Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

November to remember acquisitions......whatya got ?

Comments

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bishop said:
    Added one of the 3 proofs to my set

Wow!!! Major score on that one. Congrats.

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

ill post pics later.. scanner is acting up. picked up a signed chris chelios book and dion phaneuf puck

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yoda99 said:
    I looked over my collection and realized that I don't have any card of Yogi Berra. Well, I have one now.

been eying this card from this set for awhile now and still need to pick one up just for the sake of having one.

myslabs.to/smzcards

the book and puck was going to scan in earlier ( puck - dion phaneuf )

• @UFFDAH said:
    Not new pickups but now reside in the new PSA holders. Still think the Eck Rookie is one of the coolest cards of the 70's. Thought I would share before I tuck them back in.

Great cards and agree with the Eck. Always wondered if that’s some chew in his side cheek or just the lighting/shadows.

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmanrico - I always assumed it was a big chaw or wad of gum. I hope so because that's what's cool !! it just drools "I'm gonna mow ya down"!!

• pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭

Here are my recent pick ups...I'm up to 4 different Trout cards now...

This completes my Bonds rookie run..

And this is just one more 1965 Clemente to add to the 6 or 7 I already have of my favorite card...going to need to get it slabbed.

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another Jordan.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Nice stuff @pdub1819

That Bonds card is such a cool card.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭

My local card shop had an Upper Deck promotion going on and was giving these out. I wonder if PSA would grade them?

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

Managed to pull this out of the box I bought too. To eBay it goes tonight while the card is still red hot.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2018 3:04PM

To nice adds. Love the Gritty YGs.

Kevin

this is my 3rd Charles Bray Collection pedigree. still working on my NY Highlanders registry set....another one in the mail too....

myslabs.to/smzcards

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmh111985 said:
    My local card shop had an Upper Deck promotion going on and was giving these out. I wonder if PSA would grade them?

Interesting item...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

That Hank is awesome!

@MLBdays said:
    These '62 woodies are the best of nostalgia in the 60's IMO...... I'm hunting for more HOF'ers in 62, 63 and 71~ Id love to find this Aaron in a PSA 8 with splendid centering as well... I just cant get enough :blush: ......

Also love the ‘62s and I’m hoping this guy does well - he’s on his way to California as we speak!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Hank is unbelievable!!

Andy

• GreedoguyGreedoguy Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2018 7:36AM

First time to post in this section. Pretty stoked about these 2 adds:

@DM23HOF said:
    Love that 62 Hank and the other wood Hank, 55B.

Been after the right '53 Topps Mick for quite some time. Almost every one of them has either centering or red corner issues, or both. Was thrilled to land this specimen! Quite prettier than a 7 I owned and leaves me one card from feeling my Mick run is complete.

Sweet looking 53 Mick. Well done as always. Looks like the only thing keeping it from grading higher is the bottom right corner. Amazing how a PSA 6 can outshine higher graded examples

@dan89 said:
    Yes, I know it’s not perfect,l and I thought the left to right was a bit better from the scan. I still do like it and it pairs well with my existing Willie. I need a Mantle 7 now for blackjack.

That Willie and Hank look great together. Two nice cards. Congrats.

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've started a rookie player registry of Bonds. This is my first one I have another on the way.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

While I hemmed and hawed over it for a while, I finally settled on a Casey Stengel rookie that felt more representative than the 1940 PlayBall card where he was manager for the Boston Bees. After consulting’s few different checklists and websites, the choice became quite clear and apparent: the first collectible produced when he was a member of the Brooklyn Dodgers. His rookie season was 1912, this carries a designation of 1914 and the first actual card wouldn’t be produced until two years later. Factor in the price of the alternatives (1910 Old Mill card from his minor league days in Maysville or the 1916 Sporting News) and you see why this cool little piece was the only choice I could make...

1914 B18 Blanket - Casey Stengel Brooklyn Dodgers

These little felts are 5 1/2 square and came with tobacco like many cards of the era, a product called Egyptienne Straights.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    While I hemmed and hawed over it for a while, I finally settled on a Casey Stengel rookie that felt more representative than the 1940 PlayBall card where he was manager for the Boston Bees. After consulting’s few different checklists and websites, the choice became quite clear and apparent: the first collectible produced when he was a member of the Brooklyn Dodgers. His rookie season was 1912, this carries a designation of 1914 and the first actual card wouldn’t be produced until two years later. Factor in the price of the alternatives (1910 Old Mill card from his minor league days in Maysville or the 1916 Sporting News) and you see why this cool little piece was the only choice I could make...

These little felts are 5 1/2 square and came with tobacco like many cards of the era, a product called Egyptienne Straights.

Does PSA grade these?

@daltex said:

Does PSA grade these?

I honestly have no clue. At worst, I can get them to slab it green, right?

• aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Nice stuff all!

aconte

@DM23HOF said:

Been after the right '53 Topps Mick for quite some time. Almost every one of them has either centering or red corner issues, or both. Was thrilled to land this specimen! Quite prettier than a 7 I owned and leaves me one card from feeling my Mick run is complete.

My favorite card of all time! Love it

Matt

@MLBdays said:
    These '62 woodies are the best of nostalgia in the 60's IMO. I'm hunting for more HOF'ers in 62, 63 and 71~ Id love to find this Aaron in a PSA 8 with splendid centering as well. I just can't get enough :blush:

Wow!!! That’s a serious card. Really nice @MLBdays

Matt
  • dan89dan89 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! I have always really loved them, and they just stood out growing up as demonstrating how big a deal a color tv was in 1955. Issue does not have really any big rookies and that brings it down a bit and some simply don’t like the style with lower graded having major chipping etc. I do really like the 62’s as well

@MLBdays said:
    @dan89 ~The '55 Bowman issue to me is as undervalued a timeless classic as any issue out there.....its so unique and delicate for the dark wood trim......I really think those Umpire cards are extraordinary with Chylak, Barlick and other HOF umps adding something unique to collecting baseball history...... At one time I owned 8-9 PSA 9's in the umpire issues. I wish I still had them.....the boldness of the dark cards on the original TV screen cant get any more pure. It fits perfectly in a museum of 1950-60's "Leave it to Beaver" architecture. I should drop this discussion or I'll end up going back into the '55 Bowman collecting sickness......Im just that kind of lunatic....:)

@DM23HOF said:

did you take this pic with an iPhone by chance?

myslabs.to/smzcards

@dan89 said:
    Thanks! I have always really loved them, and they just stood out growing up as demonstrating how big a deal a color tv was in 1955. Issue does not have really any big rookies and that brings it down a bit and some simply don’t like the style with lower graded having major chipping etc. I do really like the 62’s as well

@MLBdays said:
    @dan89 ~The '55 Bowman issue to me is as undervalued a timeless classic as any issue out there.....its so unique and delicate for the dark wood trim......I really think those Umpire cards are extraordinary with Chylak, Barlick and other HOF umps adding something unique to collecting baseball history...... At one time I owned 8-9 PSA 9's in the umpire issues. I wish I still had them.....the boldness of the dark cards on the original TV screen cant get any more pure. It fits perfectly in a museum of 1950-60's "Leave it to Beaver" architecture. I should drop this discussion or I'll end up going back into the '55 Bowman collecting sickness......Im just that kind of lunatic....:)

If you’re a Yankee fan, there’s a fantastic rookie in there. And mine happens to be a 7!

• dan89dan89 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure know about the Howard and that one is awesome and the Zim, however as you could imagine by my Patriots picture I am the furthest thing from a Yankee fan!!! I do like Mantle cards however!!!!

@dan89 said:

@MLBdays said:

If you’re a Yankee fan, there’s a fantastic rookie in there. And mine happens to be a 7!

• burghmanburghman Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭

Not an overly valuable card, but I'm extremely happy with its arrival in the mail today. I bought it raw many months back and submitted it for grading. It came back as N-6 Min Size Rqmt. I compared it to the other 1966s I had on hand and couldn't see a size difference so, after waiting a few weeks to consider my other raw options, I took a chance and resubmitted it with the credit that comes along with an N-6. While I was originally hoping for better than a PSA 6, I'll happily take it given the alternative...

Jim

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    Pretty excited about this pickup!! To me its Rodger's best and most attractive Rookie card. Super low print run of only 15 made with a rare silver colored autograph on a jersey swatch worn by Aaron in an official game. This one is 04/15 which I think is kinda cool since his predecessor Favre was #4. There is only 1 PSA GEM MINT 10 and this is it !!

You bring so much heat in the monthly pickup threads, love it. Congrats on this one.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice action shot here. Interesting batting breakdown on the back. Splits for day, night, grass and turf.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love all the ‘55 Bowmans. Been working on a HOF set in that year and know how tough they are. Really nice Mays, Aaron and Howard. Wow on that ‘62 Aaron!

Just picked up a program for one of the old timer baseball classics.. has between 47-51 autographs in it. hopefully can see the scans clearly

@MLBdays said:
    A '73 from the ongoing Munson set collection~ these '73 Topps cards often have brittle edges which chip easily and hard to find in top grades ~enjoy! ......

Awesome looking card!

Matt
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I added these to subsets that I am working on.
    James

@MLBdays said:
    A '73 from the ongoing Munson set collection~ these '73 Topps cards often have brittle edges which chip easily and hard to find in top grades ~enjoy! ......

Great looking card. Congrats. That has to be a low POP card.

• BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:
    As the title of the thread states it's a November to remember and I won't forget about it anytime soon!

This addition will most likely be the pinnacle of my collection perhaps not in dollar value but in importance. This is a pop 4 with one higher. I've seen 3 of the 4 9s and I would choose this one above the other two. I actually passed on one about a year ago and kicked myself for weeks after that wondering if I'd see another copy available. The pop 1 10 will probably never leave the hands of its current owner so I this is as good as it will get for me.

Great pickup Kevin. That thing is a beauty.

Couldn't help myself from picking up my second one of these in as many months: