Home U.S. Coin Forum

2018 San Francisco Mint Silver Reverse Proof Set (18XC) (Sold out...)

Comments

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

Is there any ghost of a flipper market left at all? Are flippers still flipping. ? Flippers flopping? Floppers flipping or Floppers flopping?

I sort of want one of these sets but I think I'll aim to catch a Flop from a kindly old Desperado.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ohhhh Nooooo Not These! If I buy any it will be limited I got boxes of them from the last one. Are they going to sell 1000 boxes only to have them returned? Ohhhh wait they have a new policy in place! If their limit is 225,000 then only a few. Thats to big a number even though they sold out of last year's 225th Anv Enhanced set.

• dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Looking forward to see how this shakes out. I’m in for two either way. Maybe lessons learned by the mint with the EU set. I will predict a minimum of 100,000 with a first day limit of 2.

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

I am leaning towards no mintage limit....would be nice if they did have a reasonably low limit though

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the Mint does their usual product limits, I still think it'll be something like 200K, since the EU set sold 210K last year. (Their decision on product limits always seems to be based on a previous release.) Of course, they could surprise me...

A no product limit would mean SF would be on the hook to manufacture more if needed. I'm sure this is going to be a one and done for the S-Mint, like the EU set.

I don't care if they put HHL's on for the first couple of days. Since I have free shipping, I'm buying four or five, one at a time... :D

(And I'd find it fascinating if someone finds some proof coins with a normal obverse/reverse and a reverse proof reverse/obverse... Come on, Mint, you know you could do it... ;) )

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still in... :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

In hand and only 199.99

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FullStrike said:
    Is there any ghost of a flipper market left at all? Are flippers still flipping. ? Flippers flopping? Floppers flipping or Floppers flopping?

I sort of want one of these sets but I think I'll aim to catch a Flop from a kindly old Desperado.

I still successfully have a few US mint flips per year. The palladiums did very nicely for us this past year! I did not get them straight from the mint, but bought them early from the dealers, and flipped for a nice profit.

• RINATIONALSRINATIONALS Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

A 50k mintage equals less than 10 minute sellout and instantly worth $100. 75k sells out in a day and $100 by Christmas. 200k mintage is still avaliable into next year. The mint hasn't had a cheap <1000 winning flip for a while and may make this set an instant winner. They need to create some buzz to keep people feeling good and buying all the other sets & commems

buying Rhode Island Nationals please email, PM or call 401-295-3000
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dreamers

No flip, not hot.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Can't say whether it is "hot" or "not" until the mintage limit is released...if there is one

Ok

I'm expecting open ended sales, or maybe some thing inline with silver proof sales

I do expect a HH limit at first.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    edited June 16, 2018 7:47AM

No limit = no interest..

I guess I should revise that to "very little lasting interest"

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

the mint could put a 25,000 mintage on this set, and make it a instant collectible. but they won't. then they wonder what happened to all their loyal customers?

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give me a half dime in silver or a $5,$10 gold Indian, silver buffalo's in fractional like the 08 set in gold , I'll jump back in with both feet. I'll even max the CC sell the wife house kids and the dag. Well maybe not the dog. But the U.S mint just does not care.

Hoard the keys.
    edited June 19, 2018 3:02PM

200K Mintage.

HHL of 10 on first day. (All channels, including bulk purchases.)

All 10 coins will be in reverse proof.

Rev up those browsers... :D

Toast....

edited June 19, 2018 3:09PM

This is what the mint had on their web site. They have NO mintage or any limit listed yet. So do we really know for sure yet?

San Francisco Mint 2018 Silver Reverse Proof Set
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/san-francisco-mint-2018-silver-reverse-proof-set-18XC.html
    SAN FRANCISCO (S)
    N/A

This product will be available for sale on July 23, 2018, at 12 noon (ET).
    Remind Me

Item Number: 18XC

i'll buy this set a year from now for 45 dollars on a 10 percent e bay promo, so 4.50 in e bucks too

@coinpalice said:
    i'll buy this set a year from now for 45 dollars on a 10 percent e bay promo, so 4.50 in e bucks too

I am leaning towards what your posting however maybe 1.5 years from now for $35.00

edited June 19, 2018 3:26PM

@Gluggo said:
    This is what the mint had on their web site. They have NO mintage or any limit listed yet. So do we really know for sure yet?

San Francisco Mint 2018 Silver Reverse Proof Set
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/san-francisco-mint-2018-silver-reverse-proof-set-18XC.html
    SAN FRANCISCO (S)
    N/A

This product will be available for sale on July 23, 2018, at 12 noon (ET).
    Remind Me

Item Number: 18XC

Ye of little faith...

Special Product Marking 50 Years of Proof Coin Production at the San Francisco Mint Available on July 23

Orders are limited to ten sets per household across all sales channels, including bulk purchases, for the first 24 hours of sales after which the Mint will remove the limit. The maximum mintage is 200,000 units.

Thank you backroadjunkie!

@dmwest said:
    Sellout in 3 hours......

After midnight......

In July......

Ohhh goodie a guessing game on sell out! Yes everybody will be able to buy their 10. Then next day The big boys will buy them all up. But then they will start returning them by the thousands for lack of sale or interests. Then it will take 9 months to sell out after all the returns.

I'm in ! :#

Not hot

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Undecided

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,

ill Get two... one of the few sets that interest me this year. Will not appreciate, but I think it will hold its value .

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dennis1219 said:
    ill Get two... one of the few sets that interest me this year. Will not appreciate, but I think it will hold its value .

At 200,000 minted, it's a gamble. U.S. proof set sales have been dropping steadily for years.

edited June 19, 2018 8:19PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@dennis1219 said:

At 200,000 minted, it's a gamble. U.S. proof set sales have been dropping steadily for years.

Yes and its only 25,000 Less than the Production Limit for the 2017 225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set. We all know what a disaster that was. How do I know well I got lots of them in my closet and while it has value its not much more than a flower pot at this point. 225,000 is WAY to Much and 200,000 is not that much different.

50,000 Then maybe. Even that some here will say that's too much. Ohhh I will be in for a few but not 10.

• BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, the mint doesn't care about the secondary market. If it sells 50k then it sells 50k.

If it sells 225k and it takes 9 months it still sells 225k, as a business what would you prefer?

it always has return costumers. And they let everyone else speculate.

I'll watch like I always do, because every time I think it's a winner, it's not and vice versa.

I'll buy one for myself because a reverse proof in all silver will be a nice thing to pop in the safe with all the other stuff.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@dennis1219 said:

Yes and its only 25,000 Less than the Production Limit for the 2017 225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set. We all know what a disaster that was. How do I know well I got lots of them in my closet and while it has value its not much more than a flower pot at this point. 225,000 is WAY to Much and 200,000 is not that much different.

50,000 Then maybe. Even that some here will say that's too much. Ohhh I will be in for a few but not 10.

Actually, the EU sets are a Mint success story. They haven't dropped in value. Admittedly low bar, but that's the way things go with Mint products.

The value of the two sets is probably pretty similar in the long run. I think they both end up being $40 sets. The problem is, the reverse proof issue price is $55 while the EU sets was only $30.

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I have not bought from the mint for a few years now and will not ever again do so.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm saving my $$$ for Daniel Carr items....... >:)

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2018 11:09AM

I will buy a couple for the Grandkids as I always liked the look of the reverse proofs.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

In Coin World, July 9th edition, front page, digital edition available now, it says

200,000 max mintage, 10 HHL in the first 24 hours.

Will these figures effect your buying decision?

I'm not a huge fan of Rev Proofs but some are very nice. I will be there at the opening bell to get only one.

let's see, with the new sales tax and shipping, cost of the set will be 63.90, in my state anyway- so if I want to sell it, sales tax to sell too, plus about 5 dollars shipping and final value fees, paypal fees, close to 80 dollars to break even on this set. state sales tax still pending of course

edited June 23, 2018 12:19PM

@coinpalice said:
    let's see, with the new sales tax and shipping, cost of the set will be 63.90, in my state anyway- so if I want to sell it, sales tax to sell too, plus about 5 dollars shipping and final value fees, paypal fees, close to 80 dollars to break even on this set. state sales tax still pending of course

There is no sales tax.

Since the United States Mint is a federal government operation, purchases are exempt from sales tax.

If you've ordered three times from the mint this calendar year, there is no shipping charge either.

Will they get Milk Spots if Yes I will only buy 1.

• callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭

$55 + shipping? No thanks! If they had kept the price similar to the Enhanced set then maybe. I’ll wait a few months like other people have stated and get them for less.

@callawayc7 said:
    $55 + shipping? No thanks! If they had kept the price similar to the Enhanced set then maybe. I’ll wait a few months like other people have stated and get them for less.

Uh, you realize the higher price is because it's a silver set and not a clad set, right?

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

I’m good for 1 set

Don't quote me on that.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm done with the gimmicks. Too many of them.

I'm still in! :#

• callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@callawayc7 said:

Uh, you realize the higher price is because it's a silver set and not a clad set, right?

And yet it’s still over price.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

I recently found an article chronicling that mega fad known as the Beanie Craze. It followed the whole rise and fall of the "Hobby". I wish I could find a link to the article but it's not really important. What's important is that every promoted market follows the same pattern of abuse of all us sheep out here in the fleecing shed.

I like Coins. What I don't like is being played by fads.

I hope you all realize that if you skip this Set you'll be out in the cold , right? How will you feel when the price shoots up to $300 , in certain places? Not in my place, but in certain places.

Of course in 4 years ..... the price will be a smidgen over melt...... for the lucky ones. Everyone else will be lucky to even get a nibble.

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll do 10 - it's the 1 type so why not.

Hoard the keys.

Has there ever been a Reverse proof penny released by the U.S Mint. I know it won’t be in silver ( would be nice), but seems this might be a first.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @dennis1219 said:

Has there ever been a Reverse proof penny released by the U.S Mint. I know it won’t be in silver ( would be nice), but seems this might be a first.

I like the idea. And make it 95% copper.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2018 2:34PM

@callawayc7 said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@callawayc7 said:

And yet it’s still over price.

Compared to what? Have you priced any of the collector coins issued by the major World Mints? US Mint prices are low compared to theirs.

BTW, I'm in for a "few" sets.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file