Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1957 Topps Baseball discussion

Comments

• Options
    by the way - i don't expect to get that much either. it's just fishing experiment. or best offer. might auction. or send to psa. can't decide
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭

<< <i>I am not Lucy. So, that should settle that. >>

Lucy or Lucky, but don't call me surely . . .
  • Options

<< <i>I'm open to anyone wanting to sell some 1957Ts PSA 8 or better. I already have 30ish cards or so (all commons except for 1). Lemme know! Thanks!

John >>

PM sent!
    Always looking for vintage White Sox cards at reasonable prices.
  • Options
    put it up on ebay. don't have the patience and i'm not a collector of the set. if anyone is interested, here ya go:

link
  • Options
    well, only went for 180, so you were right about me asking silly prices i guess. still a lot better than a garage full of junky 90s cards!
  • Options
    Noticed I've got #108, Tommy Byrne in PSA 8 for sale. It's ending on eBay tomorrow night with a starting bid of $120, but I can sell it off the Bay for $115 delivered if anybody's interested before tomorrow night. PM me!

Always looking for vintage White Sox cards at reasonable prices.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm open to anyone wanting to sell some 1957Ts PSA 8 or better. I already have 30ish cards or so (all commons except for 1). Lemme know! Thanks!

John >>

pm sent
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Itlooks like carterscards is selling off someones really nice 57 set.

Man there are some super cards already listed today.

PS I wish it was mine!!!
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been thinking of doing this set in PSA 7. I love this set, and the action shots are great. The only downside is the Mantle. Its my least favorite Topps issue Mantle.
  • Options
    Good luck downtown and tigerdean on the 57 set. I had a great time looking for my set over the past 8 years.
    I havent done much with cards in the last two years, but plan on finishing up the last two monsters of my set this year.

Does anyone know who is selling that set thru Carterscards?
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Anyone have ex to ex-mt raw cards for sale? I'm looking to finish the set.
    TIA and Happy New Year!
  • Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 905 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dave for the kind words. I am enjoying putting this set together. Just full of stars and hall of famers when they were still young.
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    I like the bump, but I was hoping to open the thread and see some action.

Where is everyone at?
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    anyone here working on this set.
    I started 6 months ago with focus on HOF and stars in PSA 6/7
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    I am! ~86% complete in PSA 7....

Trying to find the $$$$ for the Mantle, Mays, Williams, etc.

Prices seem to have jumped significantly on Ebay since I started this set a few years ago. PSA 7 and 8 commons were $12 and $20 apiece respectively when I started - now they are at least $18 and $30.....

I just finished checking out Mile High's offering for '57s - pretty extensive collection of PSA 8s and 9s.
    Les Aiello
    AAA
  • Options
    Glad to see some activity on the 1957 Baseball discussion forumimage
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    Hello everybody!!! YEEEHAW@!!!
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    I was 28 when this thread started...im now 36 going on 37 in Feb!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    It's been a long time since I posted on the boards. I am still in the need of card 407 to finish off my set.

Hopefully we can get this thread jump started again
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    manscomansco Posts: 229
    Great set! I only need Kubek and Senators Team in PSA 8 to complete.
  • Options
    ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭✭
    Bumping up this thread. I just started this set - anyone else still working on this?
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been working on it for about 10 years now. All PSA 8 or better. Down to just a handful (some of which I had but wanted to get better examples because I am OCD when it comes to centering and print issues).

Recent market strength has pushed a lot of these cards much higher. Had a beautifully centered Mantle in 8 which PSA said could also have been a 9 (PD) upon review (ugly orange splotch under Mantle's bat) which I parted with and need to replace. Other that nothing too major to chase.

Dave
  • Options
    ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭✭
    I purchased the Mays and a few other psa 7s a couple of weeks ago and I love the cards. I figure this will be a fun ride to get nicely centered cards. I bought about 100 cards advertised as nm, and send in 30 hoping to jump start my set. Right now I am getting any psa 7 common that is well centered that is on the bay for $11 and under.

I know this question has been asked a few times in this thread, but it is a bit dated - any tips? image

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options
    I am selling about 200 1957 Topps baseball cards PSA 8. Mostly commons. If interested let me know how to contact you.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been slowly picking up cards for this set when I see a strong example. I'm sitting at just under 25% complete and just above 8 GPA. Will probably take another 10 years to complete but it is one of my favorite sets.
  • Options

:'( had to dig deep to find this old thread.
    Man, reminds me of my favorite years of collecting this wonderful set.

1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Great set. One of my favorites

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

Two years ago was the last post

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

I have all my 1957 cards from my days as a 10 year old. Many years back, I sent several cards to Beckett (BVG) for grading. I remember buying the '57 Topps in the penny packs. These had the gum on the front of the card (both face down in the wrapper) so the back was up when the packs were sealed. Many of these packs resulted in a top to bottom line of wax stain. While I have attached some examples of what I am talking about, my real search for understanding rests with a) keep the cards as BVG or 2) sub to PSA. I know card stains result in some real downgrading but the stains on the 57 penny packs could hardly be avoided (in no way am I implying these stains are natural or should be treated any differently than any other card stain). What is your experience with PSA and '57 Topps back card stains a) for cards you have subbed for 1st time grading; b) cards you have re-submitted; or c) any related grading experience with back stains.

I hope you can provide some ideas or suggestions as to what you would do with these cards which will help me sort this all out.!

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

It goes without saying but I'll say it, anyway: those present really, really well for those grades.

If you're keeping them, I would leave them where they are. The subgrades tell quite a story on these cards, one that might get lost with just a PSA grade on the flip. .

• Options

Excellent point, GDM67, and thanks for the nice comment. These cards will never be sold by me as they truly have special meaning to me. They will go to kids/grandkids who I hope will appreciate them half as much as I do. BVG changed their "numbering system" for their graded cards about 4-5 years ago. As a result, these cards do not show up on the Beckett inventory system. They said I could send them in for re-holdering/new number at the same grade but I had to foot the bill for all shipping. This was moving me to consider PSA where I thought they might not be quite as tough on the back stains and could possibly grade better. I slightly recall there is a service that can remove these type of stains. I am not sure who provides that service and if I would want to risk it on these cards.

• Options

I agree with GDM67, the cards look great just how they are. In building my set several years ago I had a large amount of raw cards that had a lot of wax staining, as well as gum. I was not around to open packs back then so your story certainly helped gain a picture of what it might have been like opening packs in 1957. It goes without saying, but enjoy your cards anyway you can. I started enjoying the grades more than the cards and lost a lot of my interest over the years.

1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

In the early 2000's, I started building a PSA 7 53 Bowman set. At that time many of the cards that were available on eBay (Teletrade was big back then too) had wax stains on the back. These were graded without qualifiers. I gave up that pursuit in 02 or 03 so I don't know if PSA's stance has changed since then. I heard that since penny packs were more popular than the nickel packs that they allowed some staining. I'd pm 53BKid as I'm sure he would know more about the 53's at least and maybe something about other 50's cards as well.

fwiw, after I gave up on the 53's, I started and successfully built a 56 Topps set. I'm fairly certain that wax stains would receive a qualifier that year. Not sure if the packaging differed from 56 to 57 and if penny packs were still more popular than nickel packs?

Also, I wouldn't remove the stains as I would think PSA may be able to pick up on that. Dick Towle's Gone With The Stain is the leader in that field I believe.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options

I appreciate the feedback mealeworm and mrpeanut39.
    Jim

• Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

I've always liked this set and decided to have a go at it. I'm going to try and assemble a PSA 7-8 set. If anyone has any well centered cards available please let me know.

Thanks
    Jeff

• Options

How do you send a private message on the forum now? Can anyone help with this? Since I cannot see how to send you a private message, I will just have to answer here on the forum. I am also working on the 1957 set. My basic set is #26 on the Registry and my master set is #8 on the registry. I have several extras as I upgrade from 7's to 8's and get better centered cards. You will have to tell me what you consider well centered.

Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
    1960-62 Fleer Team Logo Decals Run
  • Options

Here's the first highlights from my new set. Can anyone tell me what the key cards are besides Mantle? Also what commons are extremely tough?

• Options

Great start to the set!!!
    There are many nice examples of nearly every card in 7 or 8 grade. I found that if you are willing to wait for the card it will surface over time. As far as difficult commons, there are many that all come from the mid series that are extremely difficult in 8 or better, but very attainable in PSA 7. The set is full of HOFers so there are many key cards, so that term might mean more/less based on what drives you- registry. For me, I feel the two Robinson are very under rated. I personally love the Aaron, Clemente, and Williams. As far as great cards that don't get the love, Berra, Colavito, and Campanella are some of my favorites. In my quest the #407 powers hitters has been the most difficult card for me to get and keep. I have sold multiple copies of both #95 and #407 in hopes to replace with what I consider a "keeper". I just cant find the right card that makes me happy. I DO have a new #407 that I just purchased that might be the one, still in transit!!! That would leave me down to just the Mantle!!!

1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2017 1:27PM

Arrived today. Looks even better in person and the corners are very sharp. I think I will keep it and focus on the #95 Mantle

1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options

Cool thread. Love the 57s. Have an extra #407 for sale.

• Options

Those are both very nice Mantle/Berra cards. Too bad that PSA 8 would be a little out of my price range.

Jeff

• Options

I am very happy with my 7, as I pretty much figured I would need to pick up an 8 in order to be happy. Lets see how the Mantle #95 search goes????

1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options

The registration on the PSA 8 might be the best I have ever seen.

1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

I have see what's on Ebay. Would rather work a deal here at a better price

Looking for EXMT to NM or better

1 Ted williams PSA 6 wanted
    117 Joe Adcock
    170 Snider
    272 Shantz
    290 Carey
    319 GINO CIMOLI
    324 Dodgers Tm,
    328 Brooks Robinson PSA 6 wanted

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own the Yankees Power Hitters psa-8 serial number 40404169. Buyer beware!!!!!! Avoid seller Undergraded!!!!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

That post was over a year ago. Wonder if he ever sold your card ? :)

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

oops!

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Bump for anyone still around working on the 57s.

I started on this set in 2004 and really enjoyed some of the earlier years meeting a lot of great collectors.

1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
  • Options
    bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have a question and would like to get some of your views. I'm really thinking about selling most of my modern and to do vintage. I'm 66, which may come into play if it's going to take a long time to do. Anyway, right now I have a 1956 Topps Basic set started and the 1961 Topps Basic set started. Which set, between 1956 or 1957 would be best to do. Right now I must say I like the 57 set better as far as design and aesthetics go. Correct me if I'm wrong, I do think both sets are smaller sets which would make a difference. So which set should I do along with my 61s?