Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC) (Sold out...)

Comments

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldminers said:
    Currently published population numbers by PCGS: (be aware of all the usual population disclaimers)

2018-S reverse Block quarter 79 PR70 and 1749 69's slabbed

2018-S reverse Sacajawea/Thorpe 94 PR70 and 1766 69's slabbed

The above number proportions are fairly similar. Both are very hard to find for sure in PR70. Basically impossible to know how many want to buy these and future populations, but the prices for PR70's are currently really different considering what numbers of them are available.

Well, they are starting to get closer. Block quarters at $1500, Sacs at $500

But the missing number above is the relative number of collectors for each series.

What I can see is there are 50 top #1 registry sets collecting only PR70 PCGS Sacajawea proofs and it looks like only 3 have purchased and received their Reverse Proof 70 coin numbers and upgraded their sets so far. I am not sure why? Maybe many are just waiting to see what happens, but at some point, they will buy.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldminers said:
    Currently published population numbers by PCGS: (be aware of all the usual population disclaimers)

2018-S reverse Block quarter 79 PR70 and 1749 69's slabbed

2018-S reverse Sacajawea/Thorpe 94 PR70 and 1766 69's slabbed

The above number proportions are fairly similar. Both are very hard to find for sure in PR70. Basically impossible to know how many want to buy these and future populations, but the prices for PR70's are currently really different considering what numbers of them are available.

Well, they are starting to get closer. Block quarters at $1500, Sacs at $500

But the missing number above is the relative number of collectors for each series.

What I can see is there are 50 top #1 registry sets collecting only PR70 PCGS Sacajawea proofs and it looks like only 3 have purchased and received their Reverse Proof 70 coin numbers and upgraded their sets so far. I am not sure why? Maybe many are just waiting to see what happens, but at some point, they will buy.

May mean the next run will be Sacs. PCGS should get ready for a couple thousand of those showing up.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    May mean the next run will be Sacs. PCGS should get ready for a couple thousand of those showing up.

Very possible. Actually I wish a few thousand more would send them in because my CLCT stock is still underwater and they need to grade more to help pay for the brand new building and dividend. ;)

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

Any idea what's keeping the PR70 Sac number down? Maybe a rim issue? Something with the edge lettering/stars? I haven't cracked any out yet so it's hard for me to tell.

• Options

@smokincoin said:
    Any idea what's keeping the PR70 Sac number down? Maybe a rim issue? Something with the edge lettering/stars? I haven't cracked any out yet so it's hard for me to tell.

They also appear to have the same kind of marks that the Block quarters do. Still not sure from whence those arise.

• Options

The problem I see on the Sacajawea's that I have been reviewing closely is on Thorpe side where he has a high cheek that I believe maybe is just barely above the rim and so it gets these tiny micro scratches (like the Block) that can be seen catching light when turned just right. Like @jmlanzaf I am not sure why, and the Mint needs to tell us.

Hard to see in some cases until the coin is not in a plastic holder. I think that is why so many are getting 69's graded they think are going to be 70's.

• Options

@smokincoin said:

I have seen a few that did not have the scratches on the Thorpe side which are near the eye and upper cheek or lower side of mouth, but they did have some rim bends or flaws to prevent me sending them in.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got the PCGS PF69 First Strike in the mail today

NO Neck Scuffs. I tried to capture the clean neck from a different angle so the light would catch and scuffs. I was shaking so its a little out of sharp focus but you can see it is clean.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Resubmit

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Very hard to tell from the Block PR69 picture. I also have a PCGS PR69 with no micro-scratches at the neck at 5x or less that I was considering sending in. Then I started to look at the mirror surface finish quality on both sides and felt it had an area that instead of mirror it was a bit cloudy or dusty looking. Sort of like what you see on a PL vs a DMPL. I have another raw coin w/o the hairline scratches, but that had a ding or dimple on the rim.

On the bird side of yours in the picture there look like some cloudy areas on the sides above the letters. Maybe it is just light reflection, but two different independent graders concluded it was a 69, so they probably saw something.

But by all means resubmit it if you don't see anything and you think they were wrong. In about 3 weeks, let us know how that worked out.

Currently there is enough profit to take some risk, and may the odds be in your favor.

• Options
    edited September 1, 2018 9:18PM

@Goldminers
    I also have a PCGS PR69 with no micro-scratches at the neck at 5x
    When I use my 10X loop I see some tiny scratches just above the initials. That spot is a vulnerable spot as there is a transition from below the neck under side to the neck edge high area. Not really visible by eye only. You can just see a white indistinct line above the initials in the sideways close-up.

look like some cloudy areas on the sides above the letters
    I think its the prongs of the holder. I don't see any cloudiness.

I think it's a fair grade of 69.

I won't blame the tools, cell phone, for the sub-pare photos. My haste and shaky hand held are the cause. I may try again with a mini tripod.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got my proof 69 today and you can see some abrasions on Washington.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    Got the PCGS PF69 First Strike in the mail today

I think if you tilt it very carefully at different angles to the lighting, you will see them. Even the 70s I had had some minor evidence. I've yet to see a perfectly clean one in over 200 sets examined. The scuff marks are not silvery nor scratches, they are lines that are finished just like the best. You may have to tilt the coin relative to the light source under magnification to see them.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

2018-S Silver Block Island Park Quarter Reverse Proof PR70 PCGS First Strike SF
    $976.00
    33 bids | Ends in 13h 42m

Its alive. ITS A L I V E !

• Options

@FullStrike said:
    $976.00

LOL. Should we guess at the Hammer? I say $1276

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay item number:163230241674

Justin’s is rolling along as well... currently at $1,010.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@FullStrike said:
    $976.00

LOL. Should we guess at the Hammer? I say $1276

$1690

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

$1450,

But for fun what about the eBay Sacajawea ending this afternoon? $525

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    $1450,

I bet the sac gets more.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell I just want a Block with no damage on the neck and don't care if it is graded or not. I'm sick of looking at mine with the abrasions....

Anyone with a raw to sell?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@dmwest said:

@Goldminers said:
    $1450,

I bet the sac gets more.

If the other two buy it now Sac coins did not exist out there, I think it could easily go over $600 based on the low pops currently, especially considering there are 50 top registry set collectors of all PR70 Sac's and only a handful have upgraded.

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@dmwest said:

@Goldminers said:
    $1450,

I bet the sac gets more.

If the other two buy it now Sac coins did not exist out there, I think it could easily go over $600 based on the low pops currently, especially considering there are 50 top registry set collectors of all PR70 Sac's and only a handful have upgraded.

Maybe. But the fact that the BIN Sacs are still there means that either no one is good at searching eBay or the price hasn't risen to that level yet.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldminers said:

@dmwest said:

@Goldminers said:
    $1450,

I bet the sac gets more.

Maybe. But the fact that the BIN Sacs are still there means that either no one is good at searching eBay or the price hasn't risen to that level yet.

$10,000.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

10,000 South African Rand sounds about right at current exchange rates. LOL

• Options

$1,550

• Options

The one Block sold for $1,035. The other has an hour to go and it is currently under $1,000.

• Options

There are 42 people watching that Sacajawea! We will see who wants it the most within the hour.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2018 5:17PM

Kudbegud I will give you $11.00 for your PCGS 69 !!!!

I am still waiting for mine to come in. Maybe Tuesday.

• Options

About this item
    Quantity
    1 available
    Certification
    PCGS
    Circulated/Uncirculated
    Uncirculated
    Grade
    PR 69
    Strike Type
    Proof
    Year
    Mint Location
    San Francisco

On the coin closing soon, it has this info down below. If it was me I'd be nervous about any PF 70 that said ANYTHING about PF69 down lower in the description.

• Options

@FullStrike said:
    About this item
    Quantity
    1 available
    Certification
    PCGS
    Circulated/Uncirculated
    Uncirculated
    Grade
    PR 69
    Strike Type
    Proof
    Year
    Mint Location
    San Francisco

On the coin closing soon, it has this info down below. If it was me I'd be nervous about any PF 70 that said ANYTHING about PF69 down lower in the description.

That's just a box checking error. You don't even have to check that box at all

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    The Sac went for $430

Crazy cheap

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember when these are being sold they are often being sold “as is” so not every 70 is created equal. These could be people trying to get rid of something they don’t see as “perfect” as other examples of the same coin in the same holder in the same grade.
    That being said, you gotta love chargeback privileges with PayPal.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2018 5:43PM

Slightly surprised the second Block Is. underperformed the first today by about 6%. It looks like the Coins (for the moment) have “settled in at around $1,000. 33% off the high of last week and about 60% above the high of two weeks ago. I am not terribly surprised. Just my 2 cents. Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    Slightly surprised the second Block Is. underperformed the first today by about 6%. It looks like the Coins (for the moment) have “settled in at around $1,000. 33% off the high of last week and about 60% above the high of two weeks ago. I am not terribly surprised. Just my 2 cents. Wondercoin.

As supplies go up demand gets met.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

2018-S Block Island Silver Quarter PCGS PR70 First Strike Reverse Proof Set
    $565.00
    26 bids | Ends in 4d 20h

Hope springs eternal. Maybe this one will continue the climb?

• Options

How does the number creep up that much with no sales? Is there a lag in booking sales?

• Options

Some dude is on eBay trying to find his sucker.....will he?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. A 0.4% return rate. That's gotta be a record...

2018 San Francisco Silver Reverse Proof Set
    DateSoldIncreaseComment
    7/24/2018106,108First day sales
    7/29/2018145,389145,389
    8/5/2018164,11918,730
    8/12/2018173,6229,503
    8/19/2018189,32515,703
    8/26/2018198,7489,423
    9/2/2018199,177429
  • Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Wow. A 0.4% return rate. That's gotta be a record...

<

table style="text-align:center; border-collapse: collapse;" border="1">

2018 San Francisco Silver Reverse Proof Set
    DateSoldIncreaseComment
    7/24/2018106,108First day sales
    7/29/2018145,389145,389

Do we know that? Don't they have excess production they use to make up for damaged or returned sets?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's a sealed box of 5 first strike eligible sets selling for these days?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

Someone sold two boxes of five on the bst for $350 a box.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinCrazyPA said:

@grote15 said:

Thanks.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

NGC has officially recognized the variety claiming THEY had discovered it....

https://ngccoin.com/news/article/6829/half-dollar-new-variety/

• Options

@BigA said:

>

First to recognize the variety gets to claim it as their discovery.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    edited September 5, 2018 4:55AM

@jmlanzaf said:

How does the number creep up that much with no sales? Is there a lag in booking sales?

I ordered my extras on the 25th and 26th (Sunday) but I don't think any were available after that....maybe a delay in number reporting until the CC's are confirmed?

Arriving today.....

• Options

@dmwest said:

@BigA said:

>

First to recognize the variety gets to claim it as their discovery.

Gotcha.....thanks

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@CoinCrazyPA said:

@grote15 said:

Thanks.

Not enough... yet. I think it's definitely worth holding onto for a while. I've got one.

• Options
    edited September 5, 2018 5:37AM

I showed them to pcgs at the beginning and they declined to recognize it. But, Justin is selling pcgs 70s on eBay noting that the coins are of the light finish variety. Thus far, no one seems to care all that much for the undesignated 70s.

After PCGS was not interested, I passed the information along to Miles and Rick at NGC. They jumped on it. Wondercoin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file