Home U.S. Coin Forum

The OFFICIAL COINSTAR FINDS THREAD

georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Rather than happy hunter folk starting up a new thread every time something interesting gets snagged, I thought it might be useful to have an OFFICIAL place for them :)

Previously my oldest coin found in a reject bin was a 1920 Lincoln cent. But yesterday Walmart yielded an 1892 Canada 5¢ silver!
and a small handful of the usual crap that included a 1941 wheat.

I included a previous coinstar Canada 1931 5¢ in the photo as it is a relatively "valuable" find as these things go.

I am in Florida.

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2017 3:18PM

Just pulled a 1 Singapore cent today

and a euro cent a couple of weeks ago

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Yesterday I got a 1929 and 1942 pennies.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never see anything at my grocery store coinstar. but a couple of weeks ago I picked out a pretty prooflike canadian quarter.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UnclePennyBags said:
    Most of these were my own rejects, but quite a few are coinstar finds... I get cent rolls from my bank and then cash them in for gift cards at the coinstar....

Living in New York I get a lot of Canadian coins... I save them up until my next trip to Canada where I give them back.... Its been about 6 years since the last time I took them back and I have $17.00 rolled + this pile.... I think I'm going to trade it for a silver maple leaf next time I cross the border.

You were suppose to leave the coins in the bin for ME! LOL :D

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

BoA sent out my hoard of pennies, they don't have a coin counting machine. No $ deducted but it is a wait.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My coinstars have been devoid of 'rejects' for the last couple of weeks....seems it goes in cycles.... Cheers, RickO

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found/Free money is good money :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 euro cent about 3 weeks ago
    1 Singapore cent (lower left) about 2 weeks ago
    the rest came a couple of days ago.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Nice finds :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Euro's seem to show up frequently in the reject bin.... must be a lot of 'travelers' in my area.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most interesting item that I have found in a CoinStar-type reject bin was this penny altered to pass as a dime.

United States Cent 1946-S altered to pass as a dime

The coin was probably altered with a file to pass as a dime in a vending machine.
    It weighs 2.67gm, is 19mm in diameter, and the sides are smooth.

I had heard of pennies altered this way but this was the first that I have seen.

Copper and silver have similar electrical properties and this was also the reason for replacing silver coins with copper clad coins in the 1960's.

On December 3, 2010 President Obama pardoned a man for doing this "coin mutilation" in 1963:
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=797038

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Just the usual mix of US & foreign. But this is the first time I have had batteries in the mix!!

The half is 1977.

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yesterday I found handful of stuck together coins. it was kinda gross

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

No picture, but a battery, a couple Lincolns, a state quarter, and

Either an impair proof or BU 1956 Roosevelt with some nice album toning.

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uncle penny bags
    FYI. Pennies are no longer legal tender in Canada. Unless you have numismatic value you'll be out of luck. Banks and merchants nor refuse them

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2019 4:31AM

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

love the canadian 31 nickel

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2017 8:09AM

No headlights:

Pennies are still legal tender in Canada. All Canadian money ever made, bills or coins is, and hopefully will always be, perfectly legal tender. Fact that it is recommended by the Feds not to circulate the pennies is simple. They want to remove them from circulation as they cost more to make than they are worth. And it is so much easier to do without them.
    Any transaction can still include pennies. However, it is up to the merchant to accept or not. Banks are technically "not allowed" to give them out any longer.... but, some still do if you ask and they know you.
    paper only transactions are still done "to the penny".
    Again, Canadian pennies of any age, are legal tender! B)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Four dimes and nine cents.... one a 1918 wheatie....got a 1916 wheatie last week.... Cheers, RickO

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    The most interesting item that I have found in a CoinStar-type reject bin was this penny altered to pass as a dime.

A lot of work for 9 cents!!

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

At one time, for kids, that nine cents was significant.... I recall penny candy and five cent candy bars.... Cheers, RickO

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2017 6:36AM

Just got my wife to start checking about six months ago.

Most of the time, there's nothing, and I tell her that someone else probably just checked.

About 1 in 4 times she finds a few foreign or US coins. Found one silver dime about 3 months ago which was quite exciting and the first silver from circulation in years.

Question: Why the rejected US coins that look like they should have been accepted? I've checked weights on these and they are always right. They are not damaged. Is the electromagnetic signature wrong?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure that some cable television network has discussed a "reality" program involving alleged CoinStar finds.

It looks gold and I am reading ... "Brasher"

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually, I see nothing. Sometimes I see a handful of foreign coins. Over time, I've found just over 5 euros in euro coins ranging from one euro to one euro cent, I've also found over 5 Singapore dollars in change ranging from a Singapore $ to a Singapore cent.

I occasionally find some U.S. clad coins; I guess some people are lazy. Twice I have found a silver dime.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭

Found my first silver ('64 dime) last week!

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a 1943 steel cent the other day when dumping my stash in my bank's coin counter. Turned out it came out of my own stash.... I don't know how that slid by me going into the jug... :|

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

7 troy oz of silver ? :smile:

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:

Not a coinstar but the coin machine at one of my credit unions yielded this last Thursday.

Jackpot.

Nice, my local grocery store coinstar machine has had a coupe of rejected deformed modern cents in the past seven years.

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sellitstore said:

Question: Why the rejected US coins that look like they should have been accepted? I've checked weights on these and they are always right. They are not damaged. Is the electromagnetic signature wrong?

I use the machines every couple of months to clear out my change jar.....and they just do that occasionally. Maybe they get too many into the sorter at once, or a couple coins stick together, or something similar. I just keep an eye on the "reject" slot, and feed them through again. They seldom get rejected a second time.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never even seen a CoinStar machine :o

GrandAm :)
    edited July 21, 2017 8:57PM

@GRANDAM said:
    I have never even seen a CoinStar machine :o

Various treasures of extreme value are located in that little square green hole in the middle of the bottom half.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2017 8:57PM

Never seen one anywhere that I go,,,, not in my grocery store,,,,,

update,,,,,

Humm,,,,,, I just Googled CoinStar Machine locations and it seems there IS one in the grocery that I go to every week,,,,,, and in the local Walmart,,,, guess I should pay more attention when I am shopping :|

GrandAm :)

The biggest supermarket by me has it in the most unusual out of the way spot. It's buried in an alcove surrounded by all the bread products.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    The biggest supermarket by me has it in the most unusual out of the way spot. It's buried in an alcove surrounded by all the bread products.

I work for a wine distributor here in the NE - I am in and out of a lot of stores(which is why I find good stuff) I notice that stores place them in some pretty odd places sometimes. Most of the time they are in the front of the store near the customer service counter. But they can be found by bathrooms, in vending machine alcoves etc.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

@SaorAlba ... Wow... Now that is an amazing group of coins....I assume you get to check the machine or empty it .... no way all of that could be in the reject bin... :o Congratulations on the best group of silver found I have seen posted here....or on other forums....Cheers, RickO

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saor - Wow! That looks to be an ENTIRE ROLL!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

An OLD one! from a grocery store slot

• A nice AU 1964-D quarter two weeks ago in a Coinstar. My oldest find was a couple of barbarous radiates (3rd - 4th century AD/CE imitations of Roman coins) two or three years ago. That was a surprise!

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭

Only Coinstar machines I'm aware of nearby are at a grocery chain store and a Walmart. The Walmart one is right by the customer service counter with people lined up there all the time. No way any left-over coin gets past THOSE customers' eagle eyes! As a result, I have never found anything at those machines! ;-(

Four dimes and nine cents.... all modern.....@DBSTrader2... I agree about the Walmart Coinstar....never anything in there.....Cheers, RickO

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

My oldest find was a couple of barbarous radiates (3rd - 4th century AD/CE imitations of Roman coins) two or three years ago.

That's going to be hard to beat, but not impossible.

I've been waiting for someone to report finding anything "ancient". Those qualify. Congratulations.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    At one time, for kids, that nine cents was significant.... I recall penny candy and five cent candy bars.... Cheers, RickO

I remember when candy bars went from 5c to 10c.
    What a kick in the n*ts for a kid!

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the clarification. I go to Ontario every Summer. No merchants I have come in contact accept pennies. So they may be legal but difficult to actually spend. The US should follow suit, Canada is way ahead of us when it comes to common cents

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

Considering one of the nicknames for money, that's actually a logical place for it.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file