Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@jmski52 said:
    Nice tape job! What kind of tape is that? :)

>

Kraft Paper Tape,,,,, been using it on Registered packages for years. Self adhesive,,,,,,,, no water needed.
    https://www.amazon.com/Shurtape-FP-96-General-Purpose-Packaging/dp/B000QEBF0E/ref=pd_sim_op_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Z93RKTJY642EKN9PF58

so is this a registered package you are sending out? or as a medium flat box rate?

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Commemoratives
    19CA
    2019 APOLLO 11 GOLD PROOF
    01/27/2019

Commemoratives
    19CB
    2019 APOLLO 11 GOLD UNC
    01/27/2019

Commemoratives
    19CC
    2019 APOLLO 11 SILVER PROOF
    01/27/2019

Commemoratives
    19CD
    2019 APOLLO 11 SILVER UNC
    01/27/2019

Commemoratives
    19CE
    2019 APOLLO 11 CLAD PROOF
    01/27/2019

Commemoratives
    19CF
    2019 APOLLO 11 HALF DOLLAR SPECIAL SET
    01/27/2019

Commemoratives
    19CG
    2019 APOLLO 11 CLAD UNC
    01/27/2019

Commemoratives
    19CH
    2019 APOLLO 11 SILVER PROOF 5 OZ
    01/27/2019

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 8:24AM

Yes, a registered package as a medium flat rate.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

So... the half-dollar set is 70% sold with a unique(?) Kennedy in it. That looks to me like the winningest so far. All the other numbers are in line with what’s been posted here (thanks all!), and it seems to me that all the other coins are, for now, in the “buy them if you like them” category.

Of course I forget the engraving, just like I did on launch day. kicks self

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    FYI .. BEP Print Mintage Limit: 8000 not 7k

Boy, it's a good thing I don't do this for a living... :wink:

Both posts corrected... Thanks...

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@OPA said:
    FYI .. BEP Print Mintage Limit: 8000 not 7k

Boy, it's a good thing I don't do this for a living... :wink:

I thought this was your j.o.b? :)

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool pics. Thanks for posting. That thing is a beast

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    I actually sat down and designed the table... Note this will be updated in post 3 of this thread...

Latest sales figures from the Mint's sales figures.

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives
    DateSoldIncreaseSoldIncreaseSoldIncreaseComment
    Gold$5 Gold Proof (19CA)$5 Gold Unc (19CB)BEP Print: Mission (B49296)
    1/25/201915,5447,7818,000First day sales
    1/27/201919,81219,8129,0669,0668,000*8,000Gold Price: $418.75/$408.75
    Silver$1 Silver Proof (19CC)$1 Silver Unc (19CD)$1 5oz Silver Proof (19CH)
    1/25/201986,07335,38051,271First day sales
    1/27/2019105,136105,13638,72838,72860,48960,4895oz on backorder
    Clad50¢ Clad Proof (19CE)50¢ Clad Unc (19CG)50¢ Proof Half Set (19CF)
    1/25/201929,56020,87749,825First day sales
    1/27/201934,43034,43024,22024,22069,15569,155

*No reported number for the print. If it did sell out, then the printage is 7K... (Edit: It is 8K...)

Thank you. Your table has all the information in easy to understand form. Very nice.

• Options

@MilesWaits said:
    Cool pics. Thanks for posting. That thing is a beast

my hands are not small....it is a beast.....I will take one of out of the capsules tonight to inspect closer and take a few more pics.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

I predict that the 5 oz pucks will be sold out(currently unavailable) by 2/15.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

That's just raw for the the 5 oz that he is selling at that price tonight....but he says to check out the HSN website for the NGC 70's tomorrow Monday around 10 am for the graded 5 oz. That NGC holder looked really cool for the 5 oz as well.

**It is TUE, Jan 29. Have you seen the NGC 70's on HSN.com as promised?
    I haven't.

Here we go again with HSN promoting another overpriced 5-ounce Apollo coin!

HSN said "We will have these coins (2019 certified proof 70 NGC moon core Apollo 5oz) on HSN.com on Monday and they will be significantly more than $599)
    They didn't have them on HSN.com on Monday!

Is this another promotional statement over-hyping this already overpriced coin? Or is it just another statement to promote the coin collector show on HSN FEB 5, 2019?

I wonder how many hundreds of dollars more will be charged for packaging?

I guess I will have to wait until Feb 5 to find out.**

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody get this on their updates of their packages; January 25th and no updates. I have 2 of those messages on 2 different packages. Are they lost already before they hit USPS?

January 25th
    Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item
    PFS - US
    MEMPHIS ,TN
    Priority Mail®--
    USPS Tracking®

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    Anybody get this on their updates of their packages; January 25th and no updates. I have 2 of those messages on 2 different packages. Are they lost already before they hit USPS?

January 25th
    PFS - US
    MEMPHIS ,TN
    Priority Mail®--
    USPS Tracking®

Having similar issue with UPS for opening day order. UPS states label generated and UPS is awaiting package since the 25th.

Called the mint 800 today.

They said they are sorry and it should ship soon... maybe today or tomorrow. Maybe. But they will send an email. :o

BTW, the second day Apollo clad order and a separate Presidential medal order has shipped and is enroute via Smart and one has already been handed off to USPS for final leg.

Need to find that song....

Don’t worry, be Happy!

It will all come out good! :)

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you hemispherical good information. :)

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

When is the next time they announce the sales amount

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got my pucks today.... but I had to ship them to my buyer without getting to see them :( Oh well, at least I made a little off them. If they get below issue price I may pick one up to keep.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alohagary said:

Today Go here on Tuesdays afternoon. https://usmint.gov/about/production-sales-figures/cumulative-sales

@Hemispherical said:

@Gluggo said:

January 25th
    PFS - US
    MEMPHIS ,TN
    Priority Mail®--
    USPS Tracking®

Having similar issue with UPS for opening day order. UPS states label generated and UPS is awaiting package since the 25th.

Called the mint 800 today.

They said they are sorry and it should ship soon... maybe today or tomorrow. Maybe. But they will send an email. :o

BTW, the second day Apollo clad order and a separate Presidential medal order has shipped and is enroute via Smart and one has already been handed off to USPS for final leg.

Need to find that song....

Don’t worry, be Happy!

It will all come out good! :)

The fulfillment company, PFSweb, generates the label and alerts the carrier to pick them up. If you see "label generated" but nothing at Informed Delivery, it could be the PO hasn't been notified or hasn't picked the up yet. Hang tight. The process is working. Imagine packing and shipping thousands of packages in a day. Glad it's not my job.

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

@alohagary said:

Today Go here on Tuesdays afternoon. https://usmint.gov/about/production-sales-figures/cumulative-sales

Today's data was actually released yesterday. The sales figures I posted are for last Sunday.

That said, I'm still waiting for the Mint to release the data on how much the Apollo 11 commems will cost...

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 12:49PM

Can someone help confirm if the Kennedy half is considered a Kennedy clad half dollar (with Apollo background) for registry sets, or is it considered a commemorative coin of the Apollo set with a Kennedy on the obverse?

I collect modern commemoratives, and silver Kennedy's, but not any clads, unless they are considered commemoratives.

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Reminder, for those just receiving their coins (5oz silver / Gold) and thinking about returning them. PM me.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alohagary said:

Every Tuesday

• Options

I knew it would come out good. Just got notified that my first day order with the PMs is in transit.

25 Jan - Label created

29 Jan - In transit

Should be here soon! I will soon get to admire these coins, in hand, instead of looking in awe at everyone elses pics. :)

As a side note I will be sending some of the clads (in the second day order) off as Valentine gifts to my kids.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    Can someone help confirm if the Kennedy half is considered a Kennedy clad half dollar (with Apollo background) for registry sets, or is it considered a commemorative coin of the Apollo set with a Kennedy on the obverse?

I collect modern commemoratives, and silver Kennedy's, but not any clads, unless they are considered commemoratives.

Based upon the mint’s description it is a commemorative:

“Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Proof Half Dollar Set
    SAN FRANCISCO (S)
    Commemorative Coin Program”

“The United States Mint is proud to present the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Program to celebrate the first manned Moon landing on July 20, 1969, and the efforts of the United States space program leading up to this historic event. All coins share common designs and are curved.

The set includes one Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Proof Half Dollar and one Kennedy Enhanced Reverse Proof Half Dollar to commemorate the enduring relationship between President Kennedy and the American space program. This product is limited to 100,000 units.”

https://catalog.usmint.gov/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-2019-proof-half-dollar-set-19CF.html

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 3:08PM

@nurmaler said:
    Reminder, for those just receiving their coins (5oz silver / Gold) and thinking about returning them. PM me.

PM send. I might know someone whom is extremely happy with his 5 oz puck and thus might be negligenting its other golden siblings.

• Options
    edited January 29, 2019 4:31PM

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Looks like a typo on the back of the box for the Apollo/Kennedy set on the Mint’s site (last line in the white rectangle). The reverse designer/engraver is Frank Gasparro.

The Mint’s pic of the reverse of the Kennedy has FG.

(snipped image)

How does the Mint fix this with all those already shipped and those pending shipment? Do they fix this?

Anyone with the set, please post a pic.

AAAAAAAnnnd they're off!

From Coin World:
    Apollo 11 half dollar set packaging contains factual error

“Approximately 70,000 units were shipped before the error was discovered,” according to a statement released by the U.S. Mint the afternoon of Jan. 29. “Plans to reprint sleeves with the correct information are underway. Instructions for ordering corrected sleeves will be made available at a later date. We expect a delay in the shipping of remaining Half Dollar Set orders. Those orders will begin shipping as soon as the corrected packaging is on hand.”

This should be fun...

Thanks for news @BackroadJunkie!

I agree, this will be fun... I am...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

...that I ordered some before the fix.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    If you received packaging with the error and can't wait for new packaging to be mailed to you, simply follow these easy instructions. 1) With a marker, blacken out GILROY. 2) Then simply pen in the name FRANK.

And Roberts and Gasparro...

• Options
    jabbajabba Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Looks like a typo on the back of the box for the Apollo/Kennedy set on the Mint’s site (last line in the white rectangle). The reverse designer/engraver is Frank Gasparro.

The Mint’s pic of the reverse of the Kennedy has FG.

(snipped image)

How does the Mint fix this with all those already shipped and those pending shipment? Do they fix this?

Anyone with the set, please post a pic.

AAAAAAAnnnd they're off!

From Coin World:
    Apollo 11 half dollar set packaging contains factual error

“Approximately 70,000 units were shipped before the error was discovered,” according to a statement released by the U.S. Mint the afternoon of Jan. 29. “Plans to reprint sleeves with the correct information are underway. Instructions for ordering corrected sleeves will be made available at a later date. We expect a delay in the shipping of remaining Half Dollar Set orders. Those orders will begin shipping as soon as the corrected packaging is on hand.”

This should be fun...

Glad mine has already shipped 😊

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possible rare error! Lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

And an awesome pic @Bullsitter!

• Options

@RichR said:
    Pucks arrived today...all very nice and very pleased with condition...
    ....but...am I the only person who thinks some kind of logo should have been placed on the cover of the very large velvet presentation case...like the Apollo 11 mission logo...the NASA meatball logo...or at least the Mint eagle?

Anyone else agree?

I can not agree or disagree since I have not received them, yet. Pic?

• Options
    jabbajabba Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    And I still got nuthin'. Dollars haven't even shipped yet. They better not backorder the two half sets in that order.

At least my brown box order of 2 half sets are on the way. Oh, my Jefferson Medal (separate order) is scheduled to arrive next month the same day as the half sets.

On the brighter side, getting the product late means you don't have to post pictures! :D

I don’t think they are shipping any of the halves 2pc set until the cover error has been fixed

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Possible rare error! Lol..

Yes! Only 70% of the sets have the error!

I will have to go look on ebay to see if anyone's trying to sell a set featuring this rare error...

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I need to buy some more Kennedy sets so I will have examples of both. :*

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Received via UPS my gold unc and proof coins order and my 5 5 oz. pucks order, too. Keeping them seled for now. My half dollar sets are in transit via Fed Ex Smart Post and due to arrive on Friday.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:
    Now I need to buy some more Kennedy sets so I will have examples of both. :*

likewise.....ordered a "handful" more. My first batch is in the mail & not subject to a recall. Funny thing, no blurb about a "back order" for the sets that I just purchased!!!!

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    “Plans to reprint sleeves with the correct information are underway. Instructions for ordering corrected sleeves will be made available at a later date.”

Hoping the corrected sleeves will be free and with free shipping.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 9:02PM

This is a 25th Anniversary original oil painting. The footprint is similar to the coin. However I think a few of the other features on the painting would have been helpful additions and the foot could have been smaller on the coin.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

7Jaguars ✭✭✭✭A pet peeve: PLEASE stop referring to the One Dollar Coin as a one ouncer! It is barely 3/4 ounce of silver...

Not so sure of your math...in my basic math it come out to about 85%

Composition: 99.9% Silver
    Overall Height: 0.243 inch
    Weight: 26.730 grams

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    7Jaguars ✭✭✭✭A pet peeve: PLEASE stop referring to the One Dollar Coin as a one ouncer! It is barely 3/4 ounce of silver...

Not so sure of your math...in my basic math it come out to about 85%

Composition: 99.9% Silver
    Overall Height: 0.243 inch
    Weight: 26.730 grams

Yes they are ~0.86 troy ounces of fine silver. They have been repeated referred to as "1 oz" pieces though.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, I had no idea it was not an ounce of silver. I thought most modern silver commems were... are they not? I'm seriously surprised by this, lol.

• Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    Wow, I had no idea it was not an ounce of silver. I thought most modern silver commems were... are they not? I'm seriously surprised by this, lol.

I've heard it's called "triple 9 fine" silver with very few impurities.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file