Home Sports Talk
Options

Urban Meyer on paid leave ?

1970s1970s Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is this ? If I'm innocent, then I'm saying, heck no, I'm staying here and coaching my team because I did no wrong. What has this world come to ? OK - If he knows he did wrong, then take the leave. But if I'm innocent, then I'm bringing in my lawyer and telling the university they can come up with some other way to take care of this. We're innocent until proven guilty in this country.

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

as an OSU fan it pains me to say that he probably needs to resign.

as a reasonable man I believe that the whole World is just a little bit crazy and getting crazier. we are in an era where each of us is judged and held accountable for our knowledge of what other people may have done and the mere possibility of negative perception is very powerful, only because we are aware of what may have taken place. this newest episode involving Urban Meyer is just now being revealed to the public, but based on what I read yesterday and compared to all that has taken place in the recent past, he needs to resign.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2018 5:35AM

From what I heard, he got on top of this quickly. Perhaps that perception is wrong.

At any rate the punishment for the crime seems to be PC based. If on of your subordinates beats his spouse or molests children, it ends you career. If they are in government, and are guilty of wrong doing (bribery, misappropriation of funds) from either party, there is always a group that will circle the wagons.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    What is this ? If I'm innocent, then I'm saying, heck no, I'm staying here and coaching my team because I did no wrong. What has this world come to ? OK - If he knows he did wrong, then take the leave. But if I'm innocent, then I'm bringing in my lawyer and telling the university they can come up with some other way to take care of this. We're innocent until proven guilty in this country.

Tell that to Zeke Elliot! He wasn't even charged and he was suspended!!!! The comish is such a TOOL!

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you are paid nearly ten million bucks a year to shape the future of young men, you are responsible for the actions of the staff that you bring in.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    When you are paid nearly ten million bucks a year to shape the future of young men, you are responsible for the actions of the staff that you bring in.

+1

As I understand this...Zach Smith's wife and Urban Myer's wife are tight buddies. Therefore the rub is that Mrs. Myer and Mrs. Smith chatted up the abuse. IF so, it is almost inconceivable that Urban had no clue. Pillow talk stuff.

Apparently there is a "conduct clause" of some sort in Urban's contract. If so, then OSU officials could toss Urban, if he knew about the abuse and took no action.

Joe Paterno flamed out terribly over the conduct of one of his coaches, to the point they all but pressure washed him from the memory and existence of anything good that he did while at PSU.

I can still see Woody Hayes on tv punching the (Miami?) player as he ran the ball along the OSU sidelines...adios Woody.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Y'all know how I feel about Urban, he's a jerk and Shelly is worst. My feelings for Urbie are based on his time at Florida only. Nothing will ever change that.

However, and I'm being sincere, I feel for the true OSU fans. I know Keets, Brick and Garnett are feeling it now. It's tough looking forward to the season and this crap happens.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry but everyone is way too quick to want to fire someone, we are talking about adults here. Every adult knows how to report abuse to the police etc, if they are not contacting the police and staying then that’s on them.. If My wife told me that my coworkers wife informed her of abuse then I’m telling her that she should call the police, thing is many times these woman that get abused actually don’t want to report it because they don’t want to upset the apple cart at home and ruin their rich husbands career because they like the “Good Life” and that’s a FACT, also “Abuse” has many different definitions and in my opinion people are way to quick to use that word. Anyone of you guys can flame me all you want I really don’t care, I stand by my post.

• Options

Here's an article about Urban...that isn't very complimentary to say the least.
    https://www.projectveritas.com/2018/08/02/an-unfair-game-urban-meyer-a-history-of-abuse/

• Options
    edited August 2, 2018 12:57PM

Ok “EyeRoll”. Let’s just pile on Urban Meyer now and ruin his life because of these “Allegations” It’s a joke how easy it is to throw that word “Abuse” out there, same thing with throwing the “Sexual Harassment” card out there. I mean as soon as either allegation pops up it’s like a feeding frenzy and everyone piles on.

• Options

Perkdog...Paul, I got no dog in the fight, but did come across the article I posted. I've heard and read other things about Myer during his Florida days...now that he's under the microscope, I thought the article was appropriate.

Other than that, hope things are well in the Salisbury area for you!!

• Options
    edited August 2, 2018 2:13PM

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Perkdog...Paul, I got no dog in the fight, but did come across the article I posted. I've heard and read other things about Myer during his Florida days...now that he's under the microscope, I thought the article was appropriate.

Thanks Al, you know my post wasn’t directed at YOU, it’s directed at all those guys in your link. My beef is why NOW do they start with that crap? Why not man up at the time and say something rather than wait for this and then jump in and play monkey see monkey do???? Salisbury is good buddy, 92 degrees today and humid, I want to complain but I complain enough during the winter lol

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

True story - It's the evening session of a high school summer football practice, and the head coach is miffed about something as they usually are during summer football practice. Anyway, the evening practice drags out to the point where it's literally dark outside, there were no lights on this practice field. Well the QB's are still throwing passes to us receivers, and we can't see the football. The coach ignores it. Now player T gets to the line to go out for a pass. Well T had the best hands I've ever seen on an amateur level, his position was tight end, and he basically never dropped a pass, caught everything close to him. If he was two seconds faster in the 40 he'd have made the pros, and I'm not kidding about the two seconds, T ran as slow as a turtle. So anyway, as stated the coach is already hissed off, T goes out for a pass, the QB throws it, and T drops it, and now seeing the dependable hands T drop a pass the coach is really steaming. Coach calls him by his last name and shouts as loud as he can, H how can you drop that pass? T says, I can't see the ball! Here it comes and I'm not kidding, the coach then screams, That's no excuse!

I tell the story to illustrate that every football coach i ever played for, even the position coaches, they all had a psychotic streak in them, and it wouldn't surprise me if every single coach out there, including in college and the pros are similar if not worse.

I'm not excusing Meyer's behavior especially on the excessive weight lifting, but some of the other stuff seems fairly benign to me. If getting a plastic bottle of Gatorade thrown at you upsets you that much, you probably shouldn't be playing football.

i haven't yet read anything about the other stuff, so i can't comment on that.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2018 4:06PM

I do feel bad for all of your concussions. We are all paying the price for those.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think what a lot of people are missing here is that this has nothing to do with "PC culture" or Ohio State being wusses or anything of that nature.

Urban Meyer and his wife are both mandatory reporters. That means they are required by law to report any inkling of sexual abuse, sexual violence, or domestic violence of any kind. Can be first-hand, second-hand, whatever. The laws are written to enable children to come forward on behalf of friends who are being abused by apply to adults as well. There's no question that Meyer's wife violated the law by not reporting. She'll lose her job for certain. And, unless you believe that Meyer somehow wasn't told about this stuff by his wife (a pretty much inconceivable circumstance), then he, too, violated the law by not reporting. And then lied about it to the press as well.

In addition to the law aspects of it, when Meyer got his most recent contract extension, Ohio State wrote into the contract what is basically a Joe Paterno clause - he can be fired, with cause, for failing to report domestic abuse allegations. Again - first-hand, second-hand, whatever.

I would be STUNNED if he's still employed at Ohio State by the time the season starts.

• Options
    edited August 2, 2018 5:18PM

I would be STUNNED if he's still employed at Ohio State by the time the season starts.

Yep.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Ok “EyeRoll”. Let’s just pile on Urban Meyer now and ruin his life because of these “Allegations” It’s a joke how easy it is to throw that word “Abuse” out there, same thing with throwing the “Sexual Harassment” card out there. I mean as soon as either allegation pops up it’s like a feeding frenzy and everyone piles on.

Unless the status has changed this evening, Meyer is on paid leave at $120,000 plus per week.

Sadly we have no violin emoji to play on his behalf.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woody struck a Clemson player... Not a Miami player. And that transpired at the 1978 Gator Bowl after Clemson won the game.

That sport coat in the again clip has the look of a new low in plaid that truly is a visual assault.

As for the Urban situation... Seems appropriate to wait to see how the all facts unfold even though what has surfaced may end this sooner rather than later.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

just so there's no misunderstanding of my post, based upon what I read, Urban Meyer and his wife were aware of the abuse allegations back in 2015. I haven't seen anything about an arrest or a conviction. in todays world, especially in Sports and Entertainment, knowing is equated with participating; if Urban Meyer and his wife were aware of abuse they needed to act back in 2015 and not doing anything is viewed as covering up.

what Tabe posted is what people aren't understanding or accepting as how things are in today's world.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

Thanks Al, you know my post wasn’t directed at YOU, it’s directed at all those guys in your link. My beef is why NOW do they start with that crap? Why not man up at the time and say something rather than wait for this and then jump in and play monkey see monkey do???? Salisbury is good buddy, 92 degrees today and humid, I want to complain but I complain enough during the winter lol

Paul, I'll give you the winter complaints, having endured my fair share. How I miss those wonderful Salisbury and Hampton Beach days, even the Frolics in Salisbury...long gone, but, got to see Paul Anka, Johnny Mathis and a few others...back in the day. B)

Take care my friend, the leaves will be turning soon.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    just so there's no misunderstanding of my post, based upon what I read, Urban Meyer and his wife were aware of the abuse allegations back in 2015. I haven't seen anything about an arrest or a conviction. in todays world, especially in Sports and Entertainment, knowing is equated with participating; if Urban Meyer and his wife were aware of abuse they needed to act back in 2015 and not doing anything is viewed as covering up.

what Tabe posted is what people aren't understanding or accepting as how things are in today's world.

What I posted has nothing to do with "today's world". I was a teacher in the mid-90s - the laws were already in place back then for mandatory reporters.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

And in today’s world with people bringing suit for everything, making what could be false allegations can land you in court. With current legal system, you can’t win. People are forced to to make false confessions or face bankruptcy to pay their legal bills. The system is broken.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@keets said:

And in today’s world with people bringing suit for everything, making what could be false allegations can land you in court. With current legal system, you can’t win. People are forced to to make false confessions or face bankruptcy to pay their legal bills. The system is broken.

<<< The system is broken. >>>

I agree with ya!

Many, perhaps most of these lawsuit false allegations and other frivolous lawsuits would end if they change the legal system rules to losing plaintiff pays the defendant's legal fees, and the plaintiff's lawyer also has to pay. An example could be if a plaintiff's lawyer is working on a contingency fee of say 40%, then if the plaintiff loses, the plaintiff's lawyer must pay 40% of the defendant's legal fees. If the plaintiff is broke, then the plaintiff's lawyer would be responsible for 100% of the defendant's legal fees.

Going to law school for three years should not entitle someone to receiving a lifetime of free lottery tickets. They should have to pay for their lawsuit lottery tickets.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I've heard there are no false accusations here. Let's not blame the victim unless there is evidence the victim is not the victim. I know we may be fanatical about sports at times but in real life there are things much more important.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

From what I've heard there are no false accusations here

this is exactly correct and to equate this event with everything else or to group everything together as "frivolous" because some of them are, is wrong. things have been broken for a long time, not just with the Legal/Justice system but with Society as a whole. if you think Child Abuse, Sexual Abuse and Domestic Violence are "frivolous" then perhaps you are a generation or two behind the times. from my experiences as I've grown older and moved through the Country and through different "cultures" I would conclude that there is a surprisingly large number of people, generally White Men, that feel an entitlement to treat others however they choose. as a Society, it is our choice to condone or report --- I choose report.

back to Urban Meyer.............................what is now being reported is that he was aware of events that took place in 2009 and 2015 and did in fact report them as necessary. he apparently then lied about any knowledge of the events, probably to protect a friend.

• Options

@keets said:

this is exactly correct and to equate this event with everything else or to group everything together as "frivolous" because some of them are, is wrong. things have been broken for a long time, not just with the Legal/Justice system but with Society as a whole. if you think Child Abuse, Sexual Abuse and Domestic Violence are "frivolous" then perhaps you are a generation or two behind the times. from my experiences as I've grown older and moved through the Country and through different "cultures" I would conclude that there is a surprisingly large number of people, generally White Men, that feel an entitlement to treat others however they choose. as a Society, it is our choice to condone or report --- I choose report.

back to Urban Meyer.............................what is now being reported is that he was aware of events that took place in 2009 and 2015 and did in fact report them as necessary. he apparently then lied about any knowledge of the events, probably to protect a friend.

I totally agree - abuse of any kind is terrible and should be reported. Including bulling(sp) in school!

• Options

I would add that I agree there are lots of frivolous lawsuits brought, but they generally involve money. probably the textbook example is the Hot Coffee McDonalds lawsuit. that sort of thing is the reasoning for Tort Reform, not physical or sexual abuse.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2018 10:02AM

@keets said:
    I would add that I agree there are lots of frivolous lawsuits brought, but they generally involve money. probably the textbook example is the Hot Coffee McDonalds lawsuit. that sort of thing is the reasoning for Tort Reform, not physical or sexual abuse.

The McDonald's case gets a lot of airplay but in that case it was proven that the McDonald's franchise at that location was deliberately heating the water far past the standard temperature for coffee brewing. I'm nopt saying the settlement in that case was warranted or fair but when a company or business does something intentionally in violation of safety standards, there's going to be represcussions when something goes wrong.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@keets said:

The McDonald's case gets a lot of airplay but in that case it was proven that the McDonald's franchise at that location was deliberately heating the water far past the standard temperature for coffee brewing. I'm nopt saying the settlement in that case was warranted or fair but when a company or business does something intentionally in violation of safety standards, there's going to be represcussions when something goes wrong.

Interesting....I was not aware of that.

• Options

@1970s said:
    Anyone remember playing with this as a kid ?

I do. My dad backed out of the drive once and didn’t see me on my Big Wheel. He dragged me for about 100 meters. To this day I’m not sure if it was intentional or not

m

• Options

@1970s said:
    Anyone remember playing with this as a kid ?

I remember my Big Wheel, no idea what the thing in the bottom pic is though

• Options
    edited August 4, 2018 2:51PM

@keets said:

I’m getting so sick and tired of the perceived notion that “White Men” are ok with Domestic abuse and racism, you know what it’s called? It’s called reverse racism and I think that is an issue in today’s society how about that? Nowhere in this thread has anyone including me made any insinuation that any kind of abuse is “Frivolous” what is insinuated by ME is that a lot of times it’s blown out of proportion before all the facts are laid out, and in a lot of cases they are false accusations yet the accused still gets black balled in some way.

• Options
    edited August 4, 2018 3:51PM

Many, perhaps most of these lawsuit false allegations and other frivolous lawsuits

hey Pekdog, the above is a cut/paste from stevek, I can't see where anyone directed anything at you, it is a general discussion about no one. if your boxers are in a bunch because you don't like what others post than maybe you should back off a little, but that is your choice. Sigmund Freud would have a riot at this place!!!

stay safe and have a nice day.

• Options
    edited August 4, 2018 4:08PM

@keets said:
    Many, perhaps most of these lawsuit false allegations and other frivolous lawsuits

hey Pekdog, the above is a cut/paste from stevek, I can't see where anyone directed anything at you, it is a general discussion about no one. if your boxers are in a bunch because you don't like what others post than maybe you should back off a little, but that is your choice. Sigmund Freud would have a riot at this place!!!

stay safe and have a nice day.

Give me a break, I’ve taken in what has been posted not just in this thread but the Colin Kap, Anthem and the mascot threads and it’s always the same crap. Every time a “Social issue” or “Racist” themed thread gets going it’s always mentioned that “White Guys” are the problem and I’m sick of hearing that. I don’t need to back off especially when I’m saying what I feel about the topic. You have a nice day as well

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

My recollection of the lawsuit over the split McDonald's coffee is that the cup of coffee was served to a drive through customer (an elderly woman in her 80's), that the coffee in the cup was heated to over 170 or 180 degrees, that while the coffee cup was being transferred to the woman customer (sitting in her car) somehow the cup was tipped over, or dropped (maybe because the surface of the cardboard or styrafoam cup was too hot to hold in one's hand due to the scalding hot coffee inside of the cup) and the coffee spilled out of the cup into the lap of the woman.

I can imagine the employee handling the cup of coffee carefully, holding it by the edge of the bottom of the cup or by the rim of the cup and handing it to the customer in the car who reaches with one or both hands to take the cup, placing her hands on the vertical surfaces of the cup (like placing your hand on a stove top that is turned on). One's natural reaction to holding a cup of overheated coffee in this manner would be to withdraw your hands. As a result the cup drops and the coffee spills.

The coffee falling into the lap of the elderly woman caused her to suffer major burn injuries to her abdomen, her thighs and her groin area. I assume that she was unable to stand up quickly (so the coffee could fall to the floor instead of soaking into her clothes and making contact with her body) because she is sitting in a car's driver's seat with the car 12-18 inches from the wall of the building in the drive through lane. She likely just ended up sitting in the seat while the scalding hot coffee soaked through her clothes and onto her body.

I understand that she had to be hospitalized and underwent multiple surgeries.

People may laugh and/or scoff at the idea of a lawsuit being filed over McDonald's coffee spilling on you and being too hot. When I first heard of this case I dismissed it. But when I learned more of the details of what went on I think that the lawsuit was justified. I assume the case settled.

As for being a White Male, there is no doubt that such a person is being made the object of derision and hate. White women will suffer the same fate. I am forever thankful that I am a white man who lives in the USA instead of being a white man who lives in South Africa.

I do not see any benefit to society in the USA to dividing its people into groups and pitting them against each other. It would be so much better if people simply identified themselves as "Americans" and did their best (work hard, find your passion, be self sufficient, take care of your family and community, and do not expect things to be handed to you) to make this country a great place for everyone.

• Options

I’ve taken in what has been posted not just in this thread but the Colin Kap, Anthem and the mascot threads and it’s always the same crap

then maybe you should spew your bile about it to those people.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

He had a press conference in which he claimed he didn't know anything then a week later he did know.

So he was lying and helping cover up something to protect the precious football program, just like at Penn state they were more worried about the football program than protecting kids , just like the catholic church lets pervert priests bend little boys over again and again and covered it up , also just like michigan state and the gymnastics program , or the team USA gymnastics doctor .

Love of money outweighs doing the right thing every time. The other thing is , yup they were all white men :D . They are scumbags not because they are white men , but because white men are universally installed in these positions of power and power corrupted them . Once they get in these jobs all these poor white men can think about is protect the money .