Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC) (Sold out...)

Comments

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:
    Here they come NCG First Looks like Kolectorz is out in front. Probably one of our highly motivated members here. Good job!
    2018 S SILVER KENNEDY REVERSE PROOF 50C NGC PF69 ULTRA CAMEO from $99.99 for a 69 all the way up to $219.99 FDOI 70's

I just made an offer on a couple of them and he declined. I’ll wait to see if the price drops as others get them posted. I did get a couple of SP70 of the enhanced uncirculated from Kollectorz when they dropped dramatically lower. We will see if the reverse proof does the same.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sad truth is that I can sell my 5 Big Mac brass tokens right now for more than I can get for this silver coin set...

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2018 11:37AM

@Goldminers said:
    The sad truth is that I can sell my 5 Big Mac brass tokens right now for more than I can get for this silver coin set...

I think that just shows more people know Mcdonalds than the US Mint. Remember the Miniature Beanie Baby promotion, the the Beanie Baby trading cards? I mean I did not go buy any of them!!!!! ;)

• Options

Looks like NGC has already graded 1792 of the reverse proof penny with 71% of them being 70s. Thats down from 90% for the enhanced uncirculated version.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Guess it worked

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like NGC has already graded 1792 of the reverse proof penny with 71% of them being 70s. Thats down from 90% for the enhanced uncirculated version.

Any fail to grade min grade 70? That would lower the 71% further.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2018 2:57PM

Here is an example of what I found on my Block reverse proof quarters. This one is not even as bad as several others I sent back. I still believe the reverse proof block island quarters had a problem with the obverse at least on the coins I received.

Also, it is surprisingly hard to find a good regular silver block island quarter in PR70, that is not a reverse proof.

Edited to add that also look carefully at the surface finish not just the scuff marks. These were not minted very well for some reason compared to most others. This is why I think the die is worn or not well polished and handling of the coins either by robot or person somehow also scuffed them. I had 7 of 10 like this in various degrees.

• Options

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

Looks like PCGS has a better record on their grading. Of 1285 of the reverse proof penny with 211673% made it to 70's.
    272 of the wonderful work of the MINT made it to 70. Thats down from ? But never fear 1001 of them made it to 69's!!!!!! :p:p:p:p:p:o

Here is the linki
    https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/lincoln-cent-modern-1959-date/47?bsn=679892&sn=679892&p=PR&ccid=1615

• Options

@Gluggo said:

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

Looks like PCGS has a better record on their grading. Of 1285 of the reverse proof penny with 211673% made it to 70's.
    272 of the wonderful work of the MINT made it to 70. Thats down from ? But never fear 1001 of them made it to 69's!!!!!! :p:p:p:p:p:o

Here is the linki
    https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/lincoln-cent-modern-1959-date/47?bsn=679892&sn=679892&p=PR&ccid=1615

Gluggo,

That is 21%, but the main thing is that link and pop is for the regular proofs, not the reverse proofs. I have not seen any actual data yet from PCGS on these reverse proof pops.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2018 6:14PM

That's too much money. The cents are having a hard time fetching much more than $10 each singly.

If anyone wants 25 cents for $250 (shipping included) or 50 cents for $500, PM me.

• Options

I'm most impressed/surprised with the dime. The EU dime was the second worst coin in the set. I had to bulk them out in rolls just to get rid of them. The RP dime is the second BEST coin in the set (after the half). I've sold out of them 3 times even though I raised the price every time I relisted them. I'm not sure what's driving the interest in the dime when the EU dime was such a dog.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2018 7:01PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    I'm most impressed/surprised with the dime. The EU dime was the second worst coin in the set. I had to bulk them out in rolls just to get rid of them. The RP dime is the second BEST coin in the set (after the half). I've sold out of them 3 times even though I raised the price every time I relisted them. I'm not sure what's driving the interest in the dime when the EU dime was such a dog.

Possibly that it is actual silver instead of clad.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

@privatecoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The point is not that it is more popular than the clad. The point is that the relative coin order is different. The half was just as popular, clad or silver. And if $1.10 with of silver makes go pay $10 for a dime, then I've got a house with silver doorknobs that you're going to love. Phil> @privatecoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The point is not that it is more popular than the EU dime. The point is that the relative order of the coins is different. The half is just as popular, clad or silver.

And if $1.10 in silver makes you spend $8 to $10 for a dime... well then I've got a house with silver doorknobs you're going to love. Pull the Brinks ' truck around back.

• Options

Hi my name is Mark P. And I’m brand new to your site and started back up collecting coins as I did when I was a kid.

Anyway here is my question, I just got my brand new 2018 reverse proof set 18XC direct from the mint. I was so excited to open it up and was quickly disappointed at seeing a spot on the nickel upon closer look with a loop I noticed that the rim was nicked. Is there any quality control that goes on at the mint?

• Options

@mparrish2013 said:
    Hi my name is Mark P. And I’m brand new to your site and started back up collecting coins as I did when I was a kid.

Anyway here is my question, I just got my brand new 2018 reverse proof set 18XC direct from the mint. I was so excited to open it up and was quickly disappointed at seeing a spot on the nickel upon closer look with a loop I noticed that the rim was nicked. Is there any quality control that goes on at the mint?

I'm sure it's not a nick. It's probably from the little tab that holds it in. It sometimes gets mistaken for a nick.

• Options

Goldminer your right darn it I miss read it Ohhh well.

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@mparrish2013 said:

Welcome to the madness Mark, @mparrish2013
    There's 4 videos direct from the USMint website and the San Francisco mint particularly that may answer your question....
    https://www.usmint.gov/about/mint-tours-facilities/san-francisco

• Options
    edited August 5, 2018 3:51PM

@mparrish2013 said:

If I were you I would give the mint a call on monday and see what your options are. I am thinking maybe you send them back after they give you a prepaid mailing address. Then you fill the form stating you want a replacement or your money back. Good luck with your venture. I would also ask them if they have inspectors working for the mint. Maybe write down all your questions , take the name of the person ect. Sorry you have to spend many hours now trying to make a wrong right.

• Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

That's too much money. The cents are having a hard time fetching much more than $10 each singly.

If anyone wants 25 cents for $250 (shipping included) or 50 cents for $500, PM me.

$10 is what I paid for one for my Lincoln Cent set

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

@Gluggo said:

@mparrish2013 said:

If I were you I would give the mint a call on monday and see what your options are. I am thinking maybe you send them back after they give you a prepaid mailing address. Then you fill the form stating you want a replacement or your money back. Good luck with your venture. I would also ask them if they have inspectors working for the mint. Maybe write down all your questions , take the name of the person ect. Sorry you have to spend many hours now trying to make a wrong right.

I would re-iterate. It is most likely NOT a nick, it's just where the plastic tab meets the coin.

• Options
    fnettyfnetty Posts: 32 ✭✭✭

Here is a small strike thru on a pictured rocks quarter.

• Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2018 2:40PM

Got my 3 sets Friday, sent 2 back today... disappointed, thinking maybe one set... ONE... might have to go back, but 2? Doesn't bode well for those I get back in return...

UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

@mparrish2013 said:

I would re-iterate. It is most likely NOT a nick, it's just where the plastic tab meets the coin.

I am going to have to agree with jmlanzaf as he has been going through them like a man of fire while I only took my unopened box and put it away for centuries. I am thinking of buying me a few sets just to send it for First Strike PCGS grading since the 30 days are still a few weeks away. But its going to cost me so If I do this I will NOT OPEN the box. Since I won't have the funds to pay 500+ bucks just for grading. I still will never look at the quality work. I am going to guess of the 10 coins all 09 will grade 69 and 1 will grade a 68.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

these are not put them away coins.

this set will be selling for below issue price in a few years.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I wonder how many sets are being sent back for the "non- defects". You've got the "oil spots ", the " edge nicks" and in the reverse proofs you've got fake spots. At certain angles, the facets change color, especially on the Lincolns, giving the appearance of discoloration

• Options

Any guesses on how many have sold since last week? I'm going to guess 15k sold.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:
    Any guesses on how many have sold since last week? I'm going to guess 15k sold.

The regular silver proof sets are selling at about 6500 per week after 3 months, so 15k seems about right. 25K and I'll buy another 100.

• Options

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love this set.
    It’s beautiful. Surprisingly beautiful. And even the art on the front of the box is excellent.
    Simple and elegant execution.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

I agree...very nice set

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2018 12:38PM

Not bad. Latest numbers from the Mint is out.

2018 San Francisco Silver Reverse Proof Set
    DateSoldIncreaseComment
    7/24/2018106,108First day sales
    7/29/2018145,389145,389
    8/5/2018164,11918,730

Returns should show up next week. Ought to be able to make some sort of prediction of a sell out then...

• Options

I say sellout by Labor Day.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:
    I say sellout by Labor Day.

I agree. Or shortly after

Silver proof sets are over 209k.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only did 2 sets. FedEx "Stupidpost" just got them to me today (ordered within first hour or so of them going on sale).

Of the 2 sets, one looks just fine.
    The other set, the bottom of the shield on the reverse of the cent looks a little hazy. Don't think I will send it back. I'm not looking to play the "I ONLY want 70s" game from the mint. It was just notable, to me, on the haze bit. It's minor. I needed a loupe to see it, but it is there.

Expected to see it on set #2, after seeing it on set#1, but it was only on set#1, and only on the cent

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2018 9:20AM

What is this I am reading over at Numismatic News from Dave Harper about an error on the obverse finish of the Kennedy Half being discovered? See http://www.numismaticnews.net/buzz/error-on-reverse-proof-could-be-valuable

Has anyone else come across one of these? I now have to go check all my sets.

• Options

@ernie11 said:
    What is this I am reading over at Numismatic News from Dave Harper about an error on the obverse finish of the Kennedy Half being discovered? See http://www.numismaticnews.net/buzz/error-on-reverse-proof-could-be-valuable

I need pictures....pictures or it didn't happen.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

@ernie11 said:

I need pictures....pictures or it didn't happen.

I agree. NN didn't have any photos. My sets are all normal reverse proofs.

• Options

@ernie11 said:

I agree. NN didn't have any photos. My sets are all normal reverse proofs.

The "emailer" said they were sending pictures..I don't think I'd post that until I saw pictures of it.....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

It's the holy grail

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mt_msla said:

@PocketArt said:
    I think I'm more nervous about the condition of my set when it arrives...I just bought one, so, not much margin for error in quality. Milk spots, rust, chinked, scratched, prints, etc,...shoot, loose shipping is of a concern. I don't feel too lucky with this one.

Did I just google symptoms of a health condition, and get all the worst case scenarios spilled in my lap? Sorta what I'm feeling....hopefully, all coins are stable, and I'm just paranoid...paracoined? :#

My Kennedy has similar quality issues...my Sac has problems on high points as well; but, not as pronounced. All other coins look good in set. I noticed several "black dots," "fly specks," or "dots of doom" around my Kennedy, and only the Kennedy. I believe these may be micro fibers from insert, perhaps the ink flecks from insert in plastic display? They don't appear to be on the coin. IDK. Appears to be a future problem in the making. I've included photos to capture scuff on Kennedy, and the "dots of doom."

You know, all my reverse proof dollars from the coin and chronicle series from 2015-2016 are top notch. They are superior quality. I suffered through the low mintage, web freeze fiasco the mint had with these coins when offered, and managed to get two each in 5-6 minute sellouts with the lower mintage offerings...

I'd rather have a quality product, low mintage, web-freeze event, than a hyped up, overproduced, rush 'em out product for perceived effect. The U.S. mint can not produce reverse proofs at this level without sacrificing quality. At least at this present stage...based on what I have from lower mintage reverse proof offerings.

I'll keep my set, and look for better examples in hand. It appears the "thicker" coins are subject to more abuse than the "thinner" coins.

LOOK AT ALL THOSE BLACK DOTS!!!!!!! Future problem?

• Options
    edited August 8, 2018 4:39PM

The U.S. mint can not produce reverse proofs at this level without sacrificing quality. At least at this present stage...based on what I have from lower mintage reverse proof offerings.

these seem to be slightly higher quality than the regular silver proof sets.

it was partly due to me buying 2 dozen sets to make 2 good sets that had the mint hq calling to ask why my returns were so high. *they went by dollar volume on that particular call)

black spots

try an acetone bath

• Options

@PocketArt said:

@mt_msla said:

@PocketArt said:
    I think I'm more nervous about the condition of my set when it arrives...I just bought one, so, not much margin for error in quality. Milk spots, rust, chinked, scratched, prints, etc,...shoot, loose shipping is of a concern. I don't feel too lucky with this one.

Did I just google symptoms of a health condition, and get all the worst case scenarios spilled in my lap? Sorta what I'm feeling....hopefully, all coins are stable, and I'm just paranoid...paracoined? :#

My Kennedy has similar quality issues...my Sac has problems on high points as well; but, not as pronounced. All other coins look good in set. I noticed several "black dots," "fly specks," or "dots of doom" around my Kennedy, and only the Kennedy. I believe these may be micro fibers from insert, perhaps the ink flecks from insert in plastic display? They don't appear to be on the coin. IDK. Appears to be a future problem in the making. I've included photos to capture scuff on Kennedy, and the "dots of doom."

You know, all my reverse proof dollars from the coin and chronicle series from 2015-2016 are top notch. They are superior quality. I suffered through the low mintage, web freeze fiasco the mint had with these coins when offered, and managed to get two each in 5-6 minute sellouts with the lower mintage offerings...

I'd rather have a quality product, low mintage, web-freeze event, than a hyped up, overproduced, rush 'em out product for perceived effect. The U.S. mint can not produce reverse proofs at this level without sacrificing quality. At least at this present stage...based on what I have from lower mintage reverse proof offerings.

I'll keep my set, and look for better examples in hand. It appears the "thicker" coins are subject to more abuse than the "thinner" coins.

LOOK AT ALL THOSE BLACK DOTS!!!!!!! Future problem?

Ink on the plastic lens should not affect the coin. If you are worried about them flaking off and landing on the coin, you can open the plastic, wipe them off and reseal it.

• Options

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

Horrible picture and I can't tell anything?

• Options

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

I mean it might be a straight proof rather than a reverse proof, but how would you know whether someone swapped the coin out as there are straight silver proofs.

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    There Here! Here we go let the games begin $175.00 I don't think I could come close to what PCGS would charge me.
    2018-S Silver Reverse Proof 10-Coin Set PR69 PCGS First Strike San Francisco
    Complete 10-Coin 2018-S Reverse Proof Set graded by PCGS. Contains Cent, Nickel, Dime, Half, Dollar, and each of the 5 National Park Quarters.

Give it time...it will go lower....until an official sellout at the mint....

Don't quote me on that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file