Home Sports Talk
Options

Urban Meyer on paid leave ?

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I am not "up to speed" on the Meyer subject. He DID report it? Too bad the victim didn't report it to the police instead of telling her friends.

Meyer claims he reported it. He released an "open letter" that essentially served as his defense against a "for cause" firing.
    Of course, he also denied knowing about it. So...pick which version you believe.

Courtney Smith did report multiple 2015 incidents to the police.

I guess I had better stop posting on this thread.

She reported the abuse to the police and yet her friends husband knew about it so he's going to be fired?

Has the alleged abusive husband been charged or convicted by the authorities?

I haden't realized that I had died and went to you know where.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Urban will walk with a zero to four game suspension. 3 of the 6 person panel are OSU trustees

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    All these examples are just proving my point that it’s important to wait and get all the facts before idiots start calling for people’s jobs right away.

Yes...with the influence that this forum has with the NCAA and NFL, it is important that we measure our responses.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2018 12:45PM

@JoeBanzai said:

@Tabe said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I am not "up to speed" on the Meyer subject. He DID report it? Too bad the victim didn't report it to the police instead of telling her friends.

Meyer claims he reported it. He released an "open letter" that essentially served as his defense against a "for cause" firing.
    Of course, he also denied knowing about it. So...pick which version you believe.

Courtney Smith did report multiple 2015 incidents to the police.

I guess I had better stop posting on this thread.

She reported the abuse to the police and yet her friends husband knew about it so he's going to be fired?

Has the alleged abusive husband been charged or convicted by the authorities?

I haden't realized that I had died and went to you know where.

the bought off local cops in these college towns are always cleaning up after these little situations. Some rumpswab Ohio state alumni makes a phone call to the chief and down the memory hole goes any paperwork.

It's getting tougher though now where everyone has a camera phone and an always on connection to the internet

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:
    All these examples are just proving my point that it’s important to wait and get all the facts before idiots start calling for people’s jobs right away.

What winds up happening to Urban will be based purely on whether firing him will cost less money than keeping him. If some sponsors decide to boycott a TV show then hes gone, if a major donor pulls back on money then hes gone. If he is proven innocent but a sponsor pulls back for PR reasons he is gone.

Or if he didn’t do anything wrong he is fine and everyone overreacted as usual

• Options

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

What winds up happening to Urban will be based purely on whether firing him will cost less money than keeping him. If some sponsors decide to boycott a TV show then hes gone, if a major donor pulls back on money then hes gone. If he is proven innocent but a sponsor pulls back for PR reasons he is gone.

If he didn't do anything wrong and they think it might cost them money then he goes anyway . If he kills a guy drunk driving and the sponsors don't care then he stays, its all about the benjamins.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

If he didn't do anything wrong and they think it might cost them money then he goes anyway . If he kills a guy drunk driving and the sponsors don't care then he stays, its all about the benjamins.

I know it’s all about the Money, that’s why if he didn’t do anything wrong he stays because having a successful program equals money. You don’t just fire the head coach of Ohio State a few weeks before the season starts because a few weirdo liberals act up

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

bronco, it's hard to argue with that logic.

• Options

I just can't wrap my head around people who are that interested in college football in the first place. I'm just picturing a lot of frustrated Al Bundy types dreaming about their own little polk high heroics while waiting to topple into the grave B)

I'm 50 I went to college and have been out for more than 25 years . I never give it a second thought , would never donate money to either of the colleges I went to. I paid to go there :D duh , oh here is more money to pay some coach big bucks to run the part that has nothing to do with learning anything. There is no money to pay the players though :D

Its all circus lately with no bread in sight.

• Options

For the record I rarely watch College Football and couldn’t care less about Ohio State. I’m a Notre Dame fan

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2018 3:45AM

I cant think of another sport that is more exciting than college football. Or even comes close. I used to feel the same way about the NFL, before it turned into an arena-football like league. The college game continues to grow in popularity. The college football season goes by fast, where every weekend is important. Pro hockey, NBA, and MLB, the regular seasons are long and boring.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

I used to enjoy college a lot more when each team had their different styles of offense. I formation, Wishbone, Triple Option, pass heavy, run heavy. Now everyone save a few teams run pro style

• Options
    edited August 11, 2018 3:56AM

@perkdog said:
    I used to enjoy college a lot more when each team had their different styles of offense. I formation, Wishbone, Triple Option, pass heavy, run heavy. Now everyone save a few teams run pro style

Not true at all . Not even close. The only conference that is comparable to pro style is the BIG 12. PAC 12 to a certain degree also.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

I just can't wrap my head around people who are that interested in college football in the first place. I'm just picturing a lot of frustrated Al Bundy types dreaming about their own little polk high heroics while waiting to topple into the grave B)

I'm 50 I went to college and have been out for more than 25 years . I never give it a second thought , would never donate money to either of the colleges I went to. I paid to go there :D duh , oh here is more money to pay some coach big bucks to run the part that has nothing to do with learning anything. There is no money to pay the players though :D

Don't you buy the coach is earning a profit for the school? That is why he is paid 20% of team revenue to kick over Gatorade buckets and throw headsets. Buy the same economics, the head of General Motors would be paid thirty billion dollars a year.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@bronco2078 said:

Don't you buy the coach is earning a profit for the school? That is why he is paid 20% of team revenue to kick over Gatorade buckets and throw headsets. Buy the same economics, the head of General Motors would be paid thirty billion dollars a year.

No the players are earning a profit, they are getting nothing, and these coaches are parasites.

• Options

@garnettstyle said:

@perkdog said:

Not true at all . Not even close. The only conference that is comparable to pro style is the BIG 12. PAC 12 to a certain degree also.

Oh ok so Nebraska does the Power I? Oklahoma does the wishbone? Notre Dame does the option?

• Options

@1970s said:

@perkdog said:

Oh ok so Nebraska does the Power I? Oklahoma does the wishbone? Notre Dame does the option?

Yeah, I miss the 70s as well. The wishbone can be found at Air Force and Navy I believe.
    The Power I really doesn't exist anymore.

Exactly my point, I loved the 80’s

• Options

Make no mistake. They're getting a $100,000 education paid for free

exactly, start paying the players a salary and stop all tuition, they'll need to spend their salaries to attend. that will stop the "pay the players" movement in it's tracks

• Options

@1970s said:

@perkdog said:

Yeah, I miss the 70s as well. The wishbone can be found at Air Force and Navy I believe.

Still a lot more variety in college than in pro.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@1970s said:

@perkdog said:

Exactly my point, I loved the 80’s

You are right about this. Even in the pros certain teams had styles associated with them for years. Now everyone does the same crap and copies the other guy .

College teams don't need 10 million dollar coaches to do the power I . They are all spending a fortune to bore people with some sad imitation of pro football . You can't do that in a college setting with players graduating out every 4 years.

If you like the nostalgic part of the college game , traditional rivalries and all that , cheer up because the relentless thirst for money is putting a blowtorch to that.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Options

@garnettstyle said:
    I cant think of another sport that is more exciting than college football. Or even comes close. I used to feel the same way about the NFL, before it turned into an arena-football like league. The college game continues to grow in popularity. The college football season goes by fast, where every weekend is important. Pro hockey, NBA, and MLB, the regular seasons are long and boring.

You are actually making the case that all sports suck and college football is just circling the drain a little further out. :D . Why are those other seasons too long ? TV money and concession sales and gate receipts are the product not sports. The powers that be in the sports world want you to spend spend spend and if they could get away with selling tickets to watch old black and white newsreel footage of leather helmet football they would be all over it.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Options

yeah, I stand corrected. it should have been free tuition or tuition assistance that the players get, scholarships, I guess. I think if that happened things would get dicey as NCAA schools bid against each other and High School seniors hired agents. the more I think about this the more I am against any form of payment to student athletes.

• Options
    edited August 11, 2018 12:32PM

@1970s said:

@garnettstyle said:

@1970s said:

Still a lot more variety in college than in pro.

Very true. But back in the 70s many powerhouse teams were running the bone and triple option. Oklahoma and Nebraska ran it to a T. Just look at the 1996 National Championship game between Nebraska and Florida. Kind of an "End of an Era" game as Tom Osborne was near the end of his career and the Passing Offense was really beginning to take over in college football.

Steve Spurrier's Florida Gators got trounced 62-24 by Nebraska's option game. Then Tom retired, and so did the advanced running attacks for that matter. Only Air Force and Navy really kept it going.

So yes, there is a lot more variety in college then in the pros, but nothing like we had in the 70s and 80s.

Georgia Tech and Army runs the triple option.

• Options

@1970s said:

@bronco2078 said:

No the players are earning a profit, they are getting nothing, and these coaches are parasites.

Make no mistake. They're getting a $100,000 education paid for free. And you won't hear about it, but they're getting free meals anywhere they want in town, free rides, free girls, and their families are sometimes taken care of very well.

I'd say college football and college basketball athletes are some of the most well taken care of college kids in the country.

What is the option other than giving the student the $100,000 scholarship. Is $10,000,000 coach Jim Harbaugh going to walk into the Grand Blvd home of a 5 star recruit and say gee, laMarr, you can start at QB next season...I just need a $25,000 cashiers check for your first year's tuition?

• Options

Star athlete, willing to QB for a hamburger a day and a cardboard box to sleep in. Plus the awesome BA in underwater basket weaving of course, thats worth an extra 50 cents an hour at MCD's .

The degree might be "valued at 100,000 but its essentially worthless. It might be valued at 100,000 but it probably costs the school about 5 grand. Plus lodging I suppose . A cot in a concrete bunkhouse , say 3 bucks a night times whatever.

I hear Harbaugh needs a raise he is struggling to make ends meet, he has been sooooo successful he really deserves it.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's be clear: Not all players are on scholarship but they're all required to follow the same non-payment rules

Let's be clear: Scholarship students in every other area are allowed to take jobs related to their scholarships without issue (music students - like the band guys that play at the games - can take music gigs or teach lessons)

Let's be clear: If "free tuition and room/board" (for SOME athletes) is such an awesome compensation package, why isn't Nick Saban or Jim Harbaugh "paid" in the same fashion?

• Options

I have a relative from an area where this toolbag used to work, down there they call him Urban Liar . They also say he does ok with players someone else recruited and once those guys age out he will be a failure.

Interestingly enough they also mentioned he liked college girls , which would be ok if he wasn't married and something blew up in that area and he had to fake an illness to sweep something under a rug. Supposedly close to a million dollars was also required .

If the part about the recruits is true then how much longer would he last anyway? Sometimes with these scandals its more a case of looking for a reason to fire someone and fortune smiles on you and puts the cross-hairs on them just when you needed it.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's 73-8 at Ohio. He ain't winning with somebody else's players.

Yes, it hurt to write that.

• Options

We are approaching the 2 week decision deadline....

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

If they want to do a proper whitewash it might take a little longer.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

Ouch. It may take longer

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-zach-smith-took-lewd-photos-white-house-sex-ohio-state-staffer-225959537.html

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Urban Meyer left Florida in the middle of a brilliant career there.

The real reason is the stuff of legend and I wouldn’t be surprised if it has happened again...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

Ouch. It may take longer

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-zach-smith-took-lewd-photos-white-house-sex-ohio-state-staffer-225959537.html

mark

I guess that I'm getting old. I don't even know what some of that chit is that they are talking about.

illicit male apparel? And I don't wish to know. :p

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

Wonder if there will be enough paint.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2018 3:43AM

Oh my...not at the White House... :*

• Options

I have a relative from an area where this toolbag used to work

we're having enough trouble figuring this out via the media, should we really indulge in vile and biased speculation?? there is an old saying that comes to mind about living in glass houses. maybe we should look at your relative(s) or the people who perpetuate this kind of stuff. I doubt they are lily white and upstanding moral examples of the citizenry. I bet they are more like most of us, with skeletons in their closet and strong opinions of what they think happened.

• Options

@keets said:
    I have a relative from an area where this toolbag used to work

we're having enough trouble figuring this out via the media, should we really indulge in vile and biased speculation?? there is an old saying that comes to mind about living in glass houses. maybe we should look at your relative(s) or the people who perpetuate this kind of stuff. I doubt they are lily white and upstanding moral examples of the citizenry. I bet they are more like most of us, with skeletons in their closet and strong opinions of what they think happen

But seriously , does the 23 year old college girl have to be named and shamed a la monica lewinsky ? Thats what the payoff was for , to bury the name. These names don't get out unless someone wants the name out , which means more money has to be spread around.

You only have to look at a picture of Urban meyer's face to figure out he is guilty. He has that same stick up the butt expression as bill B . These coach aholes think they are lord of their own little manor while the team is winning but when they aren't it comes apart pretty quick.

Here is how sports works , he is the coach they win you love him , they lose you hate him. The same fan is first biased towards then against the same person because of a win loss record. At the point when the team is losing a scandal being put forward is how the firing is done. Its a simple formula , and it always works , because there are always scandals being hidden by the defenders of the person. Because money

• Options

@1970s said:

@bronco2078 said:

But seriously , does the 23 year old college girl have to be named and shamed a la monica lewinsky ?

Monica and this 23 year old girl are of legal age ???
    They are both consenting adults ???
    You do realize what Monica was doing to HRC ???
    I guess there's no shame in that ???

I suppose she could have divorced billy boy after the first 50 "incidents" though if it bothered her. Like water off a duck's back at that point

• Options

@1970s said:

@bronco2078 said:

@1970s said:

@bronco2078 said:

But seriously , does the 23 year old college girl have to be named and shamed a la monica lewinsky ?

Monica and this 23 year old girl are of legal age ???
    They are both consenting adults ???
    You do realize what Monica was doing to HRC ???
    I guess there's no shame in that ???

I suppose she could have divorced billy boy after the first 50 "incidents" though if it bothered her. Like water off a duck's back at that point

So basically no shame for anyone involved. Just a bunch of people enjoying the limelight, the sex, the partying, and the headlines. Then it's safe to assume they love the attention, whether it be positive or negative ? If they don't care about ruining other people's lives, why should they
    care about someone ruining their own life ?

Well its only a scandal because for some reason people treat college football coaches as heros. I suppose though, if you sent all college fans to therapy the bill would eclipse the national debt so we are stuck with it.

• Options

something else to think about , for those that think this is a witch hunt. Name another time this has happened to a major coach or sports figure where it turned out that it was all made up. You can't :D every time someone flicks that kitchen light on you see nothing but cockroaches scuttling in every direction. At best you can come up with a few names of people that fled town moments before the SHTF . Pete Carroll in USC . Joe Paterno ..... no scratch that he was guilty and even poisoning him didn't save Penn state . :D

• Options

the "investigation" is supposed to be completed tomorrow with some word on disciplinary action next weekend. I know domestic violence is a touchy subject and Urban Meyer is a much despised man and HC around here, I even initially thought he was probably doomed. as facts have come to light and more will be revealed tomorrow and in the days to come, the picture may get clearer and better understood. the trouble is that people will continue to believe what they want to believe despite what evidence says.

• Options

Remember the investigation about Ray Rice. It didn't find the video , it turns out because the NFL already had it. There was that Carolina panthers investigation too. And then the deflate gate investigation. They seem to start with the answer they wanted and work backwards. B) .

Here is your check in advance , and here is what your conclusions will be at the end , do us a big favor and make it look legit

I did an investigation once , and it turns out Sgt. Schultz didn't know hogan and the boys were up to anything. I mean , I asked him if he knew , he said , "I know nothing" so it was pretty conclusive

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

idk what is going to happen to urban cowboy, but this zach smith character is an unbelievable piece of work

• Options
    edited August 18, 2018 1:28PM

@galaxy27 said:
    idk what is going to happen to urban cowboy, but this zach smith character is an unbelievable piece of work

He took photos of himself cheating on his old lady in case he ever need to blackmail himself. That is thinking way outside the box. But seriously , Urban vouched for him so he is ok

I think its pretty cool how they can say the investigation will be over Sunday, I wonder if they do that with murders too? Like we have 3 days to solve this case , no overtime hours people . If you don't have it solved just frame whoever, randomly chosen deadlines are super important.