Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC) (Sold out...)

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:
    I don't think 20k out of a mintage of 200k is a number to ignore. The 08/07 ASE was north of 47k and that's doing pretty well

Time will tell.....

I really don't know what to do with them. I currently have 4 of them (out of about 90 sets) and I can't really sell them as regular- they look defective. On the other hand, it doesn't strike me as an error with much cache.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 956 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

I really don't know what to do with them. I currently have 4 of them (out of about 90 sets) and I can't really sell them as regular- they look defective. On the other hand, it doesn't strike me as an error with much cache.

I'll take them.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I'll take them.

Yeah, I may have to just sell them as they are. Now, if I only knew what they were worth... LOL

Are they worth more as an error? Are they worth less as a defect? Are they worth exactly the same because they just are what they are....?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

Are they worth more as an error? Are they worth less as a defect? Are they worth exactly the same because they just are what they are....?

yes.....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    RINATIONALSRINATIONALS Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

Well, if either service decides they're different enough to be a variety and holders as such sets are sold out in a day.......but then the returns situation turns into an EU set/Gold Mercury dime debacle. Having just seen one in hand it seems to me there IS enough difference to call it a distinct variety - but only if they all look like the one I just saw and that there isn't a shading degree between the two. Best scenario is set selling out and then variety recognized weeks later leaving no months long 20k overhang. At this point I'd certainly buy the 'error' halves at jmlanzafs $30 'regular' price point

buying Rhode Island Nationals please email, PM or call 401-295-3000
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

Just bought one set from the mint, since these are not grading 70s and it won't be easy to buy the 70s cheap for now.

• Options

@pf70collector said:
    Just bought one set from the mint, since these are not grading 70s and it won't be easy to buy the 70s cheap for now.

yes, the 69s are selling for $149 now on ebay. The 70s are still in the $300 range. I'm waiting on those to drop too.

D2

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@pf70collector said:

yes, the 69s are selling for $149 now on ebay. The 70s are still in the $300 range. I'm waiting on those to drop too.

D2

NGC 70s are 350. PCGS 70s are more like $500. Wondercoin is actually BUYING PCGS 70s at 450. I would not expect 70s to get cheap anytime soon

• Options

@RINATIONALS said:
    Well, if either service decides they're different enough to be a variety and holders as such sets are sold out in a day.......but then the returns situation turns into an EU set/Gold Mercury dime debacle. Having just seen one in hand it seems to me there IS enough difference to call it a distinct variety - but only if they all look like the one I just saw and that there isn't a shading degree between the two. Best scenario is set selling out and then variety recognized weeks later leaving no months long 20k overhang. At this point I'd certainly buy the 'error' halves at jmlanzafs $30 'regular' price point

LOL. Well, if you are buying them at my regular price, they aren't very special are they? :wink:

• Options
    RINATIONALSRINATIONALS Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

OK, just for you $31 each :)

buying Rhode Island Nationals please email, PM or call 401-295-3000
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    NGC 70s are 350. PCGS 70s are more like $500. Wondercoin is actually BUYING PCGS 70s at 450. I would not expect 70s to get cheap anytime soon

I haven't seen many PCGS sets on ebay yet, but I've seen individual PCGS 70 coins.....I thought maybe once multiple folks started getting PCGS sets back they would drop....but I've been wrong so many times before.... :)

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2018 1:10PM

"@dmwest said:
    » show previous quotes
    D2

NGC 70s are 350. PCGS 70s are more like $500. Wondercoin is actually BUYING PCGS 70s at 450. I would not expect 70s to get cheap anytime soon"

As I mentioned yesterday, my buy prices change daily (if not sometimes hourly) as "real time" information is processed. The Buy (and sell) prices can go up or down of course (sometimes significantly). That said (and for purposes of correcting mistaken information presented in this tread concerning the PCGS product), I would pay $475/set for a couple complete PCGS 70FS sets shipped out to me TODAY. If you have them (and can ship them), just PM me.

Wondercoin

edited to add ... back to paying $450 at 1:00 p.m. today.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2018 8:50AM

Good luck finding a PR70 PCGS reverse silver block island quarter. Every single one of mine out of 10 had obverse scratches at the base of the neck, some much worse than others. Some malfunction in the handling machine I believe.

Edited to add if you have one of these for sale, please PM me with your price.

• Options

Wondercoin,

Did you lose your two cents, or just forget to add them :)

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    "@dmwest said:
    » show previous quotes
    D2

NGC 70s are 350. PCGS 70s are more like $500. Wondercoin is actually BUYING PCGS 70s at 450. I would not expect 70s to get cheap anytime soon"

As I mentioned yesterday, my buy prices change daily (if not sometimes hourly) as "real time" information is processed. The Buy (and sell) prices can go up or down of course (sometimes significantly). That said (and for purposes of correcting mistaken information presented in this tread concerning the PCGS product), I would pay $475/set for a couple complete PCGS 70FS sets shipped out to me TODAY. If you have them (and can ship them), just PM me.

Wondercoin

Apologies if I spoke out of turn. I was just quoting your price as posted yesterday. Not trying to drum up business for you, just to illustrate that the actual sell price on PCGS sets would be at least $500

• Options

Wondercoin,

I lost a lot more than two cents with today’s metal quotes!

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

@wondercoin said:
    Wondercoin,

Wondercoin.

I was feeling the same way. My silver (so-called investment) has taken a real beating. Getting a lot harder to justify the mint premium on silver coins or medals these days.

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@wondercoin said:
    Wondercoin,

Wondercoin.

I was feeling the same way. My silver (so-called investment) has taken a real beating. Getting a lot harder to justify the mint premium on silver coins or medals these days.

Please, don't every buy Mint silver products because they are silver. You will almost never recover the premium. If you want to invest in silver, there are MANY more cost effective ways to do it.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big diff between a 69 and 70. whats the yield rate on these sets. Are we seeing any milk spots?

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@Kkathyl said:
    Big diff between a 69 and 70. whats the yield rate on these sets. Are we seeing any milk spots?

Yield is not good. Never is on reverse proofs for some production reason. I have not seen any milk spots - yet.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @jmlanzaf that is good to hear. have not heard from the show yet about them or the S Eagles

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well - I don't think 10% is an accurate number for possible "variety" Kennedy's. I just went through over 50 coins/sets and NO GO, zippo. These may be akin to the early P-Puck quarters that had "light finishes" as attributed by the TPGs for a nice premium. The 08 SAEs rev 07 variety was a great hunt too!!
    If there are decent quantities out there, why none listed on the Bay? PM me if you have a few to sell at a reasonable price (sorry for shameless plug). B)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

“Well - I don't think 10% is an accurate number for possible "variety" Kennedy's. I just went through over 50 coins/sets and NO GO, zippo.”

My personal estimate of 10% was based on the number of sets we reviewed. We will have a chance to see about (400) additional sets next week and will update our findings. Wondercoin.

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    “Well - I don't think 10% is an accurate number for possible "variety" Kennedy's. I just went through over 50 coins/sets and NO GO, zippo.”

My personal estimate of 10% was based on the number of sets we reviewed. We will have a chance to see about (400) additional sets next week and will update our findings. Wondercoin.

Actually, 10% may be a little high but I think it's in the ballpark. I've cracked open 90+ sets and I've found 5 "finish errors" - I still don't know what to call them.

• Options

@Akbeez said:
    Well - I don't think 10% is an accurate number for possible "variety" Kennedy's. I just went through over 50 coins/sets and NO GO, zippo. These may be akin to the early P-Puck quarters that had "light finishes" as attributed by the TPGs for a nice premium. The 08 SAEs rev 07 variety was a great hunt too!!
    If there are decent quantities out there, why none listed on the Bay? PM me if you have a few to sell at a reasonable price (sorry for shameless plug). B)

Actually, I'm going to put a pair up on eBay tonight to see if anyone actually cares about these.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the > @jmlanzaf said:

@Akbeez said:

Actually, I'm going to put a pair up on eBay tonight to see if anyone actually cares about these.

can you put up a link so we can see how they do after you put them up?

• Options

can you put up a link so we can see how they do after you put them up?

Of course. It's price discovery for all of us.

• Options

Here's the link. It has generated more interest than I would have expected this early.

https://ebay.com/itm/223105822052?ul_noapp=true

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2018 7:57AM

@jmlanzaf said:
    Here's the link. It has generated more interest than I would have expected this early.

Thank you for sharing and congrats. Sell them while they are hot you might want to keep one just in case. Not saying it would or how to do your business. Just thinking out loud.

I seen the pictures but was not paying that much attention to them. I will keep an eye out should I buy anymore.

• Options

@Gluggo said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Thank you for sharing and congrats. Sell them while they are hot you might want to keep one just in case. Not saying it would or how to do your business. Just thinking out loud.

I seen the pictures but was not paying that much attention to them. I will keep an eye out should I buy anymore.

Time will tell. I just conversed with another eBayer who bought 20 sets and got none. Then he bought 30 more sets and got THIRTEEN!

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

on to them. I will keep an eye out should I buy anymore.

Time will tell. I just conversed with another eBayer who bought 20 sets and got none. Then he bought 30 more sets and got THIRTEEN!

Maybe they are shipping them out in order they were minted? Maybe the sets they have left have a higher number of these "varieties"? I still would like to know how something thinks this occurs....a real geeky piece about dies and stri

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    edited August 17, 2018 9:08AM

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:

on to them. I will keep an eye out should I buy anymore.

Maybe they are shipping them out in order they were minted? Maybe the sets they have left have a higher number of these "varieties"? I still would like to know how something thinks this occurs....a real geeky piece about dies and stri

Well, all of my sets were ordered in the 1st week. Although the ones I found were in the second shipment almost a week after the first.

He ordered 20 sets on the 1st day and got zero. And he just ordered again and got 13 out of 30.

I'm pretty sure they don't ship them out in the order minted. But that's not to say that coins from the same die might not be near each other in the warehouse. Depends on how they go from freshly minted coin to set of coins to boxed set of coins to warehouse.

Based on overall numbers people are reporting, I'm going to stick with my guess that it's one faultily finished die and no more than 10k total coins. [That seems reasonable for a proof half? Maybe less?]

• Options

I believe Justin will also be offered a pair of the coins in an eBay auction with a starting bid of around $100. When, and if, it gets listed, I’ll try to provide a link here as well.

Wondercoin.

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

i would edit this listing and add this link - http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/reverse-proof-error-found

• Options

@nurmaler said:

@jmlanzaf said:

i would edit this listing and add this link - http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/reverse-proof-error-found

good point!

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

That's one of the reasons I like this forum - discoveries are shared and knowledge gained.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options

Has PCGS or NGC confirmed this is a "real" error and will it be slabbed as such and required for complete Kennedy registry sets?

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    Has PCGS or NGC confirmed this is a "real" error and will it be slabbed as such and required for complete Kennedy registry sets?

I did not know they needed to do this. What if they don’t want to slab the coin?

• Options

Gluggo,

My understanding is if they do not slab it, then it is considered a minor finish error for example. It may still command a higher price for many collectors.

If they do slab it as an error variety then it becomes a requirement for some registry collectors to own both varieties of them. It matters to me as I collect these.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    Gluggo,

My understanding is if they do not slab it, then it is considered a minor finish error for example. It may still command a higher price for many collectors.

If they do slab it as an error variety then it becomes a requirement for some registry collectors to own both varieties of them. It matters to me as I collect these.

Not yet. If they ever do, sky's the limit. Until then, it is a curiousity.

• Options

Thank you for that explaination.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2018 7:02AM

I wonder if the mint will check the sets now before they ship since the news is out. Just bought two more sets,
    I am not going to go crazy on these. I do think the reverse penny will have some value down the road.

• Options

@nurmaler said:

Is that how many they have left before they sell out? :o

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@nurmaler said:

As always thanks

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

I just looked at 14 sets and I believe I have a shiny version of the Kennedy obverse background. 13 are cameo reverse proof looking with shiny profile and matte background, but one has a really smooth background.

One Kennedy has no obverse cameo and a shiny background and shiny head and sort of shiny background.. Which ones are different or is this just another version of finishes?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't opened my box of 5 sets and am now thinking I may leave it sealed after all.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Mint showing "8,849" sets in stock at this moment, but for some reason was allowing me to place a million dollar + order for nearly 20,000 sets? Of course, I did not push the button to buy the sets to actually see what would happen next! Wondercoin

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks nurmaler....I wonder if they are still packaging some sets and only have around 9k "in stock"...the rest to follow.

Seems like a LOT of sets sold in a week....if that is not the issue

• Options

Thanks @nurmaler

I can believe they have sold that many sets. I was talking to @wondercoin the other day and the yield of 70s on several of this coins is in the 1-2% range. I think it is quite possible that you will see $1000+ PCGS 70 sets soon. Even the NGC 70s seem to be creeping up on eBay, they were originally at $350 but more lately seem to be at $450-$500. I think the psychology of that kind of perceived value increase is powerful.

There is also something of a treashure hunt for the Kennedy "finish variety".

I actually ordered another 60 sets myself just yesterday. And I'm considering stockpiling a few more. If that number continues to shrink and we look like we're headed for "unavailable" this week, I may have to jump in and buy more.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file