Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

October acquisitions begin today so whatya got?

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2018 5:44PM

@brad31 said:
    Love the Robinson traded. Cool that there were 3 HOFs with that stamp in ‘72.

Yes, and nice that Carlton and Robinson are pretty easy to find in high grade. Morgan is the only one of those three that is tough. Jose Cardenal is by far the toughest of the seven.

If only Ryan had been in an earlier series there could have been four!

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Couldn't help myself but to get another Karlsson, but felt like I was neglecting progress on my Moss set.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dan89 said:
    Last card after s three year journey to put the set together in PSA 9. Subbed about half of the set, bought three different Jordan’s until I was happy with one. Lost a Kevin Mchale at some point and had to buy another. Tried not to settle for any sliders and looked for the best centering on each card. Yes, I will need some upgrades. Feeling mixed emotionally as the journey is over, however wanting more. Will likely do the stickers after a break.

Thread winner!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Above average show in White Plains today. Picked this up because it looks nicer than most of the 9s I’ve seen available lately.

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

@dan89 said:
    Last card after s three year journey to put the set together in PSA 9. Subbed about half of the set, bought three different Jordan’s until I was happy with one. Lost a Kevin Mchale at some point and had to buy another. Tried not to settle for any sliders and looked for the best centering on each card. Yes, I will need some upgrades. Feeling mixed emotionally as the journey is over, however wanting more. Will likely do the stickers after a break.

Congratulations on completing the set. I’m down to 5 cards and am like you about 3.5 years into it. I have a 9’s and 10’s Set and have subbed many of them myself. I took the same approach and was super selective with centering on my cards so I would have a high end set. Down to 1 card on the stickers. I hope you decide to do the stickers as well. You can’t do the set and not build the sticker. 😁

Great accomplishment

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone!

Yes, I will go for the stickers. Does not seem too bad and I already have a few in 9.

Very happy to finish: some of these are surprising to find centered. Many that are not high priced, however a real challenge to find nicely centered.

@RookieHOFers said:

@dan89 said:

Congratulations on completing the set. I’m down to 5 cards and am like you about 3.5 years into it. I have a 9’s and 10’s Set and have subbed many of them myself. I took the same approach and was super selective with centering on my cards so I would have a high end set. Down to 1 card on the stickers. I hope you decide to do the stickers as well. You can’t do the set and not build the sticker. 😁

Great accomplishment

• Options

@DM23HOF

That 52 Bowman Mantle is stunning to look at. I didn’t know they could look that good.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got my portion of the bulk sub with LOTSOS in-hand today, several confusing disappointments, but really happy with these three ...

DJ is a /25 pop 1

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the Carlton. He was my favorite pitcher to watch as a kid. Always made the Cubs look silly.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    @DM23HOF I'm guessing surface issues might weigh down the '60 MAntle...the centering is solid on it and all of these lovelies. :) With your keen eye I'd hedge that much of your collection would rate Certified high end with PWCC lol.

Thank you very much, MLB. I expect the surface on the 1960 will be the reason, if it doesn't go higher. Once every blue moon I get spry and do some grade gambling. These two recent pickups pictured below will def be in that mix; the 52B is now my second favorite in the Mick set, such a slept on card...

I have looked at that Carlton 71 several times now— when a 71 is in that condition it is just so amazing.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

AWESOME Carlton and Mantles!! VERY NICE!!

A couple Rodgers Rookies and a Brees Rookie that arrived today. Really fun watching Brees break the all time NFL passing yards record last night, he is such a class act and football legend.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    Really fun watching Brees break the all time NFL passing yards record last night, he is such a class act and football legend.

Savvy investor too, but I would expect nothing less from a Boilermaker.

• Options

I am baffled at how that is only a 5. Lots of harshness these days. Good for business lol

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    Just got this Hogan in the mail today.

Too bad the Hulkster didn't use the roids to their potential. Tony Atlas sure did.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    @lotsos All the wrestlers loved MEAN Gene..... He was the man.

I did too. He was there in the prime of my wrestling viewing days. I always enjoyed the way the interacted with him. He played it straight so well it was always funny when he’d break just for a split second of whatever shinanigans were taking place.

Kevin

• Options

@LOTSOS said:

@MLBdays said:
    @lotsos All the wrestlers loved MEAN Gene..... He was the man.

I did too. He was there in the prime of my wrestling viewing days. I always enjoyed the way the interacted with him. He played it straight so well it was always funny when he’d break just for a split second of whatever shinanigans were taking place.

How he was able to not completely lose it during the Randy Savage promos is beyond me, particularly the Cream of the Crop promo

Currently Collecting:

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tony Atlas was a monster. Easily one of the best bodies ever in wrestling.

Mean Gene definitely somehow stayed in character through some unbelievable moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q

• Options

@DM23HOF said:
    That Carlton is outstanding; looks a little better than the black Judge, so maybe it could've gotten an 8.5. But with the black 1/1 the slab is really about the protection of such a fragile card that damages so easily. Happy to scan these Micks in this evening. The 1960 grade seems incredibly rough, and I think it comes back higher next time I get around to some gambling.

It’s October 10th and you’ve got that haul already. Really nice additions.

I nearly bought that 58 Mantle but thought the corner looked funky, boy was I wrong. Nice pickups Matt.

Matt
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2018 6:03PM

Thanks, Matt. The worst corner of the four is definitely a tad soft for the grade; I think the overall image quality really carried it with the grader. After landing the 52B 8 I am almost done with my run. There's one card I'd love to upgrade and one I am waiting to acquire but have a deal in place with its owner. Then will be excited to share the whole set.

• Options

I don’t recall seeing the cream of the crop promo before. That was classic!

One more that actually arrived today.

Kevin

• Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I'm almost embarrassed to post anything after seeing some of those Mantle cards, lol. This 1971 Kellogg's Butkus card was simply needed for my collection. I'm still working on paying down a paypal balance, so nothing expensive for a while.

• Options

This is just a hi res scan now that it's in hand. Selfishly, I wanted to get a better look at it and I really like the way the scans look once posted here. Plus, you guys love it...

1962 Yankees Team Issue Mickey Mantle

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    @DM23HOF look at this PSA 8 and compare it to yours above.....what am I missing?

I saw Matt’s card in person before he bought it and it is a monster of a 62 and well worth the spend. Main difference in his card versus yours (and your example is a nice one) is yours appears to have chipping down the right side and some in the upper left portion.

KC

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2018 8:53PM

I picked these up over the last few weeks. I am working on a 1959 Topps All Star subset. Most are for that set. The others are upgrades to sets that I have completed.
    James

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    @KendallCat ~ indeed ...This card is on ebay currently with PWCC and I couldn't reconcile how his (MAtt's) Mantle psa 8 and this one are in the same grade level....Matts is vastly superior in my eyes at least.....I agree totally. When I said "what am I missing?" I was asking how can this PWCC Mantle and his Mantle PSA 8 be in the same holder.

Old flip. No way it would grade an 8 today.

• Options

@DM23HOF said:
    Thanks, Matt. The worst corner of the four is definitely a tad soft for the grade; I think the overall image quality really carried it with the grader. After landing the 52B 8 I am almost done with my run. There's one card I'd love to upgrade and one I am waiting to acquire but have a deal in place with its owner. Then will be excited to share the whole set.

I don't even agree with you that the worst corner is soft for the grade. I think that's a heck of a nice card Matt. I would be quote pleased with that one, and wish I had one like it. I am slowly working on a run myself and will scan them all when I get them back from PSA as they are all getting reholdered. I can t wait to see more.

Matt
  • Options

@MLBdays said:
    @KendallCat ~ indeed ...This card is on ebay currently with PWCC and I couldn't reconcile how his (MAtt's) Mantle psa 8 and this one are in the same grade level....Matts is vastly superior in my eyes at least.....I agree totally. When I said "what am I missing?" I was asking how can this PWCC Mantle and his Mantle PSA 8 be in the same holder.

I was reading your comment and looking at the scan that way as well @MLBdays..... You compare that 62 Mantle that Matt purchased versus the one you showed and there is quite a disparity.

Matt
  • Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    This is just a hi res scan now that it's in hand. Selfishly, I wanted to get a better look at it and I really like the way the scans look once posted here. Plus, you guys love it...

1962 Yankees Team Issue Mickey Mantle

Great looking Team issue of the Mick!

Matt
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slow mail week for me, but I am really happy with the one card that showed up

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

-Collecting anything vintage
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Slow mail week for me, but I am really happy with the one card that showed up

Sweet Gervin. That card would look right at home in a PSA 10 holder if you ask me. Congrats.

• Options

Had a little too much red wine and went eBaying last Saturday. Don't regret it. Always wanted to get my hands on the 1996 UD Jersey.

Currently Collecting:

• Options

@Huskies11 said:

Had a little too much red wine and went eBaying last Saturday. Don't regret it. Always wanted to get my hands on the 1996 UD Jersey.

Love the Eichel! I’ve been on eBay with a little to much red wine before. May happen tonight too. Never know.

Kevin