Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC) (Sold out...)

Comments

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a couple NGC 70 sets and got $55 in Ebay Bucks back....

• Options
    radiomanradioman Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Available this morning
    San Francisco Mint 2018 Silver Reverse Proof Set
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/san-francisco-mint-2018-silver-reverse-proof-set-18XC.html
    San Francisco (S)
    $54.95
    Qty: Add to Bag

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 956 ✭✭✭✭

Can we get a bulk dealer to check the total available? I could put 100 in my cart.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have the pop on Block Island 70,s from PCGS and NGC? Seems they are plentiful in NGC 70. Also what percentage seem to be grading out at 70 from both. I am hearing about 5% seem to be grading at 70 from PCGS.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dennis1219 said:
    Does anybody have the pop on Block Island 70,s from PCGS and NGC? Seems they are plentiful in NGC 70. Also what percentage seem to be grading out at 70 from both. I am hearing about 5% seem to be grading at 70 from PCGS.

It's well under 5% at PCGS. Closer to 2%.

NGC, you're guess is as good as any.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dennis1219 said:

I do not see a way to see the pops on the NGC site for the reverse coins yet, they do have pops for the regulars.

But regardless of percentages, there are not any NGC PF70's reverse Blocks for sale currently on eBay that I see separate from complete sets, so I would not say they are "plentiful" at this stage.

I suspect they all vanished, and will soon be on the way to PCGS for crossover review...

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gone. Bye, bye.

See you in a couple of days at 7:30...

• Options

I have yet to see a complete PCGS PF70 set on ebay....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@radioman said:
    Available this morning
    San Francisco Mint 2018 Silver Reverse Proof Set
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/san-francisco-mint-2018-silver-reverse-proof-set-18XC.html
    San Francisco (S)
    $54.95
    Qty: Add to Bag

Not anymore ;)

"This product is currently unavailable. Learn More"

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Gone. Bye, bye.

See you in a couple of days at 7:30...

you sound like my ex ex girlfriend......

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

I pulled my Credit Card info off the US Mint website yesterday. Gonna shut it all down soon. There's more things to worry about that are more important than Modern Chaff.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for that link Bochiman. It has a good comparison photo.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Bochiman for the link --

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

Over 100 available yesterday and went fast....

Ordered a few this am and 35 left after my order

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am wondering if all they are selling at this point is all the rejected sets that past customers sent back? Not saying it is just wondering. Looks like I ended up buying a total of 8 sets all in unopen boxes for sending off later this or next year to PCGS for grading.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

probably either returns or declined credit cards or just plain bad math

• Options

I vote credit issues BUT if they suck they they will just be returned by me...not an issue. No risk....

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

The speculation is both

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Proudly bought the last 1 to go unavailable. Lol

My latest orders continue to have a large percentage of the flat finish. It did make me wonder if they had been returned because of the flat finish.

Generally, I think it is too soon for returns. They have to inspect them and it never seems like a high priority

• Options

@Elemint said:

If you get one of these and don't buy it immediately, they will be sold out...again.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/san-francisco-mint-2018-silver-reverse-proof-set-18XC.html?pid=18XC&cm_mmc=ExactTarget-_-

Its not sold out its unavailable. Once they are sold out thats it they wont be sold by the mint again or at least that is how its suppose to work. Right now as the product comes back from say cancelled credit card purchases or returns they become available again by the mint. Usually in the early mornings and then sell out during the day and become unavailable again. This will continue till the stock is completely sold out. At which the Mint will list there items as sold out.

I hope I got this right if I have got it wrong feel free to correct me. I am just a simple Walmart (deplorable) , type of guy.

• Options

That price seems a little high. But, at the moment:
    Block Island - $600
    Other 4 quarters - $160
    Sac - $175
    Kennedy - $125
    Lincoln - $125
    other two coins - $80

It would cost you almost $1300 to put together a set from pieces.

• Options

The Thorpe/Sacajawea is an interesting coin, and it has high spots in his cheek that got slightly scuffed or rubbed on most. I like the design and in PR70 they are very nice. I think they could go higher.

• Options
    edited August 25, 2018 5:26PM
  • Options

And I betcha can't tell the difference between the 69's vs 70's. If you say your can I bet if we put some in front of you here you wont be able to tell with the naked eye. Of course I don't have any to buy so I cant do this test.

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2018 6:10PM

@Goldminers said:
    The Thorpe/Sacajawea is an interesting coin, ...

I agree. I'm going to have to crack this one out sometime as I'm not sure what's going on with it. Could be something in the plastic giving me an illusion.

edited to add the pics. :D

• Options

Gluggo,

I recently looked at several NGC PF70's and they all had visible scratches on the Blocks, but only at the right angle and could be seen without magnification. The 69's are worse and flaws can be easily seen.

Yes, you can get 12 NGC 69 sets for the price of one PCGS PR70 set and it is unlikely a single 69 set out of 12 would upgrade to PR70 PCGS.

The 70's in PCGS will have a higher premium long term because they seem to be higher quality due to tougher graders based on the examples I see of this coin. However, even some of them have visible very faint scratches at higher magnification.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    The Thorpe/Sacajawea is an interesting coin, and it has high spots in his cheek that got slightly scuffed or rubbed on most. I like the design and in PR70 they are very nice. I think they could go higher.

They are also very tough in 70. But you know these moderns. There is a lot of "price discovery" early before they find their long-term level.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    Gluggo,

I recently looked at several NGC PF70's and they all had visible scratches on the Blocks, but only at the right angle and could be seen without magnification. The 69's are worse and flaws can be easily seen.

Yes, you can get 12 NGC 69 sets for the price of one PCGS PR70 set and it is unlikely a single 69 set out of 12 would upgrade to PR70 PCGS.

The 70's in PCGS will have a higher premium long term because they seem to be higher quality due to tougher graders based on the examples I see of this coin. However, even some of them have visible very faint scratches at higher magnification.

For most series, 69s in the long run aren't going to be much higher than raw sets. I'm not so sure here. I don't think even the yield on 69s is as high as it is for other issues. [And please don't quote me the 68 and 67 populations, those are fake. Every major bulk submitter sets a grading threshhold of either 69 or 70.] 70s will have a higher premium, but whether it is a $1300 set a year from now is questionable. But it is at least possible that a 69 set is still $150 set.

• Options

@smokincoin,

The rim on that Sacajawea is interesting. Makes me wonder if the rim machine had a fault and was worn unevenly. This might explain some of the scratches that developed on high coin spots if the rim was worn down vs design when it slides into the trays from the press.

Just a guess, but agree that rim is different.

• Options

That's in the plastic

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    That's in the plastic

Well you may be right, that it is in the plastic, but I would be tempted to open it up enough to see the coin first before deciding, as something seems a bit doubled on the rim, or uneven to me

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2018 11:30PM

It would be interesting to find out why / how the Kennedy obverse variety came to exist

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    I am wondering if all they are selling at this point is all the rejected sets that past customers sent back? Not saying it is just wondering. Looks like I ended up buying a total of 8 sets all in unopen boxes for sending off later this or next year to PCGS for grading.

The Mint has stated they don't sell returns.

What they have done, is overproduce (over the specified mintage) coins/coin sets, as replacement for those returned for defect. Once those are gone, you will get refunded, rather than replaced, if you return a set and request a replacement.

The exact over-production isn't known, but it's how more gold BBHOF commems got sold than the law allowed. (It was due to a snafu when moving their shipping facility from Indiana to Memphis.)

But that's how all of this came to light. They don't sell returns.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Proudly bought the last 1 to go unavailable. Lol

My latest orders continue to have a large percentage of the flat finish. It did make me wonder if they had been returned because of the flat finish.

Generally, I think it is too soon for returns. They have to inspect them and it never seems like a high priority

There was one bright idiot (who actually admitted on another blog), that he took an enhanced dollar out of a C&C set, replaced it with a circulation strike coin, and got a refund from the mint.

Not sure how far they actually inspect the returns. Probably to make sure the product was actually returned, but how close they inspect them is questionable.

• Options

There were a few available this AM ....didn't last long

• Options

@BigA said:
    There were a few available this AM ....didn't last long

This is the way it is supposed to work. Drib and drabs until official sell-out. We'll know more Tuesday.

• Options

Has anyone noted the "medium finish" Kennedy variety?

I had all these nice frosted "regular finish" ones an a few "flat finish" ones in my early deliveries. Lately, the frosty finish ones have been a minority. I have, instead, these dull finishes that aren't quite as flat as the ones I've been considering the variety, but not frosty.

• Options

I had an eBay customer suggest to me that the variety Kennedy looks exactly like a burnished Kennedy. Does anyone else out there have the same sense? They do kind of look like that. I've been staring at them so long, I have no perspective left. LOL.

Word on "the street" is that NGC is going to slab them as "light finish". Personally, not my favorite designation. "Burnished" would be better. I would also prefer "missing etch" or something. "Light finish" just sounds blah. I await confirmation of this rumor.

I have sold 5 pairs (one regular, one "light finish") on eBay over the last 2 days at $125 each. They fly off the shelf at that price, so I think maybe $150 is a better market number. With the regular at about $25, that makes the error a $100-$125 coin right now. If NGC slabs them as a variety, we could see a lot of excitement around these.

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    That's in the plastic

Well you may be right, that it is in the plastic, but I would be tempted to open it up enough to see the coin first before deciding, as something seems a bit doubled on the rim, or uneven to me

There isn't an "enough" on opening them. They are easy to open if done carefully. Unfortunately, the coin will have to be popped out of the plastic cup to check... that means finding a way to pop it back into the cup.

The lens that holds the coins can be opened carefully as follows:
    1. Lightly twist the lens
    2. Look for a corner to put a sharp, thin blade into
    3. Don't pry the corner all the way up or the plastic will crack
    4. Work the blade down to the next corner to pop the edge and corner up.
    5. Repeat for all 4 edges and corners.
    6. Then try to get one corner open, then the edge and next corner.
    7. You can keep the open edge open with the skin on you fingertip
    8. Continue opening the other 2 corners carefully

You do it right and the plastic won't crack and no one will know it was opened.

The plastic cups insert is flexible plastic. Flex it and the coin will pop out. Have something extremely gentle for the landing area. The high points are mirrored after all. Getting it firmly back in is the trick. Just turning the cup over and reseating it sometimes doesn't seat it well enough. Find something remarkably gentle to push on the edge to re-re-seat it.

Perhaps it won't need to go that far if angling the cup will cast a different shadow. There have been past cup defects that required coin removal to prove it is in the plastic.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    I had an eBay customer suggest to me that the variety Kennedy looks exactly like a burnished Kennedy. Does anyone else out there have the same sense? They do kind of look like that. I've been staring at them so long, I have no perspective left. LOL.

Word on "the street" is that NGC is going to slab them as "light finish". Personally, not my favorite designation. "Burnished" would be better. I would also prefer "missing etch" or something. "Light finish" just sounds blah. I await confirmation of this rumor.

I have sold 5 pairs (one regular, one "light finish") on eBay over the last 2 days at $125 each. They fly off the shelf at that price, so I think maybe $150 is a better market number. With the regular at about $25, that makes the error a $100-$125 coin right now. If NGC slabs them as a variety, we could see a lot of excitement around these.

jm that is so cool good for you! Keep on selling.

• Options

That one Block Island ends in a couple of hours...it's already at $642...curious what it ends at....not many Blocks out there and the ones that were priced to move have done been moved... :)

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

2018-S Silver Reverse Proof Quarter, Block Island, PCGS PR-70 First Strike Nice!
    $672.00
    47 bids | Ends in 33m 47s

Someone seems to like PF70.

• Options

Sold for $862. Almost $900 for a quarter.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

@dmwest said:

@dmwest said:

I think that is crazy, pop is now 50 and going up.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2018 8:16PM

@CoinCrazyPA said:

@dmwest said:

@dmwest said:

@dmwest said:

I think that is crazy, pop is now 50 and going up.

****Sold for $862. Almost $900 for a quarter****.****

Reminds me of the saying: "A fool and his money are soon parted." B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just picked up several ngc pf 70 blocks for $35 ea. That’s quite a HUGE disparity between certs.
    OH THE SANITY!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

2018 S 25C Silver Reverse Proof Block Island Quarter PCGS PR70 First Strike
    $395.00
    27 bids | Ends in 2d 16h

Well, here's another one ending soon. Let's see how this one will end. Higher, lower, the same level........... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file