Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC) (Sold out...)

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t say with absolute certainty of course, but I certainly hope we will have many Block Island 70 coins in stock later this month from a recent prescreeing of about (750) sets. If any board member needs one for a personal registry set, send me a PM and I’ll try to offer you one below then current market. Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    That is amazing, I wonder who will actually pay that type of price, and why so soon?

There must be 10's of thousands that have not even been looked at. Also, NGC seems to have quite a few 70's...

But most of those 10s of thousands will likely never be submitted. Although if the price gets to $1000, it may create a windfall for PCGS.

• Options

Well, let's just hope I finish selling mine before you tip the market. :wink:

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:
    .> @Goldminers said:

That is amazing, I wonder who will actually pay that type of price, and why so soon?

There must be 10's of thousands that have not even been looked at. Also, NGC seems to have quite a few 70's...

I bet the PCGS totals for PR70 will be extremely low....maybe even less than 100?

DM,

It will be low, but when something is temporary 10X value, it gets 10X attention and submissions relatively speaking. This helped the sellout (along with weird finish Kennedy that may prove meaningless, depending on if it is considered a "valid" variety by PCGS.)

Anyway I have no doubt when Wondercoin and company say they see some good ones they decided to send in to grade, they are being upfront and honest and they will get some nice 70's in a few weeks.

I still believe these will be a low PR70 pop as you do, but surprisingly the Apostle and the Voyagers also are less than 144-151 PR70 pop at this stage. The Block is less than 50 but not sure I believe the updated numbers on it yet.

Cheers
    GM

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

2018-S 25C Block Island NP-Silver Rev PR 50th Anniversary Set First Strike
    PR
    pr-67-1
    pr-68-6
    pr-69-484
    pr-70-37
    total graded-528

with the price point of the block islands so high, people will definitely be grading these in high numbers, I was putting thought of getting my sets graded too. there are only currently 528 block islands graded, look for that number to go up to at least 3,000 or more, the population will go over 100

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    PR
    pr-67-1
    pr-68-6
    pr-69-484
    pr-70-37
    total graded-528

with the price point of the block islands so high, people will definitely be grading these in high numbers, I was putting thought of getting my sets graded too. there are only currently 528 block islands graded, look for that number to go up to at least 3,000 or more, the population will go over 100

Agree in general, but it may take a while. In the meantime prices will bounce some, but still stay fairly strong for a nice PCGS PR70 IMHO.

I consider it a condition key worth higher rating points within the Washington Basic silver ATB modern series.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

@dmwest said:
    .> @Goldminers said:

I bet the PCGS totals for PR70 will be extremely low....maybe even less than 100?

Block Island last check was 45 in PR70, 499 in PR69. I think it will be over a 100 in due time.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2018 6:44PM

@coinpalice said:
    PR
    pr-67-1
    pr-68-6
    pr-69-484
    pr-70-37
    total graded-528

Keep in mind that there are FAR MORE THAN 528 block islands "graded" by which I mean "screened by PCGS" and even more than that pre-screened by the submitter. If a bulk submitter specifies nothing less than 69 or even 70, those don't show up in the grading numbers which is why so few 67s and 68s. Also keep in mind, as Wondercoin implied above - submittters pre-screen their coins. He screened 750, he didn't submit 750 coins.

Now, I'm not suggesting the population won't go over 100. I expect it will if the price stays north of $500 for long. But the number graded is terribly deceptive relative to the actual number pre-screened and submitted.

And more important than the supply is the demand. This set is WEIRD in that there are so few graded sets available, even in 69. That implies the bulk sellers have avoided it so far. But if they start moving in - someone bought 5000 sets yesterday - demand could go up as well as supply as they start promoting.

I don't know what's going to happen, but it should be an interesting couple of months. [I'm sticking to that as my theme song.]

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Can we expect a lot of ANACS 70's to show up soon?

If I submitted a Block Island with only 3 microscopic scratches on Georges neck would it 70 anywhere at all?

I never did learn to grade . Maybe this will inspire an effort to finally try.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have a photo of the scratches on the obverse of the Block Island Quarter? I'm looking at mine but don't see scratches. Maybe I have a lucky one.

• Options

On a separate note, PCGS is not designating the “variety” (or “error”) Kennedy at this time. So, I believe Justin (monstercoinmart) will begin selling the “variety” coins in PCGS 70 holders on eBay very soon.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

@Kudbegud said:
    Does anyone have a photo of the scratches on the obverse of the Block Island Quarter? I'm looking at mine but don't see scratches. Maybe I have a lucky one.

Please see page 12 about 5-6 posts down. Basically all have some version of this. A few do not and they sometimes have some pits or nicks on the left lower obverse. Some have uneven finishes on the neck at angles. You have to really look to see the scuffs if they are shallow, but the graders see them, so be picky.

• Options

@FullStrike said:
    Can we expect a lot of ANACS 70's to show up soon?

If I submitted a Block Island with only 3 microscopic scratches on Georges neck would it 70 anywhere at all?

I never did learn to grade . Maybe this will inspire an effort to finally try.

I can't say it is always true, but in my experience, if I see ANYTHING wrong it, it will not be a 70 at PCGS.

Some can get lucky, but I have learned my lesson.

• Options
    mt_mslamt_msla Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Insert witicism here. [ xxx ]

• Options
    edited August 22, 2018 8:19PM

Funny business going on at the Mint? I just checked on the status of my orders and both are in back order status. How is that? I got in 2 orders before they dissapeared and tried to get in a 3rd order at which point they became not available. Now I get "backordered"? Waiting to receive returned picked over rejects?

This is BS.

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018 8:53PM

I placed an order on the 19th for three sets and just checked and they have already been shipped. Seems quick?

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

@Kudbegud said:

Please see page 12 about 5-6 posts down. Basically all have some version of this. A few do not and they sometimes have some pits or nicks on the left lower obverse. Some have uneven finishes on the neck at angles. You have to really look to see the scuffs if they are shallow, but the graders see them, so be picky.

Thanks Goldminer. I remember seeing that now that you directed me to it.
    Using a 10x loop I see a few scratches on the right side of the neck base just above the initials. Not scratches across the entire neck base as in the photo. Ill try to get a picture.

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 432 ✭✭✭✭

@FullStrike said:
    Funny business going on at the Mint? I just checked on the status of my orders and both are in back order status. How is that? I got in 2 orders before they dissapeared and tried to get in a 3rd order at which point they became not available. Now I get "backordered"? Waiting to receive returned picked over rejects?

This is BS.

I got my 3 sets right before sellout. Got a message today that they have been shipped. Something is definitely going on with your order.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    I can’t say with absolute certainty of course, but I certainly hope we will have many Block Island 70 coins in stock later this month from a recent prescreeing of about (750) sets. If any board member needs one for a personal registry set, send me a PM and I’ll try to offer you one below then current market. Wondercoin.

This would mean non-First Strike labels, correct?

• Options

2018-S Silver Reverse Proof Quarter, Block Island, PCGS PR-70 First Strike
    $592.00
    41 bids - Ends in 3d 11hrs

Someone really LIKES PR 70' s . Must be nice to be so needed.

• Options

@FullStrike said:
    $592.00

Well it looks like 3 people have really deep pockets and are just climbing the mountain to get to the top first.

Then after they get there, they will have to climb back down, as the glory will be over.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow maybe I should send my sealed box with 2 sets into PCGS for grading? I bought them for my Grand Daughter when I am gone but I can always leave here my Mcdonalds 5 coin set instead.

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@FullStrike said:
    $592.00

Well it looks like 3 people have really deep pockets and are just climbing the mountain to get to the top first.

Then after they get there, they will have to climb back down, as the glory will be over.

I'm going to list the last two that I have right now. They will either sell immediately, or they will pretty much cap that auction.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2018 9:51AM

@Gluggo said:
    Wow maybe I should send my sealed box with 2 sets into PCGS for grading? I bought them for my Grand Daughter when I am gone but I can always leave here my Mcdonalds 5 coin set instead.

Well sealed they are still First Strike eligible, but why pay to grade modern coins that you have not seen that may be 69's or worse? A lot of the fun in my opinion is actually collecting and looking at the coins, not a cardboard box.

Edited to say, you can still send these in to PCGS even if opened, if you do it now, if you have the post office postmark it and mail it before the First Strike deadline at PCGS is Friday Aug 24th., if you still really want $18 FS labels. The coin quality is more important to me than the FS label.

• Options

“This would mean non-First Strike labels, correct?”

Only if it takes Justin longer than 2 business days to drive the 30 Miles. Traffic has been very bad I hear!

Warm regards from SE Asia.

Wondercoin.

• Options

I just wasted a bit of my time calling the US Mint about my 2 "successful" countdown orders I got in before they went " ,unavailable". I checked yrsterday and found they had gone to backordered status so today I called to see who had pried the 2 orders from my greedy dead fingers. As expected the brainless CSR didn't know much more than her own name. She claimed returns are not shipped out to anyone yet she couldn't explain where my Coins could possibly be comming from. She did say if no Coins could be found my orders would be canceled. As usual, I wasted my time even calling the deadheads in Memphis.

I did manage to cancel my orders so it wasn't a total waste.of time. If nothing else it just saved me the pain of seeing more Bear Clawed Block Island Quarters.

That was it for me. No more dealings with the US Mint. They got me for an Ounce of Gold a few years ago. My Credit Card Account had bogus charges rung up in the Memphis area to the tune of $700.00 a few years ago. They canceled 5 Proof Buffaloes on me last year. This backordered deal was the last straw for me. No more. I'm done with all the BS.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2018 11:19AM

@FullStrike,

That is very interesting, and I sure can understand your frustration.

I just had my Discover credit card compromised last night with bogus charges yesterday and the only thing I had ordered on that card in the entire month, was from the US Mint for these sets and Comcast. So now I wonder if the Mint or Comcast was hacked and they don't want to admit it for several months which seems to be normal protocol.

Might be a good idea for all of us to change credit cards or passwords, especially with them.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have time to read through all the pages... can someone tell me why the block island is bringing a premium over the other quarters?

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 432 ✭✭✭✭

There are scratches that were generated at the Mint, post production, before shipping that affect the possible number of 70’s that could be made. See page 12 of this thread

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    @FullStrike,

I just had my Discover credit card compromised last night with bogus charges yesterday and the only thing I had ordered on that card in the entire month, was from the US Mint for these sets and Comcast. So now I wonder if the Mint was hacked and they don't want to admit it for several months which seems to be normal protocol.

Might be a good idea for all of us to change credit cards or passwords, especially with them.

Was the CC on file, or did you physically type in the number?

If you entered the numbers at any point, it's probably your machine. You picked up a keylogger of some sort. I would assume that's the problem point first before you blame another entity, since if it was on your end, you still are on a compromised machine...

• Options
    edited August 23, 2018 11:11AM

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Goldminers said:
    @FullStrike,

I just had my Discover credit card compromised last night with bogus charges yesterday and the only thing I had ordered on that card in the entire month, was from the US Mint for these sets and Comcast. So now I wonder if the Mint was hacked and they don't want to admit it for several months which seems to be normal protocol.

Was the CC on file, or did you physically type in the number?

If you entered the numbers at any point, it's probably your machine. You picked up a keylogger of some sort. I would assume that's the problem point first before you blame another entity, since if it was on your end, you still are on a compromised machine...

My card was on file on the US Mint system and autopay at Comcast, no typing card numbers for many months and I did not use this card for anything else for a long time. But I agree with you that one should be diligent with their own computer to avoid compromising it as well. I use special DNS servers, multiple anti-virus and security programs and encryption on my computer, modems, and routers, but anything is possible.

• Options

@jwitten said:
    I don't have time to read through all the pages... can someone tell me why the block island is bringing a premium over the other quarters?

because only 45 pcgs block island pr 70's out for almost 550 graded

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:

@jwitten said:

Have the other quarters graded a lot better?

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@coinpalice said:

@jwitten said:

Have the other quarters graded a lot better?

the other quarters have between 150-250 in PR70 compared to 45 for the Block Island....as of right now...

Don't quote me on that.

• Options

the fall and winter months are always bullish for pm's. it cost over 1,000 dollars to pull gold out of the ground. Recycled gold won't be enough to supply the u.s. mint and the Jewelry makers and miners will not even bother pulling it out the ground at 1,050 or less. the lowest I see it going is 1,130 and I don't see it going that low either

• Options

sorry, wrong thread, lol

• Options
    edited August 23, 2018 11:35AM

@coinpalice said:
    the fall and winter months are always bullish for pm's. it cost over 1,000 dollars to pull gold out of the ground. Recycled gold won't be enough to supply the u.s. mint and the Jewelry makers and miners will not even bother pulling it out the ground at 1,050 or less. the lowest I see it going is 1,130 and I don't see it going that low either

I have been in the gold mining business for over 40 years. The gold miners will sell below their total cost as it is better than not selling at all. They have to pay back their debt borrowed for initial mine development capital expenses with some type of cash flow preferably over and above their AISC "all in sustained costs". There is about 5,000 years of gold sitting in vaults around the world. No actual shortage at all. There is plenty of "spare" jewelry and plenty of big bars that can be melted for a long time if the price goes up, and the miner's contribution to the stash are basically irrelevant.

I can say with complete confidence I have absolutely no idea when gold prices will stop dropping, and if and when they will go back up.

edited to say yes wrong thread, but oh well I couldn't resist answering.

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@coinpalice said:

I have been in the gold mining business for over 40 years. The gold miners will sell below their total cost as it is better than not selling at all. They have to pay back their debt borrowed for initial mine development capital expenses with some type of cash flow preferably over and above their AISC "all in sustained costs". There is about 5,000 years of gold sitting in vaults around the world. No actual shortage at all. There is plenty of "spare" jewelry and plenty of big bars that can be melted for a long time if the price goes up, and the miner's contribution to the stash are basically irrelevant.

I can say with complete confidence I have absolutely no idea when gold prices will stop dropping, and if and when they will go back up.

edited to say yes wrong thread, but oh well I couldn't resist answering.

I would assume mine development for new sites would come to a halt at that price?

• Options
    edited August 23, 2018 12:00PM

@coinpalice said:> I would assume mine development for new sites would come to a halt at that price?

Yes, for the new mining projects I occasionally advise management on, I would not recommend NEW gold mine investment and debt at any price less than $1,200 unless it showed a positive life-of-mine NPV at 15% interest rate or more.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2018 2:21PM

If anyone wants a PCGS PR70 Block Island you better go search on eBay now as there are 4 still out there at various pricing. (None are mine)

Edited to say 5 for sale from $575 to 1000 take your pick before they are gone.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2018 2:46PM

Does anyone know NGC PF70 FDI and regular population numbers for this 2018-S reverse Block Island silver quarter? I know the pop in PCGS PR70 is currently stated 45 by many depending on when they update the number and if they counted all the various labels at once. A few NGC PF70's Blocks sold for less than about $90 each, but they really vanished after that.

Overall early First Strike versions of PCGS PR70's Block reverse silver quarters should be bought soon, if you want one for less than say $600 or $700, as they seem to be getting really scarce even with higher pops anticipated.

There are a LOT of Washington silver and complete modern quarter PCGS collectors.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    Does anyone know NGC PF70 FDI and regular population numbers for this 2018-S reverse Block Island silver quarter? I know the pop in PCGS PR70 is currently stated 45 by many depending on when they update the number and if they counted all the various labels at once. A few NGC PF70's Blocks sold for less than about $90 each, but they really vanished after that.

Overall early First Strike versions of PCGS PR70's Block reverse silver quarters should be bought soon, if you want one for less than say $600 or $700, as they seem to be getting really scarce even with higher pops anticipated.

There are a LOT of Washington silver and complete modern quarter PCGS collectors.

Silvertowne is selling the NGC 70 FDOI for under $500, so the NGC pop must be higher.

• Options

“Edited to say 5 for sale from $575 to 1000 take your pick before they are gone.”

Justin did pick up (4) Block Island coins in 70 today. I will send note shortly to registry guys that wrote to me previously.

Wondercoin.

• Options

On another fun topic: I gotta box of 6 raw sets in today. Five of them were the Kennedy "variety".

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well NUTS.

Got 30 sets in today, ordered last week. ZERO Kennedy varieties! jmlanzaf you had to rub it in too!!

All but one is a definite NO-GO for a PF70 Block. Pppppfffffftttt

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2018 10:08PM

EBay number:163218117500. Justin put out on eBay a “light finish error” Kennedy in PCGS-PR70. Of course, as I mentioned, PCGS does not intend to recognize the error (or variety) at this time. I believe NGC does intend to recognize the “error”. Justin also put out a second offering of the “error” half dollar grading PCGS-PR70 at a Buy It Now price (with best offer).

Wondercoin.

• Options

Thx Mr. Mitch, I can't seem to find Justin's auction by that #. Likely another eBay faux pas.
    Can't even see my own listings any more! WTF?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

Akbeez. If you search out his auction, you can find it under this title:

2018-S Reverse Proof Silver Kennedy PCGS PR70 FIRST STRIKE -"LIGHT FINISH ERROR"

Wondercoin.

• Options

Thanks, but I'm still not seeing it. Likely something in my account (!), but I can't see any of my own listings either. Been a problem for over a year now and eBay claims nothing is wrong. I've been on eBay for 14 years so no newbie at this. If anyone has advice on this, let me know!!

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Akbeez
    Here you go...since I'm not Mitch nor his son Justin, this isn't spam as I have no vested interested in this sale at all:

https://ebay.com/itm/2018-S-Reverse-Proof-Silver-Kennedy-PCGS-PR70-FIRST-STRIKE-LIGHT-FINISH-ERROR/163218117500?hash=item26008ed37c:g:ceIAAOSwvWtbf3fZ

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file