Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC) (Sold out...)

Comments

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would you be willing to pay for an NGC 70 light finish Kennedy vs. a PCGS (although not identified as such on the slab)?

I'm considering buying a nice slabbed specimen.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    What would you be willing to pay for an NGC 70 light finish Kennedy vs. a PCGS (although not identified as such on the slab)?

I'm considering buying a nice slabbed specimen.

I would not buy the PCGS coin as anything but a regular Kennedy. At best, I'd have to pay to cross it if PCGS changed their mind. At worst, I'd be constantly explainingto people what it is.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Block Island 70 pop is up to 213 today.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

What's the Sac 70 pop up to?

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

All still low pops on a 200,000 montage. I have a complete set and if it doesn’t sell at the price I have it I’ll hold onto it.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:
    All still low pops on a 200,000 montage. I have a complete set and if it doesn’t sell at the price I have it I’ll hold onto it.

Not a bad set to hold onto only time will tell how they do but If I was a gambling person, I would gamble that the odds are on your side.

• Options

Someone picked up my UPS package with my latest shipment. Effers. Worse than losing the 30 sets is dealing with the bureaucracy. I'm sure glad someone signed my name.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Someone picked up my UPS package with my latest shipment. Effers. Worse than losing the 30 sets is dealing with the bureaucracy. I'm sure glad someone signed my name.

that sucks. it is why most of my neighborhood installed Ring/Nest cameras. We had a slew of packages being stolen so a large number of us got cameras. Now we've had some thieves trolling the driveways looking for unlocked cars caught on camera.....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

that sucks. it is why most of my neighborhood installed Ring/Nest cameras. We had a slew of packages being stolen so a large number of us got cameras. Now we've had some thieves trolling the driveways looking for unlocked cars caught on camera.....

Yeah, well in this case THEY PICKED IT UP AT THE UPS CENTER. LOL. And, of course, the Mint ships SIGNATURE REQUIRED.

Oddly, Apmex just ships 1st class and I've had as much as $5000 in gold sitting on my front steps and no one ever touched it. UPS has a SIGNATURE REQUIRED package AT THEIR HUB, and someone signs for it and takes it. LOL.

I suppose, if I wanted to spend even more time on this, I should notify all the local coin shops.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Good grief....what the?? Are these gone for good? Will you be able to recoup your cost from the UPS? This really ticks me off.

• Options

@Onastone said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Good grief....what the?? Are these gone for good? Will you be able to recoup your cost from the UPS? This really ticks me off.

Time will tell. I'm waiting on the phone call from UPS. I have to wait 24 hours to file a claim. I have to go down their to pick up my other package (Palladium proof), if it's still there (LOL), so I can yell at them in person.

• Options

OK, this is kind of funny. UPS found my package. LOL. My SIGNATURE REQUIRED package, that is supposed to be HELD AT THE HUB instead was delivered to Barnes & Noble. I wonder if they are trying to figure out what shelf to put them on.

The good news is, the coins aren't lost. The bad news is, Lord knows how easy it will be to reacquire them.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been told that the block island 70 pops are low compared to the number of 69's and compared to the other coins in that set. Also the thousands that were pre screened that did not make the cut and not reflected in the pop numbers is an important consideration with this coin.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018 10:21PM

And I thought I had problems! But .... aside from the US Mint Returns Dept stealing a 2015 1 oz BU Gold Eagle , it hasn't been TOO bad. As far as those CSR Reps at the Mint.... they seem to know their name ( their own name -Tanisha, Tyrone, Shanita , etc ). ....... beyond that forget it. Like talking to former upgraded Fast Food Counter People without a clue about........... A N Y T H I N G !

• Options
    edited September 14, 2018 11:17AM

@thebigeng said:
    I have been told that the block island 70 pops are low compared to the number of 69's and compared to the other coins in that set. Also the thousands that were pre screened that did not make the cut and not reflected in the pop numbers is an important consideration with this coin.

Yes, this is the information we never have that is critically important in assessing true condition rarity value of modern coins. If, as the numbers seem to show, 1964 in 69 vs 219 in 70, that makes it seem like 10% of the coins submitted are 70s. If actual submissions are double that with the pre-screen then it is 219 out of 4000+ rather than 219 out of 2183. And that's after the submitter pre-screened the pre-screen. So if you really want a 70, to get one in a slab yourself either requires being very lucky or buying as many as 40 or 50 sets. That makes the value much higher. You need to submit maybe 20 to get 1, but you might have to screen 50+ to find 20 to get 1.

1 out of 50 is a 2% yield of 70s. And you had to pay to submit 20 to get 1.

I don't know that Block Island is a $1000 coin forever. But an RP70 Block Island coin is unlikely to be a $20 coin. It's just too hard/expensive to get them....well, unless you like trolleys.

• Options
    edited September 14, 2018 1:22PM

@thebigeng said:

Agree the reverse Block quarter has major problems with quality, however, regarding other silver coins in the set:

The reverse proof 2018-S PR70 Voyagers has a pop of 450 and sales in the $10-$30 range.

The reverse proof 2018-S PR70 Apostle has a pop of 406 and sales in the $27-$30 range.

The regular proof 2018-S PR70 Block Island quarter with a current pop of 254 in PR70 sells for around $150.

The reverse proof 2018-S PR70 Block Island currently has 219 graded in PR70 and sales of $869-$1501.

There are Gearheads, Deadheads, and now Blockheads comes to mind. ;) pun intended...

Edited to add, please don't take it personal, I bought one early to keep my set complete...but IMO they are not $1,000 coins.

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@thebigeng said:

Agree the reverse Block quarter has major problems with quality, however, regarding other silver coins in the set:

The reverse proof 2018-S PR70 Voyagers has a pop of 450 and sales in the $10-$30 range.

The reverse proof 2018-S PR70 Apostle has a pop of 406 and sales in the $27-$30 range.

The regular proof 2018-S PR70 Block Island quarter with a current pop of 254 in PR70 sells for around $150.

The reverse proof 2018-S PR70 Block Island currently has 219 graded in PR70 and sales of $869-$1501.

There are Gearheads, Deadheads, and now Blockheads comes to mind. ;) pun intended...

Edited to add, please don't take it personal, I bought one early to keep my set complete...but IMO they are not $1,000 coins.

I'm not sure you can compare the regular proof to the reverse proof. While the supply side may be similar, the demand side might be very different.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

I'm not sure you can compare the regular proof to the reverse proof. While the supply side may be similar, the demand side might be very different.

Totally agree the reverses are special and will have higher pricing, I did show 2 of the other reverses with next lower pops, but since the regular Block is also selling well above normal and is the second lowest pop currently of the entire Washington Quarters Basic set, Silver Proof 1999-present, it is worth noting.

When I tried to buy the set of five regular proofs in PR70 after they came out I could not even find the regular Block except in PR69, for almost 3 months!

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Totally agree the reverses are special and will have higher pricing, I did show 2 of the other reverses with next lower pops, but since the regular Block is also selling well above normal and is the second lowest pop currently of the entire Washington Quarters Basic set, Silver Proof 1999-present, it is worth noting.

When I tried to buy the set of five regular proofs in PR70 after they came out I could not even find the regular Block except in PR69, for almost 3 months!

I know. It's weird. Makes you wonder how few registry sets there are that include proofs.

• Options
    edited September 14, 2018 2:35PM

I believe some people are buying these, just because they see or hear that others are buying them, and think they will miss out on something if they don't join the herd. Momentum trades in some Internet stocks or crypto-currencies seem similar.

Eventually it settles down to people who actually collect the coins, or want to hold them for perceived long term future upside.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    I believe some people are buying these, just because they see or hear that others are buying them, and think they will miss out on something if they don't join the herd. Momentum trades in some Internet stocks or crypto-currencies seem similar.

Eventually it settles down to people who actually collect the coins, or want to hold them for perceived long term future upside.

Totally agree.

But there are also people waiting for the price to come down who eventually lose patience and jump in.

With a supply that is still minuscule and a large price, there is the possibility for price swings in either direction.

I know it is anathema to classic collectors to say this. But imagine a classic coin with an availability of 500 or less. In a popular series, $1000 would seem cheap. I wouldn't want it, especially relative to a more common 69. But I think classic collectors underestimate the market conditions around registry sets.

They've issued so many quarters, that may also dampen enthusiasm. But imagine it was the Lincoln or Kennedy rather than the Block Island coin.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were on sale this morning- Saturday Sept 15'th!!!! For all of 90seconds. I was able to snag 3. 60468XX Not sure how many there were or how many will be left now. Your tips of having them in the basket and ready on the checkout buttons worked! :)

• Options

@Onastone said:
    They were on sale this morning- Saturday Sept 15'th!!!! For all of 90seconds. I was able to snag 3. 60468XX Not sure how many there were or how many will be left now. Your tips of having them in the basket and ready on the checkout buttons worked! :)

There were 12. I got the last 3.

• Options

Last reverse Block quarter in PR 70 just sold for $622.50 on eBay, a little less than $1,500.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    Last reverse Block quarter in PR 70 just sold for $622.50 on eBay, a little less than $1,500.

It’s just a temporary low due to the Palladium Pandomonium currently overtaking the community.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2018 6:24PM

Monster CM’s Block Island coin closes in 5 minutes and is at $729. So, I am surprised to hear of a $622.50 sale. Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

And... closed at $863.50 with (4) unique bidders over $700 and (2) over $850.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

temporary.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    And... closed at $863.50 with (4) unique bidders over $700 and (2) over $850.

Wondercoin

Maybe Justin gets a premium because they are better quality 70's. :)

• Options

It's a weird world out there.

I'm currently selling the quarter sets raw with the COA at $22.99 each. I had one with a scratched lens, so I listed it as an auction starting at $14.99 with no COA....it sold for $23.05 right opposite the Buy It Now's at $22.99 each.

Last week, I had a half with a freckled cheek. I've been selling the raw ones for $24.99 with free shipping. I ran an auction on the spotted coin...and it sold for $23.50+$3.00 shipping

People just assume that auctions are wholesale or something.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    It's a weird world out there.

I'm currently selling the quarter sets raw with the COA at $22.99 each. I had one with a scratched lens, so I listed it as an auction starting at $14.99 with no COA....it sold for $23.05 right opposite the Buy It Now's at $22.99 each.

Last week, I had a half with a freckled cheek. I've been selling the raw ones for $24.99 with free shipping. I ran an auction on the spotted coin...and it sold for $23.50+$3.00 shipping

People just assume that auctions are wholesale or something.

The first buyer probably needs glasses, and maybe Peppermint Patty got the second one.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    In stock at LC for $700.

I'm surprised they aren't asking more. We may soon get to $700, but why be the first one there?

• Options

Maybe they need to move the reverses out of inventory soon to get cash flow for the Palladiums?

• Options

Does anyone know more about the Mint offering of "Limited Edition Proof Set, San Francisco" Scheduled for Oct 18th?
    Are the actual coins going to be any different than the 2018 regular clad, silver, or reverse proof sets already sold?
    How many of these 2018 set variations are there?

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    Does anyone know more about the Mint offering of "Limited Edition Proof Set, San Francisco" Scheduled for Oct 18th?
    Are the actual coins going to be any different than the 2018 regular clad, silver, or reverse proof sets already sold?

They usually put a silver eagle in there. That's usually the only difference, I believe.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Yup...and since the S ASE Proof was released on its own the set won't have much going for it

• Options

@BigA said:
    Yup...and since the S ASE Proof was released on its own the set won't have much going for it

Well, unless they do a no mintmark version or something

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BigA said:

That's what I thought they would do, in order to sell the set....but who knows...

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2018 9:36AM

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BigA said:

That's what I thought they would do, in order to sell the set....but who knows...

I'm kind of surprised we have no information.

Apmex says proof W

https://www.apmex.com/product/153465/2018-limited-edition-silver-proof-set

• Options

Just curious but...NGC finally recognized the light finish variant weeks after they were shipped out...fine..but how are there First Day of Issue light finish labels out there for this same coin

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

(My apologies, I always post this at least once a year...)

Nope. Not only is there nothing special about the set, but you'll get to pay a 25-30% premium (over a proof eagle and silver proof set) for the packaging. It is, essentially, an S-mint proof eagle and a silver proof set, and you don't even get the proof cent, nickel and dollar.

The only year these were even close to worth it, was when they first struck the S-mint eagle a couple of years ago. (A 125K mintage.)

Thank goodness I never started collecting these, otherwise my OCD would require me to get one every year... :D

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:
    Just curious but...NGC finally recognized the light finish variant weeks after they were shipped out...fine..but how are there First Day of Issue light finish labels out there for this same coin

Re-submission for the attribute?

• Options

@BigA said:

Reholders?

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Goldminers said:

(My apologies, I always post this at least once a year...)

Nope. Not only is there nothing special about the set, but you'll get to pay a 25-30% premium (over a proof eagle and silver proof set) for the packaging. It is, essentially, an S-mint proof eagle and a silver proof set, and you don't even get the proof cent, nickel and dollar.

The only year these were even close to worth it, was when they first struck the S-mint eagle a couple of years ago. (A 125K mintage.)

Thank goodness I never started collecting these, otherwise my OCD would require me to get one every year... :D

THE apmex listing says W Mint eagle. Are they in error?

• Options

4 available this morning

• Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

I was checking out with 1 and then it went to unavailable. Its still in my shopping cart. I'll try again tomorrow morning

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BigA said:

Well the Mint says San Fran sooooo I would go with that

Limited Edition Silver Proof Set 2018

https://catalog.usmint.gov/limited-edition-silver-proof-set-2018-18RC.html
    SAN FRANCISCO (S)

• Options

@BigA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BigA said:

Well the Mint says San Fran sooooo I would go with that

Limited Edition Silver Proof Set 2018

https://catalog.usmint.gov/limited-edition-silver-proof-set-2018-18RC.html
    SAN FRANCISCO (S)

Probably, but that's a pretty sparse listing. Are we assuming the "S" at the top is all-powerful? :smile:

The good news is we don't have to buy one if that's the case!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file