Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC) (Sold out...)

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    let's see, with the new sales tax and shipping, cost of the set will be 63.90, in my state anyway- so if I want to sell it, sales tax to sell too, plus about 5 dollars shipping and final value fees, paypal fees, close to 80 dollars to break even on this set. state sales tax still pending of course

It always surprises me as to how uninformed some of our posters are when they post comments like the one above, or below

"$55 + shipping? No thanks! If they had kept the price similar to the Enhanced set then maybe. I’ll wait a few months like other people have stated and get them for less."

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, looks like the website has finally caught up to the press release from last week...

And once again, the mint has posted some crappy images. A shame they didn't keep the flat black boxes from last year's EU set...

• Options
    callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭

And yet it’s still over price.

Compared to what? Have you priced any of the collector coins issued by the major World Mints? US Mint prices are low compared to theirs.

BTW, I'm in for a "few" sets.

If you like them then good for you. No thanks for me and it seems like many others here. It seems like flippers are pushing these sets (among many other Mint products) pretty hard. Maybe they’ve been losing money recently? Just saying.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2018 12:52AM

@OPA said:

@coinpalice said:
    let's see, with the new sales tax and shipping, cost of the set will be 63.90, in my state anyway- so if I want to sell it, sales tax to sell too, plus about 5 dollars shipping and final value fees, paypal fees, close to 80 dollars to break even on this set. state sales tax still pending of course

It always surprises me as to how uninformed some of our posters are when they post comments like the one above, or below

"$55 + shipping? No thanks! If they had kept the price similar to the Enhanced set then maybe. I’ll wait a few months like other people have stated and get them for less."

Uninformed how? Because you think it’s worth $55 + shipping and I don’t? Or you think you can flip it for more in a few months? LOL! If you want to waste your money on more Mint junk then be my guess.

• Options

@callawayc7 said:

@OPA said:

@coinpalice said:

Uninformed how? Because you think it’s worth $55 + shipping and I don’t? Or you think you can flip it for more in a few months? LOL! If you want to waste your money on more Mint junk then be my guess.

It does make you look uninformed when you expect as silver set to sell for the same as a clad set.

Just my opinion.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    I'm saving my $$$ for Daniel Carr items....... >:)

Dan's Mint has had better products as of late. :p

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

This just showed up on YouTube
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=_X6OWh-bFcA

Nice preview of actual coins and not illustrations.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    This just showed up on YouTube
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=_X6OWh-bFcA

Nice preview of actual coins and not illustrations.

We're in! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still not hot

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Is anyone still making fidget spinners? Seems like that fad has died a very quick end. Medals. aren't doing it for the Mint ........ maybe fidget spinners in all the PM's ?

• Options

It does make you look uninformed when you expect as silver set to sell for the same as a clad set.

Just my opinion.

Have you checked the price of silver? LOL! Barely $16 and down over $1 since June 14! It's makes you uninformed if you think this is a good deal.

Just my opinion.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gee, I don't know. My closets are already full of Mint stuff.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BustyPotatoBustyPotato Posts: 81 ✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2018 3:20AM

From the thumbnail the mint uploaded, where is the quarter?

Nevemind I see what they are doing!

A government accident left me a former man, a potato. That photo on my profile is a low resolution selfie. I like coins.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may do 1 or 2, I've got plenty of time to decide

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

The penny, dollar and nickel should all be silver also.

Even from the beginning, there’s no reason not to have everything silver.

• Options

@goldbuffalo said:
    The penny, dollar and nickel should all be silver also.

Even from the beginning, there’s no reason not to have everything silver.

Yes there is.

The law doesn't allow it.

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭

I haven't bought all year from the mint, though the you tube video is enticing. I will see what the 70s bring and if cheap may buy one.

• Options

One week out, and the mint has started the push for this product. E-mail notifications are being sent out. And this....

Seriously US Mint? Is this the best you can do? :smile:

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinflation, silver melt $15.76. Melt value of coins $21.09. Mint price $55.00 and shipping. First reverse silver proof set ever. I am undecided. I bought all of the silver state quarter sets from the mint. Last thing I ever bought from the mint. The only one that has held value is the 99 set, and I an not sure of that after factoring in inflation. I may be in for 1, but do not plan to make a habit of it.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

With a max of 200k produced, this set should be ok. Silver proof sets have sold more than 300k year in & year out.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

I expect a quick sellout. You've got silver, you've got a "first-ever" set, you've got proofs...the HH limit of 10 will drive some to buy 10 instead of a reasonable 2 or 3. Roll the dice and we'll see what happens....I mean, flip a coin!!!!!

• Options

Seems to me we're stepping back to the early 60's with these Sets. Yeah they're Silver but the overhang on the Market will always be there. Just hanging there, Nobody ever really wanting them.

• Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Given that this is a one of a kind set - I presume - why WOULDN'T a typical collector own at least one? No matter it's aesthetic appeal, mintage, etc... it represents a hole unfilled, were one to pass it by for whatever reason. Seem to me, the term "collector" wouldn't apply, and instead, "flipper" or "investor" might be more appropriate. For some, it would like Sheldon knocking only twice...

UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

I collect the silver proof sets, so I think this set is great. I don’t expect to make any money on it and don’t care.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

If there are still 200,000 serious collectors of Lincoln Cents or Kennedy Halves, then I'd say that this set has some nominal potential for appreciation. If not, it's just another speculative issue from the Mint. But hey, you just never know. B)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2018 5:39PM

I'm still in, this time I'm going to take it to the next level and WAIT until I return home from work. This will be around 3pm, will have been on sale for 3hrs +/- I'm sure the anxiety will just about take me out, but not to worry I will have a "Happy Pill" just in case...
    I am serious here, I'm in, all in, shoes and glasses too... :#

Edit to add: 6 days and counting~

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mt_msla said:
    I like it and plan on purchasing one.

And later, we will have the Denver "Mile-high" proof set, where the lenses are shaped in a form of connect-the-dots and it makes the shape of an airplane. And there is a smiling female stewardess and captain looking at you like, "Welcome aboard!”

And after that we'll have the Philly Cheese steak scratch-n-sniff proof set. It will help drive lunchtime demands for cheese-steak sandwiches around the world!

Finally, they will come out with a proof set from the long abandoned and defunct New Orleans mint. In the box will be a pair of ridiculous oversize green shades and several colorful bead necklaces.

You no doubt forgot to include the W mint proof set where coins come in camouflage capsules.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in for 3 or 4.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely. Neat the additional reverse Proof coins in this set.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

This silver set will be gold for eBay hucksters. HISTORY MAKING, FIRST EVER, GENUINE US MINT PRODUCT, SILVER REVERSE PROOF SET, MUST HAVE FOR EVERY COLLECTOR, DO NOT MISS OUT, SURE TO RISE IN VALUE, AND ON AND ON AND ON. If it sells out it will be worse.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am all for flipping... but I just don't see a huge opportunity here. I may be wrong.

• Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

In for one - add it to the pile. Paid for with profits from CRH so one addiction covers the other here.

Jim

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Still on the fence

• Options

Alarm is already set for 5:35 am (11:35 am EDT) Monday morning

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

+1
    2 days and counting...

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

I will buy 2 , then wait a bit to see what the 70 slabs bring. I bought a Enhanced Uncirculated 10 Coin Set in 70 for $80...so with the 200,000 Mintage I kind of expect the same thing here( with the silver premium mark up).

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2018 7:03AM

I don't care for the ATB quarters in general...nor do I like the designs of the Lincoln Cent(reverse) or Jefferson Nickel(obverse) these days so I can't justify buying the entire set. I would like to have the Roosie and Kennedy though. Might try to pick those up from someone that breaks it up!

• Options

Get your CC's ready boy's & girls, tomorrow is the big day! :#

• Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭

Decided to pass
    Just too many

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2018 10:03AM

I just blew $200.00 at my favorite USA Store Walmart on my dog and cat! Monies ALL SPENT NO COINS FOR ME. I think? :|

• Options

@Gluggo said:
    I just blew $200.00 at my favorite USA Store Walmart on my dog and cat! Monies ALL SPENT NO COINS FOR ME. I think? :|

You bought coins for your dog and cat ?

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kudbe to clarify I just blew any money I had to buy coins on my Dog and Cat. But that is a good point I should look into Willing my coins to my Dog . She can decide if she wants to share with Kitty.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

your dog and cat must of thought it was Christmas

• Options

@Gluggo said:

Good call! Better to spend money on YOUR Cat & Dog than buy Mint garbage and enable those JA's to have money to blow on THEIR Cat & Dog .

• Options

Today at Noon!

Rev up those browsers! :)

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FullStrike said:

@Gluggo said:

Good call! Better to spend money on YOUR Cat & Dog than buy Mint garbage and enable those JA's to have money to blow on THEIR Cat & Dog .

Why are you calling them John Albaneses? :wink:

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not scientific, but I think the paucity of responses to this thread tells you all you need to know about the possibility of price appreciation.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just want the Reverse Proof Lincoln Cent, so I'll wait for them to show up.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

You on Midway Island?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file