Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Month of January Acquisitions....what is so special to kick off the year?

124»

Comments

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dan89 said:
    Not perfect too to bottom obviously and a little bit of chipping noise in the right border. It does not have the elbow barnacle, great color, left to right is dead nuts and it is truly a pack fresh card. Very happy

That centering looks fine to me. Perfect centering is overrated compared to other eye appeal qualities, all of which this card has.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dan89 said:
    Not perfect too to bottom obviously and a little bit of chipping noise in the right border. It does not have the elbow barnacle, great color, left to right is dead nuts and it is truly a pack fresh card. Very happy

I would send that Bad-Boy in for a review. Very nice!!!

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

@han_soto said:
    technical nerd-out here. apologize in advance, but i thought the bat was already broken by pitch? he just completed the job, right?

but the one overs the knee. those were intense! esp the angels one, post hip surg.

either way, one very cool bobble head. i dont even collect them but woulda paid that for it regardless.

Shhhhhhhh... (it's for charity.)

The YouTube video is "Bo Jackson breaks bat over head". If it's on YouTube, it's fact, as nothing would be mislabled, misleading, faked, or used as clickbait there!

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

Bo Jackson made his first ever appearance at the Kansas City Royals Fanfest yesterday, and I was lucky enough to be there to hear a 45 minute interview with Bo and the moderator, that also included a short question and answer session from the audience. If you at all remember Bo at the height of his powers, you couldn't help being transported back to that time in your life when he was THE MAN, and pulling a Bo Jackson card of any kind was a thrill!. Royals Charities and Bo Jackson teamed up to produce this bobblehead of him famously breaking his bat over his head. They gave (sold) them to fans yesterday for a $35 donation to Royals Charities, and obviously it was a very popular item. Many have already found their way to eBay, if you're interested. (None listed belong to me.) It was an enjoyable time listening to Bo, as he told stories that not many, if any, had heard before, and during one story, spoke highly of his mother, and emotionally so, and tears were welling up in everyone's eyes, as Bo had to stop and collect himself on several occasions and wipe his own away. It was a special afternoon for KC fans, and especially children of the 80s.

Your post was fantastic in every way.

The only thing I wanted to comment on was ‘the thrill of pulling a card with Bo Jackson card’ part.

1) He really did have several really nice cards over the years. In addition to being awesome just because they were Bo, they were always also handsome poses and just great shots in general and it was usually one of the nicest looking cards in the set.

2) In my head, when you said “the thrill”? My brain finished the sentence with:

‘...of scoring a 90 yard TD with him in Techmo Bowl.’

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Promised scans of the 1954 All Star Pack Photos I figured most would want to see. This being my first real chance to examine and handle them since they arrived, all I can say is they are very, very sharp for the issue. They've been on my radar forever but I've been holding out for a higher quality set. Patience paid off. I hope you agree.

Those are pretty sweet looking. Condition sensitive and yours look to be in great shape overall.

@JBrules said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Promised scans of the 1954 All Star Pack Photos I figured most would want to see. This being my first real chance to examine and handle them since they arrived, all I can say is they are very, very sharp for the issue. They've been on my radar forever but I've been holding out for a higher quality set. Patience paid off. I hope you agree.

Those are pretty sweet looking. Condition sensitive and yours look to be in great shape overall.

Thank you; between incomplete sets, pin holes, tape marks, writing on back, little bends and folds, curling and rounded or straight up beat torn corners, a ‘clean set’ was much harder to find than I ever thought they’d be. Happy to cross it off.

By sheer luck, the Mantle seems to have the best corners and be in the best technical shape of all 20. Though I’m quite taken by the Ernie Banks.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019 2:11AM

@galaxy27 said:
    first off, this holder is rather unprepossessing. sure hope the dude i bought it from takes better care of himself. "honey, i crapped myself but i decided i'm not going to change until after dinner."

arguably my favorite Eldrick card, i managed to somehow BO this pup for far less than what the market dictates. rarely happens, but if you're patient enough, it eventually will. and the timing couldn't have been better with him kick-starting his season this week at Torrey. last thing i want to do is slobberknock with thousands if (when?) he goes off.

think 71T baseball with a longer perimeter. over 8,500 graded, only 121 deemed minty and a whopping 2 gems. one of these days i'll send it on a 4-month vacation and buy it a new house.

Nice looking pickup Stephen. For the life of me I will never understand why some collectors find it acceptable to make it look like they use their slabs for coasters. I mean why go through the trouble of grading and presumably protecting a card and then make it so that the holder looks like that. Great looking card though. As you know, I am here in San Diego, but I haven't been to Torrey since the Farmer's was called the Buick Open. Anyway, your trouble with slabs dovetails with my latest pickup. I am stoked to finally pick up a Topps Chrome Refractor of Jordan but the case leaves something to be desired, lol. Luckily, the card itself looks impeccable. So much so that I am debating if I want to send it to Newport on a reholder vacation or crack it out and cross my fingers for a crack and bump.

Steve
  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked these up from Probstein auction to add to my Yankees auto collection.

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Reggie Miller RC.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

037/100 Drew Brees ROOKIE pickup and now re-holdered.

• rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

It's been a very slow month, my money has been going towards my 2A hobby lately, but I've also missed out a couple big time Roys lately. These 2 should be arriving soon:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

Got a little purchase happy. The raw stuff is heading to PSA. Debating on attempting a crossover on the BGS card or cracking out.

• pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

Here are my latest addtions....I've picked up the Yogi Berra auto which I'll be sending to Allifax soon to make a custom card for me.

Then I'm continuing the quest with my boys to pick up all the 2016 Trouts with him jumping the fence. Here is what we got this month.

• yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

What a pitching staff they had.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Mr. Aaron!

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 2:27PM

What a super AS pack Tim!

My take on Mantle? That's not from 1954 but rather 1951 - his rookie year - I'm basing that on the fact that the number on his back looks more like the "6" he wore that year vs the ubiquitous 7?

Really nice pickup.

Plus, I believe that's the 1951 AL 50th anniversary patch - I would guess only worn that year?

Mike
  • Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

A few pickups this month. The 1987 Broder Bo Jackson I thought was unique because PSA no longer grades these and purchased it for my master set. The 1985 TCMA Gooden I thought presented very well and have never seen one come up for sale since I’ve been collecting him. It’s been a great month so far!

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.

@MLBdays said:
    @Gemyanks10 ~I look at young Dwight Gooden and just wonder what kind of numbers he could have put up without a mountainous cocaine addiction....He could have been better than Clemens on steroids. Damn.

Agree completely man! So much potential that was never realized! I put Strawberry in that mix too of two young kids that were playing in the big city that really didn’t have the direction they needed. If prospects like them two were to come up these days, I don’t believe that these issues that plagued these guys would happen now. Always fun to think about what if.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.

@Stone193 said:
    What a super AS pack Tim!

My take on Mantle? That's not from 1954 but rather 1951 - his rookie year - I'm basing that on the fact that the number on his back looks more like the "6" he wore that year vs the ubiquitous 7?

Really nice pickup.

Plus, I believe that's the 1951 AL 50th anniversary patch - I would guess only worn that year?

Good eye, Mike!

Yes - the shot is from his rookie season, for sure. The patch and the 6 confirm it. The same (exact) one is used for the ‘56 Yankees Team Photo Pack I picked up a while back. The two are indistinguishable.

Still no clue who made these but they made some teams sets and the ‘49 All Star Pack, also.

PS - That exhibit machine is AWESOME!

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gemyanks10 said:

>

Agree completely man! So much potential that was never realized! I put Strawberry in that mix too of two young kids that were playing in the big city that really didn’t have the direction they needed. If prospects like them two were to come up these days, I don’t believe that these issues that plagued these guys would happen now. Always fun to think about what if.

And yet, despite all his problems Strawberry would be a much better HOFer than Baines.

@daltex said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

>

And yet, despite all his problems Strawberry would be a much better HOFer than Baines.

Without a doubt lol.

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2019 7:57PM

Trying out my new scanner. I got card in. This Acuna Topps Update RC.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two ‘72 high numbers just in under the wire!

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2019 4:10AM

Some nice pickups fellas.

As a yankee collector I just gasp over the 56 berra and 72 munson.
    The 63 Mantle is splendid

The 33 Ruth is as awesome as they come.

Such diverse collections is what makes this hobby great!!!!

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Not a big acquisition, but an interesting one. I don't recall ever seeing these before, up until a couple of weeks ago. They are referred to as baseball plaques, and were released by the Tara Toy Company in 1989, with MLBPA approval. There is a checklist of I believe 48 players that includes Sabo and Schmidt, but omits Griffey, so I'm guessing early 1989 release. They look to me to perhaps be a precursor to the Topps Heads Up test issue that year. They are on heavy, thick paperboard with blank backs. The ones that are still mint on card packaging come with a display easel. There is also a spot with a preformed hole to perhaps tack it to a wall or corkboard. The photos are crisp and clear, and the colors really pop. I saw this lot of 18 for under $25 delivered, so why not? If anyone has more info on these, please share.

edited February 1, 2019 5:30AM

@MLBdays said:
    @countdouglas ......too big and thick for a PSA slab?

They are roughly 7 inches wide x 7 inches tall. The thickness is comparable to, if not thinner than, some of the patch cards and game used inserts.

@countdouglas said:

@MLBdays said:
    @countdouglas ......too big and thick for a PSA slab?

They are roughly 7 inches wide x 7 inches tall. The thickness is comparable to, if not thinner than, some of the patch cards and game used inserts.

Sounds like a Jumbo...

Very cool - love when things are posted I’ve never seen before.

Kudos @countdouglas

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

That Mattingly is not listed in the Don Mattingly Master Set, but I like it!!!!

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black