Home Sports Talk

College Football 2017

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

This likely is an earlier start than last year, but it gives folks here the chance to write what they think and make the "you read it here first" type of predictions. So what is gonna happen?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2017 3:42AM

Can't wait CoinKat !!

ACC - FSU
    Big 10 - OSU
    Big 12 - Oklahoma
    PAC 12 - USC
    SEC - Alabama

Playoff:
    OSU vs FSU
    USC vs Bama

Championship Game:
    Bama 31
    OSU 13

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't wait CoinKat !!

ACC - OSU
    Big 10 - OSU
    Big 12 - OSU
    PAC 12 - OSU
    SEC - OSU

Playoff:
    OSU v OSU
    OSU v OSU

Championship Game:
    OSU VS OSU

Winner OSU

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect T. Boone Pickens would be pleased to read that foks here have such high hopes for The Oklahoma State University this upcoming season...

Seems there is more to write before all the publications take center stage in another month or two.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Justacommeman, I'm starting to love you :)

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

edited May 28, 2017 4:26AM

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pre season rankings don't mean much. I've not looked it up but I heard a coach tell his players in an effort to fire them up that OSU has never won a National Title when ranked #1 pre season. I'd rather start lower and work our way up. This year can be tough. We have to get by Oklahoma, we have to go to that State up North which will be improved and well coached, as well as watch out for an opponent that plays over their head as we take a week off. But anyway GO BUCKS!

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

edited May 28, 2017 6:55AM

Looks like the Big 10 will be traveling south again for bowl games.

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess I'll throw my prediction up. Can't wait for college football to start. Not long now!

ACC - Clemson
    Big 10 - PSU
    Big 12 - Oklahoma
    PAC 12 - USC
    SEC - Alabama

Playoff:
    PSU vs Clemson
    USC vs Alabama

Championship Game:
    PSU 24
    Alabama 35

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

Current odds to win the 2017 National Championship:

Alabama +350
    Ohio State +500
    USC +700
    Florida State +750
    Michigan +1200
    Penn State +1200
    Oklahoma +1400
    Georgia +1800
    Auburn +2000
    LSU +2000
    Clemson +2000
    Louisville +2200
    Texas +2800
    Washington +3300
    Notre Dame +4000
    Florida +4000
    Oklahoma State +5000
    Virginia Tech +5000
    Wisconsin +5000
    Tennessee +6600
    Kansas State +6600
    Miami (FL) +6600
    UCLA +6600
    West Virginia +6600
    Oregon +7500
    TCU +7500
    Texas A&M +10000
    Michigan State +10000
    Colorado +10000
    Ole Miss +10000
    NC State +10000
    Nebraska +10000
    Boise State +15000
    Utah +15000
    Iowa +25000
    Arizona State +25000
    Arkansas +25000
    North Carolina +25000
    BYU +30000
    Minnesota +30000
    Baylor +30000
    Houston +30000
    Mississippi State +30000
    Northwestern +30000
    Pittsburgh +30000
    South Carolina +30000
    Duke +30000
    Arizona +50000
    California +50000
    Boston College +50000
    Cincinnati +50000
    Kentucky +50000
    Maryland +50000
    Missouri +50000
    Odds as of June 5 at Bovada

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

I think Michigan has a better shot than USC... Not sure the Trojans are the best team in the PAC10 and OSU may not be the best in the Big10. Out of the dark horses maybe North Carolina and Ole Miss could be the most underrated... And USC and Penn State might be getting the benefit of the doubt...

64 more days before Bama vs FSU, Michigan vs Florida, UCLA vs Texas A&M and Ohio State vs Indiana.

I think the Big 10 has really improved the last few years. I look for some good games from Big 10 this year. I'll be watching Penn State to see if last year was a fluke or the real deal. Coach Franklin is a very good coach and has good players coming in.

64 and counting.............

Can't wait til Labor Day weekend. Some great matchups.

I will acknowledge improvement in the Big Ten when the conference fairs better in inter conference play and and wins more in post season bowls.

edited July 4, 2017 1:42PM

@coinkat said:
    I will acknowledge improvement in the Big Ten when the conference fairs better in inter conference play and and wins more in post season bowls.

They had a pretty good record in interconference play last year. Ohio State beat Oklahoma, Wisconsin beat LSU, Nebraska beat Oregon and Wyoming, Michigan beat Colorado, Michigan State beat Notre Dame, and Northwestern beat two ACC teams. Minnesota went 4-0 against inter-conference teams. Several of their bowl losses could've went either way. Penn State should've beat USC.

-Ohio State lost to Clemson in a manner in which Woody Hayes likely turned in his grave;
    -Illinois was embarrassed by North Carolina as well as othe teams on their schedule;
    -I am not exactly sure what teams Minnesota beat, but I assure you it was a schedule that Bernie Bierman or Murray Warmath would not consider viable;
    -Purdue did not meet expectations unless loosing is the objective;
    -Michigan State had their worst season in years... Still a good program with a great coach...

There are some bright spots in the conference... But it the conference as a whole is not where it needs to be to any type of bragging rights. I have been a huge Big Ten fan for close to 50 years-And it is painful to write this but observations short of this would be disingenuous. More importantly, nothing in the sports world would make me happier (other than another Cubs appearance in the World Series) than to be proven wrong this season.

So will there be improvement? There are obviously more optimistic fans than me which is encouraging.

Every conference has their weaknesses. Wasn't exactly a great year for the sec either.

I doubt Woody Hayes ever had a team that was 128 out of 128 in experience. Was quite an achievement making the playoffs. Which by the way, the Big ten just missed out getting two teams in.

The Big Ten did have some good wins last year. They also had some horrible losses that always get etched into the memory banks. Let's see if 2017 brings better results. I'm cautiously optimistic.

mark

Ohio State lost to Clemson in a manner in which Woody Hayes likely turned in his grave;

I certainly agree. Although OSU does not lose often, in the last few years when they have lost they were beaten up badly by a more physical team The last two loses to Clemson and the loss to MSU in the BIG title game certainly come to mind.

Ralph

Hoping for a decent game tonight in Indiana!

What I Collect:

Bring on Oklahoma

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brick, more often than not the bad OSU losses are Coaching losses. one of the worst was that MSU game.

First upset of the year.

Maryland defeats #23 Texas.

edited September 2, 2017 9:39PM

Rough night for the noles.

33.5 point liberty stuns baylor lol.

Michigan goes 4-0 lifetime vs Florida.

Thought Louisville would spank Purdue. One of the best games of the day.

edited September 4, 2017 2:17AM

My hats off to FSU, they played great defense but my boys did too.

USC....c'mon man.
    Texas Who.
    Give me Liberty or give me Baylor, I'll take Liberty.
    Florida Coach Mc, more comments please.
    Texas A&M, it's a 60 minute game.....duhhhhhhhhhhh

Next week, 4 teams get a loss.
    OSU vs Oklahoma......go OSU.
    USC vs Stanford.....go Stanford
    Georgia vs Notre Dame.....go Georgia
    Clemson vs Auburn.....go Clemson

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭

Is the Big 12 still a power conference? Geez. Sad to see how they have fallen. Maybe, in a few years, they can make a comeback like the Big 10 has!?

As to the Big 10 they are night and day different than 5 years ago. An amazing turn around. It wasn't that long ago that they were below the Mountain West and now they are legitimately in the conversation with the SEC for best conference.

I have some concern about my Pac 12 this year but it's early so we shall see....

I see three levels of conferences at this point:

SEC/BIG 10

Pac 12/ACC

Big 12/Mountain West/etc....

What finishes Sunday night

UCLA wow

m

UCLA with the comeback of the decade. Rosen is for real.

This is why I love college football.

@garnettstyle said:
    UCLA with the comeback of the decade. Rosen is for real.

This is why I love college football.

Yep

m

I turned off the UCLA game at 44-10 in the late 3rd. Lol.

edited September 10, 2017 2:44AM

@larryallen73 said:
    I turned off the UCLA game at 44-10 in the late 3rd. Lol.

When I saw the final score this morning I thought about you Larry, great game !!

My Top 4

1. Oklahoma
    2. Michigan
    3. Wisconsin
    4. Penn State
    edited September 5, 2017 12:45PM

Updated AP Top 10:

RK TEAM REC PTS
    1 Alabama(60) 1-0 1524
    2 Ohio State(1) 1-0 1445
    3 Clemson 1-0 1317
    4 Penn State 1-0 1303
    5 Oklahoma 1-0 1253
    6 USC 1-0 1224
    7 Washington 1-0 1083
    8 Michigan 1-0 1051
    9 Wisconsin 1-0 979
    10 Florida State 0-1 976

I think the top 10 looks pretty solid after week 1. I don't see any glaring issues with it.

What I Collect:

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

great to see Larry (UT), Moe (Baylor) and Curly (A&M) putting this surfeit of in-state high school talent to good use

Are all Oklahoma coeds blonde?

m

Oh my, they say a picture is worth a thousand words, I can only think of one....OVERRATED !!!

@garnettstyle said:
    Bring on Oklahoma

:'(

Oklahoma got revenge. The home team has yet to win in this series. Overall the big ten went 4-3 this week against the power five.

Oklahoma was by far the better team with the best QB. At least the Buckeyes won't be embarrassed in the National Championship Playoffs.

Ralph

It's a long season. Long way to go before we know who the top 4 are. Having said that I should hope Ohio State drops a lot as that was quite a beating. They could still get back to the top 4 but will take some work.

It's a long season

mark

1. Alabama [58 first place votes]
    2. Oklahoma [2]
    3. Clemson [1]
    4. USC
    5. Penn State
    6. Washington
    7. Michigan
    8. Ohio State
    9. Oklahoma State
    10. Wisconsin
    11. Florida State
    12. LSU
    13. Georgia
    14. Louisville
    15. Auburn
    16. Virginia Tech
    17. Miami
    18. Kansas State
    19. Stanford
    20. TCU
    21. Washington State
    22. South Florida
    23. Tennessee
    24. Florida
    25. UCLA

Clemson visits Louisville next Saturday. I'm picking Louisville to upset the Tigers.

I have one question for Clemson fans, why did you storm the field after beating Auburn? You're the National Champs, act like you been there, done that.....btw, congrats on beating that Cow College, again.

Props to the Georgia Bulldogs, South Bend is a tough place to play.

October 21 is shaping up to be a huge game, Michigan at Penn State. I remember when Franklin was at Vandy, he put out some very good teams. His teams will battle, I do know that.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Dawgs represented! All that red in South Bend was a sight to see!! Unreal

The Clemson coach and institution have no class.

I am surprised OSU didn't fall further than 8 to be honest. I thought for sure they would go to 10 or even lower.

I would normally say a team like PSU shouldn't have dropped a spot after a big rivalry win over Pitt (granted Pitt isn't as good this year as they were last year), but Oklahoma, Clemson, and USC all beat good ranked teams so I am okay with them dropping one spot.

Big win by Georgia at Notre Dame, it is a tough place to play, though I'm not sure Notre Dame is really that good of a team this year anyways.

Also, I agree that the PSU-Michigan game is shaping up to be a big one. Looking at the schedules, both teams have a good chance to be 6-0 going into the game. I already have my tickets and plans made for that one!

What I Collect:

@orioles93 said:
    I am surprised OSU didn't fall further than 8 to be honest. I thought for sure they would go to 10 or even lower.

I would normally say a team like PSU shouldn't have dropped a spot after a big rivalry win over Pitt (granted Pitt isn't as good this year as they were last year), but Oklahoma, Clemson, and USC all beat good ranked teams so I am okay with them dropping one spot.

Big win by Georgia at Notre Dame, it is a tough place to play, though I'm not sure Notre Dame is really that good of a team this year anyways.

Also, I agree that the PSU-Michigan game is shaping up to be a big one. Looking at the schedules, both teams have a good chance to be 6-0 going into the game. I already have my tickets and plans made for that one!

FWIW The difference between 8-10 teams is only a few points.

mark

@Justacommeman said:

@orioles93 said:

FWIW The difference between 8-10 teams is only a few points.

mark

Very true. I also understand rankings don't mean a whole lot this early in the year. Probably just over analyzing.

What I Collect:

I have business in Memphis so am going to try to check out the UCLA game this weekend. Just saw this on CBS. Only 3 point favorites.

"UCLA (-3) at Memphis: A California team traveling across the country to play a game at noon ET -- 9 a.m. according to their body clock? I love what Josh Rosen brings to the table, but Memphis had an extra week and would love to make a statement against a Power Five program at home. Watch out, UCLA. It's a trap!"

@larryallen73 said:
    I have business in Memphis so am going to try to check out the UCLA game this weekend. Just saw this on CBS. Only 3 point favorites.

"UCLA (-3) at Memphis: A California team traveling across the country to play a game at noon ET -- 9 a.m. according to their body clock? I love what Josh Rosen brings to the table, but Memphis had an extra week and would love to make a statement against a Power Five program at home. Watch out, UCLA. It's a trap!"

Could be a decent game. Memphis was okay last year, they had a big win against Houston, went 8-5, and lost to Western Kentucky in a bowl game. I don't see UCLA losing this game though, Rosen will have a big day and put it away early.

What I Collect:

I don't know why we're #1, our defense is pitiful. We better score at least 40 a game for the rest of the year, and that might not be enough. Clemson #1, and then there's the rest of us.

Most of the SEC stunk it up yesterday.
    Tennessee.....c'mon man.
    LSWho.......c'mon man 2.
    A&M...shooting birds at the fans....classic.
    Purdue beat who, by how much?

Sec looking pretty bad right now. But we're only three weeks in. I was surprised in the LSU score.