Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC) (Sold out...)

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on my previous posted calculations, the average numbers ordered appears to be about
    42,000 total Mint orders placed x 70% = approx 30k orders for the rev. proof ÷ 114,000 = 4+ average order as of 1st day.
    I do not think the "big boys" will make much of a dent. This set may be available for a while longer.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    Based on my previous posted calculations, the average numbers ordered appears to be about
    42,000 total Mint orders placed x 70% = approx 30k orders for the rev. proof ÷ 114,000 = 4+ average order as of 1st day.
    I do not think the "big boys" will make much of a dent. This set may be available for a while longer.

It has to be more like 40,000 orders. The Mint does not get 10,000 orders per day. They only get about 12 to 14,000 orders per WEEK.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they probable at the 50% sold level by now.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    edited July 24, 2018 9:56AM

As previously reported & posted:
    First-day sales reached 114,108 sets.
    Per: Mike Unser, editor of coinnews.net

bottom of the article

http://www.coinnews.net/2018/07/23/san-francisco-mints-2018-silver-reverse-proof-set-launch/

• Options
    edited July 24, 2018 10:23AM

My order #was 592**** about an hour ago. That puts orders close to 50,000 in 24 hours. That should translate into about 45,000 reverse proof orders. But then the math gets sketchy. They were averaging around 3 per order yesterday, but the cap is off today.

I'm going to hypothesize that we're over 150,000 sold at this point.

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know the price for the bulk orders

• Options

@alohagary said:
    Does anyone know the price for the bulk orders

I think it depends on who the buyer is. I saw something yesterday that said the discounts applied were based on your tier. @nurmaler probably knows better, but they are all under 10%. I think 5% is the most common based on what people were saying last year.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

The HH limit should be lifted tomorrow. Sell-out by Friday.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

the HH limit has already been lifted...but you may be right about Friday.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

first day sales revised DOWN to 106,108. Not great overall compared to first expectations, but there are some key coins in this set individually that should do well eventually if high quality.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

@VanHalen said:

the HH limit has already been lifted...but you may be right about Friday.

Thanks. I didn't see that.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like we have some canceled orders already, The U.S. Mint revised first-day sales to 106,108 from 114,108 sets

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    looks like we have some canceled orders already, The U.S. Mint revised first-day sales to 106,108 from 114,108 sets

Not a good sign

• Options

they might still do well if they sellout in 2 weeks. I could be wrong. the Kennedy half is selling strong right now, as is the penny

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    they might still do well if they sellout in 2 weeks. I could be wrong. the Kennedy half is selling strong right now, as is the penny

The Kennedy half was selling well yesterday. I don't see many sales today, although the $40 ask seems high given EU halves are more like $15 raw.

I just bought 10 cents at 12.99 because that's less than the EU cents go for. Nickel and dime are dogs again. The quarters are barely above melt with people selling them at 20ish with free shipping [that's net about 15 against $14 melt]

Lack of a sellout by now means the big guys don't believe in the set.

• Options
    edited July 24, 2018 2:00PM

While the set together may be a flop for some flippers, I believe some coins will turn out to be really good value if graded PCGS PR70. There are 7 silver coins that are unique S-mints. I plan to study mine real close when they arrive tomorrow. At this point I don't know that I even want a sellout. Return them all back if not perfect and it will be lowest mintage for several and may go up in price later and not a quick sugar high.

I wish PCGS would do a graded first strike set special for these as it is a lot of money to do 10 coins individually.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

gem grade

worse than a 68

I am guessing this is the answer to the new return policy. the new return policy may result in fewer dealers buying larger quantities.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

My order shipped.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any body get there coins today?

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Lets face it, there's not much here.
    Silver quarters, good, but some random design that i don't even know what they are doing anymore.
    Dollar, nickel and penny, all fine reverse proofs, but not silver.
    So really all we have is Silver Half dollar reverse proof and the silver dime reverse proof.

• Options
    edited July 24, 2018 2:50PM

@goldbuffalo said:
    Lets face it, there's not much here.
    Silver quarters, good, but some random design that i don't even know what they are doing anymore.
    Dollar, nickel and penny, all fine reverse proofs, but not silver.
    So really all we have is Silver Half dollar reverse proof and the silver dime reverse proof.

I once was going to buy an MS-66 Red 1909-SVDB cent...then I realized it wasn't silver. :wink:

I guarantee - all bets welcome - that the Lincoln reverse proof cent will sell for far more than the dime.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lifted the household limit and still no sellout? Glad I went with my gut.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

any update on the number remaining or is it still above 10,000?

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

I once was going to buy an MS-66 Red 1909-SVDB cent...then I realized it wasn't silver. :wink:

I guarantee - all bets welcome - that the Lincoln reverse proof cent will sell for far more than the dime.

The 1909-S VDB had 484,000 minted.

This one maybe only 150,000-200,000 minted, so in dozens of years and if several thousand rich Chinese millionaires want to buy proof US coins for a hobby, it may be worth holding, even if it is not silver, but probably only for a PR70 to get the $$$$ :wink:

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The 1909-S VDB had 484,000 minted.

This one maybe only 150,000-200,000 minted, so in dozens of years and if several thousand rich Chinese millionaires want to buy proof US coins for a hobby, it may be worth holding, even if it is not silver, but probably only for a PR70 to get the $$$$ :wink:

This misses the point. The point is that the metal composition is irrelevant.

• Options
    edited July 24, 2018 4:03PM

jmlanzav said,

This misses the point. The point is that the metal composition is irrelevant.

I guarantee - all bets welcome - that the Lincoln reverse proof cent will sell for far more than the dime

Agree that composition is not as important as demand, quality/rarity, and the purchasing power of collectors.

There are a lot of Roosie collectors, too. If all these dimes come back PR69, and say 5 come back PR70 in the next year or so, prices for top pops can get crazy. Same with the Lincolns or any of the other coins. It is never easy to estimate PR70 values and numbers.

• Options
    edited July 24, 2018 4:30PM

Okay I broke down and bought 2 sets. When I get them I am going to make sure I seal off the box and put instructions for my grandbaby, to wait 20 years before opening the box. Then and only then can she sell it off! My present to my grand baby. Will it help her get through college?

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    Okay I broke down and bought 2 sets. When I get them I am going to make sure I seal off the box and put instructions for my grandbaby, to wait 20 years before opening the box. Then and only then can she sell it off! My present to my grand baby. Will it help her get through college?

It could help a lot, but only if you happened to get a set with a missing S mint strike, wrong finish or die match, double die strike, or other major error on one of the coins.

But if you seal it up without looking, you may never know if you had the one that really mattered...……….

Life is not easy. They say you learn from mistakes, but I am getting pretty old and still make them. Modern silver is an addiction.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a bunch of Wheat Cents that I rolled by date mint mark in 1968, and wrote on them note to open until 1998. I thought they would be worth a fortune by then, as it would probably be my unborn nieces and nephews who would open them. Low draft number. :/

• Options

I hear you gold miner but if I decide to buy one for me I am still waiting for the graded one. So far only BU makes me think its not worth the coins to pay for the grading.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only reason to keep it sealed is for First Strike designation. Get them slabbed now and add it to a time capsule with other coins of the era, also slabbed....Gold, Platinum and Palladium. The 20 year provision could be real exciting.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a bulk (dealer) buyer with the Mint. The discount is no where remotely close to 10% and depends upon how much you spend each year. The discount does really matter on precious metal buys. Not so much in my mind on Proof sets. Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    I am a bulk (dealer) buyer with the Mint. The discount is no where remotely close to 10% and depends upon how much you spend each year. The discount does really matter on precious metal buys. Not so much in my mind on Proof sets. Wondercoin.

Good to hear from you. Did you buy any of these? Do you see any good flip opportunities this year?

• Options

wonder same question do you see an opportunity to make bank with this set or does it require the Silver Dollar to really make this attractive?

• Options

I ordered 3 sets at noon ET 7/23. Really hoping that this set sells good. I’ve got two on my eBay store. Rohagem. CDN reports 106,000 sold on the first day. Not a good sign.

• Options

@jwitten said:

@wondercoin said:

Good to hear from you. Did you buy any of these? Do you see any good flip opportunities this year?

Wondering the same. Is it gonna be a good flip?

• Options

@coinman1933 said:

@jwitten said:

@wondercoin said:

This set? No. If it doesn't sell out in a day, there's no easy flip.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinman1933 said:

@jwitten said:

@wondercoin said:

This set? No. If it doesn't sell out in a day, there's no easy flip.

Oh, that’s great. I bought two sets to sell, one to keep. Maybe I’ll just keep all 3.

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@Gluggo said:

It could help a lot, but only if you happened to get a set with a missing S mint strike, wrong finish or die match, double die strike, or other major error on one of the coins.

But if you seal it up without looking, you may never know if you had the one that really mattered...……….

Life is not easy. They say you learn from mistakes, but I am getting pretty old and still make them. Modern silver is an addiction.

I really hope there’s a mint error on some of these

• Options

The days of "easy flips" may be a thing of the past....may it rest in peace :'(

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Very informative, thanks wondercoin

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

As always, just my 2 cents. Wondercoin.

Dude (M) -- as always, I always appreciate your 2 cents. I'm so tired of flying coach! Gotta get in on better point deals. Maybe worth lower flippability on some Mint products! Thanks!!

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

bad cards make the first day sales change every time dont read too much into it.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

@Kkathyl said:
    bad cards make the first day sales change every time dont read too much into it.

True, but barely 100,000 sales is still barely 100,000 sales.

• Options

@jmlanzaf I think the US mint setting a production number of 200,000 was problem 1. if they took it down to even 125,000 it would of been a winner. They are just out of touch IMO.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    edited July 25, 2018 9:59AM

@Kkathyl said:
    @jmlanzaf I think the US mint setting a production number of 200,000 was problem 1. if they took it down to even 125,000 it would of been a winner. They are just out of touch IMO.

well, to be fair, their goal is not to create flipping opportunities. That said, people should be at least a little concerned that coin demand continues to fall. If there aren't 200,000 hard-core Lincoln cent collectors anymore, the hobby is in trouble. [Of course, they may be waiting to be single coins.]

• Options

I believe this lull in the market will equal opportunity but at a later time. Its just folk find the need to make money on investments, for now in stocks. It wont last forever, but these lower qty could mean higher value down the road. Look at the older ATB's they sell for 5-10 times on some issues. you just never know. 2015-2016 was very unusual time for flipping. Like @wondercoin said. Always ways to make a little per on these issues.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

The problem with Coin Folks is that they ( we) refuse to see that Coins are yesterdays Hula Hoop. Or is it yesterdays Fidget Spinners?

All yesteryears casual Collectors got burned bad when the State Quarters ended. They likely tried to cash out of their Treasured Collections ( of State Quarters) and were made bitter by offers of 20 - 22 cents each.

The only ones left out here are us wanna be flippers and Dealers. Who do we flip or sell to? Give it a Bit more time and no one will be out here to buy the Mints Treasures.

• Options

it's also a case of the mint making too many different collectibles, you can pick up a older proof set for as little as 5 dollars, some people would rather collect the cheap older stuff. collectors only have so much money. it took me close to a year to sell off my EU sets, I only bought a few of these as one of the quarters is my home state

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file