Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC) (Sold out...)

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    I showed them to pcgs at the beginning and they declined to recognize it. But, Justin is selling pcgs 70s on eBay noting that the coins are of the light finish variety. Thus far, no one seems to care all that much for the undesignated 70s.

After PCGS was not interested, I passed the information along to Miles and Rick at NGC. They jumped on it. Wondercoin

And let the games begin.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the game might have a rain delay until the American Eagle 2018 One Ounce Palladium Proof Coins sell out

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    the game might have a rain delay until the American Eagle 2018 One Ounce Palladium Proof Coins sell out

Different game. Different players

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:
    NGC has officially recognized the variety claiming THEY had discovered it....

https://ngccoin.com/news/article/6829/half-dollar-new-variety/

Thats BS, @jmlanzaf brought this up here first.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2018 6:39PM

@ECHOES said:

@BigA said:
    NGC has officially recognized the variety claiming THEY had discovered it....

https://ngccoin.com/news/article/6829/half-dollar-new-variety/

Thats BS, @jmlanzaf brought this up here first.

I think we all saw it first in that Numi News article with the bad picture. That's where I saw it.

The real question: will PCGS follow suit?

With the follow-up question: What's a PCGS certified variety in PR70 worth for all the Kennedy registry set collectors? How many will there be?

I am also curious about pricing for the NGC coins, but these reverse proof coins are soooo much cheaper at NGC as it is.

Weirdest thing about the NGC announcement was that they said they've graded 9000 halves and less than 10% of them were the variety. So, since I've yet to see when in a slab, is that just a random guess or were they tracking them?

• Options

By the way, I got my last 3 shipments of reverse proof sets today. 14 out of 15 were Kennedy varieties. Those last sets sold were mostly varieties. I'm really wondering if whoever bought those multiple thousands of sets on that last big sales day has virtually cornered the market on these.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only got 1 Kennedy variety out of my first 20. Then I waited till they were nearly out and ordered one set. And yes, it was a variety. So I agree with your premise. Also, to me the varieties are sort of PL or enhanced looking and no cameo at all.

I prefer the look of the real reverse proof with a nice Proof cameo and frosty white background.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    I only got 1 Kennedy variety out of my first 20. Then I waited till they were nearly out and ordered one set. And yes, it was a variety. So I agree with your premise. Also, to me the varieties are sort of PL or enhanced looking and no cameo at all.

I prefer the look of the real reverse proof with a nice Proof cameo and frosty white background.

I agree. I'm so tired of looking at varieties, I miss the originals which are much sharper. LOL.

Until 5 minutes ago, I had 64 varieties and only 3 regular ones. [Someone just bought 20 varieties from me.]

The coins are soooo different, I really can't believe that PCGS didn't declare it a variety first. This is NOT the distinction between say CAM and DCAM, it is a completely different finish. I had someone suggest that the varieties look more like the burnished eagles than a proof coin. I think he's right about the fields having that look. There are PL devices against a burnished background. I kind of wish NGC had used something more like "burnished" than "light finish".

• Options

Yes, I think they do have a unique kind of finish combination. The mint definitely did something really different. I wonder if anyone can find out what really happened.

Since there is a chance PCGS could change their mind, I will be saving one of mine that has PR70 potential to send in if I have to.

• Options

No bids on the last PR70 reverse Block quarter at $999.

Three being bid on. Looks like this batch may end up around the $750-900 range? Would not be surprised to see them $500-700 when another half dozen show up.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

The pop is up to 107 today

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

Up 20 since Saturday.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

• Options
    edited September 5, 2018 8:35PM

At that rate $400-$500 for the Blocks fairly soon.

So the Sacajawea is new low pop (for now) because it still shows 94, vs Block up to 107.

• Options

I wonder how many will have buyers remorse now the pops are up and want to return theirs?

• Options

@CoinCrazyPA said:
    I wonder how many will have buyers remorse now the pops are up and want to return theirs?

Probably very few. If the point is to be first to your registry set for the points, you have no choice but to buy early. The only ones who would have remorse are those that thought they could flip them above $1000 and I really haven't heard very many people in that camp

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2018 4:33AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    By the way, I got my last 3 shipments of reverse proof sets today. 14 out of 15 were Kennedy varieties. Those last sets sold were mostly varieties. I'm really wondering if whoever bought those multiple thousands of sets on that last big sales day has virtually cornered the market on these.

Strange....I received my three "currently unavailable" orders yesterday...total ten sets...zero varieties....and you get 14 of 15...strange indeed

..and

Weirdest thing about the NGC announcement was that they said they've graded 9000 halves and less than 10% of them were the variety. So, since I've yet to see when in a slab, is that just a random guess or were they tracking them?

Exactly! So they recognized the variety, kept track of them and sent them all out with a normal label....nice job. I guess anyone can send them back for re-slabbing and pay more cash to them

• Options

@BigA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Strange....I received my three "currently unavailable" orders yesterday...total ten sets...zero varieties....and you get 14 of 15...strange indeed

..and

Exactly! So they recognized the variety, kept track of them and sent them all out with a normal label....nice job. I guess anyone can send them back for re-slabbing and pay more cash to them

There is now an NGC 70 variety slogan in Ebay at $249.

Not just my last order. My last 11 orders totaled 73 sets with only 14 regular sets.

• Options

About 85 sets came available this morning...gone now.

So, we might see a few more of these.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

I tried to grab some but my darn phone was too slow...or I was...

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I would have had them all, but the dang website doesn't know to automatically pare the number down. So I put 100 in my cart as soon as they popped up which is how I knew the total number, but it wouldn't let me check out until I manually changed the number. But, of course, by the time I manually changed the number it had dropped. I ended up with 4 separate orders, the last 2 of which were for 1 set each.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I would have had them all, but the dang website doesn't know to automatically pare the number down. So I put 100 in my cart as soon as they popped up which is how I knew the total number, but it wouldn't let me check out until I manually changed the number. But, of course, by the time I manually changed the number it had dropped. I ended up with 4 separate orders, the last 2 of which were for 1 set each.

Yes, I did the same thing. The site can’t automatically reduce, which is dumb so I too had to start over. Plus I was half asleep so that didn’t help. You got the last 2 I was trying to get in the end :)

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Yes, I did the same thing. The site can’t automatically reduce, which is dumb so I too had to start over. Plus I was half asleep so that didn’t help. You got the last 2 I was trying to get in the end :)

Sorry. I was just about running out. LOL. Now I can start all over again. :smiley:

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

What time? I checked around 7:30 and didn't see any.....how small is that window of opportunity?

• Options

@Onastone said:

@jmlanzaf said:

What time? I checked around 7:30 and didn't see any.....how small is that window of opportunity?

It was about 7:30. A little after. Lasted less than 2 minutes.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

What time zone are you at the 0730 releases?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:

Usually, when dealing with the Mint, it's all in Eastern time. Like when something goes on sale at Noon. Everyone says "Noon", but for most, it's not. :smiley:

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Akbeez said:

Usually, when dealing with the Mint, it's all in Eastern time. Like when something goes on sale at Noon. Everyone says "Noon", but for most, it's not. :smiley:

Yes. It is often around 7:30 a.m. Eastern time. Although sometimes they pop up any old time.

• Options

I got 3 sets this morning. They have to be close to all gone...

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

I got 4 this morning. :smiley:

• Options

I saw 7 this morning

@smokincoin said:

@dmwest said:

I got 4 this morning. :smiley:

That's the 7 I saw. LOL

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had 5 of these sets in my cart this AM + a palladium coin...but when I got to checkout, 5 sets were no longer available, so I quickly dumped them...BUT I STILL GOT THE PALLADIUM COIN!

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Akbeez said:

Ok thanks. That’s what I thought but somehow missed them recently. Us folks on the (far) west coast have the time disadvantage. That’s 0330 my time...

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

2018-S Block Island Silver Quarter PCGS PR70 First Strike Reverse Proof Set
    $1,005.00
    Condition: --
    Ended: Sep 07, 2018, 06:01:26 PM PDT

Wow, looks like these Blockheads 😉 are still chasing these things down.

Well, here's another one ending a little later tonight. I find it interesting to watch prices on these.

2018-S Silver Block Island Park Quarter Reverse Proof PR70 PCGS First Strike SF
    $615.00
    27 bids | Ends in 5h 40m

• Options

@FullStrike said:
    $1,005.00

Well, here's another one ending a little later tonight. I find it interesting to watch prices on these.

$615.00
    27 bids | Ends in 5h 40m

Still a relative "rare" coin in that holder. The Sac as well.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@FullStrike said:
    $1,005.00

$615.00
    27 bids | Ends in 5h 40m

Still a relative "rare" coin in that holder. The Sac as well.

Ive had some interest in my PR70 set I have for sale but not like it was. I was hoping adding a palladium eagle would boost it to sell....fees are the killer fort that combined price.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

$666.00
    30 bids | Ends in 45m 47s

Well ......... isn't that special.
    👹

• Options
    edited September 9, 2018 7:32PM

Another Block just sold at $915. It seems like there are still a few who really like them at these price levels. The last few Sacs seem to be selling in the $275-$300 range. Edited to say $355 on the last one just now.

• Options

there were zero available today, but I did get another Palladium. We will see what the silver reverse proof numbers are today...maybe it will get marked sold out?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

Down to 199052. Few returns hit.

• Options
    edited September 12, 2018 5:19PM

New Block Island PR70 pop has jumped up to 185.

• Options

Someone got a 65

• Options

There were some available this morning, Sept 13'th, I got as far as verification.then they were gone@!

• Options

@Onastone said:
    There were some available this morning, Sept 13'th, I got as far as verification.then they were gone@!

Any idea on how many there were?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    edited September 13, 2018 4:52AM

@dmwest No idea, I put three in my cart and it was processing okay. So at least three. I expect the SOLD OUT sign any day.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@Onastone said:

Any idea on how many there were?

There were 6.

I got the last one after fumbling with my phone for a while. LOL.

I'm not sure we won't see a few more dribs and drabs before they get to sell-out. We are still 1000 units below the max. While I don't really expect them to strike any new ones, it's not impossible

• Options

@DeepBlue said:
    TPG need to decide whether the variety on die finish is to called variety rather error. The set is special period.

They did decide. NGC decided and has labeled it "Light Finish". PCGS has not attributed any. Light Finish to me sound more variety but since it's not the way the coin was intended i would lean towards error. "Finish Error" would be more appropriate...

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    I'm not sure we won't see a few more dribs and drabs before they get to sell-out. We are still 1000 units below the max. While I don't really expect them to strike any new ones, it's not impossible

I would hope they would get closer to the 200,000 mintage than the EU set did with the 225,000 mintage.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

I wonder if there will ever be a release of the number of "light finish" halves were minted.

• Options

Ok...with 8% Ebay bucks ending today I just bought 15 raw "light finish" halves....we'll see what they look like on arrival...

• Options

@BigA said:
    I wonder if there will ever be a release of the number of "light finish" halves were minted.

I don't know that they know. IF they all came from one die, then they would know because they track those. [If they still know which die it was.] But so far they haven't admitted to knowing how it happened. [Of course, Roger Breen is insisting it is just die fatigue.]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file