Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yacorie1 said:
    Here are some sample photos that I would hope are good enough for people to see what they are getting

Two nice coins. I believe your photos are fine. If those two coins are indicative of what you have for sale you should find some interest. Good luck

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the other coin I sent in for variety attribution- a 1911 S with a re-punched mintmark:

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Jeff! <3

• Options
    Yacorie1Yacorie1 Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2018 8:20AM

So I'm going through drawers, boxes and book to pull out coins that I don't think are needed anymore, I'm taking photos. I may have posted one or more of these in these threads over the years but not sure.

Hopefully no one minds if I just post a bunch of rookie phone and/or point and shoot pics...if so, I won't.

• Options

• Options

• Options

Nice coins. The 11-D Quarter and 15-P Half are nice to have better dates.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yacorie1 said:
    Here are some sample photos that I would hope are good enough for people to see what they are getting

Agree with comments concerning the Buy Sell Trade or BST forum Jim mentioned for selling stuff.

For the coin pics, pretty good... but can you cut out the white space? I have Adobe Photoshop when I do mine. I know the cheaper option might be Microsoft Paint - a little less glorious but it can work.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

I don't have photoshop so I'll have to play around with the pictures in paint to see if I can just focus on the coin and remove the other stuff. I'll give that a shot once I'm done with pictures. If i can figure out how to take a decent picture, I'll try to photo the ones in the set.

• Options
    edited March 26, 2018 8:21AM

• Options

• Options

Nice 98-S!

• Options

• Options

The first one is way off blue, but the rest are real nice.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2018 5:56AM

I picked this one up at the ANA in Irving, TX;

(images by @robec)

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Now that’s a GREAT looking ‘92 Half. Raw?

• Options

No, I am too scared to buy anything raw anymore...been burned too many times on submissions. I picked it up from JJTeaparty before they could throw an image online. Bob (@robec) does a wonderful job at imaging!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:
    No, I am too scared to buy anything raw anymore...been burned too many times on submissions. I picked it up from JJTeaparty before they could throw an image online. Bob (@robec) does a wonderful job at imaging!

Great looking coin and pictures.

• Options

@oih82w8 said:
    I picked this one up at the ANA in Irving, TX;

(images by @robec)

Where's the doubling? You don't buy regular coins. ;)B)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

Those were the days...I am beginning to drift away from varieties and focus on "eye-appeal"...if they happen to merge...so much the better!

• Options

@oih82w8 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Those were the days...I am beginning to drift away from varieties and focus on "eye-appeal"...if they happen to merge...so much the better!

Oh No....that just leaves me and..............surely there is one more........I feel so all alone. (cricket sounds). :(

• Options
    USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

Does PCGS keep pop reports on error coins?

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heading to Baltimore for Thursday and Friday show. Snow doesn't scare me. Who's in?

More coins, less government.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not looking good. I haven't verified but I heard all flights were cancelled at BWI today(and NY). Hope to see you there if I'm able to make it!

@paesan said:
    Heading to Baltimore for Thursday and Friday show. Snow doesn't scare me. Who's in?

• Options

@paesan said:

Have fun Lenny. Find a couple nice Barbers

• Options

An old adage says you win some and you lose some. I've just had that experience.

A 4 coin raw submission returned yesterday from our hosts. Two of the coins were crackouts from NGC slabs; an 1896 O Dime in a XF 45 holder and a 1902 O Quarter in an AU 58 holder. Here are the results:

I came out on the plus side by the coins upgrading/ downgrading as they did, but I would have been just as happy to see them return in holders the same grade as NGC assigned.

• Options

Nice coins Jeff. Nice upgrade on the 96-O Dime! :)

• Options

Nice coins. Definitely nicer to come out ahead than the other way around.

• Options
    edited March 26, 2018 8:22AM

• Options

Nice '05 S Half!

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back home in cold, northern Illinois. I should be more regular on my posts now. Lot's of nice coins posted since my last entry.

Pics for this PM, newp from Joe W's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Welcome to Winter Vern. Glad you’re home
    Jim

• Options

@barberkeys said:
    Back home in cold, northern Illinois. I should be more regular on my posts now. Lot's of nice coins posted since my last entry.

Pics for this PM, newp from Joe W's collection, PC58:

Vern, welcome back. Nice peripheral toning on that '99.

• Options

Very nice '99 Quarter, Vern.

Here's another coin fresh back from the grading room, a 1901 S Half:

This was a raw submission. I thought about cutting the coin in half to see if PCGS would grade it as 2- 1901 S Quarters.

Since I already have a nice AU 55 this one becomes a spare.

• Options
    edited March 25, 2018 6:06AM

Jeff, That '01-S is one of those coins that looks better and better as you zoom in for a close-up. I like the copper color and the luster that exudes from underneath. Is it the lighting or is it a faint outline of a RPD on top of the date?

• Options

Jeff - Always good to a have a deep bench of 01-S anything, dime qtr or half.

Pics for this PM, another newp out of Joe W's collection, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Jeff....I am with you. I prefer the new one in this case. Nice pick up!

• Options
    edited March 26, 2018 6:58AM

You are killing this thread for me with your HUGE pictures! My internet is pretty fast and if I can even get everyone else's pictures to load it is taking about 5 minutes for me to get a page to load after several refreshes! At least crop your pictures!

Edit to add......haven't been commenting on coins because if I can even get all the pictures to load I have better things to do than sit around waiting on pictures to load!

@Yacorie1 said:
    I don't have photoshop so I'll have to play around with the pictures in paint to see if I can just focus on the coin and remove the other stuff. I'll give that a shot once I'm done with pictures. If i can figure out how to take a decent picture, I'll try to photo the ones in the set.

Hopefully no one cares that I'm posting all of these.

1896-O

1908-S

1898 quarter

• Options

We have the same tastes as well! I much prefer your newp and an OGH to boot! Drop below AU and I prefer the look of the 1st one.

@JeffMTampa said:
    Vern-

Good strike for an '02 O- most are very poor.

I tried to love the '92 AU 58 Half with the dark natural patina I purchased a few monts ago, but I found myself not happy with it:

Time to move on. I picked up a new one that I know I'll love:

I know most on this thread prefer the look of the first one, but the newp has the the 58 look I prefer.

• Options

Thanks Yacorie! Here is a comparison in real life that relates to size and cropping:

I was having a road put in on my property and needed piping for a ditch we were crossing. The grader wanted to put in 2 30 inch diameter pipes....but told me they only had 36 inch diameter pipes in stock. I looked at him and told him...a 36 inch pipe will carry more water than 2 30 inch pipes. He told me no way and proceeded to call the pipe company! 10 minutes later he came back and told me I was right and a 36 inch pipe would be here this afternoon!

• Options
    edited March 27, 2018 8:48AM

@amwldcoin said:
    Thanks Yacorie! Here is a comparison in real life that relates to size and cropping:

I was having a road put in on my property and needed piping for a ditch we were crossing. The grader wanted to put in 2 30 inch diameter pipes....but told me they only had 36 inch diameter pipes in stock. I looked at him and told him...a 36 inch pipe will carry more water than 2 30 inch pipes. He told me no way and proceeded to call the pipe company! 10 minutes later he came back and told me I was right and a 36 inch pipe would be here this afternoon!

Does that mean the area of a 36" circle is twice that of a 30" circle? I forgot how to find area. :/

edited to add.....if I did the math right the area of a 30" is 2218.41 where 36" is 3194.51.....not double, but almost half again as big.

Not trying to be picky....just curious. :)B)o:)

• Options

You are right...had to jossle my memory...he was going to use 24 inch pipes...save him a little digging LOL!

@DIMEMAN said:

@amwldcoin said:

Does that mean the area of a 36" circle is twice that of a 30" circle? I forgot how to find area. :/

edited to add.....if I did the math right the area of a 30" is 2218.41 where 36" is 3194.51.....not double, but almost half again as big.

Not trying to be picky....just curious. :)B)o:)

• Options

Jeff - I'm in the first '92 camp, but I'm not so sure the majority of collectors would be. That's one of the things that make this a great hobby, not everyone likes the same thing. and it leaves a lot of room for discussions.

Darrell - Putting math into the thread, eh? Things are complicated enough just trying to get a number on the grade of a coin. I'd sure like to find a nice 01-S quarter in 7.615773 squared.

Pics for this PM, spent a long time at the bank today refreshing my old mind with what is in my safety deposit box, and one that stuck out as more attractive than I remembered (and much better than my pics) is this PC-8 squared:

Vern
    l
  • Options

I posted a couple of "flawed" Barber Halves in seperate threads on this site over the weekend, but I thought I would post them here as well. Here's a raw '97 O Half that I purchased a few weeks back:

It appears to be a delamination. Aside from the big chunk missing on the reverse at 5:00 there's loose laminated bits at around 11:00. Aother ideas on this one?

Here's a 1893 O Half I purchased a few months back and submitted to PCGS. I was a bit surprised it came back straight graded:

My best guess is the planchet was improperly annealed (leaving it too hard) and struck in a previously bulged (Mumps) die. The metal was too hard to properly flow into the expanded "Mumps" voids, and left a ripple effect. Any other ideas on this one?

• Options

Jeff - Interesting 97-O. I'd make an uneducated guess that those 3 obv horizontal marks were made at the time of striking.

Pic for this PM, only coin I have with a similar issue:

And a pic of a barber, as it's the barber thread, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    I posted a couple of "flawed" Barber Halves in seperate threads on this site over the weekend, but I thought I would post them here as well. Here's a raw '97 O Half that I purchased a few weeks back:

It appears to be a delamination. Aside from the big chunk missing on the reverse at 5:00 there's loose laminated bits at around 11:00. Aother ideas on this one?

Jeff, That bit to the right of the mintmark interests me as well. Perhaps the planchet wasn't annealed properly. Very curious. https://youtu.be/mBjD9N1APsw

• Options

Thanks for posting the video link, Tim. Very interesting!

Yes, the mark near the tail is a delamination as well. It's my understanding that as the metal strip gets rolled thinner and thinner it gets more brittle at each pass. My guess is the separation of layers in the metal occurred during this process. It's possible the planchet wasn't properly annealed as well, shattering the layers. It sure would be fun to go back in time and see what was going on at the New Orleans Mint.

• Options

Pics for this PM, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I recently purchased a PC58 1907 S Quarter. Has not been to CAC. yet

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file