Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Month of January Acquisitions....what is so special to kick off the year?

Comments

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

Patrick Roy mail day!

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    edited January 17, 2019 11:06PM

And an autograph I added, I've been trying to get a clean Big Hurt auto ball for the right price, and this one worked out.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2019 10:53PM

@han_soto said:
    Mike,

Really digging these. Can you share any more details about them?

Color combos, rare combos, size, etc.

Very kind of you to ask Lloyd.

There's a thread on these buried somewhere but here's the basic info:

Kellogg's PEP Cereal Babe Ruth Toy Ring - c1949-51

When I got to color variation #3, I thought it was time to do a little research.

By the manufacturer, I'm sure everyone has inferred that it's a cereal box premium.

The ring measures about 9/16" in diameter, with 1/8" - wide shanks and a 5/8" square display table, with a 1/2" diameter cello inlay picturing Babe Ruth.

The plastic Babe Ruth toy ring was one of a 16 Ring set, featuring sports, aviation and Wild West themes. The one size fits all, premium Ring was inserted into boxes of Kellogg's PEP Cereal, and came in 6 different colors; Red, Blue, Green, Pink, Gold, Silver.

Unfortunately, not only are there insert color variations but also the colors vary - some look metallic while others look more like flat lacquer. Like the latest blue ring looks different from the other blue rings.

I also picked up a "Full Cereal Box" on eBay - which was one hell of a great find!

The one that I'm sure will be extra rare - hard to find - due to color? Pink. Before the age of "toxic masculinity" - no self respecting boy would want a pink ring. So I'm sure those were unceremoniously deposited in the "circular file."

Mike
  • Options

And finally, cleaning out the closet this weekend I came across a TTM acquisition circa 1997/1998. Hope to get this authenticated soon

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭

just got this today.

• Options

Whoops, forgot a couple! First, my all time favorite rookie card from my all time favorite NBA player:

And another Roy auto, this one paired with the great Ray Bourque:

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Those rings are just awesome. Great collection!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recent PWCC purchase. I am slowly making progress with my 58 set.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 10:17AM

Nice Maz! Really like the red background and love the centering on yours. Great looking card.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    Nice Maz! Really like the red background and love the centering on yours. Great looking card.

Thanks. I'm trying to finish this set in 8's but these cards are getting harder and more expensive to acquire.

• Options
    JewVolJewVol Posts: 110 ✭✭

Just got all these back from PSA. The Brady I found in a $7 dollar Goodwill Auction along with a bunch of other IMPACT and Dominion Bradys that all graded 8s and 9s and I thought they'd all be 10s. But thought the Brady would be a 7 or 8 so I'll take it all day.

Going to sell the Mayfield as well, there is a PWCC auction with one that ends in 6 days gonna let that set my price. I bet it goes for a couple hundred.

The Peyton and Clowney are for me to keep!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JKT said:
    Those rings are just awesome. Great collection!

Thanx John!

Mike
  • Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of Jordan cards.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019 1:20PM

Double mail day! First is another Jack Eichel rookie 1/1 for the PC. 2015 UD Black Diamond Quad Diamond Relics. This brings me down to only 1 more of his rookie 1/1s to get that I want. I still have never seen or even heard mentioned that it was pulled.

Second is a 2018 Rasmus Dahlin Young Guns High Gloss that I just got back from PSA. I really thought this had a shot at 10. Because of this I think sometime in the future I will be sending it in for a bump.

Kevin

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019 4:52PM

My latest pickup arrived this week. Another Yankee rookie for me of an absolute, hands down, no doubt, has his own thread active right now and hasn’t played in 30 years type of legendary pinstriped slugger. And while he’s depicted here in the uniform of another team, no Yankee fan alive can have a complete collection of legendary Bronx Bomber rookies without Mr. October. As for the card itself, I had to consider the bad tilt and centering (not to mention widespread trimming) issues that plague the set when selecting and I have been looking a long time. Long ago I figured out that you should buy the card once. Sharp cornered, no tilt, well centered ‘69s are the 9s and 10s so you have to have thousands or you have to concede. I’ve always been ok conceding when it’s the right combination of all the factors that matter to me. For me, it was the right balance of everything where I thought I should jump - really nice corners, vivid color, crisp image and well priced. And while I know it shouldn’t matter, I’d be lying if I didn’t mention that the new flip was a factor.

1969 Topps #260 Reggie Jackson

Note: the white blemish in the purple is not on the card. I had just cleaned the glass and that little particle has since been removed :smile: )

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019 7:23PM

Another oddball pickup. It's the original rubber molds they used make the 1990 baseball coins. A couple of players switched teams like Joe Carter and the mold has Indians logo, but the released coin was for the Padres. Same for Langston, the mold has Expos but the coin has Angels logo. Interestingly there was a mold for M's Ken Griffey Jr in 1989, but that coins was never released.

• Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

sending these to PSA shortly. 2017 Topps Aaron Judge Gold /2018 and Purple Toys R Us Parallels.

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    UD was on a great run with some amazing pictures... One of my favorite action shots.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slum22 Great call one the Marner. Mathews seems like the obvious choice on that team but Marner being a Canadian in that market who still hasn't reached his full potential could be the fan favorite when it's all said and done.

Kevin

• Options

Added this during the eBay bucks promotion:

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:
    Double mail day! First is another Jack Eichel rookie 1/1 for the PC. 2015 UD Black Diamond Quad Diamond Relics. This brings me down to only 1 more of his rookie 1/1s to get that I want. I still have never seen or even heard mentioned that it was pulled.

Second is a 2018 Rasmus Dahlin Young Guns High Gloss that I just got back from PSA. I really thought this had a shot at 10. Because of this I think sometime in the future I will be sending it in for a bump.

That high gloss Dahlin is so dope. I have a regular YG out to PSA right now that I have my fingers crossed on a 10 for. Any Captain Jack 1 of 1 is awesome, and that example is particularly gorgeous.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

My goal is to have all the major RCs in 98 SP in a 10. Next up: Raef Lafrentz Dirk

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options

Picked up 3 of these 4 on BIN right before OT started, bought the Ultra yesterday on a good BIN price at the time, even better after tonight:

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:
    @slum22 Great call one the Marner. Mathews seems like the obvious choice on that team but Marner being a Canadian in that market who still hasn't reached his full potential could be the fan favorite when it's all said and done.

Thanks. Yes, I was happy to snag the Marner at a fair BIN price on a 15% coupon day! I wish it was in the lighthouse flip like the McDavid, but I couldn't pass this up for under $140. I certainly like his career trajectory so far. If he and Matthews can turn Toronto into a consistent contender, the sky's the limit.

Steve
  • Options

@han_soto said:

Isnt there supposed to be a lil tucked in shirt showing above the fans belt, top right corner of these judges?

lol you saw that thread too? it depends on the centering of the card. sometimes the image shows higher up above the belt. my guess is that card that was proved trimmed was slightly off center top to bottom, which revealed more of the image up top. here are all of mine, both paper and chrome. all look he same, no shirt shown. the three raw base paper cards are ones I just pulled out of fresh Series 1 Topps Toys R Us packs the other day. look at the last pic of the last raw card. its noticeably more OC top to bottom than the other two. less of the hand is showing up top and theres more space on the bottom.

• Options

@han_soto said:
    I did! But worded and left certain names and faces out because....well you know why, right? Esp with the recent 4 round corners incident.

That guy does amazing working uncovering all that stuff. I like the fact that he really only published the pretty much 100% concrete stuff. I’d love to see what the list looks like that he knows is greyish but simply doesnt have the back up pics to show before/after. I bet it’s scary.

Well I hope at least my scans showed that not all of these are sketchy if there is or isn’t a shirt showing and it’s totally up to the centering.

• Options

@han_soto said:
    For sure. I certainly wasnt implying your’s were trimmed either. If I recall correctly that judge was a vintage stock so completely different sheet and set up all the way around.

yup vintage stock

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 11:04AM

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

UFFDAH’s budget for cards has to rival the GDP of some small countries 😂 Very nice pickup and great looking card.

KC

• Options
    edited January 23, 2019 3:23PM

These Cuban baseball cards are fun and rare and cool little items. Low pop, too. I missed out on the three that I really wanted (Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio) but I was happy to come away with these examples:

1946 Propagandas Monticiel #56 Bill Dickey

1946 Propagandas Monticiel #79 Christy Mathewson

1946 Propagandas Monticiel #73 Carl Hubbell

1946 Propagandas Monticiel #70 Jimmy Foxx

1946 Propagandas Monticiel # 85 Al Lopez

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ Whoa! Way cool.

Andy

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2019 11:02AM

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2019 9:21PM

I love taking these 1/1s that Topps scatters around the country in random packs, and uniting them in one collection. Topps base superfractor and Topps update superfractor. My brother owns the base photo variation super, which would complete the three made this year, but he won't trade, LOL!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that framework, looks great!

I picked up this beauty recently, sucker for mid 90's parallels. And apparently my scanner hates "I's"

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

This came in yesterday...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

picked up 2 hall of famers

• Options

Picked up a couple of 58's I needed

• Options
    edited January 26, 2019 4:16AM

I don’t know how many ‘sets’ have more star power from the golden age of baseball. If you are looking for a baseball legend from the 1950s, they’re probably in there. This picture pack was sold in ballparks across America to little kids who would lay down a dime and get 20 mini posters of the games best players: Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Herb Score, Ray Boone, Al Kaline, Minnie Minosa, Stan Musial, Roy Campanella, Duke Snider, Don Newcombe, Robin Roberts, Al Schoendienst, Eddie Mathews, Al Dark, Ernie Banks, Willie Mays, Ted Kluszewski, Jackie Robinson, and Harvey Kuenn. The pictures are about 8 and 1/2 inches by 6 inches. Although the envelope is in poor condition, the photos are in great condition.

1954 All Star Pack Photos

PS - I will get some actual scans done this week.