Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC) (Sold out...)

Comments

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

@Gluggo said:
    There Here! Here we go let the games begin $175.00 I don't think I could come close to what PCGS would charge me.
    2018-S Silver Reverse Proof 10-Coin Set PR69 PCGS First Strike San Francisco
    Complete 10-Coin 2018-S Reverse Proof Set graded by PCGS. Contains Cent, Nickel, Dime, Half, Dollar, and each of the 5 National Park Quarters.

Give it time...it will go lower....until an official sellout at the mint....

Yes I fully remember the 225th series went low almost 99 bucks a set. I am guessing this will too. 200,000 is way to much

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2018 1:39PM

Huge difference between Enhanced 2017 vs. Reverse Proof 2018 coins... these RP coins are simply not grading out 70 like the Enhanced did. PCGS has seen/reported roughly 400-500 sets thus far of the silver quarters and, at this moment, just 18 sets have achieved the 70 grade (and not a single set on eBay right now). We personally had a real tough time thus far with grading half dollars and cents in 70. Suffice it to say these RP coins are nothing like Enhanced 2017 coins IMHO. As always, just my 2 cents. Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

And my 2 out of 2 dozen aren't even 70's or 69's

Contact marks , strike throughs and eye noticeable finish breaks are the top three reasons sets go back.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel this attractive set looks best in the attractive Mint packaging.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/reverse-proof-error-found

with picture...still hazy to me to tell anything definitive.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    I feel this attractive set looks best in the attractive Mint packaging.

+1

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

What a horrible photo.

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2018 4:35AM

@dmwest said:

Ok, I think I found one of these in my crack outs. I will try to take better photos than I've seen so far. It is not as dramatic as those photos make it appear, but there is a definite decrease in contrast between the frosted devices and the polished devices.

• Options

guesses on sales?

+15,000

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    guesses on sales?

+15,000

25,000 with the new "error" hunting.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    guesses on sales?

+15,000

25,000 with the new "error" hunting.

How optimistic! :smiley:

If CC cancels show up this week, < 5000. But I've been wrong many times before... ;)

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

How optimistic! :smiley:

If CC cancels show up this week, < 5000. But I've been wrong many times before... ;)

It’s okay to be wrong. I was wrong for almost 20 years straight....according to my ex wife. :)

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Hi all, I have been out of country past 2 weeks while my sets set at "hold mail" post office service. I assume they are FS eligible but beyond USM return period. What are suggestions - open them to inspect, keep in the box for the future generation, any other suggestions :-) My hands are itchy to open to see how they look like but before i do want to see if there any other suggestions

• Options

@ShinyThingsInPM said:
    Hi all, I have been out of country past 2 weeks while my sets set at "hold mail" post office service. I assume they are FS eligible but beyond USM return period. What are suggestions - open them to inspect, keep in the box for the future generation, any other suggestions :-) My hands are itchy to open to see how they look like but before i do want to see if there any other suggestions

Thats a tough call. I myself have 2 boxes sealed from the mint thinking about sending them into PCGS for grading. Its going to cost over $400.00 to do them all or you can buy them already graded as they are now starting to pop up all in the $400 - $500+ range for 70's. The 69's are about $ 160.00 range. I think I posted 3 links to those for sale earlier. Maybe page 11 or 12. I believe if you OPEN the box and loose the mint seal you will loose the first strike label. Dont quote me on that one and welcome back glad you made it home safely.

• Options

@Gluggo said:

@ShinyThingsInPM said:

Thats a tough call. I myself have 2 boxes sealed from the mint thinking about sending them into PCGS for grading. Its going to cost over $400.00 to do them all or you can buy them already graded as they are now starting to pop up all in the $400 - $500+ range for 70's. The 69's are about $ 160.00 range. I think I posted 3 links to those for sale earlier. Maybe page 11 or 12. I believe if you OPEN the box and loose the mint seal you will loose the first strike label. Dont quote me on that one and welcome back glad you made it home safely.

I THINK you can send unopened box to PCGS and ask them to only grade certain coins, say just Kennedy halves only and return others ungraded

• Options

@ShinyThingsInPM said:

@Gluggo said:

@ShinyThingsInPM said:

I THINK you can send unopened box to PCGS and ask them to only grade certain coins, say just Kennedy halves only and return others ungraded

Yes you can I did that on some of the past one's saves alot of money. You just need to watch make sure they label the items right as they are prone for mistakes. If you lucky you can catch them before they send them out saving you the headache of requesting the free shipping + the head aches. I think I did that on my Silver sets that I only graded the Silver Dollars. Save me a bunch of needless money. Of course on this one its a interesting set.

• Options
    edited August 13, 2018 10:18AM

“or you can buy them already graded as they are now starting to pop up all in the $400 - $500+ range for 70's”

I have not seen a single set available for sale on eBay in the $400-$500 range thus far. Anyone that has PCGS “70” sets available today at $450, please PM me as I will buy a few (saving the seller all eBay fees) at that level! Once I buy them, I may change my price (up or down).

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Ok...at the risk of being flamed I bought and received 10 sets....checking them over and I have one that has a half that fits the description of the "no RP obverse"....the normal RP halves (and others) have a distinct dark portrait when turned side to side. This one is kinda blah...definitely different than the other nine. More like an EU half.

I have no clue how to image it since, I think, head on it won't show the difference....

I will experiment.....

• Options

Ok...gonna give it a go with my Samsung S7....same angle, same light direction.

• Options

@BigA said:
    Ok...gonna give it a go with my Samsung S7....same angle, same light direction.

So it looks like the whole coin is frosted, not just the fields. Cool.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

Almost like a BU on the portrait

Time to load the boat?

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    “or you can buy them already graded as they are now starting to pop up all in the $400 - $500+ range for 70's”

I have not seen a single set available for sale on eBay in the $400-$500 range thus far. Anyone that has PCGS “70” sets available today at $450, please PM me as I will buy a few (saving the seller all eBay fees) at that level! Once I buy them, I may change my price (up or down).

Wondercoin.

I'll take the over at $450

• Options
    edited August 13, 2018 4:20PM

I put some photos of the "error" in a different thread so as not to derail this one.
    Here's one side-by-side photo:

• Options

Black background

• Options

The “error” has been showing up in about 10% of our sets thus far. No glass needed of course. Wondercoin.

• Options

Heh.

More than 2% of the sets then...

• Options

I'm guessing 189k sold. Soon we will need a bulk dealer to watch the countdown.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

That seems a little high given a few returns are going to hit.

I'll make a similar promise (challenge? dare?) as last week. If the number is 189k or above, I'm buying 100 more sets.

• Options

reported here earlier: + 12,438

• Options

12,438? I got 9,503...

2018 San Francisco Silver Reverse Proof Set
    Date Sold Increase Comment
    7/24/2018 106,108 First day sales
    7/29/2018 145,389 145,389
    8/5/2018 164,119 18,730
    8/12/2018 173,622 9,503
  • Options

@BigA said:
    reported here earlier: + 12,438

Special Collectibles 18XC 2018 SF SILVER REVERSE PROOF SET 173622 08/12/2018

• Options

9500 is still pretty good

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

Yes, that should include some of the Buyer's Remorse from week 1. LOL.

Still looks like a sell-out around Labor Day.

• Options

12,438? I got 9,503..

@Kudbegud said:

Sorry...just believed what was reported

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

You're really not going to know that until next week.

CC cancels hit week 3 or 4. The Mint isn't consistent on when they do it. (For instance, the APE this year had cancels reported during week 4.)

If this number does include the CC cancels, it's not bad. Labor day is still optimistic.

• Options

I was just a smidge off :)

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@dmwest said:

That seems a little high given a few returns are going to hit.

I'll make a similar promise (challenge? dare?) as last week. If the number is 189k or above, I'm buying 100 more sets.

Dang 100 more and I got my 2 lonely sets still un-boxed/factory sealed from the Mint locked awat up in my safe. Who knows maybe its the onle double or trippled stammed mistake worth billions! :p

• Options
    edited August 14, 2018 1:50PM

I am missing why this set is worthy of locking away unopened in a safe....I don't get it...nice set but....

• Options

they aren't and that 'error' is at 10%,, so it is populous enough to make it a potential price killer, At 10%, I'd not want to have one.

• Options
    edited August 14, 2018 4:12PM

@BigA said:
    I am missing why this set is worthy of locking away unopened in a safe....I don't get it...nice set but....

BigA I am locking this up for my Grandbaby when I die. I told her mommy that it will be worth riches beyond her dream's. If it does not then she can work the rest of her life! You have to go back and read all my post's if your trying to understand me good luck. I am a diabetic on massive drugs so I am litterally screwed up all day. Been that way for 2 years. In fact I should not even be at work but I have bills to pay like Bill so I keep working. I even told my company but they don't care. So I keep getting up every day at 5 am drag myself to the job and work.

• Options
    NIPSZXNIPSZX Posts: 79 ✭✭

What's HHL?

I have heard that the sales are so low on this reverse proof set, that the mint workers are spreading rumors on social media that there is an error Kennedy floating around in some of these sets. They are desperately trying to sell this set. LoL

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

For sure there's an error associated with this set. For one I bought 10 sets. THEN I didnt return them as I had planned.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

You're really not going to know that until next week.

CC cancels hit week 3 or 4. The Mint isn't consistent on when they do it. (For instance, the APE this year had cancels reported during week 4.)

If this number does include the CC cancels, it's not bad. Labor day is still optimistic.

Oh, it's going to be close.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    they aren't and that 'error' is at 10%,, so it is populous enough to make it a potential price killer, At 10%, I'd not want to have one.

I'm not sure that "error" at 0.1% helps any. It doesn't seem the kind of thing that is going to be a big deal for either error folk or series collectors.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NIPSZX said:
    What's HHL?

House Hold Limit

Will you explain the Disagree on Gluggo's post?

• Options
    edited August 14, 2018 7:07PM

@NIPSZX said:
    What's HHL?

I have heard that the sales are so low on this reverse proof set, that the mint workers are spreading rumors on social media that there is an error Kennedy floating around in some of these sets. They are desperately trying to sell this set. LoL

It's not mint workers, it's coin collectors. So, I guess it is you spreading rumors.

They also sold 176,000 in 3 weeks and will likely be sold out in a month. The Mint really doesn't care if they sell out in a week or a year.

Welcome to the coin boards. Keep studying.

• Options

@BigA said:

They're not. But ordering a couple at a time would also position you in case of an announced error.

Since shipping is free if you qualify, 1 order of 5 or 5 orders of one (or 2 of 2 and 1 of 1, like I did) costs the same...

• Options
    edited August 15, 2018 4:33AM

@NIPSZX said:

...There have been posted pictures of the "rumor" in this thread (one by yours truly)

...Another volume buyer stated that this "rumor" has shown up at around 10% of his stash

...i wouldn't consider sales as "so low"and the Mint desperate since, after three weeks., , just a tad over 10% of the mintage remains available

• Options

I don't think 20k out of a mintage of 200k is a number to ignore. The 08/07 ASE was north of 47k and that's doing pretty well

Time will tell.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file