Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Month of January Acquisitions....what is so special to kick off the year?

Comments

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019 1:20PM

Double mail day! First is another Jack Eichel rookie 1/1 for the PC. 2015 UD Black Diamond Quad Diamond Relics. This brings me down to only 1 more of his rookie 1/1s to get that I want. I still have never seen or even heard mentioned that it was pulled.

Second is a 2018 Rasmus Dahlin Young Guns High Gloss that I just got back from PSA. I really thought this had a shot at 10. Because of this I think sometime in the future I will be sending it in for a bump.

Kevin

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019 4:52PM

My latest pickup arrived this week. Another Yankee rookie for me of an absolute, hands down, no doubt, has his own thread active right now and hasn’t played in 30 years type of legendary pinstriped slugger. And while he’s depicted here in the uniform of another team, no Yankee fan alive can have a complete collection of legendary Bronx Bomber rookies without Mr. October. As for the card itself, I had to consider the bad tilt and centering (not to mention widespread trimming) issues that plague the set when selecting and I have been looking a long time. Long ago I figured out that you should buy the card once. Sharp cornered, no tilt, well centered ‘69s are the 9s and 10s so you have to have thousands or you have to concede. I’ve always been ok conceding when it’s the right combination of all the factors that matter to me. For me, it was the right balance of everything where I thought I should jump - really nice corners, vivid color, crisp image and well priced. And while I know it shouldn’t matter, I’d be lying if I didn’t mention that the new flip was a factor.

1969 Topps #260 Reggie Jackson

Note: the white blemish in the purple is not on the card. I had just cleaned the glass and that little particle has since been removed :smile: )

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• vols1vols1 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019 7:23PM

Another oddball pickup. It's the original rubber molds they used make the 1990 baseball coins. A couple of players switched teams like Joe Carter and the mold has Indians logo, but the released coin was for the Padres. Same for Langston, the mold has Expos but the coin has Angels logo. Interestingly there was a mold for M's Ken Griffey Jr in 1989, but that coins was never released.

• dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

sending these to PSA shortly. 2017 Topps Aaron Judge Gold /2018 and Purple Toys R Us Parallels.

• magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    UD was on a great run with some amazing pictures... One of my favorite action shots.

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slum22 Great call one the Marner. Mathews seems like the obvious choice on that team but Marner being a Canadian in that market who still hasn't reached his full potential could be the fan favorite when it's all said and done.

Kevin

• rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭

Added this during the eBay bucks promotion:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:
    Double mail day! First is another Jack Eichel rookie 1/1 for the PC. 2015 UD Black Diamond Quad Diamond Relics. This brings me down to only 1 more of his rookie 1/1s to get that I want. I still have never seen or even heard mentioned that it was pulled.

Second is a 2018 Rasmus Dahlin Young Guns High Gloss that I just got back from PSA. I really thought this had a shot at 10. Because of this I think sometime in the future I will be sending it in for a bump.

That high gloss Dahlin is so dope. I have a regular YG out to PSA right now that I have my fingers crossed on a 10 for. Any Captain Jack 1 of 1 is awesome, and that example is particularly gorgeous.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

My goal is to have all the major RCs in 98 SP in a 10. Next up: Raef Lafrentz Dirk

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

Picked up 3 of these 4 on BIN right before OT started, bought the Ultra yesterday on a good BIN price at the time, even better after tonight:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:
    @slum22 Great call one the Marner. Mathews seems like the obvious choice on that team but Marner being a Canadian in that market who still hasn't reached his full potential could be the fan favorite when it's all said and done.

Thanks. Yes, I was happy to snag the Marner at a fair BIN price on a 15% coupon day! I wish it was in the lighthouse flip like the McDavid, but I couldn't pass this up for under $140. I certainly like his career trajectory so far. If he and Matthews can turn Toronto into a consistent contender, the sky's the limit.

Steve

@han_soto said:

Isnt there supposed to be a lil tucked in shirt showing above the fans belt, top right corner of these judges?

lol you saw that thread too? it depends on the centering of the card. sometimes the image shows higher up above the belt. my guess is that card that was proved trimmed was slightly off center top to bottom, which revealed more of the image up top. here are all of mine, both paper and chrome. all look he same, no shirt shown. the three raw base paper cards are ones I just pulled out of fresh Series 1 Topps Toys R Us packs the other day. look at the last pic of the last raw card. its noticeably more OC top to bottom than the other two. less of the hand is showing up top and theres more space on the bottom.

@han_soto said:
    I did! But worded and left certain names and faces out because....well you know why, right? Esp with the recent 4 round corners incident.

That guy does amazing working uncovering all that stuff. I like the fact that he really only published the pretty much 100% concrete stuff. I’d love to see what the list looks like that he knows is greyish but simply doesnt have the back up pics to show before/after. I bet it’s scary.

Well I hope at least my scans showed that not all of these are sketchy if there is or isn’t a shirt showing and it’s totally up to the centering.

@han_soto said:
    For sure. I certainly wasnt implying your’s were trimmed either. If I recall correctly that judge was a vintage stock so completely different sheet and set up all the way around.

yup vintage stock

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 11:04AM

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

UFFDAH’s budget for cards has to rival the GDP of some small countries 😂 Very nice pickup and great looking card.

KC

edited January 23, 2019 3:23PM

These Cuban baseball cards are fun and rare and cool little items. Low pop, too. I missed out on the three that I really wanted (Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio) but I was happy to come away with these examples:

1946 Propagandas Monticiel #56 Bill Dickey

1946 Propagandas Monticiel #79 Christy Mathewson

1946 Propagandas Monticiel #73 Carl Hubbell

1946 Propagandas Monticiel #70 Jimmy Foxx

1946 Propagandas Monticiel # 85 Al Lopez

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ Whoa! Way cool.

Andy

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 11:02AM

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2019 9:21PM

I love taking these 1/1s that Topps scatters around the country in random packs, and uniting them in one collection. Topps base superfractor and Topps update superfractor. My brother owns the base photo variation super, which would complete the three made this year, but he won't trade, LOL!

• JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that framework, looks great!

I picked up this beauty recently, sucker for mid 90's parallels. And apparently my scanner hates "I's"

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

This came in yesterday...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

picked up 2 hall of famers

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up a couple of 58's I needed

edited January 26, 2019 4:16AM

I don’t know how many ‘sets’ have more star power from the golden age of baseball. If you are looking for a baseball legend from the 1950s, they’re probably in there. This picture pack was sold in ballparks across America to little kids who would lay down a dime and get 20 mini posters of the games best players: Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Herb Score, Ray Boone, Al Kaline, Minnie Minosa, Stan Musial, Roy Campanella, Duke Snider, Don Newcombe, Robin Roberts, Al Schoendienst, Eddie Mathews, Al Dark, Ernie Banks, Willie Mays, Ted Kluszewski, Jackie Robinson, and Harvey Kuenn. The pictures are about 8 and 1/2 inches by 6 inches. Although the envelope is in poor condition, the photos are in great condition.

1954 All Star Pack Photos

PS - I will get some actual scans done this week.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dan89 said:
    Not perfect too to bottom obviously and a little bit of chipping noise in the right border. It does not have the elbow barnacle, great color, left to right is dead nuts and it is truly a pack fresh card. Very happy

That centering looks fine to me. Perfect centering is overrated compared to other eye appeal qualities, all of which this card has.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dan89 said:
    Not perfect too to bottom obviously and a little bit of chipping noise in the right border. It does not have the elbow barnacle, great color, left to right is dead nuts and it is truly a pack fresh card. Very happy

I would send that Bad-Boy in for a review. Very nice!!!

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

@han_soto said:
    technical nerd-out here. apologize in advance, but i thought the bat was already broken by pitch? he just completed the job, right?

but the one overs the knee. those were intense! esp the angels one, post hip surg.

either way, one very cool bobble head. i dont even collect them but woulda paid that for it regardless.

Shhhhhhhh... (it's for charity.)

The YouTube video is "Bo Jackson breaks bat over head". If it's on YouTube, it's fact, as nothing would be mislabled, misleading, faked, or used as clickbait there!

@countdouglas said:

Bo Jackson made his first ever appearance at the Kansas City Royals Fanfest yesterday, and I was lucky enough to be there to hear a 45 minute interview with Bo and the moderator, that also included a short question and answer session from the audience. If you at all remember Bo at the height of his powers, you couldn't help being transported back to that time in your life when he was THE MAN, and pulling a Bo Jackson card of any kind was a thrill!. Royals Charities and Bo Jackson teamed up to produce this bobblehead of him famously breaking his bat over his head. They gave (sold) them to fans yesterday for a $35 donation to Royals Charities, and obviously it was a very popular item. Many have already found their way to eBay, if you're interested. (None listed belong to me.) It was an enjoyable time listening to Bo, as he told stories that not many, if any, had heard before, and during one story, spoke highly of his mother, and emotionally so, and tears were welling up in everyone's eyes, as Bo had to stop and collect himself on several occasions and wipe his own away. It was a special afternoon for KC fans, and especially children of the 80s.

Your post was fantastic in every way.

The only thing I wanted to comment on was ‘the thrill of pulling a card with Bo Jackson card’ part.

1) He really did have several really nice cards over the years. In addition to being awesome just because they were Bo, they were always also handsome poses and just great shots in general and it was usually one of the nicest looking cards in the set.

2) In my head, when you said “the thrill”? My brain finished the sentence with:

‘...of scoring a 90 yard TD with him in Techmo Bowl.’

• JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Promised scans of the 1954 All Star Pack Photos I figured most would want to see. This being my first real chance to examine and handle them since they arrived, all I can say is they are very, very sharp for the issue. They've been on my radar forever but I've been holding out for a higher quality set. Patience paid off. I hope you agree.

Those are pretty sweet looking. Condition sensitive and yours look to be in great shape overall.

@JBrules said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Promised scans of the 1954 All Star Pack Photos I figured most would want to see. This being my first real chance to examine and handle them since they arrived, all I can say is they are very, very sharp for the issue. They've been on my radar forever but I've been holding out for a higher quality set. Patience paid off. I hope you agree.

Those are pretty sweet looking. Condition sensitive and yours look to be in great shape overall.

Thank you; between incomplete sets, pin holes, tape marks, writing on back, little bends and folds, curling and rounded or straight up beat torn corners, a ‘clean set’ was much harder to find than I ever thought they’d be. Happy to cross it off.

By sheer luck, the Mantle seems to have the best corners and be in the best technical shape of all 20. Though I’m quite taken by the Ernie Banks.

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019 2:11AM

@galaxy27 said:
    first off, this holder is rather unprepossessing. sure hope the dude i bought it from takes better care of himself. "honey, i crapped myself but i decided i'm not going to change until after dinner."

arguably my favorite Eldrick card, i managed to somehow BO this pup for far less than what the market dictates. rarely happens, but if you're patient enough, it eventually will. and the timing couldn't have been better with him kick-starting his season this week at Torrey. last thing i want to do is slobberknock with thousands if (when?) he goes off.

think 71T baseball with a longer perimeter. over 8,500 graded, only 121 deemed minty and a whopping 2 gems. one of these days i'll send it on a 4-month vacation and buy it a new house.

Nice looking pickup Stephen. For the life of me I will never understand why some collectors find it acceptable to make it look like they use their slabs for coasters. I mean why go through the trouble of grading and presumably protecting a card and then make it so that the holder looks like that. Great looking card though. As you know, I am here in San Diego, but I haven't been to Torrey since the Farmer's was called the Buick Open. Anyway, your trouble with slabs dovetails with my latest pickup. I am stoked to finally pick up a Topps Chrome Refractor of Jordan but the case leaves something to be desired, lol. Luckily, the card itself looks impeccable. So much so that I am debating if I want to send it to Newport on a reholder vacation or crack it out and cross my fingers for a crack and bump.

Steve
  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked these up from Probstein auction to add to my Yankees auto collection.

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Reggie Miller RC.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

037/100 Drew Brees ROOKIE pickup and now re-holdered.

It's been a very slow month, my money has been going towards my 2A hobby lately, but I've also missed out a couple big time Roys lately. These 2 should be arriving soon: