Home Sports Talk
Options

Urban Meyer on paid leave ?

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

to be fair I called it a disgrace a week ago . :D

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lost are the 52,000 OSU students that outside of watching games, have no involvement with the football program. For a couple of years they will have a bit of stench on their once gilt edged resume. They will still get the job, but today the OSU pedigree has a bit of an odor. Not as bad as the wretched Penn State name, but a bit tarnished nonetheless.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2018 2:47PM

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/08/urban-meyers-suspension-shorter-than-penalty-for-student-athletes-who-sold-shoes?utm_source=outbrain_ftw&utm_medium=recirc&utm_campaign=rail

These investigations go so much smoother when you are allowed to investigate yourself.    

While its true I slept with your much younger and hotter sister hon , I did a thorough investigation and have decided to take 3 weeks off from work and hope I learn a lesson.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2018 4:40PM

I’d like to interject that these are real people and there is no one size fits all approach - in these (or any) cases - when it comes to justice.

I never understood when a high school teacher that I had said always and never are two of the more dangerous words that exist. But I get it now.

Also, each person is the sum total of their experiences AND decisions. Domestic violence cases are always difficult to investigate and prosecute for so many reasons. And no matter the outcome, those involved are rarely ‘better off’ once charges are filed or a verdict is rendered - even when it is the desired outcome...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Lost are the 52,000 OSU students that outside of watching games, have no involvement with the football program. For a couple of years they will have a bit of stench on their once gilt edged resume. They will still get the job, but today the OSU pedigree has a bit of an odor. Not as bad as the wretched Penn State name, but a bit tarnished nonetheless.

<<< the wretched Penn State name >>>

You obviously haven't been paying attention to current events, and this article was written over three years ago.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/smizik-on-sports/2015/01/16/Bob-Smizik-Penn-State-exonerated-NCAA-humiliated/stories/201501160226

Penn State exonerated; NCAA humiliated

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭✭

The only snowflake I see here is you 1970s. Looks like I was spot on with my assessment of you.

Robb

• Options

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

You obviously haven't been paying attention to current events, and this article was written over three years ago.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/smizik-on-sports/2015/01/16/Bob-Smizik-Penn-State-exonerated-NCAA-humiliated/stories/201501160226

Sure I missed it. I don't get the Pittsburgh paper which can be eminently trusted to stick to the facts (insert eyeroll guy).

""To use his own words, he wished he had done more. And the failure to do so no doubt went with him to his grave. But it was a lapse in judgment, not a deliberate attempt to give a bit more room to the monster named Jerry Sandusky.""

Paterno knew that the day that the Sandusky story broke would be his last as head coach and he dummied up. Hope that the victims that he could have protected urinate on his grave.

• Options

Meanwhile they are now rounding up priests in PA , must be something in the water, I mean its not safe to shower in right?

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

Sure I missed it. I don't get the Pittsburgh paper which can be eminently trusted to stick to the facts (insert eyeroll guy).

""To use his own words, he wished he had done more. And the failure to do so no doubt went with him to his grave. But it was a lapse in judgment, not a deliberate attempt to give a bit more room to the monster named Jerry Sandusky.""

Paterno knew that the day that the Sandusky story broke would be his last as head coach and he dummied up. Hope that the victims that he could have protected urinate on his grave.

@orioles93 said:

@1970s said:

@bronco2078 said:

@1970s said:
    Robb,

If you were falsely accused of something you think that makes this douche Zach Smith innocent automatically ,

Mark this down as dumbest post of the year.

Zach Smith is innocent according to the police report.

Are you saying he's guilty ???

If you are, then you disagree with the police.

You do realize that Sandusky was innocent according to the police after an investigation was done in 1998? The police aren’t always right.

The haters never wish to acknowledge the facts when it interferes with their blind hate.

It's interesting that Sandusky "retired" in 1999 at the age of 55 at the height of his coaching career. Nobody does that voluntarily. It's quite obvious that Paterno in private forced Sandusky to retire.

So Paterno got rid of Sandusky from his coaching staff. The police investigated Sandusky...and yet the haters still want to blame Paterno. It's not logical and frankly it detracts from the heinous crimes of Jerry Sandusky.

Jerry Sandusky is the despicable criminal, not Joe Paterno...and no amount of revisionist history will ever change that fact.

BTW - Penn State is back, better than ever...the school, the football program, the students, and the alums, and I believe the best is yet to come.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be it Politicians,Sports figures,Celebrities, etc. who get in trouble:No one ever lies, they just don't tell one everything. ;)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

New NCAA rule should be that if any coach gets a 300 post thread on CU, they are out. No questions asked!

• Options

300!!!

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:

Although there are a good number of Pittsburgh students who attend Penn State, it would be incorrect to consider a Pittsburgh newspaper to be a "homer" for Penn State as you implied. There are a number of colleges in Pittsburgh such as the University of Pittsburgh, which was where Dan Marino played football.

I'm not familiar with the Post Gazette, but I know the Philadelphia Inquirer has never been a homer for Penn State for the exact same reason.

The Philadelphia area has some of the finest colleges in the country, and the Inquirer might be considered a homer for them, but not for Penn State whose main campus is in the center of the state, far from Pittsburgh or Philadelphia.

• Options
    edited August 24, 2018 6:34AM

I love going to PSU for games. I was at the first Michigan- Penn State game. I was there with ex Michigan QB John Wrangler. We actually sat on the goal line where Michigan held PSU out of the end zone from the 1 on four straight runs. After the game we saw a Joe Pa dummy complete with glasses hung in effigy from a frat house tree. We said, “dayum they take this chit seriously”

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's easy to judge people until you walk in their shoes. ;)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

Exactly. Just like young black athletes who grew up in abject poverty who want to make a point on social issues.

m

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's easy to judge people until you walk in their shoes. ;) > @Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Exactly. Just like young black athletes who grew up in abject poverty who want to make a point on social issues.

m

Mark....I'm not judging the kneelers point.....just when and where they are doing it. ;) I hope the NFL steps up and puts an end to this before the season starts!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    It's easy to judge people until you walk in their shoes. ;) > @Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

m

Mark....I'm not judging the kneelers point.....just when and where they are doing it. ;) I hope the NFL steps up and puts an end to this before the season starts!

So sad that the NFL just continues to allow this to fester and fester and fester.

• Options

I'm pretty sure the current president said he would solve the violence issues in Chicago in only a week. How did that go? Chicago is at 2000 shootings and counting so far this year.

As for Al Sharpton, he has been to Chicago more times than the current president. He was there last summer meeting with leaders of the community to try and come up with solutions while the president was at one of his many country clubs relaxing and playing golf.

Of course, you are conflating separate issues but that is pretty typical of how these discussions go.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    I'm pretty sure the current president said he would solve the violence issues in Chicago in only a week. How did that go? Chicago is at 2000 shootings and counting so far this year.

As for Al Sharpton, he has been to Chicago more times than the current president. He was there last summer meeting with leaders of the community to try and come up with solutions while the president was at one of his many country clubs relaxing and playing golf.

Of course, you are conflating separate issues but that is pretty typical of how these discussions go.

Robb

I see no mention of Rahm Emmanuel in your post.

• Options

1970s, I appreciate the compliment LOL++

Robb

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2018 2:47PM

@1970s said:

Do me a favor and live in your fake news life. This guy is freaking innocent according to the police report, and until that report changes, I will defend him and Urban Meyer because THEY ARE INNOCENT.

Let's recap:

Urban Meyer is a public employee. He is charged with the welfare of students, some of whom are minors. In the course of his duties, he is the supervisor of many other public employees. As such, he has some measure of responsibility if their actions do not meet the standards of good conduct expected from an employee of Ohio State. In his duties as supervisor, Meyer became aware of, but did not reprimand his subordinate in writing (so as to not leave an official trail), the following:

• allegations of domestic abuse - multiple times.
    • drug abuse
    • tardiness
    • failure to show up for work, including schedule recruiting visits
    • DUI arrest
    • inappropriate behavior while on official business at the White House
    • running up a large bill at a strip club while on an official recruiting visit

Meyer himself:

• sought advice on how to respond to questions about the 2015 domestic violence incident prior to a press conference, then walked into the press conference and denied knowing about the incident
    • repeatedly gave incorrect, misleading, or false information to the people investigating his conduct, as concluded by those performing the investigation
    • knew about the incident from 2015 in 2015 and then fired Smith for it in 2018. In other words, he knowingly retained an employee for THREE YEARS who he knew had committed a fireable offense.
    • sought advice on how to remove texts from his phone over a certain age and then, coincidentally, his phone had no texts on it over that age. The seeking of advice on this matter came AFTER his lying at the press conference.

The investigation concluded that Meyer refused to punish or discipline or fire Smith - even though it was recommended he be fired by AD Smith - because Smith is the grandson of Earle Bruce, Meyer's mentor. In other words, Meyer retained a guy for three years after a fireable offense, let him have charge over students, while knowing he had a long history of inappropriate and illegal behavior - because the guy's grandfather was nice to Meyer.

Now, replace the name "Urban Meyer" in all of that with "Math Department Chair Lou Finkelbein" and tell me the guy doesn't get fired.

• Options

Don't discount the influence of the Finkelbein quadrant!

• Options

Who is the "he" we're referring to here?

• Options

And the standard is not "did Urban Meyer break the law?" but "did he do stuff that's worthy of being fired?" By pretty much any standard, he definitely did the latter.

• Options

@Tabe said:

Finkelbein

• Options

Tabe, please don't try and confuse 1970s with facts as he will then resort to memes. LOL+

Robb

• Options

Do you really need to bring a coach up on charges to fire him? Missing the playoffs will do it most of the time in the pros.

Why just 6 months ago if LeBron said I don't like Urban Meyer he'd have been gone. He might still be able to do it from LA

• Options

I think it is pretty clear that 1970s doesn't actually understand what conflate means.

Robb

• Options

@1970s said:
    Still haven't answered what this stand up citizen is doing to help the African-American atrocities in inner cities like Chicago, Oakland, Detroit, etc., etc. LOL+

Y M C A its fun to stay at the Y M C A but seriously wheres the indian chief and hardhat guy?

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Tabe said:

Finkelbein

You should see that guy's rap sheet.

• Options

@1970s said:
    This month in Chicago..................................

Nearly 60 people were shot in Chicago over the weekend, six of them fatally, including two missing teenage boys found dead in a field late Sunday night. The bloodshed made for the second most violent weekend of the year in Chicago, and the second weekend this month at least 60 people were shot.

Those players need to get up there and get out the vote for a republican . When these urban areas suffer the most is after decades of democratic politicians Not that the dems have a monopoly on corruption but if you let one party be in charge for decades then you are doomed. Up here in Mass we'd be in the same boat but we have had repub governors to cancel out the crooked dems in the state house. Not exaggerating when I say crooked dems , why one of the losers was whitey bulgers brother :D . Oh my brother is a gangster sure but I only see him at christmas . Don't get me started on Rhode Island , to be mayor of Providence you are required to be a felon. Look it up its a rule.

• Options

@1970s said:

@Tabe said:

Either one. Urban or Zach. You said he had "a long history of illegal behavior".
    I am simply asking you to name one thing either one of them was convicted of in a court
    of law.

"long history of inappropriate and illegal behavior" was the phrase I used.

One need not be convicted to have done something illegal.

Banging an admin in Ohio State's school facilities is illegal. Taking dirty photos at the White House is illegal. Driving while drunk is illegal.

First two are admitted and confirmed. Can't deny they happened. Third one is a bit of a gray area since it was "just" an arrest.

• Options

Ole Urban is just a poor judge of character . Why rumor has it he tried to hire Sandusky to be the locker room towel boy. Zach Smith of all people told him it might be a bad idea.