Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is awesome. :)

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an awesome coin, Dan. 64+ makes it also the highest graded portrait Mexico 8 Reales this side of the street. Congrats!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stork, I like that one!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Transitional Carlos III Bust, Carlos IIII Legend

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    1Bustcollector, I was just busting him for an obviously puffed up claim.

Here's what CRO actually said about the coin:

In 20+ years of concerted searching, this is the single nicest Pillar 4 Reales we've ever had the chance to buy, and it just happens to be this rare and seldom seen early issue.

In other words, all the others were fully/over priced and he couldn't make any money on them.

All the others? Where? When? I meant exactly what I wrote: We've never had a chance to buy a nicer Pillar 4R - at any price, or at any time.

I'm sure something exists, out there, and maybe we'll get a shot at it privately or at auction eventually, but so far that was it.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinRaritiesOnline said:

@pruebas said:
    1Bustcollector, I was just busting him for an obviously puffed up claim.

Here's what CRO actually said about the coin:

In 20+ years of concerted searching, this is the single nicest Pillar 4 Reales we've ever had the chance to buy, and it just happens to be this rare and seldom seen early issue.

In other words, all the others were fully/over priced and he couldn't make any money on them.

All the others? Where? When? I meant exactly what I wrote: We've never had a chance to buy a nicer Pillar 4R - at any price, or at any time.

I'm sure something exists, out there, and maybe we'll get a shot at it privately or at auction eventually, but so far that was it.

Regardless, that really is a fantastic coin, and I'm glad Boosibri got it for his collection.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here we go... :)

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019 4:22AM

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you! I'm always on the lookout for cool NFLD and Canadian pieces, but I have come to believe that oftentimes no one else wants them once I find them. D'oh!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    edited September 28, 2017 2:01PM
  • Options
    RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

The bosox penny looks like it is ex-Landon collection. Very nice.
    I have a few from that collection up for auction in Toronto this fall. Selling most of my Canadian collection to finance my British.

• Options

Here we go... Very happy!

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the new addition to your set.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:

Very tough date! Mine is not as nice, but it's just a cheap placeholder. I didn't bid on the Stuart coin because I'm hoping for better, so you got off cheap!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@MrEureka said:

@Abuelo said:

Very tough date! Mine is not as nice, but it's just a cheap placeholder. I didn't bid on the Stuart coin because I'm hoping for better, so you got off cheap!

Well thank you very much!!!

• Options

This is the reason why (rightfully or not) I was not able to get the 8 escudos @MrEureka

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    This is the reason why (rightfully or not) I was not able to get the 8 escudos @MrEureka

You'll get a better 8E one day.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭

The 1896 cent surprisingly was not a Landon coin. It came from another mini-hoard that came to market about a year ago. The coins in the Landon sale were amazing, both for quality and quantity. I also have several.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mvs7 said:

Still a few minutes left of Thursday here in Washington state... this one just spent almost three months at our host in the economy queue, but the grade was worth the wait. Minted in Philadelphia on behalf of Ecuador, it's part of the World Coins Manufactured by Mints of the United States set.

That’s a great idea for a set! And nice coin.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:

Thanks! The set is pretty massive--more than 1,000 coins for 41 different countries. Many are common coins, like the proof set coins for Panama or Liberia in the 1970s, but many older issues from the late 1800s through the 1940s are hard to find, especially in nice condition. I collaborated with PCGS to add a set composite for it a few years ago... there's a link to my set in my signature below.

• Options

@mvs7 said:

@OriginalDan said:

Thanks! The set is pretty massive--more than 1,000 coins for 41 different countries. Many are common coins, like the proof set coins for Panama or Liberia in the 1970s, but many older issues from the late 1800s through the 1940s are hard to find, especially in nice condition. I collaborated with PCGS to add a set composite for it a few years ago... there's a link to my set in my signature below.

Holy cow, had no idea there were so many. That's a huge set.

• Options

@OriginalDan said:
    Holy cow, had no idea there were so many. That's a huge set.

I think most people that collect foreign coins minted in the US do a type set, country set, or pick a few of the countries and specialize... some of the most popular subsets are the U.S. Philippines (1903-1945), Cuba (1915-Castro), or the Dominican Republic (1897-1960).

• Options

OK, today is Saturday but here we go...

• Options

One more...

• Options

I recognize that one @mvs7, ex. RYK

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    I recognize that one @mvs7, ex. RYK

Oh, cool... I actually didn't know that, Brian. I just thought it was ex. Boosibri. ;)

• Options

@mvs7 said:

@Boosibri said:
    I recognize that one @mvs7, ex. @RYK

Oh, cool... I actually didn't know that, Brian. I just thought it was ex. Boosibri. ;)

A very meaningful provenance for certain

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    Whoa. Now that's a big, gorgeous chunk of history. All it's missing is a big "EB" punch in the field about 3:00 and I'd literally give my left testicle for it. :o

OUCH!!

Paul
  • Options

I have always loved the surface obverse on the Peruvian, Argentinian and CAR pieces.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone notice anything unusual with this coin?

Just wondering...!

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

@YQQ said:
    Does anyone notice anything unusual with this coin?

Is that a 1385?