't been a D-mint Kennedy graded in 68 since 2015. In 2018, there were only 18 that managed to even grade 67.

Yep. MS/BS coins are always a tough grade.

But if you think about it, why are we seeing proof like surfaces? Because they're using a new die(s). A modern die is good for what, 200-250K strikes? 50K is a drop in the bucket, and if they used multiple machines, that's multiple minty-fresh dies. These could be real first strikes.

So I'm thinking we might actually see some high-grade coins. (But then too, it's Denver, and they weren't the best before MJ became legal... :D )

Also, the PL designation isn't even something new. NGC has been doing it for a while. Plenty of business strike coins deserve it. There's a subset of collectors that actively seek them out. The only new thing is PCGS finally allowing the designation for these.

PCGS drags it out every once in a while. The holy grail of the 2009 High Relief was a PL designation. (Both here and ATS...)

• Options

I like that... “But then too, it's Denver, and they weren't the best before MJ became legal... :D@BackroadJunkie.

LOL :D

• Options

I can't believe they actually sold out....I bought a small bunch but never thought they would amount to anything. Now i am stuck in a vacay home with no printer to print forms.....might have to figure this one out

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least for nickels, my experience has seen Denver issues looking Proof like quite often. They usually produce a product of superior quality compared to the Philadelphia mint. I thought Denver Proof like Coins are the norm... they seem to grade higher and cost less slabbed than P counterparts.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2019 3:08PM

Wow another banner morning sales-frenzy. I'm shocked to see these nearly at 48k already!! WHATTT?

I looked at about 40 sets yesterday and are certainly prooflike -- but are rather scarred up-close. I don't think I saw any MS69 worthy. Maybe not even 68. Are they still worth submitting in 67?

Best of luck to @wondercoin in his hunt! Please post back if you succeed!!

So the Kennedy's can go to our host for possible PL designation. Using the quarterly special, is that for only 4 sets, or can it be multiples of 4 sets?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

@Akbeez said:

So the Kennedy's can go to our host for possible PL designation. Using the quarterly special, is that for only 4 sets, or can it be multiples of 4 sets?

Multiple of 4 coins with a Prez (Kennedy, yes; but Sac does not have a Prez unless I am missing something).

4 coins for the price of 3 coins.

8 coins for the price of 6 coins.

Etc.

Until you run out of $. :D;):)

• Options
    edited March 12, 2019 5:32PM

@Bullsitter said:
    I have 5 rockets in my closet unopened, what to do, what to do?

If I flip 'em on Ebay they'll be PL70s.
    If I get them graded I'll get 63s and no PL..... :#

>

I do not believe you loose your First Strike Designations until 30 days go by. After that then you need to keep them in the unopened original box from the mint. However Tetromibi was 100% right you need to look at each one you might not have one worth grading. At least if you cant get 70 to me its not worth it. I think I have 2 sets which could be 70's and maybe the 3rd but not sure if I want to take the chance on the 3rd one. Your pretty lucky Chief you might have all 5 70's right there in your hands. These actually SUCK with all their scare's in the coins. I must have at least 5 Scar Face's! Lots of little nicks and scratches. I would never of believed it till I opened all my boxes what the heck I wont be sending them if I cannot get a 70. Am I being to hard on myself I don't think so. Its 70 or nothing for me but I guess a 69 is good in this series. I just cant stomach that! :(

Starting the paperwork now!

• Options
    jabbajabba Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just can’t decide if it’s worth submitting and hope for good grades or just flip them. It’s just so much money to grade them and if you don’t get 70s then you can’t make that money back
    What you guys going to do?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file