Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CCC2010 said:
    Do we call this a just a commemorative and not a coin or do we consider this also a coin?

They are commemorative coins. Also, NCLT - "non-circulating legal tender".

With the domed shape, though, you can't even argue that they could circulate if desired. Lots of older commem half dollars, for example, have made it into circulation through coin counting machines, etc., but that is not possible with these.

• CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

View from Neil Armstrong's helmet

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    My single puck order just flipped from "backorder" to "processing"...

This is my USM063198xx order @ 12:08.

Then my lone order, USM063226xx, should flip someday soon. :)

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2019 6:10PM

@PipestonePete said:
    Yes, and it's too bad that there are no "classic" shots of Neil on the moon. This is the best photograph of Neil on the lunar surface.

Agree, Aldrin did a pano at AS11-40-5886 that captured Armstrong. Photos from the NASA archives: https://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11_eva_thumbs.html

Cameras/film (Hasselblad) equipment used during the Apollo 11 missions: https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11-hass.html

Apollo 11 Multimedia Library Start Page: https://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/images11.html

I am kind of interested in the past, present, and future of the Space program.

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:
    I just got the half dollar set.

Did you just order the half set, or do you have it in hand?

If the latter, can you post some pics of the Kennedy? The Mint's pics suck... :smile:

Just ordered it I will get it in hand in 1-2 weeks.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2019 12:41AM

@illini420 said:
    Ordered the gold proof for myself, that's a keeper.

I don't agree with using the Mint's return policy as a hedge against a possible loss in the aftermarket
    :+1:

I believe the Mint has a NEW, STRICT, UNFORGIVING, PUNISHING return policy that will STOP the endless returns DEAD in it’s tracks.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two of my orders shipped. (The gold PR/MS and 2 pucks in one, the other has two half-sets.)

The silver and halves still hasn't shipped. (Of course, the order with one puck one is backordered.)

At least we're making progress.... :D

@JBK said:

@CCC2010 said:
    Do we call this a just a commemorative and not a coin or do we consider this also a coin?

They are commemorative coins. Also, NCLT - "non-circulating legal tender".

With the domed shape, though, you can't even argue that they could circulate if desired. Lots of older commem half dollars, for example, have made it into circulation through coin counting machines, etc., but that is not possible with these.

More than that, they were authorized by an act of Congress as a coin.

That makes it official. :smile:

edited January 26, 2019 12:31AM

@CCC2010 said:

I have a 10 litho set from NASA (11"x14" plates), probably bought close to the Apollo 11 event.

This image is a crop of one of those images.

(I will try to find a way to scan them in...)

• levinlllevinll Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

How do you cancel an item that shows a status of backorder ?

@levinll said:
    How do you cancel an item that shows a status of backorder ?

You will have to call the Mint. Their number is under the customer service tab on the Mint website.

@Gluggo said:

@illini420 said:
    Ordered the gold proof for myself, that's a keeper.

I don't agree with using the Mint's return policy as a hedge against a possible loss in the aftermarket
    :+1:

I believe the Mint has a NEW, STRICT, UNFORGIVING, PUNISHING return policy that will STOP the endless returns DEAD in it’s tracks.

I swear, if I didn't start these threads, I'd never be able to find them...

US Mint to punish excessive returns

edited January 26, 2019 6:33AM

Apollo first day order (PMs and set), shipping label generated! :) Edit: Just need to be home when they are going to be delivered.

Apollo second day order (clads) is processing.

The Print (USS1247xxxx)... still back order.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Apollo first day order (PMs and set), shipping label generated! :) Edit: Just need to be home when they are going to be delivered.

That's why post office boxes are so nice to have.

thefinn
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feel happy Got all and max amounts. Excited they look cool. Now the wait for shipped notice.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2019 7:04AM

I bought one 5 oz, one Kennedy set, one proof clad, one uncirculated clad, one silver proof and one uncirculated silver. Not for flipping. I know long term these will probably lose value, but want them for my collection.

I guess they will do some autographed ones with some astronauts. I would think any astronaut would do, not just the Apollo ones if any are still alive.

My 5 ouncer and the Kennedy Set just shipped yesterday.

• MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking I'd jump on these at the noon opening but the dealer I've sold to said he wasn't interested in them so I held off. Looks like he was right for now. I like the design and will pick up a couple of them for my personal collection. Maybe the mint got it right this time if they were trying to make sure the collectors really got a shot before the flippers.

Jim

Looks like a typo on the back of the box for the Apollo/Kennedy set on the Mint’s site (last line in the white rectangle). The reverse designer/engraver is Frank Gasparro.

The Mint’s pic of the reverse of the Kennedy has FG.

How does the Mint fix this with all those already shipped and those pending shipment? Do they fix this?

Anyone with the set, please post a pic.

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

wow! Good catch. So , is this considered an error??? :o

• CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

Whats going on again? The mint engraver/designer is Frank Gasparro thus FG so isn't that his initials?

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

@CCC2010 said:
    Whats going on again? The mint engraver/designer is Frank Gasparro thus FG so isn't that his initials?

The mistake is on the printed box, not the coin itself

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Order Placed: 01/24/19
    Order Status: SHIPPED
    Order Number: USM063147XX

YES... :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Looks like a typo on the back of the box for the Apollo/Kennedy set on the Mint’s site (last line in the white rectangle). The reverse designer/engraver is Frank Gasparro.

The Mint’s pic of the reverse of the Kennedy has FG.

How does the Mint fix this with all those already shipped and those pending shipment? Do they fix this?

Anyone with the set, please post a pic.

https://usacoinbook.com/encyclopedia/coin-designers/gilroy-roberts/

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2019 10:02AM

I need to trade mine for a ready PF70 :)

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@Hemispherical said:

Mine are coming UPS. I have already directed a HOLD at UPS location so I can pick them up after work on Tuesday. :)

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

2019 Apollo 11 50th Commem Silver Dollar Proof Coin NGC PF70 ER PRESALE SKU56543PRESALE - EXPECTED SHIPPING 02/25/2019 | MCM $179.00

Why would anyone offer anything like this?

Of course they were snatched up fast. I see several PCGS 70's now offered at around $630.00. That's what I want!

The slab.... not so crazy about the cost though.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

@thefinn said:

@Hemispherical said:

Mine are coming UPS. I have already directed a HOLD at UPS location so I can pick them up after work on Tuesday. :)

I did that for a few of the palladiums last year, and UPS decided to return them to the mint instead of hold them :( That cost me a good chunk of change!

• jabbajabba Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FullStrike said:
    2019 Apollo 11 50th Commem Silver Dollar Proof Coin NGC PF70 ER PRESALE SKU56543PRESALE - EXPECTED SHIPPING 02/25/2019 | MCM $179.00

Of course they were snatched up fast. I see several PCGS 70's now offered at around $630.00. That's what I want!

The slab.... not so crazy about the cost though.

I picked up a couple of extra proofs to submit I hope to get PCGS special label and pray for proof 70 I don’t see how someone has the stones to pre sell something like that

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FullStrike said:

Are you confusing the 1oz with the 5 oz? The are NGC 70 1 oz $ coins for as low as $145 pre sale on ebay

@jwitten said:

@VanHalen said:

@thefinn said:

@Hemispherical said:

I did that for a few of the palladiums last year, and UPS decided to return them to the mint instead of hold them :( That cost me a good chunk of change!

UPS should have covered your expenses if you had a documented HOLD at UPS location request.

@VanHalen said:

@jwitten said:

@VanHalen said:

@thefinn said:

@Hemispherical said:

UPS should have covered your expenses if you had a documented HOLD at UPS location request.

I think he's referring to the lost revenue from selling the coin, not any out of pocket costs

@jmlanzaf said:

@FullStrike said:

Are you confusing the 1oz with the 5 oz? The are NGC 70 1 oz $ coins for as low as $145 pre sale on ebay

There are no 1 oz coins. The .999 silver dollar coin is ~0.86 oz.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

My order for both half's and both $1 is still processing. I see quite a few forum members are in this same boat. Odd don't you think?
    My order for the gold and Kennedy set shipped with the 5oz. "Back Ordered". Just like lots of others here.

@VanHalen said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@FullStrike said:

There are no 1 oz coins. The .999 silver dollar coin is ~0.86 oz.

Yes. But you know what I mean. It's not the 5 oz. So that price isn't exactly a bargain

• santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

UPS says my gold proof should be here Monday.

• jabbajabba Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got USM06311xxx just a few $1 silver proofs and a couple of the two coin covers and they are shipped arrive on 2/1 then I got to turn a few proofs around to PCGS
    I want to get the special label do you think it’s worth getting the First Strikes designation it’s a lot of extra $$

• goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

what's the latest numbers now that HH was lifted ?

@goldbuffalo said:

May not know till Tuesday. @Nurmaler can see the number when it's under 20,000

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

@goldbuffalo said:

I’m sure everything is sold out by now.

Don't quote me on that.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

@goldbuffalo said:

I’m sure everything is sold out by now.

For sure :)

• ADGADG Posts: 436 ✭✭✭

@CCC2010 said:

That's Aldrin's helmet. Armstrong took the picture!?!

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

@Kudbegud said:
    My order for both half's and both $1 is still processing. I see quite a few forum members are in this same boat. Odd don't you think?
    My order for the gold and Kennedy set shipped with the 5oz. "Back Ordered". Just like lots of others here.

Gold and >$300 are technically expedited orders.

Was your silver order >$300? Mine wasn't, though my 2 half sets did ship, though there was only one product type in the box...

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

@jwitten said:

@VanHalen said:

@thefinn said:

@Hemispherical said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@VanHalen said:

@jwitten said:

@VanHalen said:

@thefinn said:

@Hemispherical said:

I think he's referring to the lost revenue from selling the coin, not any out of pocket costs

Correct, the mint refunded my money, but I was not able to profit on them like I would have if they were delivered.

• nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@nurmaler said:
    If anyone has live 5oz silver orders (not backordered) and is thinking about canceling or returning, message me, I'd buy for cost + a tad.

"tad" = "ton a dollars" ? :D

Good option for anyone who got in before the backorder but is having cold feet.

I agree ;-)

• nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

only ~200 gold proofs left in stock, & ~900 gold unc. (they still have 15k and 5k "in backorder" respectively).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file