Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

October acquisitions begin today so whatya got?

Comments

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another one for my 87 set.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to stop with the T206's

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    edited October 24, 2018 6:36AM

@MLBdays said:
    @dictoresno ...who in God's name is Joe Lake?

basically a nobody. im putting the t206 highlanders team set so I needed it. unlike everyone else on here, im no moneybags so can't afford the Cobbs and Mathewsons.

https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/baseball-cards/1909-1911-t206-white-border/joe-lake-new-york/18227

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that Is a really nice 2. Beautiful card dictoresno.

• Options
    edited October 24, 2018 7:02AM

@brad31 said:
    Wow that Is a really nice 2. Beautiful card dictoresno.

actually surprised because most of the T206's I picked up are between 3.5 and 1.5 and all look really nice for their grades. im picking up a different highlanders player, each with a different back first, then will grab duplicate backs to complete the players I need.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    edited October 24, 2018 7:29AM

@MLBdays said:
    @dictoresno ~ I was laughing with you last night as you commented that you "need to stop with the T-206's".....as though you have an uncontrollable addiction.....I looked up Mr. Lake and he was a spitball pitcher who pitched for 5 years .... passed away at 69 years young..... ;)

it is an uncontrollable condition. my wife and friends would agree. my wallet would too. I guess recognizing there's a problem is the first step.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

For $7, I couldn't pass this up. It will look great in my collection.

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

A couple for the Eddie Murray set

A tougher Trout SP (that I unfortunately overpaid for.....dont you just hate it when you enter in a strong bid for a card, then the day the auction ends someone puts up the exact same card for a BIN of around 80% of your bid? I do!)

And more to add to the Bregman stash (sometimes ya gotta go raw!)

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2018 5:54PM

So much great stuff to see in this thread.

Looking at Gehrig in that photo, reminds me of what a beast he was physically.

Those limited Bregman Archives RCs are going to be big cards of his; hopefully he helps usher in a new trend of lower K's and higher averages being in vogue.

Eddie Murray is showcasing some HOF hitting mechanics in that Pinnacle photo— can teach kids to hit off that image.

Always amazes me how the 1968 Topps design hides any wear; can find low and mid grades of 68s that look dynamite.

The T206 NY team projects is really awesome; as a Yankee fan it feels like something I should do with my kid, to get into the Pre-Ruth history of the team more. Also they are gorgeous, vibrant cards.

The 1988 Donruss pack display brings back big memories; used to buy those nonstop back then.

And lastly, Matt, that 1968 Mick PSA 8 is outstanding. Centered and focused— I have seen 9s of that card that are so blurry (even saw a recent 9 for sale of the 1957 that was also so blurry). Makes one really appreciate a focused image when you put one that is crisp beside a lesser example.

Saw a very well centered 1969 White Letter— the White Letter is usually so wrecked in the centering department; helped mitigate the sting , somewhat, of being outbid on the PSA 10 YL 1969 Mick at Heritage today ;)

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Last pickup of the month for me, always wanted one of these. Don't think I'll ever shell out to get the 84 star card but this will do just fine. Loved that the centering wasn't too skewed on this example and that it has some sharp corners.

It also had me thinking about what another board member mentioned here several months ago. If PSA hadn't made the conscious decision not to grade Star cards would the public perception surrounding MJ's true rookie be different? Would his 1984 Star be the most sought after basketball card in the hobby? It's a shame we'll never get to see one in a PSA holder but I completely understand why they made the decision they did.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Huskies11 said:

Last pickup of the month for me, always wanted one of these. Don't think I'll ever shell out to get the 84 star card but this will do just fine. Loved that the centering wasn't too skewed on this example and that it has some sharp corners.

It also had me thinking about what another board member mentioned here several months ago. If PSA hadn't made the conscious decision not to grade Star cards would the public perception surrounding MJ's true rookie be different? Would his 1984 Star be the most sought after basketball card in the hobby? It's a shame we'll never get to see one in a PSA holder but I completely understand why they made the decision they did.

Great Star MJ! I think for many, many collectors, the 1984 Star Jordan #101 XRC is already quite highly sought after. It sells for a handsome sum in any grade from BGS. To be sure, it would be even more valuable and have even higher demand if PSA stepped up and graded it. Over the years I've found that anyone who digs into the facts and history realizes that it's specious to cast the card in a pejorative light because of grader errors so many years ago.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

@Largentcollector said:

Steve,

That Hagen RC is really amazing, I spent a lot of time looking for a copy just like that and never did land one. I sure only a very small handful of those w/ that centering and focus ever surface in a year.

Awesome score on the Wilt RC (seems I had seen that card somewhere), it's good to see you getting back into vintage that is a great start. You have always had a good eye for picking up sharp cards.

Congrats!

Thanks Tim. I have been wanting to get back into vintage for a while now but have been working on the funds to do so. I am going after your model of great looking cards regardless of grade. I still hope to land some higher grade copies of some guys in the future, but this is a great start for me.

@BPorter26 said:

It amazes me that not one person commented on your gorgeous Wilt. That card has great color and as you know the centering on those cards are normally awful. The centering is pretty damn good. Hats off to your awesome pickup. Basketball cards are so underrated, but I'm sure if It was Mickey Mantle people would have commented on how nice it is. Once again great card.

Bobby, I appreciate the kind words. To be fair, Tim did give me a little love :) You are right in your observation, the centering on my Wilt is very good for this card, but it was the color and registration that really made this card pop for me. I know this board slants heavily towards being a baseball loving demographic. I like it though, it makes it even more special when another basketball guy comments on my cards or I see another collector's hardwood pickups.

Steve
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2018 11:25AM

@MLBdays - I totally agree. How can some of these new wet behind the ears rookies go so ridiculously high!!?? They are totally unproven with no real accolades. It just makes no sense at all. I see it too with basketball cards. Unproven rookies going for astronomical amounts as compared to proven rookies of perennial stars like Curry and Durant. I understand the Warriors dynasty thing/debate, personalities etc. etc. but Curry and Durant are proven rare talent with stats, championships, MVP's, records, etc. etc. I bought another Durant Rookie last night, too hard to pass up.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another scoop for the Yankees Retired Numbers Rookies Set. I really like to buy raw and this will be in hand soon and off to PSA pretty soon after. I am thinking/hoping for 4-5 (but always prepared for worse). When you consider the centering issues involved with the set, I think this is a pretty solid example.

1948 Bowman #6 Yogi Berra

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ordered this.

I got this as a bonus. I don't know much about Gem graded cards.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

I don't usually stray outside of the baseball too often. However, this kid has my attention - for both his play and his character. I hope he has a long and glorious career as the young man seems to have all the skills necessary to be a great player in the NFL for a long time.

2018 Panini Saquan Barkley #38 and ILL-SB

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@djr said:
    Today, combining $100 coupon, $100s in left over eBay Bucks rewards, 1% eBay Bucks & 2% credit card cash back =

Man, that card looks so good I could bite it!

(AGAIN.)

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    @PaulMaul ...I wish I could find his vintage Expos cap.....those were sweet. Nice Pick Up!

Take one Mets cap, liberally apply some red and white paint, and then find a 5 year old and have them attempt to paint the Expos logo, disregarding proportions... and voila! Haha!

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas - Agreed, not exactly the touch up artists’ finest hour. There’s something about the way that logo sits on the cap that seems out of perspective.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Clemente really jumps out as a spectacular example, congrats on all!

• Options

Love the All Stars and that Clemente. Really nice purchases.

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

@MLBdays you may need to change your name to @NFLdays.... Brown and Namath look great. I agree with you, you take an all time great, and can buy his cards for less than you can a wet behind the ears rookie.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options

@jfkheat, Great looking Maris and Clemente

Matt
  • Options

@djr Nice Jordan RC. Sounds like you got a nice deal on it.

Matt
  • Options

@DM23HOF said:
    So much great stuff to see in this thread.

Looking at Gehrig in that photo, reminds me of what a beast he was physically.

Those limited Bregman Archives RCs are going to be big cards of his; hopefully he helps usher in a new trend of lower K's and higher averages being in vogue.

Eddie Murray is showcasing some HOF hitting mechanics in that Pinnacle photo— can teach kids to hit off that image.

Always amazes me how the 1968 Topps design hides any wear; can find low and mid grades of 68s that look dynamite.

The T206 NY team projects is really awesome; as a Yankee fan it feels like something I should do with my kid, to get into the Pre-Ruth history of the team more. Also they are gorgeous, vibrant cards.

The 1988 Donruss pack display brings back big memories; used to buy those nonstop back then.

And lastly, Matt, that 1968 Mick PSA 8 is outstanding. Centered and focused— I have seen 9s of that card that are so blurry (even saw a recent 9 for sale of the 1957 that was also so blurry). Makes one really appreciate a focused image when you put one that is crisp beside a lesser example.

Saw a very well centered 1969 White Letter— the White Letter is usually so wrecked in the centering department; helped mitigate the sting , somewhat, of being outbid on the PSA 10 YL 1969 Mick at Heritage today ;)

Thanks Matt, That 69 Mantle has got great centering. Damn that card is so hard to find centered without tilt. Well done.

Matt
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2018 6:26PM

Matt...

I almost pulled the trigger too on the '55 Jackie in the PWCC auction...but am trying to reel in my spending. I like your '56 also...nice pickup!

Monte

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven’t scored many wackys lately, but this makes up for it!

• Options
    edited October 27, 2018 3:42PM

@PaulMaul said:
    Haven’t scored many wackys lately, but this makes up for it!

Nice @PaulMaul

Matt
  • Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    Here is a challenging #1 from the '60 set......I angled the photo so that the reflection of my iphone didn't inhibit the image ~ finding a red football with Johnnys name in it without print dots can be an undertaking...enjoy

Is his hair too tight?

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭✭

Some beautiful Mantles shown here.

As A Yankee collector I appreciate the highlanders. I am slowly working on them but one card per player is enough. I can't envision getting one for each back.

The Gehrig photo is a screamer. I would get it authenticated in the new PSA type 1 holder.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RookieHOFers said:
    Was happy to pick this one up. Wish I hadn't slept on that 55 Jackie that PWCC just sold and got top dollar for.

>

Wow! Great centering on that Jackie. That is a beautiful card.

KC

• Options

Thanks KC @KendallCat I appreciate it.

Matt
  • Options

Finished up nearly a 4 year project to complete a really nice 1986 Fleer Basketball Set. I really tried to find centered copies of every card. In the process I was able to buy quite a few cards RAW and self subbed many of the PSA 9 and PSA 10 cards contained in the set. That makes the set a little more special to me. It currently sits at 9.22. I may look to upgrade a couple cards still. Not an expensive last card, but I think a super hard card to find well centered.

Matt
  • Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I went heavy on the 1971 NFL ALL-STAR subset during the 10 percent ebay deal. I believe I'm down to just needing 6 cards to complete this subset.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2018 9:36AM

These just arrived a little while ago. The 56 Wynn is for my 56 HOF set.
    James

• Options

@jfkheat said:
    These just arrived a little while ago. The 56 Wynn is for my 56 HOF set.
    James

Beautiful 61 Mantle. That red background looks so good on that card. One of my favorites.

Matt
  • Options

Wow those are both great for the grade. Centering on the Wynn is top-notch and finding any of the MVPs without background fisheyes is very difficult.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2018 11:32AM

Here is my recent purchase...taking a risk since it is ungraded. Consignor states it came from an estate and the estate didn't want to grade them. (football packs were also in the estate as well as a '66 baseball pack) Gum is intact according to description. One small tear is on the left side of pack. The card on back is Joey Jay uniform #30...which I was able to determine even though description stated series unknown. This is card #174 in the second series. Am I zonked?

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finished October strong, used the 10% eBay discount to get a Gervin rookie I was happy with

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach