Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The OFFICIAL COINSTAR FINDS THREAD

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Thor11 said:
    Would it not make more sense for CoinStar machines NOT to reject silver ??

If there weren't machines NOT rejecting silver I wouldn't be searching BWR dimes or halves. :) A lot of machines reject silver, but some older machines that don't sort by electronic means but by weight within a tolerance still take silver.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clad dime and 3 Lincolns today.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine the coinstar people feel that the small amount of silver that may be found when a machine does NOT reject silver, is not worth the wages they would pay to have people search the coins. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Thor11 said:

The machine determines denomination by weight. That's why it "rejects" silver, Canadian coins etc. I suppose if they wanted to change the technology of the machine and retrofit every machine currently in service they could keep everything. Then I guess technically they would be stealing your silver and foreign coinage.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

4 clad dimes and a Canadian 10c coin.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@blitzdude said:

@Thor11 said:

The machine determines denomination by weight. That's why it "rejects" silver, Canadian coins etc. I suppose if they wanted to change the technology of the machine and retrofit every machine currently in service they could keep everything. Then I guess technically they would be stealing your silver and foreign coinage.

One of my commercial banks still uses a coin counter that they have owned since the late 1950s - it doesn't reject silver and when they had some metro bus accounts it was worthwhile to buy up bags of dimes and quarters. When the metro bus company went to another bank the amount of silver dropped off precipitously and I stopped buying bags.

• Options

Not really a coin machine find, rather an interesting circulation find at the meat market today:

Normally I would pass on getting Canadian in change, but this one with the lousy picture is a keeper.

• Options

Still batting zero..... longest drought I have had.... :'( Cheers, RickO

• Options

1 Zincoln today

• Options

1 Canadian 25c coin and two tokens for a local zoo.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Full reject bin today. I thought jackpot, but nooooo. 26 cents only 3 coppers. One PGA tour Partners club token.

• Options

@tommy44 said:
    A record haul at my local grocery COINSTAR today. In fact more than all my finds to date combined. Except for some crud on the Cumberland Gap quarter I'm still scratching my head as to why they rejected.

The dime on the right looks FB. Too bad if it's not silver. FB Roosies are not easy to find.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

this thread reminds me of the old Phone booths. Have any of you found anything interesting in your prior life when phone booth existed

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

Yesterday zilch

Today, three dimes a zincoln and a 1963-D dime :)

• Options

@Kkathyl said:
    this thread reminds me of the old Phone booths. Have any of you found anything interesting in your prior life when phone booth existed

Yes

Yes, but I only know of one phone booth in a grocery store now and don't even check it at all - nobody likely uses it.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

1965 quarter from a almost always dry machine

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kkathyl said:

When I was about six my mom took my older brother on some errands. She went in a store I asked my brother if he wanted to race to the phone booth and check for change. He said no. When I checked it there was $1.40 in it. It was 1963, and my weekly allowance was .25. Quite a haul!!!!

• Options

If someone is loading coins into it, as soon as they finish, check it.

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2018 7:28PM

@Kkathyl said:

Circa 1965-1969 I faithfully checked every phone booth coin return slot I came across. The occasional dime or quarter mightily enhanced my $1 per week allowance.

Today I still check the much depleted number of phone booths I encounter. Earlier this year I found 50 cents that went into my dedicated "found money" jar. The last time I tallied the found money jar the total was a bit over $200.

• Options

3 zincolns and a Canadian dime today. NO silver.

• Options

Slightly OT but the mention of phone booths reminded me of this story that was regarded as fact at the newspaper where I started my career years ago, when pay phones were common. One of the veteran sportswriters, who actually was quite wealthy but known to co-workers as especially "thrifty", was in the habit of checking a particular pay phone on his walk home after his late night shift. This was known to some local cops, who worked the midnight shift and had seen him do it many times. One night, one of the cops salted the coin return with a handful of change. As the sportswriter drew within sight, the cop jumped out of his cruiser, walked up to the phone, and made a great show of pulling coins out of the return slot. The look on the guy's face could only be imagined by those who knew him.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got nothing here!

• Options

A measly zincoln.

• Options

Nothing.... again.... still...going on three weeks now. Ever since the machine broke down and they fixed it. Maybe they fixed it to send the rejects to an internal collection pot for the service guy.... :s What a revolting development that would be.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

A couple of rotten zincolns.

Got a '47 ML Canadian cent in change though.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

I seriously doubt that. No way they are being weighed at the rate those machines sort/count. They are more likely rejected or accepted according to their electromagnetic signature.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm beginning to understand how those desperate and wandering in the desert begin to see things that aren't there such as an oasis with a stream of cool fresh water.

I've been "desperate and wandering" for so long now walking past the Coinstar machine with no reward, that I've found myself looking into an obviously empty Coinstar reject bin, but staring at it and hoping that something is in there. I've been seeing silver dimes and quarters that in reality are not there.

I need to see a good psychiatrist about this affliction but I haven't found any doctor yet who will treat patients seeing mirages in the Coinstar reject bin.

• Options

The past couple of days finds
    39c in regular US change
    3 Canadian cents
    1 1917 wheat
    1 1941 wheat.

• Options

Picked up 2 quarters, a dime, nickel and cent from 2 machines, grocery store and Walmart, while running errands today.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yesterday, three clad dimes and a clad quarter.

Today, a clad dime, a rubber washer, and a 2" nail.

I'm on a roll!

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

Well...much like @stevek I am in my longest dry spell ever... and just yesterday found myself staring at the reject slot... then squinting, because the chipped paint in there 'might' have been concealing a coin... but NO... nothing, nada, zilch, zero... :'( Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always look, but haven't found any silver yet. Regular change and foreign, yep. But never silver. :(

• Options

@asheland said:
    I always look, but haven't found any silver yet. Regular change and foreign, yep. But never silver. :(

Last year, i found a 1962 and 1964 Roosie each on a separate occasion....so i figure there's always hope. B)

Never give up. :)

• Options

Never, never, never ever give up.... (one of my favorite Churchill quotes).... And so, I keep looking for coins in the reject slot... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding the occasional odd silver coin/wheat cent/ foreign coin is one thing, but when you start finding large amounts of silver and even the occasional gold coin, you gotta know that stuff was likely stolen and dumped by an ignorant thief who knew no better and just want to convert the "change" to cash.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@asheland said:

i guess long term memory kicks in at what, around 4 years old? I guess for some it's a bit sooner or later, but I can't recall ever not having a Lincoln cent Whitman album. So at a very early age, pre-memory, my Mom bought me the Whitman album and I loved getting the "pennies" and putting them in the album. A sense of accomplishment and accumulating wealth, or whatever it was. The bottom line is it was fun to do then, and it is still fun to do now.

Of course then it progressed to nickles, dimes, 2 x 2's, higher grades, slabs, etc, etc, etc...we all know the story. But I mention all this to say that even though I really don't technically have any interest in collecting foreign coins, it is still a bit of fun to get them in the Coinstar bin and look at them just because they are coins.

I realize many of these foreign coins are worthless as legal tender anywhere. I think for example that all French franc coins are no longer legal tender as of 2012. I'm not up to speed on how the Euro thing affected the legal tender status of other European coins, and I don't really care all that much. And I have no desire to buy those foreign coin lots seen on Ebay for cheap. However getting some foreign coins for free in the Coinstar bin, with the hope that some may be silver, and the quick enjoyment of looking at them because they are coins, well that's not all bad. :)

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been having some luck recently, over the past few weeks I've come up with the following:

• 1962 Roosevelt Dime
    • two 1943 Lincolns (I winced when I imagined how many wheat cents the machine probably accepted that day)
    • $0.77 in corroded quarters, dimes, and cents, plus a 2032 watch battery

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

Still nothing for me... this may be my longest drought since I started checking the machine......@stevek...I enjoy the foreign coins I find as well... I do not collect them (though I do accumulate them ;) )...Though I have saved coins from the various countries I have lived and worked in....I have found foreign coins, slugs, game tokens as well as the occasional silver and wheaties.... never gold though.. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Still nothing for me... this may be my longest drought since I started checking the machine......@stevek...I enjoy the foreign coins I find as well... I do not collect them (though I do accumulate them ;) )...Though I have saved coins from the various countries I have lived and worked in....I have found foreign coins, slugs, game tokens as well as the occasional silver and wheaties.... never gold though.. Cheers, RickO

"accumulate"...yes, that's also the right word for my foreign coins. :)

And they are probably worth the melt value for aluminum, zinc, copper, nickel or whatever else cheap metal is in them. LOL

• Options

Two clad quarters, one clad dime, a Canadian quarter and two Canadian dimes from the machine at the grocery store today.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2018 1:31PM

I found 46 cents in good old U.S. pocket change one day last month.
    Go figure

I never posted it to this thread but about a year or so ago on consecutive Saturdays I found one lone silver roosie sitting in the same machine.
    What are the odds of that?

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Never, never, never ever give up.... (one of my favorite Churchill quotes).... And so, I keep looking for coins in the reject slot... :D Cheers, RickO

Churchill looked for coins in the reject slot?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

3 Canadian 10c coins
    1 Canadian 5c coin dated 1964
    and three zincolns.

• Options
    Rich49Rich49 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

Wouldn't it great to find one of these ? I keep hoping :)

photo index.gif

• Options

Silver Rosie today, and a star note $1 in change.

• Options

You guys are killing me.... I went to the market twice yesterday... skunked both times.... :'( Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file