Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:

A beautiful example. NGC MS65.
    Take a look @giorgio11

Wow @abuelo cool surfaces on that Peso, very nice!

Kind regards,

George aka Jorge

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can’t see third party images. Ur

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

Danish West Indies vs British West Indies

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2018 6:43PM

Beautiful piece, Brian!

• Options

That is a wonderful set @bosox - must feel great completing it! I think it deserves it's own thread with a commentary! :)

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me why this coin is so hard to find? Also, maybe tell me where to find one for sale? Thank you.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2018 6:46PM

@Abuelo said:
    From an ignored series in Mexican numismatics. Not sure how is that only got a 64...

Slightly embarrassed to say this here, but I have never seen this type before. So, ignored is probably a good way to describe it. Nice coin!!

Edit to add -- How cool would this little set look in one of those PCGS or NGC multi-coin holders...1882 & 1883 Mexico 5 centavos (two year type), 1882 & 1883 US Shield nickels (last two years of the series), and then both the 1883 w/o Cents and w/ Cents Liberty 'V' nickels!!

Jeff

• Options
    edited February 23, 2018 11:43PM

@Abuelo said:
    @cecropiamoth perhaps then you have never seen this one either? They have an interesting history. The people did not like these coins as were not silver, so in a revolt, they threw them at the National Palace yelling to the President to bring back silver coinage...

In my original reply I was going to speculate that the reason for the 5 centavo CuNi coin being just a two year type was the fact that it was not silver. It made sense, thank you for confirming. @Abuelo -- that is correct, I have never seen either this one or two centavo type. Learn something here everyday!! I'm guessing these failed as the Mexican public wanted the composition of those super small denoms to be of pure copper?

Jeff

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cecropiamoth said:

In my original reply I was going to speculate that the reason for the 5 centavo CuNi coin being just a two year type was the fact that it was not silver. It made sense, thank you for confirming. @Abuelo -- that is correct, I have never seen either this one or two centavo type. Learn something here everyday!! I'm guessing these failed as the Mexican public wanted the composition of those super small denoms to be of pure copper?

Jeff

For sure they wanted back the 5 cent silver coins. There were no 2 cent coins before (and would not be minted again until the XX century). I cannot tell if they really missed the coppers.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoledandCreative said:
    Can anyone tell me why this coin is so hard to find? Also, maybe tell me where to find one for sale? Thank you.

I don't know the coin or the series but it seems likely that this piece is a contemporary (i.e., made to circulate) counterfeit. If so, it's easy to imagine that very few pieces were produced.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you, Andy, for you opinion. I am fairly certain it is genuine. The weight is 3.94 grams, book says 4.12 grams. Since the condition is far from wonderful, I think acceptable. It is one of the better dates that I had been unable to locate. Then this one made an appearance in Bogotà. I am still looking for an uncirculated one but don't know if I will ever find one. It catalogs $7 and, for the overdate $12.50, in Krause. I would be happy to pay a few multiples of those prices just to get one of each for my set. I would also like to know the reason for their difficulty to locate.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

I really like that one.

• Options

@Boosibri That's an amazing coin, Brian!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2018 7:13PM

@Boosibri said:
    @pruebas ...not a fan?

Too weak a strike for my liking.

Edited to add: You’ve got some fantastic coins in your collection. This shouldn’t be one of them.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

@Boosibri said:
    @pruebas ...not a fan?

Too weak a strike for my liking.

Find another near gem Chilean piece with great color.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mrs. carabonnair picked these up from circulation last time she was in Guatemala. Same KM 284, but the designs are slightly different.

• Options
    tonedSilvertonedSilver Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Coins in this thread are truly breathtaking. Thank you for sharing everyone and keep 'em coming.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:

For your viewing pleasure...

@Abuelo cool low-mintage Culiacán mint issue! 56,360 pieces according to Buttrey.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options

@giorgio11 said:

MS65+ PCGS. Incredibly high grade.

Kind regards,

George

Go for it!

• Options

On its way to me. This Hidalgo Grande is a two-year type and the 1955 has a mintage far less than the 1956--584,500 coins versus 3.5 million, yet there is little market differentiation (and there are so many types from this era).

Comments?

Kind regards,

George

Like the Hidalgos @giorgio11 a lot.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

Man Brian, that Mo overdate totally rocks. Love that pull-away toning! I would have been all over that one in less than a minute if I would have seen it!!

Jeff