Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC) (Sold out...)

Comments

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe they are only interested in sets that depreciate in value

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    maybe they are only interested in sets that depreciate in value

I am literally laughing out loud. Too funny!

But...but....but...they're silver!!! How can $20 worth of silver that I paid $50 for go down in value?!?!?!? :wink:

• Options

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is the most fun I've had with a Mint product in a decade!

Frigging block Island quarters at $1500. PCGS 70 sets at TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!! When will the madness end?

I'm fascinated by the NGC/PCGS spread.

I'm also fascinated by the PCGS 69/PCGS 70 spread. Right now, there are 70 sets at $2000 and 69 sets at $150ish. Not to mention raw sets at $75 to $100 (although some still in the upper 60s).

I don't know whether to sell everything I have before the bubble bursts...or buy everything I can before the bubble expands. LOL.

I'll tell y'all this much: if they come available some morning, buy fast. Cuz I will place a giant order in as much time as it takes to type in my CCV code!

• Options

I sold a unopen box of 10 for a nice profit. I think I am going to wait awhile to sell anymore, I may even get the sets graded

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    I sold a unopen box of 10 for a nice profit. I think I am going to wait awhile to sell anymore, I may even get the sets graded

Yes, for now, you can flip sets for a profit. They may even go up a bit if the sell-out becomes official.

Such a fun month! Now, if NGC would just recognize the Kennedy variety...

Dear PCGS, please get stricter with the Block Island coins. Let's keep that pop down!

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2018 1:44PM

Block Island PCGS PR 70 pop is 71, in 69 1,488. When does the market meet demand for 70's?

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

as soon as everyone with a Registry set has one

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

The same general cycle with these types of mint products. If you want to make money sell immediately. Anyone want to bet what the PF70 block island sells for in (1) or (2) years? In two years I bet I can buy sets in their mint packaging for less than the price from the mint.

What were those gold Kennedy's selling for in 2014?

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

Inherently, perfectly preserved or not, this is just not that exciting a set. Slavishly, I bought a single set and don't really care that the Block quarter had the usual obv. issues at bust base. I mean, really, do people have nothing better to spend their money on numismatically?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:
    I've got two sets that normally would be returns...one with a flesh wound in George's face and another with a decent 1 1/2 inch mark on the plastic.....probably won't return them

I've got the same problem on one of my quarters. Yeah, looks like a flesh wound. I thought it might have just been something on the plastic, but nooo.

• Options

@nags said:
    The same general cycle with these types of mint products. If you want to make money sell immediately. Anyone want to bet what the PF70 block island sells for in (1) or (2) years? In two years I bet I can buy sets in their mint packaging for less than the price from the mint.

What were those gold Kennedy's selling for in 2014?

I'll take that second bet. If you can buy the sets for less than issue, sell ALL your coins because there aren't 200k Lincoln collectors. There aren't 200k Kennedy collectors.

Will block island be $2000 in 2 year's? Doubt it. But that's a separate issue from the issue price OGP. Heck, look at regular 2012 proof sets. I defy you to buy one at less than issue price.

• Options

@CoinCrazyPA said:
    Block Island PCGS PR 70 pop is 71, in 69 1,488. When does the market meet demand for 70's?

Unknown, but given the hundreds if NGC sets sold and current prices on PCGS sets, it's more than 71.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2018 4:48PM

@CoinCrazyPA said:

I just picked up 5 coins of the Block Island @ 69 grade PCGS but I cant say from who or how much. Thats all I am going to buy of these. I will keep my 3 boxes of 8 sets FS ready for the future. I got my 5 graded coins sure its a 69 but I bet I wont see anything with the naked eye. If they go up I can say that I got these 5 cheap. If they go down I still got them cheap It wont hurt me. jmlanzaf sells them I Gluggo buys them! ;)

• Options

@Gluggo said:

@CoinCrazyPA said:

I just picked up 5 coins of the Block Island @ 69 grade PCGS but I cant say from who or how much. Thats all I am going to buy of these. I will keep my 3 boxes of 8 sets FS ready for the future. I got my 5 graded coins sure its a 69 but I bet I wont see anything with the naked eye. If they go up I can say that I got these 5 cheap. If they go down I still got them cheap It wont hurt me.

LC Coins? $10 each + $3 shipping?

• Options
    edited August 29, 2018 6:19PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

@CoinCrazyPA said:

I just picked up 5 coins of the Block Island @ 69 grade PCGS but I cant say from who or how much. Thats all I am going to buy of these. I will keep my 3 boxes of 8 sets FS ready for the future. I got my 5 graded coins sure its a 69 but I bet I wont see anything with the naked eye. If they go up I can say that I got these 5 cheap. If they go down I still got them cheap It wont hurt me.

:o

Maybe Maybe not. B)

Plus there is no way they could sell these for $10.00 since it cost at least $22.00 in fee's just for the PCGS fees.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the registry 1999 to present Washington silver proof set, the 1999 Delaware PR70 pop is 354 and price now about $650 with over 800,000 minted.

Most silver quarters in this series like 2017 have PR70 pops of 1,000-2,000 and are worth only about $30 and yet only 84,248 were minted, less than half for these new ones in 2018.

The 2018's regular and reverse silver proofs have not been graded a lot yet. Most 2018 PR70 PCGS pops are in the 200-400 range currently, with the Block reverse being the exception at around 71 at the moment.

Most did not anticipate the low quality and difficulty of PR70 grades frankly of most all the 2018 silver quarters. There is no doubt the PR70 pops of these 2018's will increase over the next month or two. Then maybe some price stabilization will occur.

It is still probable that because the reverse Block is also a new type coin, and will be the condition key to this set, and required in other Washington sets, it could stay high priced similar to the 1999 Delaware and possibly more if the pop stays below maybe my guess around 200.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sorry to say the PR69 reverse Block quarter in that picture above has scratches in the usual spot.

I am in Washington and I am pretty sure I can see them all the way from Alaska with the naked eye on this computer screen.

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2018 5:21PM

All I need is a damn One Cent for my Dansco! :o:s

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

"only about"??? I'm surprised that the 200,000 people who bought the regular silver sets didn't immediately sell-out the reverse proof sets by buying one of those also.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that most silver proof set buyers do so passively with a subscription and aren’t aware of the reverse proofs.

• Options

we will probably be finding out who bought the last 5,000 sets soon. they will be selling the reject sets, after the pre-screening

• Options

@Along said:

"only about"??? I'm surprised that the 200,000 people who bought the regular silver sets didn't immediately sell-out the reverse proof sets by buying one of those also.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that most silver proof set buyers do so passively with a subscription and aren’t aware of the reverse proofs.

I agree. And that's one of the reasons I think this set still has room to run

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    I am sorry to say the PR69 reverse Block quarter in that picture above has scratches in the usual spot.

I am in Washington and I am pretty sure I can see them all the way from Alaska with the naked eye on this computer screen.

That is just a generic picture I am sure my 5 will be flawless! :p

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

2018 S 25C Silver Reverse Proof Block Island Quarter PCGS PR70 First Strike
    $1,500.59
    Condition: --
    Ended: Aug 29, 2018, 06:09:49 PM PDT

This is one wild and crazy thing going on with these PF70 Reverse Proof Block Islands.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 956 ✭✭✭✭

@FullStrike said:
    2018 S 25C Silver Reverse Proof Block Island Quarter PCGS PR70 First Strike
    $1,500.59
    Condition: --
    Ended: Aug 29, 2018, 06:09:49 PM PDT

That $1675 PR70 set from yesterday is looking like a pretty good deal....

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

@Gluggo said:

@Goldminers said:

If it's LC Coins, I bought 6 last week and they aren't flawless. Then again, they are 69s, they don't need to be flawless.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

@Goldminers said:

If it's LC Coins, I bought 6 last week and they aren't flawless. Then again, they are 69s, they don't need to be flawless.

Yes I got them from L&C my secret coin pickup company. :)

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭

I ended up getting two PCGS PR70 Kennedy’s FS today from my submissions. I’m happy I had the two out of the ten sets. I had sent in eight various coins from the sets.
    After hearing of the problems with the Block Island quarters I decided to check my ten. I found one that appears to have no marks or fine scratches on the obverse. I might have to send it in for a grade.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2018 6:38PM

HSN has ANACS 70s Reverse Proof Quarters FDOI for $169 right now. Only 600 in the set.

• Options

he never bought from LC coins, the last person to buy a 5 or more was the person above when they were 13 each

https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=382538245230&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2564

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    he never bought from LC coins, the last person to buy a 5 or more was the person above when they were 13 each

https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=382538245230&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2564

could have bought directly

• Options

@coinpalice said:

oh, and 6@$13 was me.

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 432 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, my last 3 sets arrived today. I could tell all three had been previously opened so that tells me they were returns. 2 of them had the Block scratches. 1 was perfect, no scratches at all. This gives me two clean Blocks and two crappy ones. What is kind of different is the Kennedys. They are all very clean but they are the the silvery looking ones, not frosted. So I have 1 frosted, 3 non frosted. I have decided to keep all three sets as the positives outweighed the negatives.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    edited August 29, 2018 6:52PM

@Tunis said:
    Ok, my last 3 sets arrived today. I could tell all three had been previously opened so that tells me they were returns. 2 of them had the Block scratches. 1 was perfect, no scratches at all. This gives me two clean Blocks and two crappy ones. What is kind of different is the Kennedys. They are all very clean but they are the the silvery looking ones, not frosted. So I have 1 frosted, 3 non frosted. I have decided to keep all three sets as the positives outweighed the negatives.

Supposedly they do not resell the returns.

The later ones have been very high in the "light finish" Kennedy's for some reason.

I mean, what happened to the last 10,000+ EU sets?

• Options

it would be foolish to return any now, they are selling for a premium

• Options

Not too sure about that based on my experience. The packaging was definitely opened on all 3. One of the boxes actually was partially opened when I opened the shipping box. The only thing that is throwing me off is that one of the sets has a super clean Block. I can’t imagine why that one was returned unless they didn’t like the Kennedy.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options

@Tunis said:
    Not too sure about that based on my experience. The packaging was definitely opened on all 3. One of the boxes actually was partially opened when I opened the shipping box. The only thing that is throwing me off is that one of the sets has a super clean Block. I can’t imagine why that one was returned unless they didn’t like the Kennedy.

I don't know. They can come partially open in transit. One of the first boxes I had during week 1 had a couple that had partially open flaps. It was definitely not a return.

The later ones have been running 75% Kennedy varieties. So, unless everyone was returning their Kennedys, I would guess they all came from the one die run. Maybe the set-aside overproduction run was done first with the unfinished die or dies?

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

@CoinCrazyPA said:

I just got one for $10 + free shipping. Thanks @jmlanzaf

• Options
    edited August 29, 2018 7:10PM

@coinpalice said:

Geez coin why would I lie? You want to see my bank account? How about my tax returns? Why are you so concerned about what I say do you really think I would lie about buying 5 coins at $10.00 a piece. Really lets be adults now. Now I am not trying to upset you ok. Dont fire back we all get along here. OK back to the discussion. And yes I always buy direct unless its cheaper on Ebay then I buy Ebay. Why give Ebay the 10% vig.? Ohhh thats right Kud free shipping.

But that is interesting coin that he was selling them at $13.00 and has dropped the price to $10.00 each. You cant get that price if you tried on PCGS there going to rake you for at least $22.00 a coin plus their $22,00 shipping What a racket! Thats quiet a vig.

• Options

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough with my description. When the package is “Mint” fresh it is hard to open without creating creases or a buckled look to the end of the package. One of the packages had some serious creasing going on and the other one was not able close completely as it appeared to be very loose. Just saying.

• Options

I just checked out that site, LC Coins. I've never been there. I pulled up one of the Block Island quarters graded PCGS 70 and I looked at the photo with it, Georges neck is all scratched up there too!!?! Unless they're using different pictures for the actual coins, that doesn't make any sense.

• Options

Actually Gluggo, I went to L & C direct. I have an account there. Maybe that's why I got free shipping.

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    Actually Gluggo, I went to L & C direct. I have an account there. Maybe that's why I got free shipping.

I have an account too free shipping here too.

They must be offering that to its customers, maybe keeping up with MCM.

• Options

@Onastone said:
    I just checked out that site, LC Coins. I've never been there. I pulled up one of the Block Island quarters graded PCGS 70 and I looked at the photo with it, Georges neck is all scratched up there too!!?! Unless they're using different pictures for the actual coins, that doesn't make any sense.

When mine come in I will post some pictures

• Options

@Onastone said:

The 4 Block Island 70s that I had each had at least a trace of the lines on George's neck. Worse on the 69s, mind you, but visible on the 70s also.

The 70 population is NOT going to just explode on these unless PCGS relaxes their standards. Finding a true flawless 70 on Block Island is damn near impossible.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, as I mentioned a few days ago, the run-up is due to low pop and registry wants by those that want/"need" to keep the perfect score going.

First one who updates keeps top spot as long as they are top with ratings.
    Low pop risks price going up and, given the quality on the neck, not many coming out and being harder to get (also a risk that a few batches were actually good and pop greatly increases but, from what I have seen and heard that isn't as likely....doesn't mean the pop still doesn't increase as there are a lot of raw sets out there but is unlikely to go up huge)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2018 4:32AM

@Tunis said:
    . I can’t imagine why that one was returned unless they didn’t like the Kennedy.

Yup....the uninformed looked at the Kennedy and said "This is not an RP half" and back they went...Mint looked at them and said "Really?" and put them back into inventory.

Just a theory but I hope it's valid since I have 10 sets coming that were ordered after they went "Currently unavailable"

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    @Onastone

I wish someone in San Francisco, would go ask to see the Mint Director in person, and show them the problem and ask them what happened.

Or maybe start one of those flash protests that Facebook does, and have a live protest about the Block quarter inequality, in front of the Mint.

An issue like this should be addressed like any other significant corporate misstep. This is no minor problem to be swept under the rug, as it significantly undermines confidence in their collector products.

The Mint should do a thorough assessment, find the source of the problem, and have a press release explaining exactly what happened.

If 98% of an issue is faulty, the responsible thing to do would be make their clients whole by minting and redistributing a new batch of quarters. If not, this would be an ideal time for a class action lawsuit.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

@Onastone said:

@Goldminers said:
    I just think there is a Block Island coin problem in general. I have been trying to find one REGULAR silver Block Island quarter in PCGS PR70, and no luck for months.

Are you saying that the regular silver sets have scratches too? Now I'm going to look a lot closer at the ones I have.

I checked my regular proof silver quarters and they are okay, no neck scratch varieties.

• Options

L&C Coins: Order #13064 has been completed;

Looks like I made it in time! Whew!

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    L&C Coins: Order #13064 has been completed;

Looks like I made it in time! Whew!

Same here (except for the order number LOL)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file