Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC) (Sold out...)

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pf70collector said:
    I haven't bought one product from the mint this year. My mint purchases are over. Even the palladium proof this year is not a good investment with the the $300 markup over melt.

Only one I bought was the reverse proof set. They are currently flying out of inventory - as single coins.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭

Coin Vault has NGC FDI 70s for $500.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

6 of my 10 are headed back to Memphis today. A couple with poor finishes on Kennedy, scuff on dime, dots on a penny, and all 6 had poor Block quarter obverse finish like the die was just poor and not polished right to begin with.

I could have sold the sets, but I do not like the idea selling something that I would not like to receive.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

6 of 10 is more than 2%

at least put on there poor product quality

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2018 12:00PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    6 of 10 is more than 2%

at least put on there poor product quality

I did. That is the main reason to send them back I want them to know of the poor quality, or I could have just sold them. All returns were marked poor quality, so hopefully will not be resold.

And if they ban me from future purchases, it may actually be a good thing, as they will lose a valuable customer of over 40 years, and I will not fall for their crazy marketing ideas again. The Innovation series is the last disaster being mentioned.

They do not have people at the Mint who understand marketing and how to get new people involved in the hobby. They need to do Sport teams, like NBA and NFL team logo and or star players' coins, soccer (football in the rest of the world) coins of major teams and get the teams to subsidize for the advertising they get or sell them on team sites and circulate some of them!!!!

Sorry, but the Congress do not know the market and should not be involved in the coin programs without input from the collector community and the Mint should do some real research.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a notification that my 2 sets are arriving today. I will be preparing it for its long journey. I will post pictures when I am done.

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    I got a notification that my 2 sets are arriving today. I will be preparing it for its long journey. I will post pictures when I am done.

I thought you were not going to open them for 20 years? Is that the long journey you are talking about? I am glad I got rid of some I had with obvious flaws ahead of time and kept 4 good sets.

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

Decided to join the fun. Ordered one set late last night. Got shipping notice today.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

You go, Tunis.
    Don’t let the crustiness scare you.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@Goldminers said:

@Gluggo said:

I thought you were not going to open them for 20 years? Is that the long journey you are talking about? I am glad I got rid of some I had with obvious flaws ahead of time and kept 4 good sets.

You are correct goldminer but now you got me worried. Last batch of the 225 anniversary I think I sent back 50% of what I bought. In fact the Mint screwed me on one of my refunds claim they paid me but it never showed up on my account. Turns out in order to get my money back after they CLAIM they paid is way to much trouble. So I gave up.

But I might end up opening them after all and really it was your posts that got me really thinking so if I do thank you for sharing your receipted coins. I got all day to ponder what I am going to do. Its Saturday still recovering from the work week this Diabetes really takes its toll on my body.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    6 of 10 is more than 2%

And 7 of 9 is a good looking Borg.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 3 sets came today. Nice-looking coins!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2018 2:31PM

@Goldminers said:

@Gluggo said:

I thought you were not going to open them for 20 years? Is that the long journey you are talking about?

Well I made up my mind I saved them for my grand daughter.

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

Back in the 1980’s, I saved unopened boxes of sports cards with the idea that they would be worth a lot in the future. Still have some of them but they actually dropped in value because of over production. This seems like it will work out better than my experience.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Got any 86 Fleer Baskerball? I remember reading something around 1989 that Dealers were buying up 86 Fleer Basetball Sets for $15.00 . Darn, wish I had taken a hint. Coulda, shoulda, woulda..... with around $4.50 wull get you a nice cup of coffee at some places.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

if anyone is looking for extra sets cheaper, liberty is selling 10 or more for 56, guessing the bonus e bucks will be here on the 30th and 31st, so about 50 each with the bonus bucks if you buy at least 10 or more

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-US-Mint-Silver-Proof-Set-18RH/401532042738?hash=item5d7d2cbdf2:g:6RQAAOSwruxbJB83:sc:USPSFirstClass!87062!US!-1

• Options
    bigmountainlionbigmountainlion Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

Liberty is selling regular silver proof sets not reverse proof sets. You can get regular proof set cheaper 49.95 at usmint

• Options
    edited July 29, 2018 10:02AM

Now that I got my grandbaby's future college money saved for her should I pick me up a set for cheaper than what the mint is selling their's for. Anybody selling theirs 20% discount from mint price? Maybe I can find some cheaper on Ebay. Let me go on the hunt.

$62.00 + shipping so far the cheapest. Lets see how they are in 1 week.

• Options
    bigmountainlionbigmountainlion Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

Why would they sell it for discount if they have to pay ebay fee, if they can return for full refund.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

to attract new customers and they get a volume discount from the mint.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

I know we get numbers out tomorrow, but any of the bulk dealers see if the number has dropped below 10k?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

130k+ 4 days ago. Really doubt they sold 60k in a few days

• Options

I was wondering 1 set costs $54.95 If I wanted to buy one and then send it in for PCGS First Strike grading would cost an additional let see!!!!

10 coins x $16.00 Modern Fee per coin = $160.00
    10 coins x $18.00 First Strike Fee per coin = $180.00
    Handling fee = $10.00
    Shipping fee x 10 coins = $28.50
    For a total of $ 378.50 Not a bad deal right? I mean I don't see any body grading them you might be the only one and if they ALL grade 70's! Cha Ching!
    Now maybe we go True View on each coin so lets add
    10 coins x $10.00 = $100.00 for a total of $ 478.50 for your First Strike 2018 San Francisco Mint 2018 Silver Reverse Proof Set.
    Ohhh I almost forgot to add the
    $54.95 original cost for a total of $533.45!!!!!
    Is it worth it especially if they all come out 70! Hmmm let me ponder first I still got time the 30 days has not expired. Too late for the First Day of Issue. :(

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    Is it worth it especially if they all come out 70! Hmmm let me ponder first I still got time the 30 days has not expired. Too late for the First Day of Issue. :(

Just wait and buy them from the big dealers....way cheaper that way...I have several EU sets graded that way...way cheaper than having them graded myself.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

My set arrived and looks great.

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

This is a waste of money in my mind. you could be getting the last coin from the die before its scrapped and on day 31 they could put a new die into service and the first coins from it could be way better than a "First strike" Also, on these limited sets the coins were probably all already made so they were probably all made in the first 30 days. Its a plain old marketing ploy that really shouldn't add squat to the value of the coin. However for some reason people will pay more at this point in time for first strike coins and special labels. Is there anything special about a FDOI coin? Nope, someone just was able to buy and have a coin graded on that day. could be the last one of the coins off the die. The first coins made would be at the bottom of the pallet, not the top. Now if was a first run on the die coin you might have something. This is just my non informed opinion and I have very little experience with coins but it sure sounds right to me.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old news. Recycled info.
    There are many that get excited for the coin and or the slab.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

@Gluggo said:
    I was wondering 1 set costs $54.95 If I wanted to buy one and then send it in for PCGS First Strike grading would cost an additional let see!!!!

Handling fee = $10.00
    For a total of $ 378.50 Not a bad deal right? I mean I don't see any body grading them you might be the only one and if they ALL grade 70's! Cha Ching!
    10 coins x $10.00 = $100.00 for a total of $ 478.50 for your First Strike 2018 San Francisco Mint 2018 Silver Reverse Proof Set.

Gluggo,
    Keep in mind, new gold shield includes True View and it is only $5. So you can save $50 from your calculation. I am considering this but I probably will not pay for First Strike. Just too much money per coin. Maybe OK for the Kennedy or a couple others depending, but not all. There is no rush on these. Low actual collector demand vs mintage.

• Options

@Gluggo said:

Handling fee = $10.00

No, it is NOT worth it.

• Options

I would say not too bad...55k left....
    Special Collectibles 18XC 2018 SF SILVER REVERSE PROOF SET 145389 07/29/2018

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:
    I would say not too bad...55k left....
    Special Collectibles 18XC 2018 SF SILVER REVERSE PROOF SET 145389 07/29/2018

Yeah, it is when you look at the normal Silver Proof set which started sales at 151K the first week of sales.

Those, of course, had subscription orders.

If they only sell 5-10K in week 2, we're probably looking at a sellout in three months or so, if sales remains in the 4K/week range like the silver proof set...

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Yeah, it is when you look at the normal Silver Proof set which started sales at 151K the first week of sales.

If they only sell 5-10K in week 2, we're probably looking at a sellout in three months or so, if sales remains in the 4K/week range like the silver proof set...

Were the new return rules in place back in April?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Were the new return rules in place back in April?

Yes. The new rule was published in the Federal Register March 13, 2018, effective immediately.

US Mint to punish excessive returns

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

Yes. The new rule was published in the Federal Register March 13, 2018, effective immediately.

US Mint to punish excessive returns

I stand corrected. This is bad.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got my sets y'day. I haven't had time to go thru this entire thread, so this may have been mentioned before. It's typical of me to pick up on a trivial detail like this, but I noticed that the boxes the sets are contained in have the Golden Gate Bridge slightly raised thru some kind of embossing.

• Options

145,389 1st week sales

• Options
    edited July 31, 2018 3:10PM

How many or what is the percentage of sets being sent back? Are we asking for a Replacement set or Full refunds? Will the Mint punish those return more than they should?

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    How many or what is the percentage of sets being sent back? Are we asking for a Replacement set or Full refunds? Will the Mint punish those return more than they should?

I hope they do.

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

If someone sends in a dime to get graded and wants to sell it, send me a PM.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2018 9:01PM

I received my (2) sets on Monday and just opened them

All will go PR70 but these coin are destined to be broken out and put into my raw sets of coins.

I will wait and buy the nickels slabbed for $6.18 ea for a PR70FS Nickel.

I will need 76 pcs of these 2018-S Nickels to go with my 76 pcs of 2017-S PR70FS Enhanced Nickels. :o

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Along said:

+1
    No issues with the set I received.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2018 1:32AM

@ECHOES said:

@Along said:

+1
    No issues with the set I received.

I've cracked 90 sets. Two cents had a little spotting. One half had a little cheek spot. One set had double quarters, which was the biggest problem.

The idea that these sets should all be 70s is the problem. Maybe the Mint should start selling them in two quality ranges: regular for 55, premium for 100

• Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

No sign of my one lonely set yet...

Jim

• Options
    Morpheus1967Morpheus1967 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2018 6:41AM

@Gluggo said:

Handling fee = $10.00

Nevermind, I did not see you had shipping already in there.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2018 11:04PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@ECHOES said:

@Along said:

>

The idea that these sets should stop be 70s is the problem. Maybe the Mint should start selling them in two quality ranges: regular for 55, premium for 100

We already have that MCM is selling the regular reverse set for $69.95 and the premium/gem proof for $119.95. Or maybe you want the First Day of Issue for $229.95! Its amazing what a little sticker will do. I wonder why they wont pay for any MS Grades? Hmmmmmmm whats going on?
    https://www.moderncoinmart.com/2018-s-us-silver-reverse-proof-set.html
    https://www.moderncoinmart.com/2018-s-us-silver-reverse-proof-set-ngc-gem-reverse-proof.html
    https://www.moderncoinmart.com/2018-s-us-silver-reverse-proof-set-ngc-gem-reverse-proof-fdi.html

• Options

govmint.com also got them. i wonder who would buy those, it's not even graded, just a sticker.

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    We already have that MCM is selling the regular reverse set for $69.95 and the premium/gem proof for $119.95. Or maybe you want the First Day of Issue for $229.95! Its amazing what a little sticker will do. I wonder why they wont pay for any MS Grades? Hmmmmmmm whats going on?

How are they sealing the lenses? The GSA dollars had the label wrapped around the lens, didn't they?

This doesn't seem to be a particularly good marketing strategy...

• Options

The sets were already sealed by usmint, all NGC did is put a sticker on it.

• Options

@bigmountainlion said:
    The sets were already sealed by usmint, all NGC did is put a sticker on it.

No they're not. Take any proof coin lens. You can separate it. Not sealed at all.

• Options

@Gluggo said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ECHOES said:

@Along said:

>

The idea that these sets should stop be 70s is the problem. Maybe the Mint should start selling them in two quality ranges: regular for 55, premium for 100

I'm not talking about slabs. I'm talking about raw sets

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file