Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC) (Sold out...)

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018 10:36AM

@Tunis said:
    I just purchased 3 more. Kind of an experiment to see if I get “sent back sets” this late in the game or do I get sets as nice as the first one I ordered. If they all are “inferior/damaged” then I will have an idea.

You will not get sent back sets this EARLY in the game. (IMHO) Canceled orders go right back into distribution. Returns have to be inspected first and that usually takes time. Most returns have barely gotten back there yet much less been inspected.

• Options
    edited August 21, 2018 11:42AM

@dmwest said:

@nurmaler said:

Thanks again @nurmaler. That's 1364 since yesterdays count......by Friday, its Unavailable.

It'll go Sunday....[Assuming I don't just buy 5000 myself to sell it out. ;) ]

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    @Goldminers said:
    I bought a Fox high relief silver from the Mongolian Mint and it was absolutely stunning, and yes, it graded 70.

Can we see a photo of this please? I don't think I've seen a Mongolian Mint product before.

This link is on this forum. The one I have is a PCGS PL70 and yes I know it is colorized (the only one I ever bought), but the high relief is twice as high as most and the actual coin is really amazing. It is just to show high quality does exist. @Goldbully posted an excellent picture of one in this link farther down.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12054100#Comment_12054100

• Options
    edited August 21, 2018 11:56AM

@dmwest said:

@Goldminers said:
    Yes the US Mint managed to "mint" 200,000 reverse proof coins and could not get even 1% of the Block island quarters in 70 condition because they have a "handling or tray" problem that obviously damages the coins mostly in the same place, so should be easy for a quality control person to see right away.

I would like to see a picture of one with the issue and one without......photos, I need photos. :)

DM,

See page 12 where I posted the photo of my example. All of mine had these scratches in the same spot to varying degrees. Easily seen by graders.
    Cheers

edited to add that my opinion is that the rim is not thick enough to prevent the lower part of the Block quarter bust sliding out of the press and getting scuffed, as it is the high part of the coin. Possible the other quarters had lower relief so were able to slide on the rim or had a higher rim?. Same with the Thorpe side of the Sac dollar on his cheek where it has similar scratches on most of them making 70's very tough to find.

Not major issue to most people, but enough damage to not get a real 70,as it is damage after minting in my opinion, and therefore not "as struck".

Also edited to add I can't take a picture of a good one for you, because I never got any, and because I can't find one for less than $380.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Goldminers. A state of the art coin.

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

They all just went away.

• Options

I was in the middle of grabbing 12 and hit the final Order type button ...... and they were no more.

Oh well. It happens.

• Options
    edited August 21, 2018 11:22AM

@FullStrike said:
    They all just went away.

Unavailable. Thanks for that!

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 956 ✭✭✭✭

@FullStrike said:
    I was in the middle of grabbing 12 and hit the final Order type button ...... and they were no more.

Oh well. It happens.

He's right...they went from 5000 available to "Remind Me" Status....whats up with that? Did JMlanzaf grab the last 5000? :)

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    edited August 21, 2018 11:35AM

Well I did get in 2 orders. Went for a 3rd one and it went poof before I could get it in. My last order was USM05992xxx , 1st was about 20 digits before that one. Anyone here grab the last 17? I was going for an even dozen (12) more and they were snatched out of my fingers. Oh well, it was fun. Making a last minute grab is always fun. LOL

• Options

@dmwest said:

@FullStrike said:

Oh well. It happens.

He's right...they went from 5000 available to "Remind Me" Status....whats up with that? Did JMlanzaf grab the last 5000? :)

Wasn't me, although I was considering another 50.

The good news - GREAT NEWS! - is that some major player stopped playing hard to get. That means someone has a stake in hyping these sets on the secondary market.

It might also mean that in the long run there could be more 70s. If this player is in the slabbing game, submissions will go up.

Hold on to your seats, it could be a wild ride!

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

it isn't official until BackroadJunkie updates the title

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 432 ✭✭✭✭

I am glad I purchased my last 3 sets, literally 3 1/2 hours ago. My order number was USM05992xxx also.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options

@nurmaler said:

ha! Are you saying you trust him more than the Mint itself?

• Options
    edited August 21, 2018 12:08PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@nurmaler said:

LOL, Are you saying you trust the Mint more than @BackroadJunkie?

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@nurmaler said:

LOL, Are you saying you trust the Mint more than @backroadJunkie?

I just asked the question. I made no statement. ;)

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:
    Thanks again @nurmaler. That's 1364 since yesterdays count......by Friday, its Unavailable.

So I win. ;)

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

So I win. ;)

LOL. Yes, you do! Although since I have 55 full sets and numerous pieces of sets, we both win! ;)

Although, to be fair, there's a chance I also get it right. It could come back again and then disappear Sunday.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    LOL. Yes, you do! Although since I have 55 full sets and numerous pieces of sets, we both win! ;)

Although, to be fair, there's a chance I also get it right. It could come back again and then disappear Sunday.

Wouldn’t it be funny if I bought 5000 sets just to able to make that post? ;)

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

It would be even funnier if the Mint then didn't let you cancel the order. :wink:

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018 12:49PM

I only bought 3 sets total. Curious to see what I get. Looks like they are all eligible for First Strike since these went on sale July 23.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

It would be even funnier if the Mint then didn't let you cancel the order. :wink:

Can I live under a house constructed of 2018 reverse proof sets? That would be my new mortgage.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

@pf70collector said:
    I only bought 3 sets total. Curious to see what I get. Looks like they are all eligible for First Strike since these went on sale July 23.

As long as their shipped by the 24th.....NGC ER is toast tomorrow (has to be there by then)

• Options

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Can I live under a house constructed of 2018 reverse proof sets? That would be my new mortgage.

That is why there are so many ads by Tom Selleck for reverse mortgages. At least you can get part of it back.

• Options
    edited August 21, 2018 1:08PM

@BigA said:

@pf70collector said:

As long as their shipped by the 24th.....NGC ER is toast tomorrow (has to be there by then)

Agree, I believe PCGS deadline is this Friday.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes Goldminer, Friday is the cutoff except for sealed boxes from the mint.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018 3:10PM

Huh.

(I didn't notice. I was watching Deadpool 2. :D )

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Huh.

(I didn't notice. I was watching Deadpool 2. :D )

Still no mint numbers yet, but I guess that's moot since it's unavailable.......maybe some returns pop up soon....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

quite a few sellers still selling in the 66 dollar area. I wonder if they know they are unavailable? sales have definitely picked up today

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of Reverse Proof coins, check out my son Justin’s latest story “The Lowest Mintage Dollar Coins in 111 years” just released under PCGS news. A flawlessly written account I must say, especially coming from a Chemistry major! Good job Justin! Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    Mint showing "8,849" sets in stock at this moment, but for some reason was allowing me to place a million dollar + order for nearly 20,000 sets? Of course, I did not push the button to buy the sets to actually see what would happen next! Wondercoin

At this point you read: Please push any key, thank you for your order, it is being processed!! "

• Options

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

It would have been cheaper and more appreciated if you did that with last year's EU set... ;)

• Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

After the discussion here about the Block quarter I checked my one set and sure enough there were the lines mentioned on the obverse. Oh well - I still like the set but if you have a clean one it may be worth submitting.

Jim

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    Speaking of Reverse Proof coins, check out my son Justin’s latest story “The Lowest Mintage Dollar Coins in 111 years” just released under PCGS news.

To make it easier to find, I posted the link as some of the text in it is relevant to this reverse proof set.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/the-lowest-mintage-dollar-coins-in-111-years

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

FTR...

Special Collectibles
    18XC
    2018 SF SILVER REVERSE PROOF SET
    08/19/2018

• Options

Yeah, probably meaningless....

2018 San Francisco Silver Reverse Proof Set
    DateSoldIncreaseComment
    7/24/2018106,108First day sales
    7/29/2018145,389145,389
    8/5/2018164,11918,730
    8/12/2018173,6229,503
    8/19/2018189,32515,703
  • Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Yeah, probably meaningless....

Actually, I think it's somewhat helpful. Since we know there were about 7500 left on Sunday, that means GROSS sales at that point were about 192,500. The fact that NET sales were 189,300 means that there were about 3,000 returns accepted at that point.

Now, how many pending returns are still out there we can't know. But we will see it reflected in numbers over the next couple of weeks.

I think this is going to be a very interesting set to watch for the next couple months. A box of 10 sets sold last night on eBay for $743. There are also some single set sales in the $65 region.

• Options

We should also start watching PCGS (NGC, if you want) pop reports. We need to be careful how we read them, but they also provide information that is helpful to slab collectors.

• Options

i left all my sets in sealed boxes, all are first strike eligible too. have 3 sealed boxes of 10 each and a sealed box of 2

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    i left all my sets in sealed boxes, all are first strike eligible too. have 3 sealed boxes of 10 each and a sealed box of 2

Now might be the time to sell.

Although, frankly, I would open them and check the Block Islands. Finding one 70 Block Island would likely better than any premium you'll get on the sealed boxes.

• Options

yeah, i am sure there will be returns coming , and a few sets will be put back up for sale by the mint, but they won't be first strike eligible. if sealed boxes of 10 are going for up to 743, that would be good enough for me

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    yeah, i am sure there will be returns coming , and a few sets will be put back up for sale by the mint, but they won't be first strike eligible. if sealed boxes of 10 are going for up to 743, that would be good enough for me

Sure, but if you can get $65 for opened boxes and $500 for a 70 Block Island....just saying. :wink:

• Options

wish i would of bought the block islands in 70 for 350 like you did :/

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    wish i would of bought the block islands in 70 for 350 like you did :/

leap of faith. I'm hoping to be out of them by Sunday. LOL. Although I would buy more at that number if I could find any.

• Options
    edited August 22, 2018 3:10PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    We should also start watching PCGS (NGC, if you want) pop reports. We need to be careful how we read them, but they also provide information that is helpful to slab collectors.

Good advice,

I try to watch these PCGS70 pops closely, but the "special labels" don't show up as fast as regular ones as far as I can tell in the numbers and they are not updated daily, as I see the same number a long time when I know some more were graded.

I bought a few NGC Block reverse quarter FDI 70's as an experiment, and I went to the NGC site and they do not show up with pops or certificate verification?!

I only bought them in hopes they look good for crossovers. I only collect PCGS70 unless I simply can't get one for what I want to pay or if think I see a better coin in an NGC holder. My NGC to PCGS crossover rate success is about 1 of 3.

Totally agree understanding 70 pop numbers is important. What is graded is a very small population of what is looked at first and many say do not slab, unless it is a 70 so they do not get counted. Even then with intense scrutiny, many coins come back 69's, that were being sent in for 70's to PCGS.

I would like to see the lighting arrangement in the grading room at PCGS as the only way I see some flaws on my many 69's I get back is with 2 different lighting frequencies and varying brightness, tilting and multiple looks with different magnification including sometimes as much as 10X. The PR69 PCGS block quarter I received, I still can't see why it is not a 70. No visible bust scratches, maybe one really hard to see tiny pit that was probably in the original planchet and not damaged after it was struck. No idea, but 70's are just hard to get.

Then once in a while one I get back has an obvious surface flaw and is slabbed a 70. It is not a perfect science.

• Options
    edited August 22, 2018 4:46PM

That is amazing, I wonder who will actually pay that type of price, and why so soon?

There must be 10's of thousands that have not even been looked at. Also, NGC seems to have quite a few 70's...

• Options

.> @Goldminers said:

That is amazing, I wonder who will actually pay that type of price, and why so soon?

There must be 10's of thousands that have not even been looked at. Also, NGC seems to have quite a few 70's...

I bet the PCGS totals for PR70 will be extremely low....maybe even less than 100?

Don't quote me on that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file