Home U.S. Coin Forum

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC) (Sold out...)

Comments

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a PR70 block island yesterday....I’m sure the market will now collapse....

Don't quote me on that.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Aaaaaand, Coin World chimes in...

The Proof 70 grade is proving elusive for some of the coins in the San Francisco Mint 2018 Silver Reverse Proof set, and prices for a few pieces have been surprising.

coinworld:Proof 70 grade elusive for some San Francisco Mint 2018 Silver Reverse Proof set coins

Thats it I am just going to buy a 70 from NGC or ANACS and pretend its a PCGS coin.

Buy yourself one of those Chinese slab sets and you can cross it over yourself.

@dmwest said:
    I bought a PR70 block island yesterday....I’m sure the market will now collapse....

I sold 4 last week, I'm sure the market will EXPLODE!!1 :wink:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

One of us will be right.

Don't quote me on that.

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

One of us will be right.

LOL. Well...it could just tread water. :wink:

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Aaaaaand, Coin World chimes in...

The Proof 70 grade is proving elusive for some of the coins in the San Francisco Mint 2018 Silver Reverse Proof set, and prices for a few pieces have been surprising.

coinworld:Proof 70 grade elusive for some San Francisco Mint 2018 Silver Reverse Proof set coins

Thats it I am just going to buy a 70 from NGC or ANACS and pretend its a PCGS coin.

Buy yourself one of those Chinese slab sets and you can cross it over yourself.

Better yet I looked through the pages I think on page 5 of Alibaba they got the $100.00 Benjiman's ready for shipment. What better way than to have a stack of fresh CRISP $100.00 Benji's. Pass them off at the local hardware stores, wear a hat never look up from town to town and never go back to that town. I am sure they would pass the ink test? No? Of course in the spirit of full disclosure " I was Freaking Kidding!!!!!" :*>:)

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Currently the set data PCGS shows is of 1,779 PCGS Block reverse quarters slabbed (out of 10's of thousands more probably looked at), 76 are PR70's.

Slowly rising, but still a very large percentage of below PR70 that people paid a lot of money for grading thinking they had a good chance for 70.

The PR69's are selling for around $10 so most all those PR69's sent in and slabbed are losses even with some grading discounts.

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of a group of 12 NGC pr70s, 3 did not have the obverse bust scuffs. Unbelievable QC here -- some were very obvious. I'm waiting on a batch of PCGS pf69s to come in and compare before considering a crossover attempt.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

2018-S Silver Block Island Park Quarter Reverse Proof PR70 PCGS First Strike SF
    $700.00
    28 bids | Ends in 2d 3hrs

And heeerrrr we go again................

Watching these things launch off is more fun than buying multiple raw sets from the honorable US Mint. The Mint did me a favor a while ago by putting my countdown sets on backorder. And since I yanked my Credit Card off the website the habit might finally be over.

@Goldminers said:
    Currently the set data PCGS shows is of 1,779 PCGS Block reverse quarters slabbed (out of 10's of thousands more probably looked at), 76 are PR70's.

Slowly rising, but still a very large percentage of below PR70 that people paid a lot of money for grading thinking they had a good chance for 70.

The PR69's are selling for around $10 so most all those PR69's sent in and slabbed are losses even with some grading discounts.

Hard to know. They pay maybe $6 each to slab. They also pay around $3 not to slab. But then they very $1000+ if they get one 70.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

they are not 10 dollars anymore, lccoins just raised the price to 13 each

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:

Whaaaaaaat? :o:o:o:o:o I knew I should of gotten 20 of them.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Will we see the day when a Block Reverse Silver Quarter is valued by how FEW scratches are on Georges Neck? I remember one I have where only 3 micro scratches are there. Is it an easy ATS PF70? Might be worth at least maybe $15.00 ?

Oh the joy !

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't worry they will probably come back down. There are 1,710 of them.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

@Gluggo said:

@coinpalice said:

Whaaaaaaat? :o:o:o:o:o I knew I should of gotten 20 of them.

Why are you complaining? For the first time ever, a Mint product you bought went UP! :wink:

@CoinCrazyPA said:
    I wouldn't worry they will probably come back down. There are 1,710 of them.

It's an interesting question. At least in the short term, the trajectory may still be up. PCGS 69 sets are still available for as low as $150. Meanwhile the raw sets are at $70 and climbing. If the raw sets get to $100, as some dealers believe, then what are the PCGS 69 sets worth? The true collectors can't get one of their own into a slab for the $13 cost of the already slabbed 69 coins.

@FullStrike said:
    Will we see the day when a Block Reverse Silver Quarter is valued by how FEW scratches are on Georges Neck? I remember one I have where only 3 micro scratches are there. Is it an easy ATS PF70? Might be worth at least maybe $15.00 ?

Oh the joy !

I think we're already there. That is the 69/70 distinction. It just sort of bothers me that they are allowing any micro marks on the 70s when they are in such a focal point.

edited September 1, 2018 6:57AM

Maybe the reason the Mint seems to have minted less that 1% of these Block quarters in 70 quality is because they anticipated only the top 1% incomes in the country could afford it? ;)

• WALLEWALLE Posts: 247 ✭✭✭✭

Seen this today on coin world website ( published 8/31/18 )

PCGS Population Report
    The PCGS Population Report indicates the following:
    Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore quarter dollar, 1,863 submissions: Proof 70 (385), Proof 69 (1,473), Proof 68 (5).
    Apostle Islands National Lakeshore quarter dollar, 1,870 submissions: Proof 70 (235), Proof 69 (1,631), Proof 68 (3), Proof 65 (1).
    Voyageurs National Park quarter dollar, 1,857 submissions: Proof 70 (255), Proof 69 (1,595), Proof 68 (7).
    Cumberland Island National Seashore quarter dollar, 1,858 submissions: Proof 70 (346), Proof 69 (1,510), Proof 68 (2).
    Block Island National Wildlife Refuge quarter dollar, 1,653 total submissions: Proof 70 (74), Proof 69 (1,567), Proof 68 (9), Proof 67 (3).
    Lincoln cent, total submissions, 29: Proof 70 red (6), Proof 69 (23).
    Jefferson 5-cent coin, total submissions, 29: Proof 70 (10), Proof 69 (19).
    Roosevelt dime, total submissions, 27: Proof 70 (9), Proof 69 (17), Proof 68 (1).
    Kennedy half dollar, total submissions, 29: Proof 70 (12), Proof 69 (14), Proof 68 (3).
    Native American dollar, total submissions, 28: Proof 70 (1), Proof 69 (23), Proof 68 (4).

NGC Census Report
    NGC provided only the number of coins it graded Proof 70 and Proof 69 for each of the coins in the set.
    Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore quarter dollar: Proof 70 (4,279), Proof 69 (1,124).
    Apostle Islands National Lakeshore quarter dollar: Proof 70 (4,214), Proof 69 (1,288)
    Voyageurs National Park quarter dollar, Proof 70 (3,883), Proof 69 (1,174).
    Cumberland Island National Seashore quarter dollar: Proof 70 (4,096), Proof 69 (1,109).
    Block Island National Wildlife Refuge quarter dollar: Proof 70 (3,865), Proof 69 (1,337).
    Lincoln cent: Proof 70 red (5,537), Proof 69 red (1,252).
    Jefferson 5-cent coin: Proof 70 (4,408), Proof 69 (1,285).
    Roosevelt dime: Proof 70 (4,209), Proof 69 (1,010).
    Kennedy half dollar: Proof 70 (6,816), Proof 69 (1,941).
    Native American dollar, Proof 70: (3,674), Proof 69 (1,989).

ANACS Population Report
    ANACS provided details on only the number of coins graded Proof 70 for each coin in the set.
    Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore quarter dollar: Proof 70 (3,415).
    Apostle Islands National Lakeshore quarter dollar: Proof 70 (3,460).
    Voyageurs National Park quarter dollar: Proof 70 (3,413).
    Cumberland Island National Seashore quarter dollar: Proof 70 (3,445).
    Block Island National Wildlife Refuge quarter dollar: Proof 70 (3,408).
    Lincoln cent, Proof 70: (4,381).
    Jefferson 5-cent coin: Proof 70 (3,879).
    Roosevelt dime: Proof 70 (4,370).
    Kennedy half dollar: Proof 70 (4,323).
    Native American dollar: Proof 70 (4,394).

WALLE,
    Thanks for the post from Coin World, but I think some of these numbers do not make any sense.

If they were right then I must own the only single Proof 70 PCGS Native American dollar as it shows a population of one. LOL

@Goldminers said:
    WALLE,
    Thanks for the post from Coin World, but I think some of these numbers do not make any sense.

If they were right then I must own the only single Proof 70 PCGS Native American dollar as it shows a population of one. LOL

There's actually more than one on eBay.

Everything after the quarters on the PCGS report makes no sense.

Also, please remember that "submissions" doesn't mean "submissions", it means "submitted AND graded". There were likely far more submitted than that.

I also find the NGC "submission" numbers extraordinary relative to PCGS

edited September 1, 2018 8:02AM

@Goldminers said:
    WALLE,

You are correct the numbers posted for pcgs don’t tally right, however if you type in your PR70 Native American Cert numer you should get the correct total...it must pull that total from a different dB than the ones these are pulled from as far as I can tell....either way....the dollar and block island quarter have no where near the PR70s that NGC or Anacs does.....we still haven’t broken a hundred and I now concede we will but not say 250 imo. that’s not a lot out of 200,000.

Don't quote me on that.

edited September 1, 2018 8:19AM

Currently there are 94 PCGS PR70 Native American reverse proof coins slabbed according to my PCGS inventory numbers that is why I said LOL on the numbers above. Edited to say the remaining one at auction on eBay will go for way more than people expect tomorrow as some people have gone reverse coin crazy.

I do not believe any of the NGC numbers, and I have yet to see them posted on the NGC census site, only the regular proofs. If they are right then NGC is grading a huge number of 69's as 70's.

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2018 8:41AM

Yup...those numbers for NGC are not on the pop site (proofs are) BUT there are numbers (under "variety") that are a bit weird for the RP Block Island....62 of 62 are 70's (10- First Release, 52 Early release)

Weird because:
    ..62 as a total number makes no sense
    ..62 as all 70's makes no sense

Numbers from both companies are lagging way behind...waaaaay behind...don't put your bet on the numbers you see (or don't see) staying that way for long

The numbers to the far right are under "70"

@BigA said:
    Yup...those numbers for NGC are not on the pop site (proofs are) BUT there are numbers (under "variety") that are a bit weird for the RP Block Island....62 of 62 are 70's (10- First Release, 52 Early release)

Weird because:
    ..62 as a total number makes no sense
    ..62 as all 70's makes no sense

Numbers from both companies are lagging way behind...waaaaay behind...don't put your bet on the numbers you see (or don't see) staying that way for long

The numbers to the far right are under "70"

If the big boys submitted them as 70 only, the numbers makes sense

"If the big boys submitted them as 70 only, the numbers makes sense"

Trouble with that is there are 100's of NGC 69's slabbed not in the totals.

The pops are way behind and very misleading to some. I think many forget that it takes a couple weeks to get a modern coin graded at PCGS and returned. There are a lot in their bins already waiting to be graded as we speak.

@Goldminers said:
    "If the big boys submitted them as 70 only, the numbers makes sense"

Trouble with that is there are 100's of NGC 69's slabbed not in the totals.

The pops are way behind and very misleading to some. I think many forget that it takes a couple weeks to get a modern coin graded at PCGS and returned. There are a lot in their bins already waiting to be graded as we speak.

I only throw that out there because it is an option. And I know at least one PCGS bulk submitter who did submit that way.

Even with the NGC totals, there are far more 70s than 69s. Is that because they graded more 70s than 69s or because of bulk submitters refusing to accept 69s. I think it is more the latter than the former.

Just another reason to be careful reading pop reports.

Interesting Reverse Proof fact #1:

There's only one listing below $70 on the raw sets as of this morning - and that's at $69.95.

Prediction:
    We're heading for $100, at least in the near term.

Interesting Reverse Proof fact #2:

I got 7 orders in today for a total of 29 sets. 27 of them are the "light finish" Kennedy variety. Again, is that because they mucked up the first die and used the first coins as the overproduction set aside or because these are returns and everyone rejected the "light finish" Kennedy?

Prediction: Prices on these may weaken unless/until a TPGS finally recognizes them as a legitimate variety.

Interesting Reverse Proof Fact #3:

I continue to sell quarter sets in multiples. Block island treasure hunt? I sold about 40 sets this week, but 75% of them were in blocks of 4 to 8 units.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't fathom paying that kind of money for a modern quarter. Good luck to those of you who are buying them!

@jwitten said:
    I can't fathom paying that kind of money for a modern quarter. Good luck to those of you who are buying them!

You mean you’d rather buy an ounce of gold instead of Block Island quarter?
    Hahaha...you are just plain sane..

Don't quote me on that.

@dmwest said:

@jwitten said:

What I find interesting is based on another thread, it appears some bought this around $1,500 and actually are gambling they will be able to flip it even higher from there. There was a tulip bubble, Florida swamp land bubble, dot com bubble, and now possibly a Block quarter bubble.

The Sacajawea/Thorpe reverse dollar bubble may be starting. Seeing a couple trial balloons around $500 range. Glad I do not really collect them, because I try to stick with Au, Ag, Pt, or Pd, so my nice brass PCGS PR70 is waiting to see how the bids go this weekend before selling it.

@Goldminers said:

@dmwest said:

@jwitten said:

What I find interesting is based on another thread, it appears some bought this around $1,500 and actually are gambling they will be able to flip it even higher from there. There was a tulip bubble, Florida swamp land bubble, dot com bubble, and now possibly a Block quarter bubble.

The Sacajawea/Thorpe reverse dollar bubble may be starting. Seeing a couple trial balloons around $500 range. Glad I do not really collect them, because I try to stick with Au, Ag, Pt, or Pd, so my nice brass PCGS PR70 is waiting to see how the bids go this weekend before selling it.

Hard to know. I wouldn't bet on higher prices. On the other hand, I wouldn't bet against higher prices either.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2018 12:38PM

Interesting. It will be exciting to see where these are in a month, in three months and six months given that the population will certainly increase.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

@MilesWaits said:
    Interesting. It will be exciting to see where these are in a month, in three months and six months given that the population will certainly increase.

Yes, it has been an interesting set for the past month. I don't think the fun's over.

Currently published population numbers by PCGS: (be aware of all the usual population disclaimers)

2018-S reverse Block quarter 79 PR70 and 1749 69's slabbed

2018-S reverse Sacajawea/Thorpe 94 PR70 and 1766 69's slabbed

The above number proportions are fairly similar. Both are very hard to find for sure in PR70. Basically impossible to know how many want to buy these and future populations, but the prices for PR70's are currently really different considering what numbers of them are available.

@Goldminers said:
    Currently published population numbers by PCGS: (be aware of all the usual population disclaimers)

The above number proportions are fairly similar. Both are very hard to find for sure in PR70. Basically impossible to know how many want to buy these and future populations, but the prices for PR70's are currently really different considering what numbers of them are available.

I’ve got a full set that I’m gonna sell for $10,000 - just need to find that person PT Barnum was talking about :)

Don't quote me on that.

@dmwest said:

I’ve got a full set that I’m gonna sell for $10,000 - just need to find that person PT Barnum was talking about :)

Well if you wait a minute longer you might get lucky.

@Goldminers said:

Well, they are starting to get closer. Block quarters at $1500, Sacs at $500

But the missing number above is the relative number of collectors for each series.

@Goldminers said:

@dmwest said:

Well if you wait a minute longer you might get lucky.

Yes, it's all about timing. Oft forgotten in the "tulip mania" that everyone likes to throw out there is that someone made a lot of money on the way up! And, frankly, someone made a lot of money on the way down.

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

84 is the new number of Block 70"s

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2018 2:16PM

...and growing...BUT still a significant ratio 69/70

edited September 1, 2018 2:49PM

@CoinCrazyPA said:

84 is the new number of Block 70"s

I just checked CoinFacts after seeing your post and now see even 3 more at 87 PR70s and 1780 69's. Working weekends?

Edited to say I am using coin #679995 which includes all label varieties.

The Sacajawea still 94. At this rate the Sacajawea may end up being the lowest pop PR70 in this set for a while.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldminers said:

But the missing number above is the relative number of collectors for each series.

What I can see is there are 50 top #1 registry sets collecting only PR70 PCGS Sacajawea proofs and it looks like only 3 have purchased and received their Reverse Proof 70 coin numbers and upgraded their sets so far. I am not sure why? Maybe many are just waiting to see what happens, but at some point, they will buy.

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldminers said:

What I can see is there are 50 top #1 registry sets collecting only PR70 PCGS Sacajawea proofs and it looks like only 3 have purchased and received their Reverse Proof 70 coin numbers and upgraded their sets so far. I am not sure why? Maybe many are just waiting to see what happens, but at some point, they will buy.

May mean the next run will be Sacs. PCGS should get ready for a couple thousand of those showing up.

@jmlanzaf said:
    May mean the next run will be Sacs. PCGS should get ready for a couple thousand of those showing up.

Very possible. Actually I wish a few thousand more would send them in because my CLCT stock is still underwater and they need to grade more to help pay for the brand new building and dividend. ;)

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

Any idea what's keeping the PR70 Sac number down? Maybe a rim issue? Something with the edge lettering/stars? I haven't cracked any out yet so it's hard for me to tell.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file