Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC) (Sold out...)

Comments

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought one more just now to see if it will be different than the first ones I got.

So far I have one unusual Kennedy, but it really is interesting to me. I can hold it next to a regular one and at some angles they look the same, straight on it is very different. Something of the finish on the background really changes with angles. Sort of like a Mona Lisa smile, seems normal at first, yet it is different.

Now what I need is to get one graded as a variety at PCGS and get a Mona Lisa price. Unfortunately it will never happen if I have one, only if I don't.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    I bought one more just now to see if it will be different than the first ones I got.

So far I have one unusual Kennedy, but it really is interesting to me. I can hold it next to a regular one and at some angles they look the same, straight on it is very different. Something of the finish on the background really changes with angles. Sort of like a Mona Lisa smile, seems normal at first, yet it is different.

Now what I need is to get one graded as a variety at PCGS and get a Mona Lisa price. Unfortunately it will never happen if I have one, only if I don't.

Stay tuned, some news may be forthcoming.

These are not rare. That is GOOD.

• Options
    edited August 19, 2018 12:20PM

Yes, that link on eBay even has a free 2018-S Block quarter reverse graded PR79 that he will toss in as a bonus!
    Even a better deal than HSN has on them.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    Yes, that link on eBay even has a free 2018-S Block quarter reverse graded PR79 that he will toss in as a bonus!
    Even a better deal than HSN has on them.

Yes. If you look at the picture, it's a 70. The bonus is likely worth more than the rest of that collection. I was trying to decide if I could flip the signature set for $500 just to keep the Block Island quarter. LOL.

• Options
    edited August 19, 2018 12:31PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldminers said:

Yes. If you look at the picture, it's a 70. The bonus is likely worth more than the rest of that collection. I was trying to decide if I could flip the signature set for $500 just to keep the Block Island quarter. LOL.

I thought about it also as I am currently willing to pay $300 for the Block Island silver reverse quarter in a PCGS PR70 FS slab.

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldminers said:

I thought about it also as I am currently willing to pay $300 for the Block Island silver reverse quarter in a PCGS PR70 FS slab.

If you really want one, you're going to have to up your ask. Just about every dealer is over $250 on bid. I would bet it's a $400-$500 coin at this point.

• Options
    edited August 19, 2018 12:53PM
  • Options

@Goldminers said:
    @jmlanzaf,
    Thanks.

No problem. I bought 3 70 Kennedy's today at over $100 each. I'm tempted on the Thorpe $ if I could find any nearer $100 as they are over $150 now and they have a very low yield also. Block Island - I may need my head examined - but I"m seriously considering BUYING at $400. UGH! Time for a pill. :wink:

• Options
    edited August 19, 2018 3:38PM

I will trade 4 complete sets of these (probably sold out soon) wonderful reverse S Mint proof coins with some flaws but just as received, in beautiful mint packaging with COA's and everything including a Golden Gate bridge picture on the box on Tuesday, for a PCGS PR70 Block Island reverse silver proof quarter today. ;)

• Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2018 2:36PM

• Options

UGH. I will soon have block island quarters in stock. Expect an imminent price collapse. :wink:

• Options

JM,

The price will not collapse when you get them in stock, it will only happen after I buy one. LOL

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 956 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    JM,

The price will not collapse when you get them in stock, it will only happen after I buy one. LOL

You guys think like me.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

Anyone have an update on the number left? Just curious if we will sell out this week.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:
    Anyone have an update on the number left? Just curious if we will sell out this week.

I know there's more than 100 left. :wink:

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

It all depends on whether the number remaining is real or not...real meaning are they waiting to package more. The Sunday sales number should tell us either way

• Options
    nurmalernurmaler Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

• Options

@BigA said:
    It all depends on whether the number remaining is real or not...real meaning are they waiting to package more. The Sunday sales number should tell us either way

It's real - pending returns. They strike them all at once. Retooling is expensive. The only unknown is how many returns/cancellations get returned to the pile. I would not expect very many given the orderly distribution.

That said, there is ZERO chance it sells out this week. It will go "unavailable" either this week or next. It usually takes them several weeks to go officially sold out.

• Options

@nurmaler said:

Thanks @nurmaler ! Unless there are a lot of returns we should be close.....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@nurmaler said:

Thanks @nurmaler ! Unless there are a lot of returns we should be close.....

Running at 1000 per day. That's a good rate still. One giant order could take it to "unavailable"

• Options
    edited August 20, 2018 12:14PM

It's real - pending returns. They strike them all at once.

Yup striking them and having packaging are two different things BUT I hope the number is correct. Any insight into the Sunday numbers report?

I'm just saying that because of the report of the orderability of 20,000 sets when the number available was under 9,000

• Options

I’m watching that one. According to PCGS they have graded about 550 of these and only 8% are 70....about 45....these will be really hard in 70 to come by if those numbers hold up.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

I think if these variety finish Kennedy's catch on, then it will sell out soon. The ones out there are $95 offer to $250 BIN which is more than the entire set.

I know several have bought more sets recently to see if they get better quarters or different Kennedy finishes than what they received at the start. Won't be first strike, but won't matter on some of these all that much, as they are just hard in 70 no matter what.

My experience with the early Kennedy's was one special shiny background of 19 sets that looked normal. That is 5% and not far off the idea of it just being one die not finished correctly. To me that is a viable mint error and they should be graded and slabbed as such. I wish I had more but at least I got one to see it in person.

• Options

@dmwest said:

I’m watching that one. According to PCGS they have graded about 550 of these and only 8% are 70....about 45....these will be really hard in 70 to come by if those numbers hold up.

Yes, I really wish whoever is bidding this quarter up would stop, as it is just making it expensive for both of us. If you let me get this one cheap, I promise not to bid on the next one, so you can get one at a low price too. B)

• Options

@BigA said:

Yup striking them and having packaging are two different things BUT I hope the number is correct. Any insight into the Sunday numbers report?

I'm just saying that because of the report of the orderability of 20,000 sets when the number available was under 9,000

I saw Mitch mention that... I'm not sure what he meant... It shows up in the cart - I can add a full 20k to the cart, but the system tells me to adjust the quantity...

• Options

@Goldminers said:

Yes, I really wish whoever is bidding this quarter up would stop, as it is just making it expensive for both of us. If you let me get this one cheap, I promise not to bid on the next one, so you can get one at a low price too. B)

well, I haven't bid on this one, but that won't stop the crazy bidding....there just aren't any other 70s for sale.....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@nurmaler said:

@BigA said:

I saw Mitch mention that... I'm not sure what he meant... It shows up in the cart - I can add a full 20k to the cart, but the system tells me to adjust the quantity...

Hmmmmm....THAT makes me think the number is real. Details, details

• Options

@BigA said:

Hmmmmm....THAT makes me think the number is real. Details, details

Unavailable Friday. I'll order 2000 more sets....just let me scratch off this lottery ticket.....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

If the last sets sold (maybe first struck on the back of the shelf in Memphis, who really knows?) have good Block quarters and shiny Kennedy's it will be a massive profit.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those severely itching to get a hold of the 70’s, MCM is offering their NGC 70’s at a meager $695 And they will allow you to spread it out into four payments.

HUGE MCM OFFER ON RARE PROOF 70 FIRST DAY OF ISSUE 2018 U.S. PROOF SET!!!

Me, I dig the packaging and the stuff inside, as is.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

Thanks for the update on the near $700 NGC price, surprisingly high to me, but I just only buy PCGS PR70's, so they will probably cost more, but a lot of raw sets have to be purchased to get them graded individually in 70 PCGS quality.

The one quarter is +/-$350 in PCGS PR70 alone at least for two or more people bidding.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@Goldminers said:

well, I haven't bid on this one, but that won't stop the crazy bidding....there just aren't any other 70s for sale.....

I bid itup to 300, > @Goldminers said:

Thanks for the update on the near $700 NGC price, surprisingly high to me, but I just only buy PCGS PR70's, so they will probably cost more, but a lot of raw sets have to be purchased to get them graded individually in 70 PCGS quality.

The one quarter is +/-$350 in PCGS PR70 alone at least for two or more people bidding.

I stand by my prediction that you are going to see the PCGS PR70 sets at $1000. Right now, I would seriously consider buying any in the $500 to $750 range.

of course, I also believe those sets may be cheaper next year if you want to wait and risk it. It's hard to know how much demand there is because there are so few sets out there trading.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    fYI (if you haven't already seen it)

That number ignores the ones that didn't> @Goldminers said:

If the last sets sold (maybe first struck on the back of the shelf in Memphis, who really knows?) have good Block quarters and shiny Kennedy's it will be a massive profit.

It just doesn't work that way.

If you've seen the minting videos for special sets like these - not normal business strikes - they mint a bunch of whatever and put them in trays. Then those will get assembled into sets. Right off the bat, everything in the same tray might be from one die, but which Block Island tray (1st or last) gets mixed with which SAC tray (first or last or in between). So coins in any set could have come from any order possible.

Further, they use multiple dies, so the last coins from one die will be in the same tray as the first coins from the replacement die. With 200,000 proof strikings their could be 20 or so die pairs.

Then, once they've assembled the individual plastics, they have to pair up quarters with non-quarters, allowing further shuffling.

Then they box them and ship them to the fulfillment center, causing three shuffles. They shuffle them while packing. They shuffle them while loading the trucks. And they shuffle them while unloading the trucks.

I would bet Palladium Proof Eagles that there is no way to predict what order any coin set was minted from the order they were shipped.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I saw Mitch mention that... I'm not sure what he meant... It shows up in the cart - I can add a full 20k to the cart, but the system tells me to adjust the quantity...”

In my investigatory efforts, the system did not tell me to adjust the quantity all the way up to the screen to push the button to buy them. That isn’t to say the order would have gone through if I did push that buy button. I would not be surprised if the Mint was down to 7,000-8,000 sets, although I am not sure if they would resell any of the returns, or not. Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2018 4:46PM

Two words not affiliated with the palladium proofs - milk spotting.
    My packaging don’t tone. But the coins inside are free to do whatever they would like.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

For those severely itching to get a hold of the 70’s, MCM is offering their NGC 70’s at a meager $695 And they will allow you to spread it out into four payments.

I grabbed some NGC ER 70 sets from Pinehurst Coins for $349.95 shipped...if you're not a FDI person

• Options

Numbers come out today....should be interesting.....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@dmwest said:
    Numbers come out today....should be interesting.....

We sort of already have them, don't we?

The only thing we're going to find out is the number of returns. Since there were only 7200 available yesterday, they "sold" 192,000+. I believe - correct me if I'm wrong - if the official sold number is (made-up) 180,000 then there are 12,000 returns sitting in a pile somewhere.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    We sort of already have them, don't we?

The only thing we're going to find out is the number of returns. Since there were only 7200 available yesterday, they "sold" 192,000+. I believe - correct me if I'm wrong - if the official sold number is (made-up) 180,000 then there are 12,000 returns sitting in a pile somewhere.

Right, that's what I' curious about..for the EU sets the numbers would come out and based on the current sets available, we found that the mint was missing like 25k sets....I'm just curious how far the number may be off or if it's close.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 432 ✭✭✭✭

I just purchased 3 more. Kind of an experiment to see if I get “sent back sets” this late in the game or do I get sets as nice as the first one I ordered. If they all are “inferior/damaged” then I will have an idea.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options

• Options

@nurmaler said:

Thanks again @nurmaler. That's 1364 since yesterdays count......by Friday, its Unavailable.

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

Yes the US Mint managed to "mint" 200,000 reverse proof coins and could not get even 1% of the Block island quarters in 70 condition because they have a "handling or tray" problem that obviously damages the coins mostly in the same place, so should be easy for a quality control person to see right away.

Oh, never mind, they don't have one of those quality control persons any more, as they probably quit, or committed suicide after seeing what they were responsible for.

I bought a Fox high relief silver from the Mongolian Mint and it was absolutely stunning, and yes, it graded 70.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    Yes the US Mint managed to "mint" 200,000 reverse proof coins and could not get even 1% of the Block island quarters in 70 condition because they have a "handling or tray" problem that obviously damages the coins mostly in the same place, so should be easy for a quality control person to see right away.

Oh, never mind, they don't have one of those quality control persons any more, as they probably quit, or committed suicide after seeing what they were responsible for.

I bought a Fox high relief silver from the Mongolian Mint and it was absolutely stunning, and yes, it graded 70.

Personally, I don't think 70 should be the standard.

That said, I don't think those Block quarters are even 69.

• Options

@Goldminers said:

I would like to see a picture of one with the issue and one without......photos, I need photos. :)

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018 11:04AM

@Goldminers said:

Can we see a photo of this please? I don't think I've seen a Mongolian Mint product before.

Edit to add
    I found the pix

• Options

I agree PCGS PR70 is not, and should not be the standard, but way less than 1% is pathetic quality, and clearly due to poor maintenance and management, and very many are not even 69's as you say. The US Mint should be held to a higher standard than just pump and dump for relatively expensive and limited edition proof coins.

• Options

@dmwest said:

@Goldminers said:

I would like to see a picture of one with the issue and one without......photos, I need photos. :)

You don't really need photos. I'll take some later if you want. It looks like a couple little scratches at the bust of the bust :)

It is obvious even with the naked eye, in a focal area, and distracting. I'm kind of surprised I didn't get any returns on the 75 sets I shipped out.

I'm also curious about the source of the lines. Why just the block quarters? If it were handling equipment or trays, wouldn't it be on all quarters? Could they have run 200,000 Block on only one press out of how ever many they have and not used that for any other coins?

Could it be on the dies themselves? For example someone damaged the hub after the first couple dies were made and so ended up with a bunch of damaged dies. Although they polish and etch them later, so that doesn't seem likely...

It is weird. Maybe it is supposed to be there as accent marks on the bust and the ones without the marks are defective. :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file